MPQ March Madness complete -- Congrats to the champ: Captain Marvel!

Options

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Aweberman said:
    If I wanted to pull off the timing on this competition, the newer characters were inevitably going to get short shrift. Shuri (and, to an extent, Black Panther) just didn’t have enough time for people to get them into use. If they’d had obvious strengths or weaknesses (like an America-type character, or a Kraven-type) it would have been better. But even after having her for a week in Prodigal Sun, it didn’t feel like enough time to figure her out. 

Next time ... next time...
    I can only speak for myself, but as soon as she was previewed (and we didn't have numbers yet), I knew she was going to be a beast and instantly went on a hunt for her covers.  Went extra hard in PVE, leveled two classics for shield training, etc.  Someone who has the AP suppression of Peggy and the acceleration of Star-Lord plus has a niche of a fortified tile master, does passive damage and a green that hits like a truck and can stun 3 turns was bound to be really really good.  Even if I've never played her, on paper she is insane.

But her awesomeness aside, the other issue for me is that Crawler just isn't that great.  He has a fun but unreliable purple and that's about it.  I like to find teams with him to goof around with because high risk/high reward characters are tons of fun in meaningless matches.  But he's not a great character by any stretch.

I agree in general that newer will beat out older due to familiarity, I just hoped people were familiar enough with NC to know he's not that great.
  • OldManWolvs
    OldManWolvs Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    New rounds please!!
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I agree with some others regarding Shuri. Feels like too many people picked solely on which "Marvel" character they liked better.
    My vote was based on this simple reason, and I don't see anything wrong about it (well, I have fun playing with him too!). Nightcrawler is one of my favorite characters, and I would choose him over almost anyone, no matter how bad/good the opponent is in the game ^^
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Aweberman said:
    I ran out of time to gather results on the Cosmic Region, so I'll get that later.

The SHIELD/Avengers regional quarterfinals is ready to go!
  • IceHockey333
    IceHockey333 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's definitely starting to become more difficult to pick these when they don't involve Vulture.
  • Aweberman
    Options
    Aweberman said:
    Round 2

Cosmic Region
    (1) Captain Marvel vs. (8) Yondu, 119-1
    (4) Cloak & Dagger vs. (5) Star-Lord, 82-37
    (2) Medusa vs. (7) Rocket & Groot, 89-25
    (3) Nova vs. (6) Gamora, 23-97

SHIELD/Avengers Region
    (1) Peggy Carter vs. (8) Wasp
    (4) Agent Coulson vs. (5) Iron Man
    (2) Riri Williams vs. (7) Luke Cage
    (3) Mockingbird vs. (6) Kate Bishop
    I have gathered the results for the Cosmic regional quarterfinals.

The Mutants regional quarterfinals will be posted tomorrow.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nooooooooooooo, baby Groot animation out already? :-(
  • Aweberman
    Options
    Aweberman said:
    While I have been collecting the results after 2 or 3 days from the matches, there is no way to close a poll without deleting the thread.  With that in mind, I have been continually updating the results with the late votes.  Up until today, it was only an adjustment in the totals.  However, when I went to get the final final results in the Nightcrawler/Shuri match, there was actually a change in the winner, with Shuri getting enough votes to put her over Nightcrawler by 1.  Since that's what the vote total showed at the time I posted the next round, that's what I went with.

I am leaving the SHIELD/Avengers Region matches linked for another day to try to get a little more participation there.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Most of the results for  SHIELD/Avengers Region are clear cut except for AC vs IM. The result is very close with IM leading by a few votes. It's down to direct damage vs countdown effect and damage.

The results for Mutant Region is also straightforward as of now except  for Cyclops vs IF. The weird thing is most of the close fight since Round 1 happened in the second pairs.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,648 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Most of the results for  SHIELD/Avengers Region are clear cut except for AC vs IM. The result is very close with IM leading by a few votes. It's down to direct damage vs countdown effect and damage.

The results for Mutant Region is also straightforward as of now except  for Cyclops vs IF. The weird thing is most of the close fight since Round 1 happened in the second pairs.
    I wouldn't call it weird. As the seeds that are closest together, you would possibly expect it to be a closer match. Although Iron Fist seems to be getting ahead now.
  • IceHockey333
    IceHockey333 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The Coulson race has been intense!

And it looks like the girls are beating the boys pretty bad overall.

Good times.
  • Aweberman
    Options
    Aweberman said:

SHIELD/Avengers Region
    (1) Peggy Carter vs. (8) Wasp, 91-15
    (4) Agent Coulson vs. (5) Iron Man, 51-50
    (2) Riri Williams vs. (7) Luke Cage, 81-22
    (3) Mockingbird vs. (6) Kate Bishop, 69-29

Mutants Region
    (1) Iceman vs. (8) Deadpool
    (4) Cyclops vs. (5) Iron Fist
    (2) Rogue vs. (10) Shuri
    (3) Jean Grey vs. (11) Gwenpool
    I have gathered the results for the SHIELD/Avengers quarterfinals.  As was true with the Nightcrawler/Shuri match from round 1, I will check the results for Agent Coulson/Iron Man again just before posting the next round, in case anything changes.

The Mutants quarterfinal round continues apace.
  • Aweberman
    Options
    I am going to give this one more day, rather than post the final set of regional quarterfinals on a Sunday.
  • Aweberman
    Options
    OJSP said:
    Aweberman said:
    I am going to give this one more day, rather than post the final set of regional quarterfinals on a Sunday.
    Are the poll opened for a fixed time or do you stop counting them after giving them the same period of time? 
    I'm shooting for around 2 days, but mainly I'm more interested in getting roughly the same number of votes rather than them being open for the same number of days.
  • Aweberman
    Options
    Aweberman said:
    I have left the links up for the Mutants Region because I'm hoping to get over the 100 vote mark for those matches.

The final set of matches in round 2 is the Villains/Supernatural regional quarterfinals.

The Sweet 16 will start on Wednesday.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,648 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would have liked Moon Knight to have got a bit further as I really like his design but I suspect this might be curtains for him.
  • Smart80
    Options
    Easy matches indeed. Next round, not so much..
  • Aweberman
    Options
    Aweberman said:
    Mutants Region
    (1) Iceman vs. (8) Deadpool, 89-15
    (4) Cyclops vs. (5) Iron Fist, 68-39
    (2) Rogue vs. (10) Shuri, 99-7
    (3) Jean Grey vs. (11) Gwenpool, 72-33

Villians/Supernatural Region
    (1) Vulture vs. (8) The Punisher
    (4) Blade vs. (5) Thor
    (2) America Chavez vs. (7) Moon Knight
    (3) Red Hulk vs. (6) Mordo
    I have gathered the results from the Mutants regional quarterfinals.

The Villains/Supernatural regional quarterfinals continue.

Tomorrow, I will post the regional semifinals for the Cosmic and Mutants regions, aka, the first half of the Sweet 16.
  • Smart80
    Options
    Wow, Danny really lost to that one-eyed dinosaur? Do people realise that big nuke costs 20 ap in total? And that Peggy40 and even Thoress40 made him absolete a long time ago?