MPQ March Madness complete -- Congrats to the champ: Captain Marvel!

Options
Aweberman
Aweberman Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
edited April 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Welcome to Marvel Puzzle Quest's version of March Madness!

This is a single-elimination tournament pitting all 64 Legendary (4-Star) characters in the game against one another to see who will come out on top, with votes by the users of this forum determining the outcome.

If you'd like to make your own bracket predictions, feel free to access the tournament bracket here:

http://challonge.com/mpq

(Please note: The above-linked bracket is where the results are posted and cannot be filled out by users.)

Every 2 days, a new set of 4 matches will be posted in the Off-topic forum, with a poll in each to allow users to vote for which Legendary character they prefer.  I will gather the results after about 48 hours, with any ties being broken by moderator fight4thedream (or Brigby, if he wants).

Please contain discussion of the relative merits of each character to those specific threads.  

Round 1
Cosmic Region
--Flight 1--
(1) Captain Marvel d. (16) Lockjaw, 116-1
(8) Yondu d. (9) Agent Venom, 61-54
(4) Cloak & Dagger d. (13) Drax, 112-2
(5) Star-Lord d. (12) Spider-Gwen, 83-30
--Flight 2--
(2) Medusa vs. (15) Mr. Fantastic, 91-3
(7) Rocket & Groot vs. (10) The Thing, 84-10
(3) Nova vs. (14) Invisible Woman, 68-24
(6) Gamora vs. (11) Miles Morales, 91-4

SHIELD/Avengers Region
--Flight 3--
(1) Peggy Carter vs. (16) The Hulk (Main Event), 100-4
(8) Wasp vs. (9) Quake, 82-19
(4) Agent Coulson vs. (13) Ant-Man, 71-28
(5) Iron Man vs. (12) Nick Fury, 74-27
--Flight 4--
(2) Riri Williams vs. (15) Sam Wilson, 96-1
(7) Luke Cage vs. (10) Black Panther, 71-12
(3) Mockingbird vs. (14) War Machine, 84-10
(6) Kate Bishop vs. (11) Spider-Woman, 60-23

Villains/Supernatural Region
--Flight 5--
(1) Vulture vs. (16) Kraven the Hunter, 99-0
(8) The Punisher vs. (9) Carnage, 56-39
(4) Blade vs. (13) Nico Minoru, 93-4
(5) Thor vs. (12) Winter Soldier, 88-10
--Flight 6--
(2) America Chavez vs. (15) Sandman, 90-5
(7) Moon Knight vs. (10) Kingpin, 91-6
(3) Red Hulk vs. (14) Venom, 90-4
(6) Mordo vs. (11) Ghost Rider, 73-23

Mutants Region
--Flight 7--
(1) Iceman vs. (16) Devil Dinosaur, 100-2
(8) Deadpool vs. (9) Professor X, 59-37
(4) Cyclops vs. (13) Wolverine, 89-10
(5) Iron Fist vs. (12) The Hulk (Totally Awesome), 85-16
--Flight 8--
(2) Rogue vs. (15) Howard the Duck, 97-5
(7) Nightcrawler vs. (10) Shuri, 44-45
(3) Jean Grey vs. (14) Elektra, 98-0
(6) X-23 vs. (11) Gwenpool, 28-71
Round 2
Cosmic Region
(1) Captain Marvel vs. (8) Yondu, 119-1
(4) Cloak & Dagger vs. (5) Star-Lord, 82-37
(2) Medusa vs. (7) Rocket & Groot, 89-25
(3) Nova vs. (6) Gamora, 23-97

SHIELD/Avengers Region
(1) Peggy Carter vs. (8) Wasp, 91-15
(4) Agent Coulson vs. (5) Iron Man, 51-50
(2) Riri Williams vs. (7) Luke Cage, 81-22
(3) Mockingbird vs. (6) Kate Bishop, 69-29

Mutants Region
(1) Iceman vs. (8) Deadpool, 89-15
(4) Cyclops vs. (5) Iron Fist, 68-39
(2) Rogue vs. (10) Shuri, 99-7
(3) Jean Grey vs. (11) Gwenpool, 72-33

(1) Vulture vs. (8) The Punisher, 99-10
(4) Blade vs. (5) Thor, 72-32
(2) America Chavez vs. (7) Moon Knight, 81-26
(3) Red Hulk vs. (6) Mordo, 66-46
Sweet 16
Cosmic Region
(1) Captain Marvel vs. (4) Cloak & Dagger, 106-6
(2) Medusa vs. (6) Gamora, 65-45

Mutants Region
(1) Iceman vs. (4) Cyclops, 83-24
(2) Rogue vs. (3) Jean Grey, 80-26

SHIELD/Avengers Region
(1) Peggy Carter vs. (4) Agent Coulson, 87-14
(2) Riri Williams vs. (3) Mockingbird, 83-19

(1) Vulture vs. (4) Blade, 89-12
(2) America Chavez vs. (3) Red Hulk, 77-24
Elite 8
Cosmic Region
(1) Captain Marvel vs. (2) Medusa, 85-14

Mutants Region
(1) Iceman vs. (2) Rogue, 47-52

SHIELD/Avengers Region
(1) Peggy Carter vs. (2) Riri Williams, 56-44

(1) Vulture vs. (2) America Chavez, 67-30
Final 4
(1) Captain Marvel vs. (2) Rogue, 79-14
(1) Peggy Carter vs. (1) Vulture, 37-57
Championship
(1) Captain Marvel vs. (1) Vulture, 74-25

Comments

• LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Just to clarify - What do we make our choice based on?

1.  Which one we think would beat the other given a neutral board
    2.  Which one we prefer playing with on a daily basis
    3.  Which one we just like more

Thanks.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Medusa vs Rocket and Groot second round? That will be interesting to see which finalist goes out early.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,919 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LXSandman said:
    Just to clarify - What do we make our choice based on?

1.  Which one we think would beat the other given a neutral board
    2.  Which one we prefer playing with on a daily basis
    3.  Which one we just like more

Thanks.
    According to the Structure and Nature thread, I think the OP would like people to vote on who you are more likely to use in-game because of their overall utility and power. There is actually a bit of a debate going on regarding this very subject. lol 

However having looked over the polls, I realized that it probably would have been better if each match-up had three distinct polling options:

The main poll: Which character do you think is more useful overall in terms of in-game play and dynamics?

Sub poll 1: If these two characters were to fight one-on-one, which would be the victor?

Sub poll 2: Which character do you like more? 

That way users would be better able to approach the main poll in the way the OP intended and we could come out with three different champions:

MPQ MVP for the main poll winner
    The Lone Wolf for sub poll 1 winner
    Mr./Ms. Popularity for sub poll 2 winner

I only regret not thinking of this sooner.  orz
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Not that I expect anyone to follow suit but I broke my ratings down into Gameplay (i.e. how the character is generally in play), Artwork (an important element to a video game IMHO) and Finish the Fight (i.e. what the character is like if they are the last one standing and their chances of winning the fight - I didn't include considerations on amount of health left for obvious reasons but overall healthpool might be relevant).

Edit: The reason I did the above was that I felt it allowed for the possibility of more upsets in my voting, otherwise there is the danger of it simply following the seed order. However - a character like R&G will obviously score high on gameplay but do you want them as your last character standing, especially if those strike tiles are gone...
  • Aweberman
    Options
    @fight4thedream Is there a way to do those three polling options in one poll, or in one thread? Even if we can’t fit it into this first flight, we could do it going forward. 
  • fight4thedream
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Aweberman said:
    @fight4thedream Is there a way to do those three polling options in one poll, or in one thread? Even if we can’t fit it into this first flight, we could do it going forward. 
    I was just about to make a test one when I realized that it won't work because the matches are dependent on the main polling option.

So for example, if Agent Venom beats Yondu in the main poll but loses to Yondu in the subs 1 and 2, we would have to make another thread to accommodate Yondu's sub wins. It will get way too complicated. Let's try to keep it simple for now but if this turns out to be successful it might be cool to think about running more tournaments focused on other aspects in the future. :)
  • Nabistay
    Nabistay Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Wait, is there a way to fill out a bracket for this prediction wise? This challonge site is new to me
  • Aweberman
    Options
    Nabistay said:
    Wait, is there a way to fill out a bracket for this prediction wise? This challonge site is new to me
    I’m not sure about that. I don’t know what options it gives you if you are a logged-in member ... but if I had to guess, I would say it’s not likely. 
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Aweberman said:
    Nabistay said:
    I’m not sure about that. I don’t know what options it gives you if you are a logged-in member ... but if I had to guess, I would say it’s not likely. 
    Or just type it all out like daredevil did in the other thread
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For round one I took captain marvel, agent venom, spidergwen, cloak and dagger.  Yondu might be strong but his blue is really expensive and agent venom can do some real damage.  He is under rated and yondu is over rated.  
    Spidergwens stun is why she would beat starlord.  Starlord is someone who is best in support and 1V1 he struggles.  Drax really needs support and I just don’t think he is very good.
  • OldManWolvs
    OldManWolvs Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    How do we vote in the challonge link? I can’t click on any of the names 
  • Aweberman
    Options
    The Challonge link is not where the voting takes place. That link is simply to show you what the overall bracket is and where I will record the results. 

To vote in the available matches, follow the links from the first post in this thread. 
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Votes casted. The only pick I really had to think about was Yondu vs. Agent Venom, so I'd say the seeding looks good so far.  :)
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    wymtime said:
    For round one I took captain marvel, agent venom, spidergwen, cloak and dagger.  Yondu might be strong but his blue is really expensive and agent venom can do some real damage.  He is under rated and yondu is over rated.  
    Spidergwens stun is why she would beat starlord.  Starlord is someone who is best in support and 1V1 he struggles.  Drax really needs support and I just don’t think he is very good.
    Did you play with yondu last week? Teamed up with vulture to gain blue AP was great. Both were boosted and did terrible things in pvp and pve.
  • wymtime
    edited February 2018
    Options
    wymtime said:
    Did you play with yondu last week? Teamed up with vulture to gain blue AP was great. Both were boosted and did terrible things in pvp and pve.
    I did use yondu and have him champed.  I am looking also 1V1 and would take agent venom.  I would actually take agent venom over yondu overall.  Yondu’s Black is really not that good becuase his strike tiles are just not strong enough.  Both yellow are poor but agent venom can do some fast damage with black and his red can also do a lot of damage.  Agent venom is really strong and does not need an extra support character to be good.
    i didn’t see yondu in PVP since I am in 5* land and any yondu or Vulture I faced were easy matches.  I would save them both for last and they never fired a power.  I used Arch Angel for Vulture and let the AI match black.
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    wymtime said:
    wymtime said:
    I did use yondu and have him champed.  I am looking also 1V1 and would take agent venom.  I would actually take agent venom over yondu overall.  Yondu’s Black is really not that good becuase his strike tiles are just not strong enough.  Both yellow are poor but agent venom can do some fast damage with black and his red can also do a lot of damage.  Agent venom is really strong and does not need an extra support character to be good.
    i didn’t see yondu in PVP since I am in 5* land and any yondu or Vulture I faced were easy matches.  I would save them both for last and they never fired a power.  I used Arch Angel for Vulture and let the AI match black.
    Not a fan of thinking of these in a 1v1 scenario. Hurts utility characters too much. I do like AV though. He requires more maintenance than Yondu though in team building.
  • fight4thedream
    Options
    wymtime said:
    wymtime said:
    Not a fan of thinking of these in a 1v1 scenario. Hurts utility characters too much. I do like AV though. He requires more maintenance than Yondu though in team building.
    Yeah, the Agent Venom vs Yondu match was the most difficult to decide but after thinking it over carefully I think Agent Venom comes out on top if we are considering overall team utility and usefulness in top level play. He has one of the best yellow powers in the game and if used as a team-up your whole team gets 4 turns of invisibility. His red and black are both mid-tier decent abilities. On the other hand, with Yondu you are looking at an amazing blue power, and two "meh" powers. 

I think it really falls down to what tier level you are playing at: If you are primarily in the 4* tier, I can definitely see why Yondu would be the preferred choice because he teams well with other 4* characters. But if you are in the 5* tier, Agent Venom brings more to the table, especially when teamed with 5* 50% Thor. (For anyone looking for fun times, 5* Thor below 50%, Agent Venom 5/3/5 and America Chavez).

But that's just my two cents. ゙☆⌒o(*^ー゚)v
  • Aweberman
    Options
    Aweberman said:
    Round 1

Cosmic Region
    --Flight 1--
    (1) Captain Marvel d. (16) Lockjaw, 111-1
    (8) Yondu d. (9) Agent Venom, 58-50
    (4) Cloak & Dagger d. (13) Drax, 106-2
    (5) Star-Lord d. (12) Spider-Gwen, 78-29

--Flight 2--
    (2) Medusa vs. (15) Mr. Fantastic
    (7) Rocket & Groot vs. (10) The Thing
    (3) Nova vs. (14) Invisible Woman
    (6) Gamora vs. (11) Miles Morales

Flight 2 matches continue to be available!  I have linked them here (and in the first post), as well as reporting the results of the first flight.
  • wymtime
    Options
    Flight 2 felt a lot easier to choose than flight 1.  You had the full team of great synergy with R&G, Gamora, Medusa all considered really strong.  They pair well with 3*, 4*, or 5*.  With Nova vs IW I went Nova.  His is a glass cannon who is super strong.  IW is Probably the 5th best out of the 8 listed and has some good powers but is below the other 4.  I think Thing is overrated as the 10 seed and IW is underrated as a 14.  IW ability to go invisable and make her team invisable plus a green nuke makes her much more dangerous than Thing and his overly expensive powers.

my votes Medusa, R&G, Nova, Gamora

• Bruinsfan17
    Bruinsfan17 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've never used the new Hulk but unfortunately there's only 1 or 2 characters that could beat out Peggy and I don't think he's one of them. Quake is kind of a one trick pony and if her COTT proves anything, it's that she struggles mightily 1v1. Ant-Man vs, Coulson is a tough one. I went with Ant-Man mostly just on personal preference but also because I feel Coulson is so dependent on Countdown tiles that his use in teams is quite restricted. Ant-Man holds up better on his own and in other teams. Ironically, if it weren't for a complete overlap in colours, they'd work wonderful on the same team. And lastly, HB still hits like a truck especially while boosted so he takes it easily for me.