MPQ March Madness complete -- Congrats to the champ: Captain Marvel!

Comments

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yondu wins out against AV?!? Yondu?! Really?
    Yondu is surprisingly good. I really do like AV though. I will use either of them when boosted without hesitation.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,550 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    Yondu is surprisingly good. I really do like AV though. I will use either of them when boosted without hesitation.

I probably would have voted for AV because of his cheap black, but yeah, despite Yondu's yellow being a complete waste, he's a pretty good character.  If the strikes he created with black were bigger, I'd probably vote for him instead.

I got to it too late, though.

• Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Can Gwenpool be the only upset of the first round?  We shall see...
    Im actually surprised that Gwenpool started this battle as underdog... She is fun and hits like few other. X23 only has her heal really..
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    Rather than launch round 2 on a Sunday, I will be posting the first set of regional quarterfinals tomorrow morning.
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman said:
    Round 1
    --Flight 8--
    (2) Rogue vs. (15) Howard the Duck, 88-5
    (7) Nightcrawler vs. (10) Shuri, 43-40
    (3) Jean Grey vs. (14) Elektra, 91-0
    (6) X-23 vs. (11) Gwenpool, 25-67

Round 2

Cosmic Region
    (1) Captain Marvel vs. (8) Yondu
    (4) Cloak & Dagger vs. (5) Star-Lord
    (2) Medusa vs. (7) Rocket & Groot
    (3) Nova vs. (6) Gamora
    I have gathered the results for the final flight, which contained the only upset in all of round 1.

Round 2 begins now with the Cosmic Region quarterfinals.
  • twistmonkey
    twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker
    tiomono said:

Thinking about this again, potentially Yondu won out due to the R4G strike tile boost which I totally get. But yeah, AV black (cheap) and red (especially on a 100% enemy) hits like a truck. I hear his yellow AoE is good too but I've never specced him that way.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Most of the results are pretty clear cut except for a few. The fight between Shuri and Nightcrawler are very close. I think Shuri might have won if she was in the game longer.

Wow! Kraven the Hunter and Elektra got lots of love from the posters. You can't even count it. :D I wonder what's the result going to be if Kraven and Elektra face off each other.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,669 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    The designers of Kraven and Elektra should never look at this thread.  :(

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,065 Chairperson of the Boards
    Most of the results are pretty clear cut except for a few. The fight between Shuri and Nightcrawler are very close. I think Shuri might have won if she was in the game longer.

Wow! Kraven the Hunter and Elektra got lots of love from the posters. You can't even count it. :D I wonder what's the result going to be if Kraven and Elektra face off each other.

So Elektra gives Kraven some strike tiles, then she steals one back which Kraven then reduces to uselessness. So Kraven puts out his trap but so does Elektra via her black which negates any damage caused. So that leaves the countdown tiles to try and kill each other.

Gonna be a long night...
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,065 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    The designers of Kraven and Elektra should never look at this thread.  :(

At least Elektra is an old character so some sympathy for her rubbishness can be had.

But Kraven...
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Mary Poppins Y'all!
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 445 Mover and Shaker
    Can't believe NC won against Shuri!??

Shuri is a top 10 4* contender imo while NC struggles to be top 20. But i guess people will see her greatness when they got more covers for her.
  • IceHockey333
    IceHockey333 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Mary Poppins Y'all!
    Word......
  • Smart80
    talleman said:

Shuri is a top 10 4* contender imo while NC struggles to be top 20. But i guess people will see her greatness when they got more covers for her.
    She should get a rookie award perhaps.. Sadly, play-offs came too soon for her..
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,938 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    talleman said:

I rank Shuri in the 8-12 range with room to grow. And Crawler in the 35-40 range. SHOCKED he beat her. But then again I haven’t voted on any of these. I’m thinking some are also voting based on how they would fare 1 v. 1 Crash-style and not who the better MPQ character is. Even still, I’d take Shuri. People are severely sleeping on her.

Smart80 said:
    talleman said:

She should get a rookie award perhaps.. Sadly, play-offs came too soon for her..
    As good as Shuri is, I think Vulture has ROTY locked up. 

• Smart80
    Vulture still considered a rookie? Next to leave latest12 and around for almost 8 months. Everyone should have been able to get him covered really..

In fact, he is even already a 5star feeder.. 
  • IceHockey333
    IceHockey333 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Rookie of the "Year"...
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    I agree with some others regarding Shuri. Feels like too many people picked solely on which "Marvel" character they liked better.
  • Smart80
    edited March 2018
    Rookie of the "Year"...
    Yeah and a season usually last a year as well... also, you the one that picked the year as time period, not me.. ;-)
  • Aweberman
    If I wanted to pull off the timing on this competition, the newer characters were inevitably going to get short shrift. Shuri (and, to an extent, Black Panther) just didn’t have enough time for people to get them into use. If they’d had obvious strengths or weaknesses (like an America-type character, or a Kraven-type) it would have been better. But even after having her for a week in Prodigal Sun, it didn’t feel like enough time to figure her out. 

Next time ... next time...