Gambit Character Update Details (6/26/18)

Comments

• killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    knocking his red down to 1/5 it's old damage and increasing the cost to 10 is excessive. purple not replacing cd is kinda sad cause it was a good counter for most situations especially galactus boss. nerfing his generating colors would have been enough, but i guess wasn't enough in devs minds.  looks like gambit will go away like x-force t4or.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Will Thor be next to be nerfed? He was already the strongest overall character. And now there's no discussion.
    He generates more AP already, without restriction to others using powers AND deals damage while doing so. His red is synergistic with more characters than just Bolt. He has an AoE. And protection in Yellow that boosts his red.

So.. will he be nerfed next?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    knocking his red down to 1/5 it's old damage and increasing the cost to 10 is excessive. purple not replacing cd is kinda sad cause it was a good counter for most situations especially galactus boss. nerfing his generating colors would have been enough, but i guess wasn't enough in devs minds.  looks like gambit will go away like x-force t4or.
    Including the average damage for destroyed charged tiles, it’s more like 75% the previous damage, hardly 1/5th.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 819 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2018
    JSP869 said:
    IceIX said:
    So if I use gambit even once during the next season I get a free LL? Does it have to be pvp or does pve nodes work too?
    He needs to be used in an event in the Mind Stone Season.
    So I'll use him, once, to clear a seed node, then I'll never use him again.
    Because who wants to use a blind, deaf, and castrated dog in a pit fight?
    Mind stone season is before the change. 
    Thank you for the confirmation.

So I'll get one more regular season out of Gambit before he gets reduced in strength

//Removed Inappropriate Content -Brigby
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Many of you asked for nerf and the devs 
    did what you requested and now you are jumping on their back for nerfing Gambit. 

Wow.... 
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Love people crying here about Gambit being now useless.
    Well, hes not the worst 5* in game, so calm down... i understand the frustration of people who lost their overpowered puppet - i see plenty of them in PvP :D
    Good change...
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor

hope people enjoy Thor, okoye and JJ non stop now.

I know my Thor, Okoye, and JJ will.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow you guys are bad at nerfs, or should I say great. Yes he was overpowered, but now he is really bad. His red is maybe the worst power in the game. 20 AP for 10k damage is really bad. Can we expect similar Nerf to Thor and JJ since thier red powers are a 100 times better. Who comes up with this. I was already using JJ and Thor in pve. Now I will never use gambit unless he is required. I sure am glad my gambit was free and I didn't have to buy him. You sure know how to make people look like suckers.
    It's not just 5k damage for 10 AP though: it's 5k damage plus a gain of between 2 and 6 AP depending on the presence of charged tiles.  The old version of the power was crazy, since once you got it going you were doing a huge amount of damage for a net cost of 1 AP.

Maybe another option for changing this power would have been to stop it from gaining AP for the tiles destroyed?
  • Kjeldbjerg
    Kjeldbjerg Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    As someone with a fairly useless selection of 5* along with my gambit, the option to trade him in for 14 covers of my own choice would go a long way towards me being able to still play pvp after the nerf
    @Brigby
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    So much drama for a change that everybody in this forum knew was coming. When they did the nerf-buff, half the people here cried bloody murder, even though it eventually proved to make him an even safer autowin character. You had 9 months of an unchallenged run, two introduced characters that proved that combination of powers was too much.

Post-nerf, just looking at stats, he still looks by far superior to:

Phoenix
    OML
    Archangel
    Doc Ock
    Banner
    Star Lord
    1st Avenger Cap
    IM46

And an argument could be made for Green Goblin, Black Panther, IWCap and others.

Looks solid on upper mid tier, maybe top 10.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    1) A lot of players were complaining about his purple replacing special tiles, rendering some abilities useless. They changed it to replacing the standard special tiles, reduce it to 3 countdown but boosting the overall damage by 43%. Is this a fair change?

2) players were complaining that his red dealt too much damage for low ap. They increased the ap by 43% and also reduced the overall damage by 29%.

3) this is the biggest complain: free ap every turn. By the players' turn 4, he would have gathered 6 red and 6 purple, and destroyed up to 6 random ap. This change switched it to a repeater tile where he could gain up to 3 red and 3 purple ap on the players' 4th turn. 

Even if the dev took away his ability to destroy ap, his passive generation will still remain a problem, because it was the real problem for many. So they switched it to a repeater tile. His total ap generation decreased by 50% (12ap down to 6ap). Would it be better if he generated 4 red and 4 purple ap instead? A 33.33 reduction or 5 red or 5 purple on the 4th turn (16.6% reduction)?
  • Dlanning
    Dlanning Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Gambit is my only well coverd 5 (5/2/4 lvl400) and I’m happy with the nerf, accept for one thing. Black should not block team mates powers. 

The nerf sufficiently slows ap gain enough. 

I have 23 4’s champed but have used gambit and chavez almost exclusively for the past 2 months in both pvp and pve. I’d like to be able to use my one good character with the rest of my roster. This nerf means a large portion of my hard earned roster are still not realy viable team up options. 

Are there any any character matchups that I’m not considering that could possibly be a repeat of the spider gwen/thing/gambit shenanigans that transpired after his first bizarre-nerf??

• WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    While I do believe this was needed, but he should have NEVER been released in the wild like he was. It is truly upsetting to know how much money that was dumped into this game because he was the meta of all meta’s this game has ever seen.  Thousands of Thousands of dollars spent  to get him at a high level to be nerfed like OML.  Why trust any product that is put out into this game if this is what the result will be.
     Again, he needed a rebalance no doubt, but this just shows you your investment in the game isn’t worth anything when it can be ripped away. 
    Worse than expected. Gambit joined the Great Heroes' cemetery, right next to OML, Thoress, XFW, Sentry, Ragnarok and Spidey.
    RIP  :(

This player has had enough to invest money in this game. From now on I will become a F2P player.
    Developpers should use all their creativity skills to create new characters with great counter powers, to add variety to the game and not over nerfing a good character to death. I suppose that those who asked for a Gambit nerf will be happy now.
    Enjoy, till your favorite character will succumb under D3 nerfing axe.
    Who will be the next one? 
    Gthor? ---- Jessica Jones?-----Okoye?
    Stay tuned ....or simply move away
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    1) A lot of players were complaining about his purple replacing special tiles, rendering some abilities useless. They changed it to replacing the standard special tiles, reduce it to 3 countdown but boosting the overall damage by 43%. Is this a fair change?

2) players were complaining that his red dealt too much damage for low ap. They increased the ap by 43% and also reduced the overall damage by 29%.

3) this is the biggest complain: free ap every turn. By the players' turn 4, he would have gathered 6 red and 6 purple, and destroyed up to 6 random ap. This change switched it to a repeater tile where he could gain up to 3 red and 3 purple ap on the players' 4th turn. 

Even if the dev took away his ability to destroy ap, his passive generation will still remain a problem, because it was the real problem for many. So they switched it to a repeater tile. His total ap generation decreased by 50% (12ap down to 6ap). Would it be better if he generated 4 red and 4 purple ap instead? A 33.33 reduction or 5 red or 5 purple on the 4th turn (16.6% reduction)?
    Yep. Pretty much every single thing the echo chamber here complained about was “fixed” and now everyone is upset. 

When people are taking threads off-topic and complaining about Gambit every single second, you can’t really expect them NOT to be heavy-handed with the nerf. They gave the people what they asked for. I for one am sad. 

If they consider removing the purple/red teammate restriction I think he moves from bottom 5 (though not the absolute worst) to top 5 (but not the absolute best). I think if you want to balance him, you consider this fix that MANY in here have suggested (@Brigby). If the goal really is to make him still viable while not guttng him (which is what is occurring) then  yeah... him being a battery (albeit a slow one) for other red users (face it, his is trash now) makes him viable at all tiers of play, gives him a niche, but he’s still very much beatable. 
  • Dlanning
    Dlanning Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    OJSP said:
    Dlanning said:
    Gambit is my only well coverd 5 (5/2/4 lvl400) and I’m happy with the nerf, except for one thing. Black should not block team mates powers. 
    In your situation, the changes are actually beneficial for you because it means you could use any of your 4* to beat other teams with Gambit.

Even if you want to use him, you could bring Blade and Gwenpool. Let him generate purple and red and gather black. Throw everyone airborne with Gwenpool and spam her purple :wink: I used to use this team with the original 3*Gambit (I had no Gambatt, because it didn’t make sense to make one before I championed the original one).
    But his black will still block purple and red powers. That’s my only problem with the nerf. Yes the red ap will still trigger the hunger but that’s not a power worth fielding a 5* ap generator for. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dlanning said:
    OJSP said:
    Dlanning said:
    Gambit is my only well coverd 5 (5/2/4 lvl400) and I’m happy with the nerf, except for one thing. Black should not block team mates powers. 
    In your situation, the changes are actually beneficial for you because it means you could use any of your 4* to beat other teams with Gambit.

Even if you want to use him, you could bring Blade and Gwenpool. Let him generate purple and red and gather black. Throw everyone airborne with Gwenpool and spam her purple :wink: I used to use this team with the original 3*Gambit (I had no Gambatt, because it didn’t make sense to make one before I championed the original one).
    But his black will still block purple and red powers. That’s my only problem with the nerf. Yes the red ap will still trigger the hunger but that’s not a power worth fielding a 5* ap generator for. 

That depends on the level of your Blade.
    At 479 he does about 15k every round, plus whatever strikes there are.