Update to Versus Tournament Progression Rewards (11/15/17)

Options

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    nvm, don't want to be that guy.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    sh81 said:
    MMR, what a beast huh?

I played through my health packs and got to 670.  I dont need the 4* so I  left it to see what my float point is.  Ive stopped getting hit at 296.

That climb to 670 was probably 20 matches.  I simply could not queue anything over 40 points (literally 2 matches of more than that) and ended up taking a few matches at low 30s because I ran out of 38s as well.

I started the sub sometime after it started, and so there should in theory have been points available.  There just wasnt.

This is why we stress strictly climbing on matches worth 40 or more. A match being worth 38 points or less means that the person has less points than you, or about the same. If all you're doing is strictly hitting these people, you're leaving yourself open to ridiculous amounts of retaliation because you're still climbing and making yourself worth much more to them to hit you back than it was for you to hit them. The more someone is worth when you hit them, the greater the gap in your points, and thus the less attractive it will be for them to hit you back. This is how people are able to climb to 700-800 in one go, only taking 1-2 hits at the most, but a lot of times, not hits at all. 

So once again we arrive at this impasse of you claiming that finding 40+ pt matches is just impossible. You have enough 4-star champs where you should always have at least 1-2 boosted champs, so your MMR should put you in a place where you are q'ing up other boosted 4-star teams. These are the people that score 900-1200 in PVP on a basis, so I'm seriously struggling to conceive how you just can't seem to q not one of them. I don't know if it's the slice you play in, or how much time is left when you're climbing or what, but something is awry in your process of finding q's to climb on. Does anyone in your alliance climb to 900 on a regular basis? 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    sh81 said:
    MMR, what a beast huh?

I played through my health packs and got to 670.  I dont need the 4* so I  left it to see what my float point is.  Ive stopped getting hit at 296.

That climb to 670 was probably 20 matches.  I simply could not queue anything over 40 points (literally 2 matches of more than that) and ended up taking a few matches at low 30s because I ran out of 38s as well.

I started the sub sometime after it started, and so there should in theory have been points available.  There just wasnt.

This is why we stress strictly climbing on matches worth 40 or more. A match being worth 38 points or less means that the person has less points than you, or about the same. If all you're doing is strictly hitting these people, you're leaving yourself open to ridiculous amounts of retaliation because you're still climbing and making yourself worth much more to them to hit you back than it was for you to hit them. The more someone is worth when you hit them, the greater the gap in your points, and thus the less attractive it will be for them to hit you back. This is how people are able to climb to 700-800 in one go, only taking 1-2 hits at the most, but a lot of times, not hits at all. 

So once again we arrive at this impasse of you claiming that finding 40+ pt matches is just impossible. You have enough 4-star champs where you should always have at least 1-2 boosted champs, so your MMR should put you in a place where you are q'ing up other boosted 4-star teams. These are the people that score 900-1200 in PVP on a basis, so I'm seriously struggling to conceive how you just can't seem to q not one of them. I don't know if it's the slice you play in, or how much time is left when you're climbing or what, but something is awry in your process of finding q's to climb on. Does anyone in your alliance climb to 900 on a regular basis? 
    Um, the dude just sold his entire roster.  Soooooo.....
  • broll
    Options
    sh81 said:
    MMR, what a beast huh?

Obviously I'm not the guy you were talking to (and as noted he rage quit so not getting an answer from him), but I can speak to this from my experience.  Typically when i get close to 900 I'm in the top 20-50 somewhere.  So there are only 20-50 players above me at all.  Half or more of those are 5* people out of my MMR and probably 75% of those are shielded.  I've done 50-70 skips before and not seen a single 40+ team (and got hit a bunch doing those skips...)  In points based system this pretty much where I end up every stupid time.  So I get to pound my head against a brick wall of >40 point wins trying to out treadmill the losses.  And/or tiny shield hops.  Either method is not fun for me.  

After a season of win based I can't go back.  I'd rather pass on the rewards then put myself through that torture for another season or more....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I pick a slice based on the time I have left to play, I dont play a regular slice.

Im never involved when it opens, so by the time I join I have 3 seed teams and presume there are points in the slice.

I play a few matches and very quickly run out of higher point value matches.

I skip like crazy and end up running through the same handful of opponents none of which are worth it.  If I skip enough an odd battle will pop up, then its very quickly back to business as usual.

This is consistently the experience I had.  I dont know what else to say to you, I simply cannot find matches worth going into to make that sort of climb in that number of matches/amount of time.  Or, even, that sort of climb period.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Obviously I'm not the guy you were talking to (and as noted he rage quit so not getting an answer from him)
    More 'sad resignation' than 'rage quit', to be honest. Im quite calm. It wasnt a firey tempest. It was just a realisation I have no will to do it any more.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    broll said:
    sh81 said:
    MMR, what a beast huh?

Obviously I'm not the guy you were talking to (and as noted he rage quit so not getting an answer from him), but I can speak to this from my experience.  Typically when i get close to 900 I'm in the top 20-50 somewhere.  So there are only 20-50 players above me at all.  Half or more of those are 5* people out of my MMR and probably 75% of those are shielded.  I've done 50-70 skips before and not seen a single 40+ team (and got hit a bunch doing those skips...)  In points based system this pretty much where I end up every stupid time.  So I get to pound my head against a brick wall of >40 point wins trying to out treadmill the losses.  And/or tiny shield hops.  Either method is not fun for me.  

After a season of win based I can't go back.  I'd rather pass on the rewards then put myself through that torture for another season or more....

You're not limited to fighting people in your bracket (or SCL for that matter).

The only limiting factor to who you can queue is time slice, MMR and whether someone is shielded or not.

• broll
    Options
    Starfury said:
    broll said:
    sh81 said:
    MMR, what a beast huh?

The only limiting factor to who you can queue is time slice, MMR and whether someone is shielded or not.

Good call.  Still doesn't explain why 40+ teams are so hard to get.  Either way hopefully there's a compromise system next season that allows for the best of both worlds.
  • broll
    Options
    sh81 said:
    Obviously I'm not the guy you were talking to (and as noted he rage quit so not getting an answer from him)
    More 'sad resignation' than 'rage quit', to be honest. Im quite calm. It wasnt a firey tempest. It was just a realisation I have no will to do it any more.
    Uninstalling is sad resignation.  Pouring gasoline over your hard earned roster and lighting a match is a rage quit.  I wasn't talking about your actual temperament, but the fact that you pulled the rip cord so hard there's no way you're coming back.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    broll said:
    sh81 said:
    Uninstalling is sad resignation.  Pouring gasoline over your hard earned roster and lighting a match is a rage quit.  I wasn't talking about your actual temperament, but the fact that you pulled the rip cord so hard there's no way you're coming back.
    I dont think thats rage quit.  Rage indicates far more passion than Im feeling.

I pulled the cord that hard to make sure I couldnt come back, because I know there is such a habit around this game it would be very easy to get sucked back in.  I dont want that.

Its like quitting smoking.  I tried cutting back many times, and failed.  It wasnt until I quit cold turkey that it stuck.
  • Tiggida
    Tiggida Posts: 64 Match Maker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    There are dead spots in the day where not many people are playing and points are hard to find. Wait an hour or so and higher point targets will be there again. If you skip a bunch and are only seeing a loop of low point targets, it's either time to shield and wait to try to q up some targets, or float and accept that you'll lose pts because chances are your the highest point target that is out. 
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    broll said:
     I've done 50-70 skips before and not seen a single 40+ team (and got hit a bunch doing those skips...)  In points based system this pretty much where I end up every stupid time.  So I get to pound my head against a brick wall of >40 point wins trying to out treadmill the losses.  And/or tiny shield hops.  Either method is not fun for me.  

This still happens to the best of us, and honestly this didn't change for me when they went to wins-based. Since I was still trying to score a specific number of points for placement purposes, there would inevitably be a point I got to where I would only see the same 3-6 people, for the same amount of points that aren't worth it. Or "q hell", as it's called. This was broken before they switched to wins-based, and still is. As Starfury pointed out, you're in the MMR range of everyone in that slice, not just your bracket, but as you score more points it's still possible for you to be the highest-point unshielded target in that slice. So you can't find anyone, but all kinds of people are lining you up for dinner. 

That was a really big benefit I gave up when I decided not to go back to a shield check room, because you would know precisely when a high-point target would be hopping, and it would save you the iso of skipping god knows how many times. I worked around this by just giving it time in between checking for targets. Say I just threw up a 3-hour shield, I'll check for targets an hour later.  Or 2 hours later, or 15 minutes before I hop again, etc. But this contributes more to the feeling of playing on a strict schedule, or spending copious amounts of HP for shielding, so I get it. Problem is, shield-hopping makes them money, so they're hard-pressed to implement a system long-term that allows you to avoid it entirely if you wish. 
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Tiggida said:
    There are dead spots in the day where not many people are playing and points are hard to find. Wait an hour or so and higher point targets will be there again. If you skip a bunch and are only seeing a loop of low point targets, it's either time to shield and wait to try to q up some targets, or float and accept that you'll lose pts because chances are your the highest point target that is out. 
    This, by the way, is a perfect example of a huge flaw in PvP that win-base at least smoothed over. The wild inconsistency bewteen player experiences. Sorry, you’re playing PvP in the wrong slice, your experience sucks. Sorry, you’re playing PvP in the wrong hour, your experience sucks.

At least with win-based, everyone had the same mildly sucky experience. You needed to beat 40 teams. There were always teams to beat, from the moment the event opened, no matter what slice you were in, no matter what time of day you happened to be able to play. 

• Tiggida
    Tiggida Posts: 64 Match Maker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Tiggida said:
    This, by the way, is a perfect example of a huge flaw in PvP that win-base at least smoothed over. The wild inconsistency bewteen player experiences. Sorry, you’re playing PvP in the wrong slice, your experience sucks. Sorry, you’re playing PvP in the wrong hour, your experience sucks.

At least with win-based, everyone had the same mildly sucky experience. You needed to beat 40 teams. There were always teams to beat, from the moment the event opened, no matter what slice you were in, no matter what time of day you happened to be able to play. 

If nobody worth pts is unshielded or playing what can they do? Create fake AI targets worth points? That is the only solution. It's a huge flaw in mmr, and really has nothing to do with win based vs point based. My experience as a 5* player in both systems in terms of who I could q and when was virtually identical under both systems. The challenge the devs have is finding a balance in mmr where they don't open it up too much to the point where people can hit big points that are way below their weight class. Opening it up too much will make it even worse for the people who are already having trouble and getting smacked back down before they hit 900. Finding the balance in mmr has been the problem with pvp as long as I can remember IMO. 
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    broll said:
    Starfury said:
    broll said:
    sh81 said:
    MMR, what a beast huh?

Good call.  Still doesn't explain why 40+ teams are so hard to get.  Either way hopefully there's a compromise system next season that allows for the best of both worlds.
    In the end there's still not too many unshielded 4* rosters above 900.
    For me it was usually 30 point matches from 850 to above 900
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Tiggida said:
    Tiggida said:

If nobody worth pts is unshielded or playing what can they do? Create fake AI targets worth points? That is the only solution. It's a huge flaw in mmr, and really has nothing to do with win based vs point based. My experience as a 5* player in both systems in terms of who I could q and when was virtually identical under both systems. The challenge the devs have is finding a balance in mmr where they don't open it up too much to the point where people can hit big points that are way below their weight class. Opening it up too much will make it even worse for the people who are already having trouble and getting smacked back down before they hit 900. Finding the balance in mmr has been the problem with pvp as long as I can remember IMO. 
    It has something to do with win-based vs. points-based because how many points your opponent is worth doesn’t matter in win-based progression. That’s why I sad “smooths over” and not “solves”. 40 10 point wins and 40 60 point wins count the same, so it doesn’t matter who you queue up as long as you can beat them.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wonko33 said:
    I think researchers should use this thread to make advancements in understanding Stockholm syndrome . 
    Exactly!! It's simple, as you develop your roster you get higher point targets and can reach higher progression rewards (900 points) without doing a 40 match death march to a single 4*.

Some have that Stockholm syndrome like you say to wins based PvP.
    When I had 0 champed 5-stars, I could climb to 575 in one go, using a few health packs and rarely getting hit.

I miss this! Last event my float point was around 280-320. I went up to around 400 three times and got smacked back each time. Every time it was dual champion 5*s. I guess my Starlord/sub 400 boosted 4* were too intimidating for the other single 5* champion people! On the 4th try I had enough time to climb past 400 so I just climbed from 281 up to 700 (roughly) with about 4 1/2 hours left in the event, out of health packs, and shielded up and called it an event. It appears if I stop for anything on the way to 575 I'd better throw up a shield. Also, I'll probably have to stop because I'll be out of health packs before then. I think I'll try a different slice for the Hulk event and see if anything changes.

Not a bad experience, per se, just remembering how easy the 4* game had started to become and how different it is now. 
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wonderful vaulting kills me for 3 months but enjoyable pvp was removed in a week. Thanks.
  • Uber303
    Uber303 Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    As a player who's just transitioned into 4* land, the win based system was working for me, I actually had something to work towards in pvp other than the season rewards and 10cp each sub.

now all I have to get excited about is being smashed as soon as I breach 600 points with a slower roster progression

Sorry, not keen on it

• GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I’m looking forward to the next iteration of win-based PVP.