Gambit Character Update Details (6/26/18)

Comments

• thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    The correct thing d3 would have been to make the black change, let everyone know like you did... and let people know you'll be monitoring him for further adjustments if need be.

Then you Push it out with this season so people get to play with it. Get feed back and decide if you are going to make changes or still gathering feed back. But let people know you are still monitoring him

If people or you still think he's to strong, nerf purple... let people know give time to play test live and repeat.

But killing the best character in the game that's the reason for most players even going into 5 land in the 1st place its a terrible idea and roll out.

The game could be played at a decent speed for everyone not in 550 land because of gambit. The game is going to take so much more time now for the same rewards and only to have the strong characters right under gambit become the meta.

It's frustrating.  Gambit was kind of a necessary evil because of how the game is structured. Somethings he dominated like pve boss events and I understand that should change other things he made possible without it being completely frustrating. 

I think this is going to hurt wayyyyy more than help, but mostly because the nerfs are yet again way to heavy handed. But unlike with OML who just allow for constant play gambit allowed for faster play and attacking harder target and events.

Lots of people are gonna drop down slices and pvp is gonna get really top heavy.  All these people think they are  going to see a bunch of character variety but they really aren't and matches are going to be longer with the average amount of damage taken probably being about the same.

I'm interested to see where this goes

With the lack of swaps, and LT...I'm just going to kind of chill and horde more.

I hate that I advanced my roster and champed characters for the game to get harder and slower.... :/  
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    OJSP said:
    This of course, is assuming you aren't using Gambit with Black Bolt, the ONLY other 5* character that currently makes charged tiles. 
    Not sure if there was an editing error or the post was cut off before it’s finished.. Silver Surfer, Star-Lord and Hawkeye make charged tiles too. Add: again, I didn’t mean to repeat what other’s have said above. They just typed faster.

I did a quick scan through the 5s before posting but wasn't really paying attention and overlooked those I don't have champed. Definitely right that there are others that create charged tiles. I don't know which arrow number HE gives charged tiles from, but after revisiting the 5s that make charged tiles only BB and possibly HE would be worth using in most situations for pvp. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    It’s his third.
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks. HE would definitely be viable to create charged tiles in that case, and make a great partner since he would fortify Gambit's purple CDs. Too bad mine's been stuck at 5/1/1 for as long as I can remember. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Can’t seem to miss would seem to have reasonable synergy there as well. Locked out of Deep Breath, but I’d imagine that’s not an awful sacrifice.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gambit needed a nerf, but this seems incredibly excessive.  I mean, we'll have to see how he plays, but at this point he looks about equal to... maybe Star Lord?  Old 5* Cap? Better than Ock and Banner (probably,) but pretty much worse than anyone else.

I honestly think if they left his red alone, he'd probably be okay, maybe mid-tier.  If they left his red alone and sped up his black a bit (maybe make it a 1 turn repeater generating 2 red and purple?) he'd probably be top tier.  The change to his purple looks pretty good, actually, and addresses the fact that he shuts down pretty much any character dependent on special tiles.  His Black needed a nerf, but I think this is too strong.  I'm not sure his red did need a nerf, and regardless this is pretty awful.
  • kenshohmer2
    kenshohmer2 Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Thank You!!
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 435 Mover and Shaker
    They could have just removed the part where he blocks his team mates' powers since his Red has been nerfed. 
  • Freelancer
    Freelancer Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2018
    Really, really hope they run a 'System:Reboot' event that rewards a free random 5* Gambit cover, so I can at least keep him rostered for essentials after being forced to sell my only champed 5*. =(
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Brigby
    Will there be any compensation outside of one single token?
    Because this is an utterly heavy handed and demoralizing nerf. A single champion level at n a character will not help my skewed roster. You basically set my roster back from a near 500 one to a 460 one.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks. HE would definitely be viable to create charged tiles in that case, and make a great partner since he would fortify Gambit's purple CDs. Too bad mine's been stuck at 5/1/1 for as long as I can remember. 
    And since devs refuse to offer vets a non-bandaid solution to building up their five star rosters, expect that to continue.

I could live with the drastic nerf, if I knew that I had hope of building a HE or BP, but it'll never happen new 5 stars player just entering the tier but far enough along in it to be stuck. One of my six champs just became near useless.
  • CathexisZero
    CathexisZero Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    As a baby 5* player (only have Gambit, Thor, and GR champed at the tier), I'm torn.  I like my 5* Gambit and am proud that I was able to get him champed.  He's helped me through a whole lot of PvP.  But...I dunno, he's kind of boring.  Pre-nerf I don't have any incentive to go after other characters for gameplay reasons.  Now I do.  

I guess my real issue is that the token store has too many other 5* covers in there.  The Gambit 5* store should be limited to: Black Bolt, Thor, Oyoke, Jessica, Daredevil, LumberCap, Wasp, Thanos, Panther, and Peter Parker.   

Having my 5* champ be nerfed is heartwrenching but OK in the long run.  Having my 5* champ be nerfed and offered BannerHulk is just insulting.  
  • PsychoNrOne
    PsychoNrOne Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    edited June 2018
    Although Gambit is my first and only 5* champ, I agreed that a nerf was needed. But this is too heavy-handed (at least of everyone having only gambit)

Well then... 13 5* covers for me and back to 4*s only. Maybe i am lucky enough to get the missing covers for my 4/2/5 Thor. Although i don't know if i ever will champ any 5* again (if this is what you get 6 months later).

//Removed Inappropriate Content -Brigby
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 819 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2018
    IceIX said:
    So if I use gambit even once during the next season I get a free LL? Does it have to be pvp or does pve nodes work too?
    He needs to be used in an event in the Mind Stone Season.
    So I'll use him, once, to clear a seed node, then I'll never use him again.

//Removed Insult -Brigby
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 819 Critical Contributor
    fnedude said:
    So I take it, no Rogue->5Gambit feeder than will be announce this season?
    No. This means they absolutely will announce Rogue as Gambit's feeder.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Will be great to get 13 new 5* covers but have a bad feeling I’ll get mostly duplicates 

rather than leaving it to chance why not allow people the chance to champ a different character 

i only have 1 champed 5* which is gambit, so I’d rather have the chance to champ Thor or thanos 

This, among other things, is exactly why this had to happen.  When people can basically complete with only 1 5* - ie super over-powered king of all meta Gambit 1.0/2.0 - then something has to change. 

No disrespect to this person, but why not continue to use Gambit?  Almost any 5* champ is a monster.  Why sell your only champ? 
    Not sure what other characters you used him with, but other than being slower, Gambit still seems pretty functional.  I will agree with others they probably went too far on changing his Red, but he can still power through most modes with good partners.  Yeah, he's not auto-pilot good on offence AND defense anymore, but maybe it's time to start building up some other 5*'s if you are staying in 5* tier of play.  I hear Thor, Okoye and JJ (among others) are all quite nice, with the latter two still in latest and (somewhat) easier to get, RNG being the devil she is.

• Jaedenkaal
    edited June 2018
    JSP869 said:
    IceIX said:
    So if I use gambit even once during the next season I get a free LL? Does it have to be pvp or does pve nodes work too?
    He needs to be used in an event in the Mind Stone Season.
    So I'll use him, once, to clear a seed node, then I'll never use him again.
    Because who wants to use a blind, deaf, and castrated dog in a pit fight?
    Mind stone season is before the change.