Heart Of Darkness: Test run 1 anti tapping feedback

The rockett
The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
With the test run of the anti tapping measure, link here for the thread https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/71171/story-event-minimum-points-trial-run-3-9-18/p1 , wanted to have a clean thread for feedback since that thread has gone sideways. 

Pleaae keep this to what you are seeing at sub end, sub start, suggestings, ideas, etc.  

Comments

• The rockett
    Wow. That was intense which to me is so much more fun. 
    Ended Sub 1 with 23435 points in 1st place. 2 points over 2nd place.  

Did this sub clean in 33 mins with 1 min to spare. 
  • Tiggida
    Tiggida Posts: 64 Match Maker
    This is exactly what I said in this thread 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/70098/pve-fix-suggestion-change-how-placement-is-earned#latest 

I'd be interested to hear if anyone sees any ties on this run.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tiggida said:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/70098/pve-fix-suggestion-change-how-placement-is-earned#latest 

Ties don't even matter, since first player to that score is first in ranking. 
  • The rockett
    Tiggida said:

I have had a tie in the last event with tapping.  I got 10th and a friend got 11th. Ties will happen no matter what. 
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Already posted in the stickied thread. The final grind this morning was intense. I was watching the guy in 2nd and waiting to see when he would start clearing and he was probably doing the same.

Finished 1st in sub with 1 minute left and it was nerve wracking, and that’s a good thing.

For quite a while tapping has eliminated any intrigue after the first sub. The person who started tapping first would have an insurmountable lead, sometimes thousands of points. The rest of the event was really focused around staying in the T5 unless five people tapped the first sub. Then it was staying T10.

Each sub is now more meaningful, and playing chicken at the end has a huge risk attached to it. Go too early and be safe but out of a top ranking? Or wait it out and risk not finishing your clear. 

My my bracket is going to come down to the wire and I’m having a good time with it
  • IceHockey333
    IceHockey333 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    This removes an hour or two of play time for me during the work day.  Other than that, it's fine.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    While I think this change is great from a theoretical point of view.  I also think that it will effect a very few number of people.

The only people who notice this change will be the upper crust of rosters.  Those people who can do a final clear in 31 minutes etc.

Essentially all that is happening is that they are changing what you need to win from Extreme Time to Extreme Roster (And favourable timing).  Which, as I said, I agree with.  Unfortunately most of us don't have either of those things... hahaha

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    LXSandman said:
    While I think this change is great from a theoretical point of view.  I also think that it will effect a very few number of people.

The only people who notice this change will be the upper crust of rosters.  Those people who can do a final clear in 31 minutes etc.

Essentially all that is happening is that they are changing what you need to win from Extreme Time to Extreme Roster (And favourable timing).  Which, as I said, I agree with.  Unfortunately most of us don't have either of those things... hahaha

I've noticed a difference.  Caught my usual fresh slacker bracket (came in like 64ish).  I have all boosted 4s champed.  Did my grinds as fast as I could and am currently only 20 with many people behind me also having done full clears.

Normally, I catch a slacker bracket and I'll finish my grind T5, and the next day MAYBE 10 people will have done full clears.  I'm wondering if the tappers have moved down to 8 where I compete (no champed 5s so I feel its an appropriate SCL for me) due to the easier clears/top rewards where they can smash rosters like mine.  I'm going to wait the event out and see how things shake out before drawing any conclusions, but it is odd especially given what the prize is. 
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    LXSandman said:

I've noticed a difference.  Caught my usual fresh slacker bracket (came in like 64ish).  I have all boosted 4s champed.  Did my grinds as fast as I could and am currently only 20 with many people behind me also having done full clears.

Normally, I catch a slacker bracket and I'll finish my grind T5, and the next day MAYBE 10 people will have done full clears.  I'm wondering if the tappers have moved down to 8 where I compete (no champed 5s so I feel its an appropriate SCL for me) due to the easier clears/top rewards where they can smash rosters like mine.  I'm going to wait the event out and see how things shake out before drawing any conclusions, but it is odd especially given what the prize is. 
    Bracket rooms have noted .8s filling faster, so people may have moved down with their crutch gone.
  • Blergh
    Blergh Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Daiches said:
    LXSandman said:

Bracket rooms have noted .8s filling faster, so people may have moved down with their crutch gone.
    Not sure how much of that has to do with tapping changes, and how much it has to do with the hard nodes in the final sub. Saw a few Line chats where people were discussing going to a lower SCL as they didn't want to face the waves, and the royal family at high levels. Had trouble clearing them last time and stuff. So there are other factors at play, other than tapping that has resulted in the lower level choice. 
  • Talestummy
    Talestummy Posts: 66 Match Maker
    Waves are easy, it’s the royal family 5e node in the last sub that scares people
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Love, love, LOVE the new format! Please keep!

There's even a little something for tappers in that once you finish your final clears, you can still tappity-tap a few nodes for a few extra points!

Everyone wins!
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm placing worst with no tappers this event. Not a big deal, but if tie breakers will become the norm, I feel they should improve placement rewards so ties won't make people feel cheated.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    smkspy said:
    I'm placing worst with no tappers this event. Not a big deal, but if tie breakers will become the norm, I feel they should improve placement rewards so ties won't make people feel cheated.
    Are you seeing a large number of tie scores on your leaderboard? While the scores are generally bunched up, I don’t have any ties in my T10 and I would expect scores to spread more as the event progresses. 
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Love, love, LOVE the new format! Please keep!

There's even a little something for tappers in that once you finish your final clears, you can still tappity-tap a few nodes for a few extra points!

Everyone wins!
    Excellent point. Players who were ahead of schedule can still redeem that time, still use ground out nodes to fill time and pace their play.

The only thing cut out is the advantage that "egregious" tapping of min points had been.

Seriously, feel free to forget this was a test and just go permanent.

Yes, those final little taps were the difference in my bracket. I don't anticipate very many ties at all in any CL once the event is over. There's a pretty good spread already in my bracket. It will only grow.
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    as someone who usually ends up in the leaderboard right under tappers (could never bring myself to do it), this is great for me. i can't remember the last time i finished the first sub in 1st place, which i now have. i've been playing mostly scl8, since when i went to 9 there was no way i'd have a shot at t5 because that went to tappers. that means i ended up with rewards equivalent to t5 scl8, for more work, and pushed me down to 8 (alliance rewards being uncertain at best). if this sticks, i'll be going back to 9, probably.

p.s.
    i stayed in 8 this time purely because of the royal family node in the final sub. just not fun.