Heart Of Darkness: Test run 1 anti tapping feedback

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will give this feedback from sub #1.  First I typically only do 7 clears anyway in CL9 so I was not a tapper before and I don’t always do my final clear for a sub within the last 45-60min.  I decided to try this sub and close efficiently.  my final clear started with an hour left and ended 10 min before the sub ended.  Becuase points started to refresh I did do an extra clear of the 5* node, 4* node and 3* node and took a top 5 placement.  I think scores are going to be a lot tighter with this test.  I was never bothered by rappers who were going for top placement because I was always content with top 50 or sometimes top 20.  I will post how I do in sub 2 and keep it factual and give my thumbs up or down at the end of the event.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gabisia said:
    Wow. That was intense which to me is so much more fun. 
    Ended Sub 1 with 23435 points in 1st place. 2 points over 2nd place.  

Did this sub clean in 33 mins with 1 min to spare. 
    Great grind rocket... Still im to slow to beat u
    I SEE YOU!!!!!
    Did 40 mins for this grind and made it by seconds.  These waves are killer.  
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    wymtime said:
    I was never bothered by rappers who were going for top placement because I was always content with top 50 or sometimes top 20.
    Sorry.. couldn’t resist.. rappers (musicians?) or tappers? A bit of S3 inside joke :lol:

Especially funny in our bracket, where two of the most egregious tappers gambled and lost in sub 1.

My heart goes out to them (not).
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Dogface said:
    From what i see here, its almost always about top 10 or higher. For those people i can see the benefit of not going against tappers (for which the obvious solution would be to tap yourself), for most other people i dont think it matters that much.
    Basically those that usually end up high, will still end up high, just now with less effort.
    No, before tapping became prevalent, I was a top 20 player edging top 10. Then between tapping and having less free time, I became a T50 player, playing in a lower SCL. Often came in around 35 or so. It was "good enough" for me, because I wasn't going to pour a bunch of time into the game when there was no way I could remotely compete with the tappers. If I were able to play, my estimation is that I would now be competing for T20 again, and because I would be close enough to it, I would likely pour a little more effort into getting there. Because it would be achievable by working a little harder, not with less effort.

While T10 is where the effect is most *visible*, it does distribute downwards through the rest of T100. I wouldn't estimate that it affects those lower than T100 because I'm guessing that without tapping, the tappers would naturally fall in at least the T50.
  • Pezman
    Pezman Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    So far enjoying the new format.  I don’t try and play down to the minute. I just do as optimal as I can. Was #1 in cl9 with 15 minutes...fell to 12 overall. This could be the first time I finish top 20 in any pve event. 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    My own experience is that it hasnt changed much. I usually place top 50 in SCL7 if i have all essentials. I tend to do all clears and sometimes a 7th, but only if it's needed to place top 50 in a sub-event. That's where the hp is, which warrants the extra effort. If top 50 isnt attainable, i couldnt care less about placement. The difference in placing higher than top 50 in a sub-event isnt much in SCL7 and not worth the effort imo.
    The placement awards for the total event are even more unimportant: 2 3* for top 50 and a bit more hp. I won't lay awake if i miss out on those. The real difference is in the 4* for top 10 and higher. And i'm never placing top 10, maybe once in Strange Sights, so for me i'm neutral about the change. But most people here seem to be positive, so i'm fine with making the change permanent.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 822 Critical Contributor
    4 clears in Dark Design SCL8 gets you 20,228 points. The top player in my bracket currently has 27,000 points. He may still be trying to tap his way to victory, or he may just be trying to make up for a slow first sub. For the entire event he's only 4,000 points ahead of 2 & 3, and I know they're not tappers (I'm not 2 or 3).
  • razor14
    razor14 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2018
    This pve format is the one that made me love this game, so much tension on final grinding.
    That's the kind of emotion pve based players like.
    Forgot to say about my bracket, S4.9, no ties at top 10 and difference from 1st to 20th is 63 points.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    JSP869 said:
    4 clears in Dark Design SCL8 gets you 20,228 points. The top player in my bracket currently has 27,000 points. He may still be trying to tap his way to victory, or he may just be trying to make up for a slow first sub. For the entire event he's only 4,000 points ahead of 2 & 3, and I know they're not tappers (I'm not 2 or 3).
    Sounds like he is overclearing. Maybe he just wants to do 6 clears right away and that’s it. Many people only play for progression as quickly as possible and stop
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    No longer are subs decided long before the end grind and really have to time our grinds again.

Please implement permanently as soon as possible!
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 822 Critical Contributor
    I expect you're right. That he's 7,000 ahead in subevent 2 but only 4,000 ahead overall means he clearly didn't tap in subevent 1, so he's most likely just overclearing now.

I noticed a lot of people in my bracket started their clears very early, as in hours early. It was weird.
  • Gabisia
    Gabisia Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Gabisia said:

I SEE YOU!!!!!
    Did 40 mins for this grind and made it by seconds.  These waves are killer.  
    At least we have nice competition... And That is better than tapping. I made it in 38 and last sec... And i Was able to win sub 2:-)
  • Gabisia
    Gabisia Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Pongie said:
    Gabisia said:

And I’m way behind you. 
    Still close :-) and rememeber...  last sub can change everyrhing :-) esspecially in HoD
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    So after finishing clears on sub #2 I am in 3rd overall and finished the sub top 10.  After opening I was in 17th in sub 3.  The difference between my score and top 20 is 1300 points.  From 1-3 is 107 points.  Unless I close really early I will be top 5 maybe top 10.  Number 6 is only 13 points behind me.  11 is almost 500 points behind me.  I will check in again at the end of sub 3
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moved up to 5th from 7th. Having great fun racing others!
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    loving it. being fast and playing chicken means something, and i've been in first the entire time - and i know it will stay that way as long as i don't screw up.
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    My feedback is: I approve this
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Daiches said:
    LXSandman said:
    While I think this change is great from a theoretical point of view.  I also think that it will effect a very few number of people.

The only people who notice this change will be the upper crust of rosters.  Those people who can do a final clear in 31 minutes etc.

Essentially all that is happening is that they are changing what you need to win from Extreme Time to Extreme Roster (And favourable timing).  Which, as I said, I agree with.  Unfortunately most of us don't have either of those things... hahaha

I've noticed a difference.  Caught my usual fresh slacker bracket (came in like 64ish).  I have all boosted 4s champed.  Did my grinds as fast as I could and am currently only 20 with many people behind me also having done full clears.

Normally, I catch a slacker bracket and I'll finish my grind T5, and the next day MAYBE 10 people will have done full clears.  I'm wondering if the tappers have moved down to 8 where I compete (no champed 5s so I feel its an appropriate SCL for me) due to the easier clears/top rewards where they can smash rosters like mine.  I'm going to wait the event out and see how things shake out before drawing any conclusions, but it is odd especially given what the prize is. 
    Bracket rooms have noted .8s filling faster, so people may have moved down with their crutch gone.
    I assume the not so popular 5ess Angel may have had something to do with that as well. Plenty havent got him champed, cause not covered, or simply dont care too much for him..
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've generally been hovering somewhere around T50-T20 during tapping events. I'm currently #11, and probably higher in "real" terms, since there are some people who are obviously doing early clears. I'd probably have a shot at T5, and maybe even better, if I hadn't cut it too close on my final grind in Sub 1.

Honestly, this feels about like how I expect I would have been doing for a while now, based on how I was improving until Tapping became widespread. Definitely enjoying this significantly more.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had a job interview right at the time of the morning grind, so I'm likely out of t50, but I'll give it a try in the final grind to see what I can pull off tomorrow A.M. Maybe other will trip over the Inhumans node and I'll magically make it work.