Heavy Metal (Season 1) May 14-16

Comments

• Added 20 more levels to IM40 despite him being pretty useless. May come in to clear some B nodes in the heroic I guess so might as well add the levels now.
  • wathombe wrote:
    Also, if Demiurge DOESN'T make Lazy Daken the award for this tournament, we will know that they are entirely tone deaf.

My guess is Fat Daken rewards setting up his PVP to finish up season 1.
  • wathombe wrote:
    Also, if Demiurge DOESN'T make Lazy Daken the award for this tournament, we will know that they are entirely tone deaf.

Makes sense, people would have to drop HP on buying Lazy Daken covers to make the final push in Season 1.
  • The misunderstanding of how AI chooses its abilities is generally from not realizing that the AI has to make a choice every turn, unlike a human who makes a decision once. That is, if you have to make a decision bewteen using ATU or save up for Ballistic Salvo, you usually make a decision once, and then you go with whatever you decided unless something drastically different happened. The AI makes that check every turn.

Let's say the chance of using ATU is 5% (2 blue AP) versus saving up for Ballistic Salvo (20 AP). Each turn, the computer is expected to get 3/7 of a blue tile (we're completely ignoring cascades and match 4/5s because that's impossible to calculate), so it takes 18 / (3/7) = 42 turns to get enough blue for Ballistic Salvo. The chance that the AI will save up AP for 42 consecutive turns is (0.95)^42 = 11.6%, so even if its chance to use ATU is as low as 5%, the chance of the AI ever having enough for Ballistic Salvo is still very unlikely. In reality it's probably much higher 5% since you can definitely see the AI use ATU periodically while IM40 is available. If they've even a 10% chance to use ATU, then the chance of it saving 20 blue AP is now down to 1.2%. In practical terms, it's almost impossible for the AI to save up enough because they're asking the equivalent of 'Are we there yet?' every single turn.

A good example of this can be found in the Heroic Oscorp, where you got a Spy with Silent Strike (5 purple), Moonstone (8 purple), and Yelena (19 purple). Despite getting 2 purple every round, I don't remember Yelena ever getting a Lethal Recon off (which is far more deadly in the context of this event since you likely have Storm who can render Gravity Warp useless with a Hailstorm). The AI only needs to spend 6 turns without using Gravity Warp to use Lethal Recon (start with 8, get 2 purple each turn from Spy), but they usually give in to temptation and use Gravity Warp along the way, which is probably a good thing since the Spy alone allows a Lethal Recon every 10 turns, which is generally more than enough to shut down any possible strategy you have even if they never made a purple match.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron: Are you sure it's a random chance? From what I have seen, my thought is that with a node like the one in your example, the AI would have a predictable decision every time while it was just the auto-feeding AP increases. But when the AI matches the color (or gets it as extra from a match-4 or something) it "breaks the cycle" and the AP might be spent in a different manner.

Back when the scaling was first introduced, there were missions with level 230 Maggia that they were continually spawning the same type of Countdown unless I stunned an enemy for a round to get the algorithm to make a new choice.
  • Phantron is describing it basically how the devs described it.
  • wathombe wrote:

Fat Daken seems singularly unjust, given the actual contours of his torso. I prefer calling him Dak3n.
  • Vairelome wrote:
    wathombe wrote:

Fat Daken seems singularly unjust, given the actual contours of his torso. I prefer calling him Dak3n.

Oh tell it to pandaberry icon_e_wink.gif
  • Hannybal wrote:
    hhmm, ya i was expecting to have other rules or stuffs. Like someone mentioned above, iron man40 pvp is double shot. So this heavy metal sounds new to us. PErhaps its something like master of magnetism whereby u played 1 stage to get a (guaranteed 1* ironman ? and both iron mans are buffed ?), then proceed ?

Double shot was done ages ago when there were only one event going on each week. And it took the place of the week long event and did two shorter ones. (Anyone correct me if I am wrong there).

So it wouldn't make sense to be called double shot now as it would lead people (veteran's at least) to think there will be another identical PvP after. Therefore with only the one IM40 event it could do with a new name.

And let's not disagree, "heavy metal" is a cooler title than "double shot"
  • Rag rewards again icon_lol.gif
  • sup123 wrote:
    Rag rewards again icon_lol.gif

I'm not optimistic about what that means for the final tourney of the season. Krakadoom re-run or Evil Is Good, perhaps.

On the plus side, I just need two red Rags covers to max mine out.
  • Rags?! What is wrong with you people?!

"Let's put a bunch if players 8000 points in the hole for getting out most exciting new cover in a while, THEN, instead of offering that cover in the immediately following tourney like we often do, let's give them the most worthless 3* cover in the game! It'll be hilarious!"

Tinykittying clueless.
  • Teke184 wrote:
    sup123 wrote:
    Rag rewards again icon_lol.gif

I'm not optimistic about what that means for the final tourney of the season. Krakadoom re-run or Evil Is Good, perhaps.

On the plus side, I just need two red Rags covers to max mine out.

The alliance reward is green, so you can only get one red.
    And they really stopped giving a tinykitty about rewards since everyone is spending a bazillion HP on shield hopping anyway for the end of the season.
  • TheHueyFreeman
    TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
    A rags rerun tourney is a terrible idea. If they were smart, they would either do a lazy daken tourney or (even better) an everything goes tourney to finish this off.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    wathombe wrote:
    Rags?! What is wrong with you people?!

"Let's put a bunch if players 8000 points in the hole for getting out most exciting new cover in a while, THEN, instead of offering that cover in the immediately following tourney like we often do, let's give them the most worthless 3* cover in the game! It'll be hilarious!"

Tinykittying clueless.
    Well the most useless 3* is Daredevil, so I think I know what we're getting for the final tourney.
    Or if this is the last, for the first tourney of season 2.
  • A rags rerun tourney is a terrible idea. If they were smart, they would either do a lazy daken tourney or (even better) an everything goes tourney to finish this off.

Yes, a Rags rerun would be a terrible idea.

Only things worse than that? A third run of Loki, Evil Is Good, or Lone Star.

And considering how things have been run lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they were intentionally farking with us at this point.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    It is hard not to get angry seeing Rag rewards for this.
  • Hooray! Rags rewards! I have him fully covered! (genuine hooray actually. I'm completely sick of PVP at this point.)
  • wathombe wrote:
    "Don't you think we might be missing out on sales if we make those new coveted covers available so soon?" "Yeah, good point, let's pick some other cover as reward. Which one has gotten the least sales the past few months?"
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    I could see Lazy Daken being the reward for the last Season 1 PVP. Double incentive the last day, fighting for both Lazy Daken and Fury.