It's Us, Deadpool Offer

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said: by
    I got the "Rare Avengers" offer. I already have a max champed Steve and I wouldn't really say that 3*Widow and Hawkguy are particularly hard to come by.

Very strange offer for players who have been playing a few years, the Deadpool one sounds more intriguing.
    How about just have both offers out there for all.  Let the sale happen.  Run you analytics later.  Can't be that hard to pull stats on the players who buy the bundle, prior buy history, crash it all together and look for trends.
    Agreed but then I really don't understand the metrics of A B testing.
    You segment the base. Split those segments into 2 groups. Give each group a different offer. See how they sell. For example, a segment would be say players with the game less then 30 days who've bought the starter offer.
    That wouldn't be a very useful AB test though, since you've got two variables at play: the type of the offer and the segment of the user base.
    If you're testing two offers or two prices for an offer, you want the demographics of the A and B groups to be as close to the demographics of the whole user base as possible.  That gives you more certainty that any observed differences between the groups are due to the different offers.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Good Morning everyone!

So last night I bought the DP offer (as soon as I saw it), and then this morning when I logged in there is now a new offer available for me. So either there will be new offers every 12 hours or so, or perhaps one new every day, I'm not clear on this, but as I have about 4 days to justify another spend, I think I'll wait this time. If there is a new offer every day it will be really cool to have multiple bundle choices to choose from.

This morning's bundle:

Legendary Avengers (8x value): 
    6 covers for Hulkbuster (2 for each power)
    6 covers for Nick Fury (2 for each power)
    1 LL token
    1 3* Quinjet support
    4000 HP
    500 RISO
    30 K ISO8

This for me is for £25.99 so it's probably $29.99 for you Americans. It's available for 4 days in the HfH store.

I don't know if this is because I bought the DP offer, or it would have come up anyway.

(Also what is the starter pack? Or was? Was it the first ever pack offered to you? Still not quite clear how some people got given different choices...)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just in case anyone doesn't remember what the starter pack includes, visit this link to refresh your memory:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/70133/marvel-puzzle-quest-starter-pack-updated-1-25-18#latest

Starter Pack = "Geared towards players just starting out, or in the early 2 to 3-Star transition phases, this offer contains covers for some of players' favorite 2-Star and 3-Star characters."

I'm not sure what that outburst is about because it doesn't make sense.  The starter pack was geared towards newbies and the bundle for Rare Avengers are targeted at those still in 3* land. 

Basically, there are four group of players:

1) players who bought only the starter pack (Rare Avengers offer)

2) players who didn't buy the starter pack but bought others (DP offer)

3) players who bought both (will see both Rare Avengers and DP offer, but Rare Avengers appear first)

4) players who bought nothing (see no offer)

After purchasing DP, you will see a series of new offers.

• randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    jamesh said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said: by
    I got the "Rare Avengers" offer. I already have a max champed Steve and I wouldn't really say that 3*Widow and Hawkguy are particularly hard to come by.

Very strange offer for players who have been playing a few years, the Deadpool one sounds more intriguing.
    How about just have both offers out there for all.  Let the sale happen.  Run you analytics later.  Can't be that hard to pull stats on the players who buy the bundle, prior buy history, crash it all together and look for trends.
    Agreed but then I really don't understand the metrics of A B testing.
    You segment the base. Split those segments into 2 groups. Give each group a different offer. See how they sell. For example, a segment would be say players with the game less then 30 days who've bought the starter offer.
    That wouldn't be a very useful AB test though, since you've got two variables at play: the type of the offer and the segment of the user base.
    If you're testing two offers or two prices for an offer, you want the demographics of the A and B groups to be as close to the demographics of the whole user base as possible.  That gives you more certainty that any observed differences between the groups are due to the different offers.
    I don’t disagree with you at all.  Just stating a possible type of marketing test that may have been done. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just in case anyone doesn't remember what the starter pack includes, visit this link to refresh your memory:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/70133/marvel-puzzle-quest-starter-pack-updated-1-25-18#latest

Starter Pack = "Geared towards players just starting out, or in the early 2 to 3-Star transition phases, this offer contains covers for some of players' favorite 2-Star and 3-Star characters."

I'm not sure what that outburst is about because it doesn't make sense.  The starter pack was geared towards newbies and the bundle for Rare Avengers are targeted at those still in 3* land. 

Basically, there are four group of players:

1) players who bought only the starter pack (Rare Avengers offer)

2) players who didn't buy the starter pack but bought others (DP offer)

3) players who bought both (will see both Rare Avengers and DP offer, but Rare Avengers appear first)

4) players who bought nothing (see no offer)

After purchasing DP, you will see a series of new offers.

And I think you will find that plenty of above 3* players purchased the pack due to perceived value. And good value it was too. So I'm not quite sure what you are saying. There were 18 3* in that pack + all other assorted goodies - hardly a million miles away from the Rare Pack on offer, no?
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    For me they missed the marketing mark. Yes, I did buy the $7.99 starter bundle, but not because I was in 3* land, because when I compare the cost for ISO in the store for a Mother Lode and ignore everything else, the 16,000 ISO was worth $20.51. For $8 when I figured in the other stuff I thought, eh, what the heck. (Yes I know ISO is ridiculously overpriced in the store but I'm ISO poor, so sue me).

With this new rare avengers deal, there is still a resource value (though the % discount is still good it isn't as high at $32.05 worth of ISO for $16), but really the issue is now I'm at a point where 4* covers are more meaningful.

DISCLAIMER: My 4* Deadpool has been sitting at 5/1/5 for quite some time, now with 4 saved covers to boot. So I may be a little more cranky about not yet getting the Deadpool offer than I should be.
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    This quote so clearly describes my experience:

> Unfortunately, the packs that followed which escalated in price came thick and fast with no even spacing between. Players such as myself who were VIP and then bought the SP just couldn't justify another purchase in such a short period.

At the time, I was surprised that the SCL offer came so quickly after buying SP and VIP. Seemed a bit 'greedy' to be honest. And I almost cried later on when I realized I should have bought it anyway, because I ended up spending more than that later on, and getting less for it.

MPQ gives buying choices to players before they really understand the game economy, and the actual value of those packages. By the time I figured that out, I think I let two of the SCL offers slip past, but bought all the others since then.

Definitely going to buy DP and others. Just have to wait through Rare Avengers first.

• rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Sweet.  Just bought the DP offer, one of the elite tokens gave me a champed hawkguy which gave me a champed KB hawkeye which gave me a Clint Barton bringing him to 3/1/1
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    JHawkInc said:
    This seems like an odd topic to get bent out of shape over.

They're trying to offer more bundles because players like them. They're trying to target different bundles to different players based on their spending habits. Players can have access to both over time (that means it's NOT A/B testing, by definition). They're deliberately spacing these bundles out so that people who budget can get several bundles over time, instead of having several available at once and being forced to choose. And they're setting a precedent where, over time, they could have a dozen or more bundles to offer, and can cherry pick which ones they provide based on what's best suited to the player in question (good for the player, AND good for the game if people spend more)

How is any of that a bad thing?

Oh, and the Rare Avengers pack is perfectly named. It contains three characters, all Avengers, of the Rare rarity. They're 3*s. Rares. Not 1's or 2's (Common/Uncommon) or 4's/5's (Legendary/Epic). Go to your roster, pick any 3-star character, and it says they're Rare, right over the name. It's not double-speak, it's you not being familiar with game terms.
    I don't really have an issue with this apart from using the Starter Pack as a deciding factor in what offers are shown. Here is why:

1.) At the time it was offered, it was clearly the best value pack the game had offered and so that was a big enticement for players to spend based upon what had come before. The forums reflected that many purchases were made based upon perceived value for money vs what else had been available and not necessarily because a particular player needed the contents.
    2.) Unfortunately, the packs that followed which escalated in price came thick and fast with no even spacing between. Players such as myself who were VIP and then bought the SP just couldn't justify another purchase in such a short period. That doesn't reflect non-willingness to buy but simple spending within comfortable margins on what is purely entertainment.

So whilst the data on who purchased is valuable, it is also probably wildly skewed by other factors at that time, not least being that it was something fairly unprecedented. I can see the benefit in not swamping us with offers but I also think that using that particular historical purchase as a jumping on factor is flawed.

Hey ho, so it goes.
    After re-reading the post from Brigby, i think some people still have it confused.  

If you bought the starter, you got the RA pack. If you bought something else, you got the DP offer.  You may even get the DP offer after the RA offer, so getting upset over not getting it for a few days seems weird.  

Also, it does make sense how they went about it.  The SP was a bunch of 3* stuff for super cheap.  Like maybe 8 bucks.  If you didnt even drop 8 bucks for some 3* stuff, it's not outside the realm of reason that you will not drop almost twice as much for more 3* stuff.  They figure either you are strictly free to play, or are in the 4* teir.  So they send out the DP pack instead.

Again, this makes sense. If you are in the 4* range and buy the pack, they now know even more conclusively that you will not buy 3* packs, and will probably tailor more purchases towards you.  

Keeping in mind, this isn't all happening in a bubble, you have thousands of people who play blissfully unaware of the arguments taking place on this forum, and buy packs when they suit them, and ignore the ones that don't.  Just because a particular pack doesn't interest you doesn't mean their aren't *thousands* of people out there who are interested.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the spacing between them is not enough.  Like someone else mentioned.......I bought the RA pack for $15 (for reasons) and then 12 hrs later, I'm presented with the DP pack for $20.  Why would I buy that 12 hrs later?  Even 3 days from now I wouldn't buy it.  I would buy 1 or the other within the week, not both.  I'm already spending too much money on this game and would like to cut it back.  I think D3 would get more sales if they presented special packs once a week.......but if they did that, then people would never buy HP outright (Logan's Loonies, Asgard Treasure, Stark Salary). 

If they have a stream of packs they want to sell, then simply present all of them to me at once and I'll decide which one I want.  If you present them back to back, people are not likely to keep buying them, IMO.  It feels taxing. 
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    There seems to be an unwillingness to offer these packages for newer characters, and it's really throwing me for a loop. Show me a package thats going to give me 6 frickin covers of Ghost, Nebula, Emma, or anyone else released post-updated pack odds and I'll buy it quicker than the devs can say "chimichanga". 6 covers for someone who feeds me a 5-star? Give me that all day.

But 6 covers for my Lv. 310 Deadpool? My Lv. 298 Nick Fury? My Lv. 292 Hulkbuster? Not quite as impactful for me. I get that most of the time the main contributing factor to the appeal of the deal is that you're typically getting way more Hero Points + everything else for less than  you would get on spending money for that amount of Hero Points alone. However as someone who doesn't necessarily need to buy HP to keep a decent amount handy, another thing that makes these harder to buy for me right now. 
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:

Eh. It was more 2400 Hero Points for less than $20 that made me nab it. The 26 additional covers combined was just gravy on top of the HP deal, and it gave me the last 6 levels to max champ my Cap America and take a spin on the classic Legendary covers as well as latest legendary covers. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly, I didn't need the resources in the pack, but buying it speed things up for me.  The 3* covers gave me champ rewards with 4* covers.  The HP was used to roster new 4*s, the ISO I can always use to champ someone.  Applying all those covers gets me closer to the next shield rank ISO reward.  It's just an overall boost for $15 or $20.  Is that worth it?  Maybe, maybe not. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    DAZ0273 said:
    JHawkInc said:

They're trying to offer more bundles because players like them. They're trying to target different bundles to different players based on their spending habits. Players can have access to both over time (that means it's NOT A/B testing, by definition). They're deliberately spacing these bundles out so that people who budget can get several bundles over time, instead of having several available at once and being forced to choose. And they're setting a precedent where, over time, they could have a dozen or more bundles to offer, and can cherry pick which ones they provide based on what's best suited to the player in question (good for the player, AND good for the game if people spend more)

Oh, and the Rare Avengers pack is perfectly named. It contains three characters, all Avengers, of the Rare rarity. They're 3*s. Rares. Not 1's or 2's (Common/Uncommon) or 4's/5's (Legendary/Epic). Go to your roster, pick any 3-star character, and it says they're Rare, right over the name. It's not double-speak, it's you not being familiar with game terms.
    I don't really have an issue with this apart from using the Starter Pack as a deciding factor in what offers are shown. Here is why:

1.) At the time it was offered, it was clearly the best value pack the game had offered and so that was a big enticement for players to spend based upon what had come before. The forums reflected that many purchases were made based upon perceived value for money vs what else had been available and not necessarily because a particular player needed the contents.
    2.) Unfortunately, the packs that followed which escalated in price came thick and fast with no even spacing between. Players such as myself who were VIP and then bought the SP just couldn't justify another purchase in such a short period. That doesn't reflect non-willingness to buy but simple spending within comfortable margins on what is purely entertainment.

So whilst the data on who purchased is valuable, it is also probably wildly skewed by other factors at that time, not least being that it was something fairly unprecedented. I can see the benefit in not swamping us with offers but I also think that using that particular historical purchase as a jumping on factor is flawed.

Hey ho, so it goes.
    After re-reading the post from Brigby, i think some people still have it confused.  

If you bought the starter, you got the RA pack. If you bought something else, you got the DP offer.  You may even get the DP offer after the RA offer, so getting upset over not getting it for a few days seems weird.  

Also, it does make sense how they went about it.  The SP was a bunch of 3* stuff for super cheap.  Like maybe 8 bucks.  If you didnt even drop 8 bucks for some 3* stuff, it's not outside the realm of reason that you will not drop almost twice as much for more 3* stuff.  They figure either you are strictly free to play, or are in the 4* teir.  So they send out the DP pack instead.

Again, this makes sense. If you are in the 4* range and buy the pack, they now know even more conclusively that you will not buy 3* packs, and will probably tailor more purchases towards you.  

Keeping in mind, this isn't all happening in a bubble, you have thousands of people who play blissfully unaware of the arguments taking place on this forum, and buy packs when they suit them, and ignore the ones that don't.  Just because a particular pack doesn't interest you doesn't mean their aren't *thousands* of people out there who are interested.
    I'm not upset, not at all. "Hey ho, so it goes" isn't really a rage filled assault, lol! I was just pointing out the flaws in using the SP as a benchmark.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    JHawkInc said:

Hey ho, so it goes.

I'm not upset, not at all. "Hey ho, so it goes" isn't really a rage filled assault, lol! I was just pointing out the flaws in using the SP as a benchmark.
    That was mostly for other people who seem to be making an issue here.

bbigler said:
    I think the spacing between them is not enough.  Like someone else mentioned.......I bought the RA pack for $15 (for reasons) and then 12 hrs later, I'm presented with the DP pack for $20.  Why would I buy that 12 hrs later?  Even 3 days from now I wouldn't buy it.  I would buy 1 or the other within the week, not both.  I'm already spending too much money on this game and would like to cut it back.  I think D3 would get more sales if they presented special packs once a week.......but if they did that, then people would never buy HP outright (Logan's Loonies, Asgard Treasure, Stark Salary). 

If they have a stream of packs they want to sell, then simply present all of them to me at once and I'll decide which one I want.  If you present them back to back, people are not likely to keep buying them, IMO.  It feels taxing. 
    This is a really good point, and bears repeating when these threads pop up.  I am ok dropping a couple bucks in the game from time to time, over and over every 4 days.  Making these offers as one time only, they make more of us just pass them over altogether.  I bought the starter pack and maybe one other.  I would have bought more, had they been spaced out, or reoccurring.  By limiting the availability, they are limiting the chances of purchased, IMO. 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    There's also a series of offers after the Deadpool offer that'll show up based on whether you bought the previous one in the series.

Does this mean that if I don't buy the Deadpool offer I won't even see the Hulkbuster / Fury or subsequent offers?

Make Mine FOMO!

• randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    I ended up buying the RA pack.  About 12 hrs later the DP pack popped up.  So it worked as Brigby described.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    I totally overreacted. I shouldn't have been so overly hyperbolic and acidic.
    Sorry devs for disparaging your "experiment".
    Sorry forum for bringing in external frustration and dropping a negativity bomb on the thread. I shouldn't have fed the toxicity beast.

I think its absolutely redonk that they used the first bundle as the threshold, It does not reflect the past purchasing of the playerbase, because it only accounts for 1 criteria so not a pattern and any metrics will not be related to the hypothesis of tailoring bundles. It would have garnered better data had they been side by side and we had a choice, then they could have seen that people that bought the SCL 9 bundle are not interested in this RA nearly as much as DP and the increased HP/Chimi. They could see at what level people are still interested in buying 3's. but nothing that I should have been so upset over.

I get the rarity classifications but can you not see the problem with calling a bundle with the most common 3*'s "Rare" - they already had Natasha in a bundle, I'm sure we have seen Cap'n. 

I also am unclear do I have to buy my way through this RA pack in order to get DP, in order to get the next one etc? but confusion is not license to flame out, I shouldn't have and I am sorry.

but I stand by missing Pun's Parodies... they were gold