MPQ March Madness complete -- Congrats to the champ: Captain Marvel!

Comments

• Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    Aweberman said:
    Sweet 16
    Cosmic Region
    (1) Captain Marvel vs. (4) Cloak & Dagger, 106-6
    (2) Medusa vs. (6) Gamora, 65-45

Mutants Region
    (1) Iceman vs. (4) Cyclops, 83-24
    (2) Rogue vs. (3) Jean Grey, 80-26

SHIELD/Avengers Region
    (1) Peggy Carter vs. (4) Agent Coulson, 87-14
    (2) Riri Williams vs. (3) Mockingbird, 83-19

Villains/Supernatural Region
    (1) Vulture vs. (4) Blade, 89-12
    (2) America Chavez vs. (3) Red Hulk, 77-24

Elite 8
    Cosmic Region
    (1) Captain Marvel vs. (2) Medusa

Mutants Region
    (1) Iceman vs. (2) Rogue

SHIELD/Avengers Region
    (1) Peggy Carter vs. (2) Riri Williams

(1) Vulture vs. (2) America Chavez
    The results of the second set of Sweet 16 matches have been collected.
    The Elite 8 has been posted.
    The Final 4 will be posted on Wednesday.
    The championship match will be posted on Friday.
  • Aweberman
    It's interesting to note that despite the dearth of female characters in the 5* tier, they are well-represented here, with 6 of the Elite 8 being female.

Another interesting note is how generally recent this crop of 8 characters is, due to power creep.  Here are the chronological release dates and sequential release order of each of the Elite 8:

18 Iceman (17 Sep 2015)
    36 Peggy Carter (26 Jun 2016)
    43 Medusa (8 Dec 2016)
    44 Captain Marvel (5 Jan 2017)
    45 Riri Williams (19 Jan 2017)
    53 Vulture (13 Jul 2017)
    61 America Chavez (25 Dec 2017)
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    And Shuri and perhaps Valkyrie are fast on their way to join the top...
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow, Medusa over Gamora?  Why?  Gamora is way better than Medusa.
  • Smart80
    Orion said:
    Yes, it was a sad day..
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,938 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion said:
    Strongly disagree.  Gamora’s stun is awesome. Everything else while good, isn’t anything to write home about. Medusa on the other hand is amazing on soooo many teams. She is essentially the one big counter to a special tile heavy meta. Plus, the healing, stealing, fueling, and passive damage. 

I put every character in the elite 8 in my personal T10 ranking with the exception of Gamora who sits around #15. So congrats to her on making it as far she did.
  • Smart80
    Orion said:
    Strongly disagree.  Gamora’s stun is awesome. Everything else while good, isn’t anything to write home about. Medusa on the other hand is amazing on soooo many teams. She is essentially the one big counter to a special tile heavy meta. Plus, the healing, stealing, fueling, and passive damage. 

I put every character in the elite 8 in my personal T10 ranking with the exception of Gamora who sits around #15. So congrats to her on making it as far she did.
    This is no personal dig, just curious. Have you ever made Gamora insta kill a BIG opponent? I wrote alli comms about that, pictures and all... :-)
  • Smart80
    Smart80 said:
    Orion said:

This is no personal dig, just curious. Have you ever made Gamora insta kill a BIG opponent? I wrote alli comms about that, pictures and all... :-)
    I’ve done it. It’s a fun gimmick... sometimes.  Most times I would much rather have a the special tiles I built up and put on the board.

It in no way is anything I’ve tried for or built around. It’s the equivalent to Nightcrawler’s Purple. On a great board you can kill the entire enemy team and it is awesome when it happens. You can even build to try and proc both abilities (Gamoras instakill or Crawlers winfinite). And while they make for some fun mini games if you have time to kill, they don’t ultimately move the needle that much for either character. 
    Fair enough, i like the option a lot
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Aweberman said:
    It just occurred to me that we're down to 8 and 6 of those 8 are women.  You go girls!
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman said:
    Elite 8
    Cosmic Region
    (1) Captain Marvel vs. (2) Medusa, 85-14

Mutants Region
    (1) Iceman vs. (2) Rogue, 47-52

SHIELD/Avengers Region
    (1) Peggy Carter vs. (2) Riri Williams, 56-45

(1) Vulture vs. (2) America Chavez, 68-30

Final 4
    (1) Captain Marvel vs. (2) Rogue
    (1) Peggy Carter vs. (1) Vulture
    And then there were 4.

Rogue pulls off the only upset in the Elite 8 by squeaking past Iceman in a close one.  But Peggy didn't have an easy time handling Riri, at least compared to previous matches.  Vulture -- the only contestant who completely shut out an opponent in an earlier round -- had a little more trouble with America, but still not too much.  And Carol continued cruising, though Medusa became her first opponent to manage double-digit votes.

Can Rogue pull off a much-bigger upset by knocking off Carol?
    Can Peggy throw her shield high enough to bring Vulture down to earth?

Results will be gathered a little less than 48 hours from the time of this post.
    The championship match will begin on Friday morning (CDT).
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Damn. It went chalk. 
  • SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Odd to say, but, while I don't use Vulture much any more, my vote would easily go to Vulture the rest of the way. There have been a number of times where Vulture has singlehandedly won matches for me that should not have been winnable. He was my second 4* champ after Mockingbird which was a great duo.

Everyone else on the team is downed, but, Vulture is in the air and I have 5-10 black. I then spend 6-10 turns going up and down, dropping green AOE, popping his blue to remove tiles, etc. Sometimes you make a move in-between airborne to get some more black when it's available.

Vulture has bailed me out of highly scaled 5* nodes this way, boss battles, etc. He also has tremendous "normal circumstances" utility as well. Just a monster character.

But, I really don't use him that much now that 4* roster is somewhat filled out. Grockmora is faster and America Chavez teams are just more interesting/fun.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    America may not be all that in 4* land, but paired with 5*s, she is AMAZING.  And paired with a Boosted Thor at 50% health, she's insane.  Her crit tiles are coming out turn 2 after Thor does his thing, and Thor's match damage does 17k easy almost every turn.  So much fun.

When I paired her with Surfer when he was boosted, I had a match-4 with America's crit tile and 3 charged red tiles that did 56k damage.  From a single match.

But for this Final Four, I'm saying Carol over Peggy in a close one.
  • Smart80
    Aweberman said:

Rogue pulls off the only upset in the Elite 8 by squeaking past Iceman in a close one.  But Peggy didn't have an easy time handling Riri, at least compared to previous matches.  Vulture -- the only contestant who completely shut out an opponent in an earlier round -- had a little more trouble with America, but still not too much.  And Carol continued cruising, though Medusa became her first opponent to manage double-digit votes.
    Should we mention who it was against? Lol
  • Aweberman
    Poor Kraven.
  • Smart80
    edited March 2018
    Nice explanation, but thats how AI would play that match.. A decent player would gather some blue and additional black before going airborne...
  • hunky_funky
    hunky_funky Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Smart80 said:
    Nice explanation, but thats how AI would play that match.. A decent player would gather some blue and additional black before going airborne...
    So it's a tie then? If you playing C4arol against Vulture you'll win, and if you playing Vulture against C4arol you'll win too. So what's the the point of comparing? If we could set AI vs. AI, like a demo fight, and see what will happen, I think no one will complane if one of them wins (I don't know, even in best of 3). But we can't...
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman said:
    Final 4
    (1) Captain Marvel vs. (2) Rogue, 79-14
    (1) Peggy Carter vs. (1) Vulture, 37-57

Championship
    (1) Captain Marvel vs. (1) Vulture
    Carol handled Rogue with no problem; sure, Rogue had a better percentage than any other of Carol's competition, but Carol still had 84%.  And Vulture also had his closest match against Peggy, but it was still none too close.

Which leaves us with the championship match: Carol vs. Vulture.