Gambit Character Update Details (6/26/18)

1101112131416»

Comments

• LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    tph_james said:
    Gambit is actually slow without Black bolt. Without black bolt, he needs 14 red AP to deal most damage. And to keep dealing most damage, u have to protect the two only charged tiles he himself creates. If both charged tiles are matched or destroyed, he needs to start all over to collect 14 AP again. So as a standalone, he's not that OP. Why don't blame black bolt? 
    Reasonable nerf will be keeping his red, either reduce his AP generation or his AP destruction. Might as well keep his purple also, because of reduced AP generation, his purple will be too slow to be useful. 
    He doesn’t need 14 when you’re facing an enemy gambit, you just need to wait for him to fire red first if there isn’t any other charge tile maker in the match.  

The purple was way way too strong and is now much better.
    The red has been made correctly more expensive and do less damage.
    The black has been correctly made into a more reasonable power.

So to anyone who thinks it didn’t need to be this harsh, but it did.  And don’t act shocked if another 5* takes the nerf bat to the face too like GladiaThor.  We’ve ignored him because of stupid gambit.  Once the Cajun is gone, the ubiquity of Thor will became even more apparent.

• elko90
    elko90 Posts: 68 Match Maker
    @LifeofAgony After the nerf that you suggest to gladiathor they can focus on nerfing bruce banner. I hear he can't be downed thats OP!
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,216 Chairperson of the Boards
    Perhaps Thor will be run a lot, but Thor can be beaten by plenty of other 5’s, and doesn’t (almost) require having him to win. Playing against Gambit without Gambit is possible but risky; Thor can be approached with proven strategies.  The difference, more than anything, is the random AP drain with the current Gambit setup, making any strategy subject to RNG failure or success.  Purple doesn’t help matters, of course.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    @LifeofAgony and who after that?  DD? Okoye?  Jessica? 
  • tph_james
    tph_james Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2018
    tph_james said:
    Gambit is actually slow without Black bolt. Without black bolt, he needs 14 red AP to deal most damage. And to keep dealing most damage, u have to protect the two only charged tiles he himself creates. If both charged tiles are matched or destroyed, he needs to start all over to collect 14 AP again. So as a standalone, he's not that OP. Why don't blame black bolt? 
    Reasonable nerf will be keeping his red, either reduce his AP generation or his AP destruction. Might as well keep his purple also, because of reduced AP generation, his purple will be too slow to be useful. 
    He doesn’t need 14 when you’re facing an enemy gambit, you just need to wait for him to fire red first if there isn’t any other charge tile maker in the match.  

So to anyone who thinks it didn’t need to be this harsh, but it did.  And don’t act shocked if another 5* takes the nerf bat to the face too like GladiaThor.  We’ve ignored him because of stupid gambit.  Once the Cajun is gone, the ubiquity of Thor will became even more apparent.

U can't blame gambit because his opponent is gambit also. And when the opponent is gambit, he still needs to protect the charged tiles. Like I said, just reduce his AP generation/destruction and he is good to go. When he is not that fast to execute his red and purple, enemies can act accordingly.
    If he only generates 1 red and 1 purple, destroys 1 random AP per turn, what do u think?
    While the ap generation/destruction is reduced, remove restriction for allies to fire red/purple powers. It will render weaker gambit defensively in pvp because his allies steal his chances to fire his powers, AI tends to fire powers beyond our comprehension, what do u think?
    In this way, gambit will still be good in pve but weaker in pvp. Just a small tuning to the black, we get a win-win situation, why change all his powers?

Stacked Deck

POWER COST   BlackTilepng  0
    (PASSIVE) Gambit finds an advantage for himself at any cost. At the start of the turn, gain 1 Purple AP. 

Level Upgrades:
    Level 2: At the start of the turn, gain 1 Purple AP and 1 Red AP. 
    Level 3: At the start of the turn, gain 1 Purple AP and 1 Red AP and destroy 1 enemy AP from a random colour.
    Level 4: At the start of the turn, gain 1 Purple AP, 1 Red AP and 50% chance of 1 random AP and destroy 1 enemy AP from a random colour.
    Level 5: At the start of the turn, gain 1 Purple AP, 1 Red AP and 1 random AP and destroy 1 enemy AP from a random color.

Just my 2 cents. 

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint said:
    @LifeofAgony and who after that?  DD? Okoye?  Jessica? 
    Definitely Okoye. OkoyeThor needs no healthpacks and beats 500+ Gambits with ease. I'm sure you have the data.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    tph_james said:

I want to react to this, but first need to know if this was drunk troll post or serious thought.
  • GamBaTron
    GamBaTron Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Brigby said:
     We will also be giving out a Latest Legend token to any player who uses Gambit (Classic) over the upcoming Mind Stone Season.

This is the part I'm most interested in. Whatever that says about me. :)
    Did I miss my chance to get this LL token? Or can I still use Gambit somewhere to get it? 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Brigby said:

The Marvel Legends store contains only the following 5-star characters:
    • Archangel (Classic)
    • Black Bolt (Inhuman King)
    • Black Panther (Civil War)
    • Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff)
    • Captain America (First Avenger)
    • Captain America (Infinity War)
    • Daredevil (Matt Murdock)
    • Doctor Strange (Sorcerer Supreme)
    • Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes)
    • Green Goblin (Norman Osborn)
    • Hawkeye (Clint Barton)
    • Iron Man (Mark XLVI)
    • Jean Grey (Phoenix)
    • Jessica Jones (Alias Investigations)
    • Okoye (Warrior General)
    • Silver Surfer (Skyrider)
    • Spider-Man (Back in Black)
    • Spider-Man (Peter Parker)
    • Star-Lord (Awesome Mix Volume 2)
    • Thanos (The Mad Titan)
    • The Hulk (Bruce Banner)
    • Thor (Gladiator)
    • (Unannounced)
    • Wolverine (Old Man Logan)
    @Brigby

Can you confirm if the 'Unannounced' is Wasp?  If so can you update the post now that she has been announced?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Brigby said:

• Archangel (Classic)
    • Hawkeye (Clint Barton)
    • Iron Man (Mark XLVI)
    • Jean Grey (Phoenix)
    • Thanos (The Mad Titan)
    • Thor (Gladiator)
    • (Unannounced)
    @Brigby

Can you confirm if the 'Unannounced' is Wasp?  If so can you update the post now that she has been announced?
    Also any updates on the team tweaking Gambit so he’s not complete trash (removing the teammate restriction). It’d be nice to know BEFORE the option to sell goes live. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    broll said:
    Brigby said:

• Archangel (Classic)
    • Hawkeye (Clint Barton)
    • Iron Man (Mark XLVI)
    • Jean Grey (Phoenix)
    • Thanos (The Mad Titan)
    • Thor (Gladiator)
    • (Unannounced)
    Brigby

Yes. That's Wasp. I've updated it to list Wasp (Hope Van Dyne) as one of the 5-Star characters in that list.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,650 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Brigby Is there a reason why doc oc is excluded from the special token store? I was honestly considering selling my gambit until I saw I had no chance of getting covers for otto. I know I am an oddball for wanting a otto but I really enjoy him.
  • tph_james
    tph_james Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    Brigby said:
    Brigby any chances on removing the teammate power restriction on Gambit's black before this goes live? It's overkill to keep that on there when he doesn't generate AP at near the same level he used to. As mentioned previously, Iron Man 40 and Vulture can both generate more AP than him in the same time frame, and much more easily in the case of Vulture.
    They're still evaluating his design, but rest assured that suggestion is an idea we've brought up to the development team for their consideration.
    @Brigby, when will Gambit final design be announced? 
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    @Brigby When does his special sale price end? End of the season or start of the new season?
    (He is most likely pve essential  during last days of the season, so best would be if people had a couple days after that...)