Share Your Experience Of The New Hybrid PVP Here

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Update after 4/4 75 wins with a 5* roster.

Improvement suggestions:
    1.  75 wins feels like too much per event and too low for Simulator.  Change per event max to 50 (60 tops) and Simulator to 100 or 120.
    2.  3* PvP & 4* PvP are not created equal.  4* PvP should either have higher rewards or lower thresholds (prefer higher rewards).

Even if left unchanged wins based is the way to play for me.  Me post wins based:

• Century
    Century Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    29 wins, 948 in S.H.I.E.L.D. Simulator. 

I never play PvP but now that I feel I can actually manage to attain the progression rewards despite retaliation hits. Haven't tried playing any of the shorter PvP events given that it's the She Hulk one right now and I hadn't thought of playing PvP until that one had begun. 

This does make me more interested to play PvP on a more regular basis, I have to say. 
  • elko90
    elko90 Posts: 68 Match Maker
    edited July 2018
    Got to 1210 points on trial by combat with only 20 wins... IMO 75 wins is way too much, as many have said 60 wins is a more reasonable option 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    elko90 said:
    Got to 1210 points on trial by combat with only 20 wins... IMO 75 wins is way too much, as many have said 60 wins is a more reasonable option 
    If you can get to 1200, the 75 option is not for you.
  • elko90
    elko90 Posts: 68 Match Maker
    Bowgentle said:
    elko90 said:9
    If you can get to 1200, the 75 option is not for you.
    It is not an option for me but it is an option for many, and when people are motivated its much better for the game 
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    I have gotten to 40 wins/900 points on each of the character PVPs since the change, where before I was usually 575 and out. In some cases I got to 900 points in under 40 wins (~30) and the rest it took the 40 wins.

What I am realizing is that the character PVPs are not that fun for me. While I can do the work to get the cover, it's already feeling like a slog more often than not. I'm enjoying simulator more because the teams are more varied & I can use a wider selection of my roster. The boosted characters in the character PVPs mean much less variety the higher you go.

I don't know what the solution is, but I don't feel that the wins mechanic is going to increase my PVP engagement for very long.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Reecoh said:
    I have gotten to 40 wins/900 points on each of the character PVPs since the change, where before I was usually 575 and out. In some cases I got to 900 points in under 40 wins (~30) and the rest it took the 40 wins.

What I am realizing is that the character PVPs are not that fun for me. While I can do the work to get the cover, it's already feeling like a slog more often than not. I'm enjoying simulator more because the teams are more varied & I can use a wider selection of my roster. The boosted characters in the character PVPs mean much less variety the higher you go.

I don't know what the solution is, but I don't feel that the wins mechanic is going to increase my PVP engagement for very long.
    It will depends what slice you play in. Now the reason you see more teams in SIM is because this is the entire PVP pool.  Every single person that plays SIM you can q with no slice restriction. 

Now imagne PVP where it would be like SIM and you can see all of these teams.  That would help out so much more with many many more targets.  In order to make it like SIM they would have to remove the time slices which would make this happen. With the way the rewards are now and 3/4* player not being able to see other teams, this should be highly considered. 
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Reecoh said:

It will depends what slice you play in. Now the reason you see more teams in SIM is because this is the entire PVP pool.  Every single person that plays SIM you can q with no slice restriction. 

Now imagne PVP where it would be like SIM and you can see all of these teams.  That would help out so much more with many many more targets.  In order to make it like SIM they would have to remove the time slices which would make this happen. With the way the rewards are now and 3/4* player not being able to see other teams, this should be highly considered. 
    I'm 100% on board with that line of thought. I also wonder if only having the required character be boosted might help create more varied teams too.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    I think the reason why they created boost level is to increase the MMR or range of opponents in PvP.  

MMR is based on the first few highest level character that you have, with a lower and upper limit, and your points in PvP. Number of covers that your character has might be taken into account as well.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    This hasn't changed the way I play at all, usually get to 1200+ with 25+ wins.  But I absolutely applaud the implementation of this system; it makes the whole rewards structure available to anybody willing to put in the time.  I wish it had been around when I was trying to break into 4* land.  While 75 wins is a lot to ask over 3 days, 40 should help anybody trying to chase that cover.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
    20 wins has always been what it takes me to get to 900...the difference now seems to be that I can climb there consistently without being hit then throw up a shield until event end (rather than hop from 800 or so).  On the whole I like the change for that reason. 
  • TheHungryPet
    TheHungryPet Posts: 229 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2018
    Loving the new hybrid system. Got to 900 for both PVP events so far with around 28 wins. It sure helped that R&G and Nico were boosted. Pretty sure Cap will be a similar experience. I do notice that I don't get attacked as much. Both climbs to 900 were one push without shield hopping. Once I hit 900, I shield out to secure placement which is usually T25 for slice 4 or T50 for slice 5.
    Surprised to see so many people needing 20 wins to hit much higher scores. Is this slice-specific? I don't even recall seeing any score above 60 points.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Update after 4/4 75 wins with a 5* roster.

Improvement suggestions:
    1.  75 wins feels like too much per event and too low for Simulator.  Change per event max to 50 (60 tops) and Simulator to 100 or 120.
    2.  3* PvP & 4* PvP are not created equal.  4* PvP should either have higher rewards or lower thresholds (prefer higher rewards).

Even if left unchanged wins based is the way to play for me.  Me post wins based:

Also not having wins in season progression is a bummer. At the end of the season I’ll have done at least 825 wins but probably only get to the 10 pack. There should be a wins score for progression that’s around the cost of hitting progression in every event. 
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the reason why they created boost level is to increase the MMR or range of opponents in PvP.  

MMR is based on the first few highest level character that you have, with a lower and upper limit, and your points in PvP. Number of covers that your character has might be taken into account as well.
    Mmr is not effected by boosted characters,  not even a little.  Boosted characters were added explicitly to increase team variety.  

This works at all levels but the 5 star tier
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Based on my understanding, since MMR takes into account your character boosted levels and it's based on the few highest level characters, then wouldn't it also affect your MMR as well? 

I remember one poster starting a thread about his MMR going crazy after championing his first 4* and that 4* happens to be boosted.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint said:
    Mmr is not effected by boosted characters,  not even a little.  Boosted characters were added explicitly to increase team variety.  

This works at all levels but the 5 star tier
    This is my understanding as well. Unfortunately what this ends up meaning, I would imagine, is that you are at rather a disadvantage if you don't have any of the boosted characters for the week (or don't have them champed)
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor

Share your experience regardless of whether you are using point-based or win-based system to get the progression rewards.

Some questions to jumpstart your sharing mode:

Did you change your climbing strategies?
    Are you starting PvP earlier than usual?
    Did you decide to stop using shield?
    How are you going to achieve 40 or 75 wins?
    What are the highest reward level you going to achieve?
    For regular events, I do whichever slice I am able to join at the beginning so I can start with up to 10 easy seed teams. After that I usually do a few fights at a time to get from reward to reward until reaching 40. 10 more wins for some red iso is not usually enticing, but I did it during the Wasp event with 4x Riso.

For Shield Simulator I reached most of the rewards via points, but once I reached 1700 in about 42 wins, I started losing as much ground as I gained. Eventually my wins caught up to my rewards and I continued from there. By the time I reached 75 wins I was still at around 1700 points.

I no longer shield at all and my placement is way down. This is partly due to jumping to 5* territory and being one of the smallest fish in the pond. I may no longer get a couple 3*s from placement, but at least I always get the 4* from progression and enjoy the playing more.

On another thread, someone suggested the Riso should be at 45 wins and the CP at 55. Were that the case, I would probably push myself to reach them.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    20 wins for 1200 points in the wasp event
    16 for 900 in she hulk

75 is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for final progression.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    jredd said:
    20 wins for 1200 points in the wasp event
    16 for 900 in she hulk

75 is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for final progression.
    If you can get 1200, 75 wins is not for you.
    It's to give smaller rosters a fighting chance, like before they killed Cupcakes.
    Compare it to tapping. If you invest enough time, you can get a greater reward than your roster is supposed to achieve.