MPQ March Madness complete -- Congrats to the champ: Captain Marvel!

Options

Comments

• Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Captain Marvel is probably the only character I would choose over Medusa. As I’ve said a couple times already, while flavour of the week characters like Grocket and Gamora will get passed up by the meta, a versatile support like Medusa will always be valuable. Just look at IM40. 
    Vulture edges out Carol in my book. Both are great on a number of teams and are useful for multiple reasons with a variety of builds.

Vulture, however, is just a monster.

He's the IM40/battery of the 4* tier when needed and is also equally capable of single-handedly taking down enemy teams while avoiding taking any damage himself and cranking "You Can't Touch This" from his wing speakers or whatever those things are.
    Haha, now i wish it were speakers, but they are his propulsion.. :-)

But let’s not jump the gun on future fights. Dont worry, they will face eachother before the competition is over.. ;-)
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Captain Marvel is probably the only character I would choose over Medusa. As I’ve said a couple times already, while flavour of the week characters like Grocket and Gamora will get passed up by the meta, a versatile support like Medusa will always be valuable. Just look at IM40. 
    Vulture edges out Carol in my book. Both are great on a number of teams and are useful for multiple reasons with a variety of builds.

He's the IM40/battery of the 4* tier when needed and is also equally capable of single-handedly taking down enemy teams while avoiding taking any damage himself and cranking "You Can't Touch This" from his wing speakers or whatever those things are.
    My Vulture only has 3 or 4 covers so I don’t have a good read on what he’s capable of. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

My Vulture only has 3 or 4 covers so I don’t have a good read on what he’s capable of. 
    He is very capable with a bit of black in his pocket.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

He's a pain in the butt, to be honest.  6 Black AP and he takes off into the air and is basically untouchable by everyone but Archangel.  While there, he generates Green, Blue, and Black.  He doesn't generate quite enough black to do it again, but almost - you just need like 2 more (so a bit less than one match.)  Essentially you get to use the green and blue with other characters and then when Vulture lands you just take off again unless the board is particularly bad for black.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  His own blue and green are decent if you don't have them in other characters, but obviously he works best when you're hammering your opponent with those colors while Vulture kindly generates them for you.

When you face Vulture, you have to either deny black or down him quickly otherwise he takes off.  After that point he can stay aloft for a while.  If you down the other characters he has to land eventually, but if he got lucky with black that can be quite some time and he blasts you with his blue every time he takes off.  His green too, unless you can match it or otherwise deal with CDs.

I'm not saying he's OP - I don't think he is - but he is a great support character.  Particularly when you have other characters such as 5*s using the Green and Blue to blow your opponent away.

Archangel shuts him down completely (Archangel's passive knocks him out of the air and stuns him pretty much immediately,) but Vulture is pretty much the only reason to bring Archangel, even if you have him Champed.  Archangel is pretty weak.

• Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just the fact they deemed it neccesary to make a 5* to counter Vulture makes me say he actually is OP in 4* tier.

5ess node in DPvMPQ made me retreat twice today, cause was way too much black on the board and the match would take far too long..
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I was able to use 'loaner' Vulture in the recent PvE and this power generator is like an upgrade to IM40 that comes without the side effect. Generating 10 ap each turn... Pair him up with Bagman to keep him up longer...  :D

Since black is his strongest colour, anyone who can specifically destroys/steals black ap (e.g. Winter Soldier), anyone who can destroys/steals ap from strongest colour if the team strongest colour is black or make it costlier to use ability (Peggy Carter or Shuri) will help with clipping Vulture's wings.

3* Angel could be a good counter (boosted) but since I've been throwing away all his covers... I couldn't try it out against vulture. 

I also remember Vulture's PvP being one of the more intense PvP I ever had. Both teams were down to only Vulture and I was timing his flight to avoid taking damage/losing the match. After multiple turns of flying, I finally won the match after the AI ran out of gas. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pair him up with Bagman to keep him up longer...  :D
    How exactly?
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    You can't. My mistake. I misremembered that he will create a countdown tile for his black ability. He doesn't. This idea must have kicked in when I was thinking about IM40 and Vulture. IM40's yellow ability requires countdown tile.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I was on the fence about Carol vs. Vulture for a bit but having had them both boosted recently I think I've decided in favor of Vulture-- he's the only character in the game who, with very little health and without even being boosted, can single handedly decimate entire teams at full health.  In addition to that he generates a staggering amount of ap, clears countdown and invisibility tiles, etc.  Vulture ftw.
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Aweberman said:
    Sweet 16
    Cosmic Region
    (1) Captain Marvel vs. (4) Cloak & Dagger, 106-6
    (2) Medusa vs. (6) Gamora, 65-45

Mutants Region
    (1) Iceman vs. (4) Cyclops, 83-24
    (2) Rogue vs. (3) Jean Grey, 80-26

SHIELD/Avengers Region
    (1) Peggy Carter vs. (4) Agent Coulson
    (2) Riri Williams vs. (3) Mockingbird

Villains/Supernatural Region
    (1) Vulture vs. (4) Blade
    (2) America Chavez vs. (3) Red Hulk
    I have gathered the results for the first two sets of regional semifinals and posted the final two sets.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    For vulture to go airborne, he would need to do 2 black matches, with the strongest colour for both Carol and vulture being black, he would eat 2 energy manipulation before being able to airborne. I'm not sure vulture can win this. Also, he's completely hamstrung if he isn't able to collect black
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    madoctor said:
    For vulture to go airborne, he would need to do 2 black matches, with the strongest colour for both Carol and vulture being black, he would eat 2 energy manipulation before being able to airborne. I'm not sure vulture can win this. Also, he's completely hamstrung if he isn't able to collect black
    Remember--this isn't a one-on-one fight. It is "Which character are you more likely to use?"

Great job with the seeds. All 1's vs. 2's.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My Carol is almost maxxed, whereas vulture is barely 290, so it's tough for me to say which I am more likely to use. However I will say, Carol is boosted this week and I have been using her over my other champed 5s in some matches in PvP and used her a lot in PvE too. Maybe if my vulture was higher, I would also be using him over the 5s
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Chavez vs Rulk makes you think. I got both champed and i enjoy playing with both of them.

Chavez is amazing with 5*s but i dont use her very often with other 4*s. Her green power is her strenght while i think yellow is to hard to pull of. Red really needs her to tank all her colours.

Rulk is probably the best Grocket counter in the game and i use him as fast as i hit 1600 points in Sim targeting Grocket teams. He also fules himself with purple and he have a decent green AoE. Very nice when boosted.

My vote goes to Rulk
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was on the fence about Carol vs. Vulture for a bit but having had them both recently I think I've decided in favor of Vulture-- he's the only character in the game who, with very little health, can single handedly decimate entire teams at full health.  In addition to that he generates a staggering amount of ap, clears countdown and invisibility tiles, etc.  Vulture ftw.
    Agreed. His green nuke is actually a super powerful AOE for the AP, his blue is a useful tile clearer and AP generator, his black is a great battery for himself and/or others and allows allows him to be one of the greatest defensive characters in the game (near invincible with enough Black. 

Carol is definately more interesting because her kit is so unlike anyone else’s and she does stuff no one else can, but as far as the better character goes, I’m ready to give Vulture the crown (though I think the masses vote Carol).

talleman said:
    Chavez vs Rulk makes you think. I got both champed and i enjoy playing with both of them.

Chavez is amazing with 5*s but i dont use her very often with other 4*s. Her green power is her strenght while i think yellow is to hard to pull of. Red really needs her to tank all her colours.

Rulk is probably the best Grocket counter in the game and i use him as fast as i hit 1600 points in Sim targeting Grocket teams. He also fules himself with purple and he have a decent green AoE. Very nice when boosted.

My vote goes to Rulk
    I have to go Chavez after getting third in the last PVE while barely firing any active powers. I just used Chavez, and a level 255 5* Gambit (for AP gen/suppression). Literally just match damaged and passived my way through the entire event. Never played her boosted before but she’s a beast. When heavy hitters like boosted Carol and Clagger are on the bench that’s saying something. Rulk is a beast for sure, but I don’t think he’s T10 anymore.

(This event has me seriously thinking about my own T10 rankings which I am revising lol).
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It doesnt take a 5 to shut down Vulture; they just inexplicably wasted a 5 creating a hard counter to a 4.

I havent used 3* Angel since release. Is he any use vs. Vulture?

Yeah, that's what I think too.  They made Archangel the hard counter to characters who go airborne to help their team, and at the moment that's pretty much just Vulture.  It's dumb, but at least we have an option (those of us who have a fully covered Archangel, anyway.)

3* Angel doesn't have the passive on "Angle of Attack," so no, he's no real use vs Vulture.  3* Angel does have the other thing that makes Archangel unique - his black can be used to deny your opponent a color, but otherwise he's not particularly useful against Vulture.

Here's another odd note regarding Angel/Archangel: they're not the same character, they are Archangel (Classic) and Angel (All New X-Men.)  So you could actually put them in the same team.

Not that you'd want to, but you could.  I just tried, but I couldn't get the screenshot anywhere I could post it here...

• HoundofShadow
    Options
    Bobbi got trashed by Riri in the poll. Sad. Vulture easily wins the poll. Will it go down to between Vulture and American Chavez in the end?
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The contest and the discussion are highlighting the differences between 4* and 5* play. 

As always, sounds like there's more balance and variety in the 4* meta .... Being the larger tier, there should be.

But voting as a 5* player, its carol and chavez all the way.

Maybe in a year or two my 4s will near maxchamp and see more play again.

And look at Riri go. That was quite a buff!

I actually voted against Chavez this round. Despite being spectacular with 5s, I can't see her being as good as RHulk in the 4star tier, and especially not in the 3-4 transition.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think you might be overlooking how good the passive is which upgrades her match damage.  In 5* land this is largely redundant unless you have a massive boosted AC, but could be a lot better in the 3/4* tiers.
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    A bit delayed here (apologies), but I will be posting the next round on Monday morning (CDT).