Reality Stone Season Updates (5/1/18)

Comments

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,216 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Now I understand why there's no ability to remove a support once attached or sell at will.  They didn't want us to be able remove/sell them out of protest when this came.  They can at least point to metrics and claim people are using them because they attached them to try them out and now cannot remove them...

Can you apply the support to a (1) cover 3 star then delete that cover? I'm going to test it out
    If you're asking if deleting the 1 covered 3* w/support will get rid of the support, the answer is no.  I think Brigby or some other moderator said that the support just goes back into your support page/queue.  
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor

It's a hell of a piece of work to roll out a brand new feature that should fundamentally change how the game is played and the prevailing emotion people feel is anger at worst and apathy at best.
    I agree. But, on the principle of "any publicity is good publicity," the opposite of what you said might be true. That is: anger at best and apathy at worst.

For me, anyway, this is definitely true. My only real interest in Supports has been in the absurd failure and predictable controversy. I have not used a Support or leveled one or yearned for one. I couldn't really tell you their names, let alone their effects. They are a frivolous gimmick dreamed up on a corporate whiteboard as a loot box to drive revenue.

When process > play your game is failing.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Yepyep said:

It's a hell of a piece of work to roll out a brand new feature that should fundamentally change how the game is played and the prevailing emotion people feel is anger at worst and apathy at best.
    I agree. But, on the principle of "any publicity is good publicity," the opposite of what you said might be true. That is: anger at best and apathy at worst.

For me, anyway, this is definitely true. My only real interest in Supports has been in the absurd failure and predictable controversy. I have not used a Support or leveled one or yearned for one. I couldn't really tell you their names, let alone their effects. They are a frivolous gimmick dreamed up on a corporate whiteboard as a loot box to drive revenue.

When process > play your game is failing.
    I was hoping to draw a Rank 2 Quinjet, because at that rank it does extra damage to the Dark Avengers. 

I've drawn said support. I haven't leveled it up or even equipped it, though it may be the one I actually commit RISO to. 

But again, I could spend all my RISO and get it to Level 41/100. Then I have nothing for anything else. 
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    If they're smart, half the devs will be gone after this one. 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Now I understand why there's no ability to remove a support once attached or sell at will.  They didn't want us to be able remove/sell them out of protest when this came.  They can at least point to metrics and claim people are using them because they attached them to try them out and now cannot remove them...
    I member when team-ups first came in, and Yelena was "most popular".
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I've never seriously thought MPQ was in danger of shutting down until now.  It seems clear to me that the devs are trying...more feedback, continued support and new features, for better or worse.  What scares me isn't that they are going to abandon the game. It's that we are going to abandon it.  For the record, I'm not saying any time soon, just that it is no longer something I laugh off.
    There is no reason to even acknowledge that the stones exist.  Frankly this is no different than supports in general for most people.  But in the time it has taken for supports to be developed, not only could a ton of positive changes been made to MPQ, but other games have come out that are stealing players away.
    I get that the devs may have their hands tied on certain decisions, and I suspect they really think they are making positive changes and that forums are not representative of the player base at large.  The feature is still new.  We have a skewed perspective.  We just don't know what is coming.  None of this changes the fact that this is a universally demoralizing implementation among those who have spoken.
    On the other hand, I bet that a casual player that plays an hour a week and has a 3* roster thinks supports are cool and had no illusions of getting an infinity stone anyway.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    When I first read about Supports I thought they'd be a neat new feature.  Then I saw I few I'd get and how impossible it is to get RIso, and now I see only an uber-rare top PvP players get access to the latest Supports.  Bah.  What a load of tinykitty these Supports have become.

Makes me regret recently renewing my VIP.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker

On the other hand, I bet that a casual player that plays an hour a week and has a 3* roster thinks supports are cool and had no illusions of getting an infinity stone anyway.
    Problem is we can all see those stones as available in-game when you look at the supports that you don't yet have. So a large portion of the playerbase went it and looked at those stats and thought "wow, looks pretty good - how can I get one???".......The realization for all but 14 of us is that we can't.  Even those that do score high and are in contention for T1 season will struggle - it's 2 of each season per year, right?  So 28 of each every year.  Why even advertise something as a game mechanic when a year from now only 28 people will even have it?

And on that note - why even list the Rank 5 powers at all?  They literally aren't even in the game.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I suppose some of you expected Infinity Stone to be given to top 50, 100 or 250 placement, or even as a progression reward. It makes thematic sense that only the top one player of each "world" or "bracket" gets the stone, since it is powerful. I don't get why some of you behave as if it's the end of the world because Infinity Stones are given to only top 1. There are 24 supports and Infinity Stones take up 6/24 or 25% of the spot now.  There are still many useful supports. I understand that it's useless to veteran players now. Supports are still at testing stage(?) right now and it was mentioned that changes could be made to support as they review players' feedbacks.

Someone mentioned that less than 20 will receive the Infinity Stone at the end of each season. I guess it's easier to track 20 players and keep the impact small to see if Infinity Stones break the game. 

Looking at what has transpired so far, they are really working on supports carefully and slowly. Probably, they are still reviewing how the newer players (transitioning 3*) are experimenting with supports. Only 20 days have passed by since Support was made useable. Once they are done with them, they would then move up to 3*, 3* transitioning to 4*, 4* and then 5*. 

Let's not forget that the number of active posters in this forum (100-200) is a very small fraction of the total number of players in-game (estimated ~50,000). The number of players or active posters in this forum is 200/50000 = 0.4% of the total estimated playerbase. While many of you find the support useless now and are pissed off with supports, there could still be 10 or 20,000 players who are making use of support in-game. 200 active posters/players in this forum frowning upon supports does not mean that the rest of the 40,000 players feel the same way.  At least, top 25 gets an Advanced Support Token per PvP if I interpreted it correctly.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards

And on that note - why even list the Rank 5 powers at all?  They literally aren't even in the game.
    I assume for the same reason CL10 is still "Coming soon"
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Let's not forget that the number of active posters in this forum (100-200) is a very small fraction of the total number of players in-game (estimated ~50,000).

Thanks for proving you have no idea what you're talking about. There are FAR MORE than 50k people playing this game regularly, and far more regular users on the forums as well. 

And yes, it would make sense to half a rank 5 (or 4/3 for lower ranks) infinity stone only given to the top player in a bracket, but no it doesn't make sense to not give them out at all past that. This is a game that is all about completion. You can't be a completionist in a game where they make it impossible to collect everything. 

It also makes no sense to tie items to pvp rewards that are exclusively for pve at the current time.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards

How much for those Infinity Gems?

• crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker

Problem is we can all see those stones as available in-game when you look at the supports that you don't yet have. So a large portion of the playerbase went it and looked at those stats and thought "wow, looks pretty good - how can I get one???".......The realization for all but 14 of us is that we can't.  Even those that do score high and are in contention for T1 season will struggle - it's 2 of each season per year, right?  So 28 of each every year.  Why even advertise something as a game mechanic when a year from now only 28 people will even have it?

Again, I think that the reality is that the casual players make up a much higher contingent than we give them credit for, and there is no repercussion for them.  Top 1, Top 50, Top 100, they are all the same: a mark that is completely unreachable for them.  Why this matters is they can look and think "wow, that's cool", but not feel slighted in any way.  We think "I play this game a ton, gimme them stones".
    I know I'll get some flack for saying this, but would it actually be good for us to get ahold of the holy grail of supports right from the start?  They are forever, and you can make due with just 3. After you get them at high levels, aren't you basically done with this feature?  Then what?
    Problem is it feels like they are trolling us at every turn, which is why I fear we really will begin to lose the more than casual crowd.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018

Again, I think that the reality is that the casual players make up a much higher contingent than we give them credit for, and there is no repercussion for them.  Top 1, Top 50, Top 100, they are all the same: a mark that is completely unreachable for them.  Why this matters is they can look and think "wow, that's cool", but not feel slighted in any way.  We think "I play this game a ton, gimme them stones".
    I know I'll get some flack for saying this, but would it actually be good for us to get ahold of the holy grail of supports right from the start?  They are forever, and you can make due with just 3. After you get them at high levels, aren't you basically done with this feature?  Then what?
    Problem is it feels like they are trolling us at every turn, which is why I fear we really will begin to lose the more than casual crowd.
    I do kinda agree with you that once we get these items, it will be complete for us.  So then what’s next but you spelled out our thought process.  It feels like no matter what they release this and just sit back and laugh at our disgust at this. I just do not understand why they make some of these decisions and it doesn’t make a ton of sense from a business prospective. I do agree 100% that I think this might be a last hurrah for some in this game.  I guess we will see shortly.  
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Last I checked the bracket chart, mpq had 50.000 players a season. How many join a CL9 season? Maybe 15.000? So after one month of grinding, 15 players get an infinity stone? 0,03 % player (customer) satisfaction, that‘s something marketing might understand. ;)
  • SuperRecoome
    SuperRecoome Posts: 59 Match Maker
    As a Steam player, I would gladly give up supports for my UI back, the new Steam UI is TERRIBLE, I've barely logged on since it's been changed, supports don't really seem to be all that useful from what I've seen so far. Not worth the huge UI downgrade steam players have had to endure.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey @Brigby, one quick aside, can you let us know if there will be any character rebalances attached to this season (and coming in a separate announcement momentarily) or if those aren't happening until at least next season? I have covers for a few rebalance candidates on the vine and I've been holding off champing or selling any of them until I knew one way or the other. Thanks!