End of WIN Season Follow up, how did you enjoy the WIN system?

Comments

• mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    No I disliked the win based system and played the same or less
    I have to qualify my vote because I actually played WAY MORE sim than I usually would. Normally I join in the last weekend, and more often than not, I don't even bother to make it all the way to 2000. This time, I had a 2/5/5 Rogue with 4 expiring covers and I could never draw the final green, so I put in 72+ matches into sim to get that last green Rogue cover. I hit 2000 at 32 or 34 wins (I forget which one exactly) and then just had to grind it out trading hits with friends, etc. So - I played way more sim than usual, but way less "normal" PvP than usual. 

Now I would say the bigger part of this change affecting me is the move of CP to placement. Because of this, I tended to join in the last 5 hours or so (of s5), climb to 900-1k, and shield out. This tended to take maybe around 20-22 matches depending on how many hits I might take. I skipped one event entirely, and I did push for 40 wins twice. Once for Nightcrawler at the very beginning, and once more for someone else I can't even remember (rulk maybe?). Those events were terrible. I tried to join early and climb with 4* to hopefully be a juicier target, but I still wouldn't take many hits, so I felt like I had to search harder for matches than I really wanted to. Also as someone else mentioned, gambatt was the only thing making these huge match numbers even remotely bearable, which to me says something is wrong.

As for my numbers, I finished around 11800 points, was 58th in season (CL8 I think), and did probably around 350 matches when all was said and done, since I ended up doing 100+ in Sim (I was just hitting retals for 3-4 days after reaching 72). 
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    I tried, I gave it a chance, I ended up playing until I got Rogue and the 10-pack.  I actually like the win system for the simulator, but for the 3 day event it was horrible.  Way to much time required to get to the 10 cp reward (16 wins) and the scaling is so messed up it was not worth trying in most of the events anyway.  I did not do any pvp with 10 days left in season, nothing but pve.  I am planning on only doing pve and simulator next season unless they lower the win requirements.  I could always knock out the 575 point in about an hour now it is 2+, I would rather spend my time in pve.  Still not opposed to the idea but it needs a lot of work.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just don't have the time to do 40+ matches that are 5 minutes each and use up a few healthpacks. I switched to a more casual alliance because I don't have the time to get a decent score more than a few times per season.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I tried to go with the wins based system at the CL I should be in CL8 and found out that I could not get 40 wins and top 10 placement.  Things like work and family, and little things like life would just get in the way.  I consistently scored over 1500 points each PVP but it was sporadic if I got top 10 based on the players in my bracket.  I ended up to start later and fen went down to CL5 to get top 10 eventually but still scored over 150 points all events but 1.  I would typically play around 32 matches.  I did not grind sim and did under 15 matches because the grind was not worth the reward as I was over 800 points in sim when it ended.  I did get the 15 CP from max progression for the season at the end of the 9th PVP and scored a total of 17K plus points so it took me 2X as long to get max progression for the season.  Win based has potential to be ok but the goal poles are just way to far away for me.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Indifferent to the win based system and played the same or less
    I greatly appreciated never losing progress. I only played to 40 wins once or twice because I needed the cover, but I'd never play to 40 just for a champ level — it's just way too tedious. The season progression rewards also need to be improved. After you get your 10-pack, they fall off quickly and become sparse, which took a lot of the motivation away during the second half of the season.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    For a while, it was fine. But between the week-long Sakaar lightning rounds, PvE, and PvP, by the time the IF PvP came around, I was spent. Just couldn't be bothered to hit 40 wins again.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    I Quit PVP due to the win based system
    22500 pts, 35th in CL8 with 5-600 wins.

I got t10 in 9/10 events but between the need to grind 40 wins per event, having to fight tooth and nail for the 15cp and spending half a season skipping teams with a boosted 5* (and the second half mostly skipping teams with said 5*) I have never felt so burnt out and fed up with a game that at its core can still be very enjoyable.

I voted quitting PvP, but having chatted with alliance mates may play to 16 wins to get the 10cp per event.  So that puts me (day 1153 with 10 champed 5*s) in the same position lots of 3-4* transitioners were a season ago.  Bravo.

• AtlasAxe
    AtlasAxe Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    At first I played to give it an honest try. Then I mostly played as a commitment to my alliance. At the end I started doing the seed thing: set an alarm and start at event start, and play minimal teams against seed teams for retals.

Next season I'm playing PVE. PVP is 16 and out unless I'm desperate for a cover, and with only 6 4* not champed, I don't expect to be desperate very often.

Listen to @aesthetocyst and implement his reward system.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't see an option for "liked the system but the implementation needs work."
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I chose to play for position rather than progression. I started by joining early and sandbagging in CL5, then scoring went mental, pushing me out of top 10, so started bracket sniping higher up. Sometimes it worked, others it was a disaster and I didn't even manage to get the 10 cp. I never even tried for the Rogue cover in Sim - just couldn't face it.

All in all I lost out on around 100-115 Cp, 11 x 4* covers, 9 x 3* covers, a bunch of HP and around 14 event tokens compared to the previous 2 seasons.

But i did post a similar score (12668 from around 266 fights) to previous seasons, which was good for alliance score, and the last 2 events were really fun climbs with Thanos/Daredevil, so the season wasn't a total wash.
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    I Quit PVP due to the win based system
    I played the first 6 events to 40 wins and then barely played the 7th event. Didn't even bother going to the pvp tab after that. It's taken all fun out of PVP. I'll keep playing PVE but I think I'm completely done with PVP.
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    No i disliked the win based system but played more
    You left out the option of:
    I didn't like win based then I got Gambatt and wins came a lot faster. 
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 439 Mover and Shaker
    Yes i liked the win based system and played more
    I play magnitudes more, since my prior PvP participation level was effectively zero - can't resist those 10 CP's when got some time to fill.  :)
  • RedLion
    RedLion Posts: 70 Match Maker
    No i disliked the win based system but played more
    I can't say for sure if I played slightly more or about the same, but since I hit the 40 win total once, and I climbed the 74 win total for the Rogue cover in Sim, I lean toward more. (Previously I was a 575 and out kind of PVP player in most, but not all events.)

But...now that the season is over...I can say for certain that 40 wins is significantly over what I'm willing to play for all but a small number of covers, and 74 wins? Ridiculous. 

Still, I like win-based in theory, and I'm happy that it exists because I'm confident that the devs are more likely to fix it, rather than leave it the same, or send it back to the way it was. 
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    It started off ok but I just found it increasingly difficult to push through the wins. By the last few events of the season I was so ground down by the system that I stopped even getting the 10CP at 16 wins. 

I’m not done yet but this feels like the deathknell for versus. At least it is for me. I’m not usually prone to hyperbole so maybe this is the beginning of the end after three and a half years. 
  • matthatter
    matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Yes i liked the win based system and played more
    I enjoyed it a lot. I was able to nab top progression in more than a few events. What I really liked about it was opening my app, seeing the pop up telling me i lost 10,000 points and not caring, because, hey, I got the 4* already. It never impacted me to play for placement, because I'm not that hardcore. Placing in top 50 was a treat but 100 was where i would normally land. and bottom in overall. so, yeah. I liked it.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    At first I liked the idea but its too much. I could get to 575 in an hour or less. Now? Pfft.