Heart Of Darkness: Test run 1 anti tapping feedback

Comments

• T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Currently in 4th place ahead of 6th place by over 700pts.  Love having the security that as long as I don’t mess up I am guaranteed top 5.

Really like this change and I hope it stays.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    ZeroKarma said:
    smkspy said:
    I'm placing worst with no tappers this event. Not a big deal, but if tie breakers will become the norm, I feel they should improve placement rewards so ties won't make people feel cheated.
    Are you seeing a large number of tie scores on your leaderboard? While the scores are generally bunched up, I don’t have any ties in my T10 and I would expect scores to spread more as the event progresses. 
    Haven't really checked, but just going on the idea that if there are many. Plus any reason to adjust the disconnect for placing 21-50 and 51-100. Makes no sense that a person placing 21st gets the rewards as someone placing 50th.
  • cschwinge
    cschwinge Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Now if they could only come up with PvE that didn't require playing feverishly at a specific exact time, twice a day.

The score you get on each node could have a variable bonus for fast clear, rather than recharging over time.

Added bonus play time could come from retreating on a node that you were slow on, and re-doing it
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Finished sub 1 in first place! Beat the last node with a second to spare. Giving me a 9 point lead over 2nd. And several hundred over the rest of t10 because a lot of players finished outside of time.
    It looks like erring on the cautious side to mitigate the effect of bad boards and animations spam will be critical.

edit: and 10 minutes later I appear to be sixth due to the higher ranked players of sub 1 clearing sub 2 very slow. :/
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    Daiches said:
    Finished sub 1 in first place! Beat the last node with a second to spare. Giving me a 9 point lead over 2nd. And several hundred over the rest of t10 because a lot of players finished outside of time.
    It looks like erring on the cautious side to mitigate the effect of bad boards and animations spam will be critical.
    I must've joined the bracket before yours.. I pre-joined at 990. What would 44166 after the 2nd sub's 4 clears get in there? :lol: I agree making sure we grind everything is more important now. I moved from 17th to 7th.
    And I finished the first sub in 3rd in that bracket, which hasn't happened since tapping became a thing, so at least 6 months.

Keep this!
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    From what i see here, its almost always about top 10 or higher. For those people i can see the benefit of not going against tappers (for which the obvious solution would be to tap yourself), for most other people i dont think it matters that much.
    Basically those that usually end up high, will still end up high, just now with less effort.
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Dogface said:
    From what i see here, its almost always about top 10 or higher. For those people i can see the benefit of not going against tappers (for which the obvious solution would be to tap yourself), for most other people i dont think it matters that much.
    Basically those that usually end up high, will still end up high, just now with less effort.
    You’re assuming that someone who can finish their clears quickly is also willing to tap for a couple hours for placement.

I can’t speak for others but in my case you’d be wrong.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    T-REZ5000 said:
    Dogface said:
    You’re assuming that someone who can finish their clears quickly is also willing to tap for a couple hours for placement.

I don't think that is what im saying. I don't believe anyone loves to tap. I would say everyone hates to tap, but some people do to place higher. But if you're not gunning for the top prizes, there's absolutely no need to tap.
     That's why i said that tapping seems to affect the top 10 and higher, and not so much others. 
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Dogface said:
    T-REZ5000 said:
    Dogface said:

I don't think that is what im saying. I don't believe anyone loves to tap. I would say everyone hates to tap, but some people do to place higher. But if you're not gunning for the top prizes, there's absolutely no need to tap.
     That's why i said that tapping seems to affect the top 10 and higher, and not so much others. 
    Bots love to tap
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    cschwinge said:
    Now if they could only come up with PvE that didn't require playing feverishly at a specific exact time, twice a day.
    Twice a day? Which game are you playing?
    Lol...  ;)
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy said:
    I'm placing worst with no tappers this event. Not a big deal, but if tie breakers will become the norm, I feel they should improve placement rewards so ties won't make people feel cheated.
    The ties are probably those that hitting 4 clears and stopping. When you hit the 5th-7th clears is where the tie breakers comes in. 

I used to place top 10 fairly frequently and found myself dropping to 26th or lower with tappers. I don't time my grind very well (starting way too early, but I rather more time left, when I do my ddq, then not enough time). This event, I found myself back in the lower end of top 10 again. 
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    No ties in my bracket but super close and competive, a wonderful sight.
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    LOVE the competition in this version of PVE. No ties in my cl9 bracket. Unlikely, any room will have many.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    Loving this. It actually feels enjoyable to play pve again, with the sense of urgency / playing chicken against the clock. As others have said, previously I'd resign myself to lower T10 because tinykitty tapping for electronic goods. Now I'm (at best guess, hard to really tell at this point) 3rd or 4th. 

I mistimed by a few minutes and left about 100 points on the board in sub 1, but it seems everyone else was suffering from roughly the same fate with trying to best gauge the new play style needed. Mildly irritating, but an easy lesson to learn from and not replicate in the future.

Anyway, this is much better than pve has been in a looong time. Even if I drop back to low T10, I'll be there with fun through genuine competition, rather than just resigning myself to losing vs tappers.

For the love of hell, keep this.
  • Gabisia
    Gabisia Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Wow. That was intense which to me is so much more fun. 
    Ended Sub 1 with 23435 points in 1st place. 2 points over 2nd place.  

Did this sub clean in 33 mins with 1 min to spare. 
    Great grind rocket... Still im to slow to beat u
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gabisia said:
    Wow. That was intense which to me is so much more fun. 
    Ended Sub 1 with 23435 points in 1st place. 2 points over 2nd place.  

Did this sub clean in 33 mins with 1 min to spare. 
    Great grind rocket... Still im to slow to beat u
    And I’m way behind you. 
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2018
    Dogface said:

Tapping was always a problem concerning the top of the leaderboard. And that's why it had to be fixed.

If the people exploiting a flaw in the design are ranked 300, noone cares about it. If they're ranked at the very top, it undermindes the very core of the event.

• Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    I'm in Zerokarma's bracket.  Was in a comfortable spot inside t5 until I got greedy.  I kept pushing the timer and stalling the grind and ended up missing the final clear on a wave on sub 2.  Because of 1 node and 30 seconds I will be kicked out of t10 with no way to make it up.

Hurts me right in the soul, but good.

I shouldn't be able to noob it all up and still take top placement because of a forgiving system.  I don't think pve should be competitive, but if it has to be a competition, make it a real one.  Stop rewarding **** play.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2018
    Confession. After the first grind of the final sub I’m tied for 1st in Cl9. The bright side is that tomorrow’s grind will have urgency and meaning and it will be a ton of fun.