End of WIN Season Follow up, how did you enjoy the WIN system?

The rockett
The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Now that we have a full WIN system of PVP over with, wondering how everybody liked it.  I am also curious of how many total wins, season rank and final score.  I am also curious what this will do in the future for your PVP play.  You can add any other comments as well.

End of WIN Season Follow up, how did you enjoy the WIN system? 395 votes

Yes i liked the win based system and played more
16%
brisashiTheVultureakboyceWonko33SandmakerCNashSilverTalonTaganovCarnage_78ExoOneveneretiojreddmatthatterKrossMelTheFruitFlysmkspyPollozzammenellArcanaMoonNovaFalcon 67 votes
Yes I liked the win based system and played the same or less
6%
AdamMagusGuntherBlobelPhaserhawkZeiramMRrixmithBlindman13SteellatchNick441234EdgemanMikeG72DeadsiderMrCroaker64GreenMachineJohnnyBloodvenyadamdivineevariste_tacobrollJabrony_Geofffanghoul 27 votes
Indifferent to the win based system and played more
3%
Infraredbabinrosirwookieechrisalaethreapermort[Deleted User]Black Dukenwahs086TarjanVKDarthDeVorobertbahjameshWhite_Deth 13 votes
Indifferent to the win based system and played the same or less
5%
DormammuCoppsCubRobHotnfreshDeNappaStevO-JZootSaxArctic_OneLukoilSpudgutterLLohmBlackBoltRocksCrowlD4Ni13Kevmcg[Deleted User]Philly484Amsha3garJaedenkaalmega ghost 23 votes
No i disliked the win based system but played more
14%
EddiemonBeast1970GigerHRfarlusMaceo511BowgentleBearVengeratomzedSnowcaTTGrumpySmurf1002AngjoMagicgrunth13symphonix81johnnyzerofrachrswordfishdatajcarrey4gravelTimGunn 59 votes
No I disliked the win based system and played the same or less
44%
DayvShuinoSpoitkilgarinThanosPorkBellyStarfuryKolenceYasuruWilsonFiskzonatahuntsinnerjflTredoColognoisseurfirethorneHadronicmohioLegallyUndeadRemoDestroyeragarber 177 votes
I Quit PVP due to the win based system
6%
slaxer723Chrono_TataSangFroidabmorazAngryGermanLystrataxidragonxiVhailorxtanis3303meekersXroberts_2MegdarpheregasLuis JaénDee RitchQubortTeam_WadeBruinsfan17proko5CharlieCroker 25 votes
I Quit the game tottally due to the win based system
1%
IamTheBiggs--cfi--tdglory49Bertibrecht 4 votes

Comments

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards

As I have said many times, the removal of the CP's from progression was a mistake for player progression.  More and more 5* rosters are moving to SL5 or 6.  This is not what this was to do but is the response of some of the player base.  For me, this is how the season ended.

2nd place overall in SL8

37438 score

947 wins

• Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Indifferent to the win based system and played the same or less
    All events i played only 16 wins for CP. And dont spend HP on shields beacuse i don't care for placement. Overall pvp was as boring as before for me,
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    I'm about 80-100 CP and 20-30 tokens better off than before the change. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    Copied from another thread because lazy

Season score of 6848.  Rank 581 of 5000.

Made full progression in every event.  So made season progression a few events ago.

Never done either before.

No idea how many wins.  Stopped every event at 40 (except the last), simulator at 72.

The last event I played a few extra nodes and shielded because I was top 50 and wanted the Cap covers.  Otherwise I havent shielded all season.

I am playing a little more, I would say - but only a handful of matches per event.  That being said, my experience is much much more enjoyable so I dont mind the extra at all.

Especially as Ive dialled back PVE, so on balance am actually playing less.

Like @NotBAMF and a few others, I seem to be getting rewards at lower point thresholds, e.g 10cp in the 400's.

I would prefer fewer games for prog.  Or, if they are to keep 40 matches, reintroduce cp at max progression and reshuffle the current rewards.

I would like it to be better for higher rosters, seems to be a threshold whereby it goes from fun to hell.  Thats just not fair.  Open up MMR some more and maybe things will be better for everyone?

I think more than anything though Im just having fun.  Just playing.  And I like it.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    From an enjoyment perspective, it felt like a slog.  But on the other hand I got better prizes than I usually would so I'm a bit conflicted.

The removal of the CP as top placement reward didn't really bother me much: 1200 points is still out of reach for me, as is top 10 placement.  So it was basically replacing one unachievable reward with another.

I guess the best measure was when a tournament was offering an unusable 4* cover to me (e.g. the blue Professor X, when my version has 5 blue but is nowhere near 13 covers).  I had no motivation to go beyond the 16 wins for the CP in that case.  I ended up with similar season placement as before (top 250).

If they were going to redesign the system again, this is what I think might be a good compromise:
    1. keep track of two totals during the tournament: points won and points lost
    2. include defensive wins and losses in these totals
    3. use the "points won" total to handle progression rewards (maybe with the same milestones as before?)
    4. use "points won - points loss" to determine score for placement and points offered for matches
    This would keep the new "always moving forward for progression" feature, while adding an incentive to pick high point matches.  I think adding defensive wins/losses back into the equation should be safe from exploitation since points for defensive wins are already scaled down.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    I still like the idea, in theory, but it needs an overall. Hell, it needed an overall after the first time they ran it, but they did absolutely nothing to improve the format.

I place #238 in SCL8 with 250+ wins and a score of 9453. So rank wise, it's about the same I normally do, but point wise is much higher than normal.

They need to lower the number of wins needed and put back in the CmdPts. I know it's been since the first run, but it will bear repeating until they change it. Comparing my score to progression was all over the place. If I got full seed teams then it generally fell in range of with the standard progression. But if I missed the seed teams I'd be 600 points, but 9-10 wins. Shield Simulator was stupidly out of wack. I hit 2000 points and wasn't even half way to 74 wins.

Some of this could be relieved if they opened up MMR. SS after the half way point was nothing but Medusa, Grocket, and Gamora. That team isn't unbeatable, but it's a slog. Give me some easier targets and give 5* players my team to crush.

They also really need to do something about defensive wins. I know why they don't. It's super exploitable, but I was running a scumbag Gambat team and racking up defensive wins. They only gave me like 1-10 points, but did nothing for wins. It's ****. Change the system to allow something there. Make it so only a certain number of defensive wins count or remove players names from team to make it harder to find your alliance mate.

It almost has me wondering if this wasn't some New Coke type experiment to roll out something broken to make me want PvP Classic and realize just how well I could have been doing in PvP if I just hit everybody I could.
  • WilsonFisk
    WilsonFisk Posts: 365 Mover and Shaker
    I only hit 40 wins once all season, and that was the first event after champing Gambit, so basically was just trying out my new toy. I went CL5 every event for the easy CP. Kept playing less as the season progressed, more work for less rewards isn't good motivation. 
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    For me, the problem is not the win system but the cp rewards for top10 only. 
  • Cwilk78
    Cwilk78 Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    I only did one event for the 40 matches. The rest of the season I dropped to a lower CL and played for the command points.  

I ended the season with a little over 14k points and and played less than 400 matches and ranked my lowest in almost a year.

Please go back to the old system ASAP!!
  • Talestummy
    Talestummy Posts: 66 Match Maker
    I played a lot more pvp but the big problem is the 15 cp only for t10. I hit 40 every event and only missed t10 once.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    The only way to win is not play, because I don't like how the system makes the game feel like work. I get plenty of work at work.

I do not care to hit 40 wins. I do not care to tank to lower cls. I do not care to win. Therefore I do not care to play. 

Ranked 67 in cl8 season with 15657. Hit 40 wins 2x. Hit 74 in sim. Went to 24/28 most other pvps. Didn't pay attention to pvp rank. 
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Under the old system, my strategy was to get hit as little as possible. This season I did the opposite. Beat the seed teams early in the event using my lower tier characters, to encourage others to hit me. From then on, I would try to only use characters that were good enough to win the retaliation, but not overpoweringly. Quite often, there would be a good hearted series of retal exchanges with the same set of opponents. It's very possible to get to 40 wins with just retaliations in this way. I only bothered to do so a few times though.

I received about the same rewards as the previous season, but had to play way more matches. I enjoyed using my lower tier characters again and liked being able to mess around and still get the progression rewards.

However, I absolutely would not bother with slogging through 40 wins against 5* MMR. If I had to play "as intended", I would have greatly cut down on PvP.

Personally I was too lazy to get the 15CP progression before, but in principle I still think removing it was a bad idea.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,111 Chairperson of the Boards

It was all over the place for me. I will pre-face this by saying that I expected not to have time for 40 wins per event but would give it a try. I play s2 normally.

Observations:

1.)    40 wins was definitely too much of a time commitment for me every PvP, only managed it once (41 wins). The rest there was none over 30.

2.)    On the face of it, 74 wins for Sim seemed doable over the time available but I ran into the same wall of Grocket/Gamora/Medusa etc and so it doesn’t really feel anything has changed.

3.)    The predicted onslaught of constant hits by higher players didn’t materialise in my experience, in fact I only got hit by one super high level Gambit player and was only hit once, not spammed over and over.

4.)    I managed a 7th place finish in first PvP in SCL6 where there was maybe 2 high end 5* players occupying slots. Obviously, I was hoping this trend would continue with players moving up to SCL7 to have a shot at the progression cover. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case as the Season progressed.

5.)    I finished 17th in Fist Bump, the Top Ten was made up mostly of 5* players but only 5 of them scored above 1200 points. So, for some players, getting the CP has actually become easier it would seem. 5* players are moving down though and possibly even some high end 4* too.

6.)    I was also surprised to be able to stay out in Fist Bump in last 30 minutes and not get destroyed by constant hits.

• Rokachu
    Rokachu Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    First time in years i didnt complete the season rewards. I tried for an event or 2 but i burned out fast. I ended up letting my VIP expire. 
  • roberts_2
    roberts_2 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    That was my worst season in years. Not weeks o months, years. Brocken MMR and too many fights make me left usually on 16w/10cp without shielding.
  • zahria
    zahria Posts: 14 Just Dropped In

2nd place overall in SL7

36910 score

Not sure the # of wins as I wasn't tracking this bit did make over 40 on each event plus the 67 wins in SIM

I pushed harder & longer this season than I ever had in the past. A lot of times I had to keep pushing before my 1st # just to make the 40 wins. Although I finished T5 in all events except one, I had to push very hard to keep T5. The brackets are tighter than ever. I think that adding SCL 9 will help to alleviate some of this pressure so I hope it happens soon.

I've seen time & time again where we're having to fight longer for the wins to get progression since the MMR makes it difficult to find teams to hit. And when you do find teams, it's a huge drain on health packs. More reason for us to spend HP is I'm guessing D3's goal?

I agree with others that 40 wins is too much. Maybe drop it down to 30? And SIM is also way too high. Perhaps 50 would be better?  I took it easy this last event because the burn out is real. I'll also take it easy during the off season to recoup so I can go back to pushing hard again. 

I understand why so many people are quitting either MPQ or at least PvP. D3 needs to look at how to better engage those higher players who've been here forever. Otherwise it's going to be a bunch of new players & the money flow will dry up some. 

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got exactly 1 win for the season.  Easiest two heroics I ever earned.