3* GamBat (0/0/5) build - Is this good for the game?

123457»

Comments

• RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    Undecided - Greatness at the cost of only 4742 health on a 3*....I could go either way.
    Thank goodness for 0/0/5 Gambit. At least that adds a little variety in Balance of Power. Otherwise there would be even more (or almost all) teams of Gamora/Rocket &Groot/Medusa.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    Honestly I dont have an issue.  It happens that a character comes along and sets the cat among the pigeons every now and then.

I welcome it.

It changes the way people think about and approach what is a very repetitive game, I think thats not a bad thing.

Sooner or later counter measures will be found, or another new release will counter... 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank goodness for 0/0/5 Gambit. At least that adds a little variety in Balance of Power. Otherwise there would be even more (or almost all) teams of Gamora/Rocket &Groot/Medusa.

Yeah, now it is all Gambat/Spider-Gwen/[optional] instead. Much better.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Undecided - Greatness at the cost of only 4742 health on a 3*....I could go either way.
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Every team has a counter in BoP, and every team can be beaten easily.

Medusa/Grocket/Gamora can beat any team in a few moves.
    Thing/Gwen/005 Gambit can beat that team rather easily.
    Peggy/Gwen/005 Gambit can beat any 005 Gambit team by slowing them down so you can go first.

I generally switch between those three teams depending on who I'm fighting. 

I'm not going to comment on 005 Gambit as I'm abusing him as well, but remove him from the equation and ALL you would see out there is Medusa/Grocket/Gamora. I actually think this event would be worse without him.
    Can you think of an effective counter though without having to mirror him with your own GamBattery? I think that's the main underlying issue behind why people think he's broken. C4rol, Medusa, and Peggy are also characters where people often mirror them in order to count them, but they can also be stunned to take away their passive and give you an edge. The difference, is that by the time you can stun GamBat, it's probably too late. Same goes for killing him quickly, even if you do it by turn 2 or 3, he's probably given his teammates enough AP to turn the tides. 

Can't say I blame people for exploiting it. His squishiness at 0/0/5 doesn't make him any more or less of a liability on defense than Hood, but Hood takes time and the right board conditions to turn the tide of a battle. Gambattery  needs neither. It will be interesting to see if they tackle this via or nerfing, or introducing new characters/rebalancing old characters to counter it. For example, with Mordo's rebalanced purple, he will one-shot practically anyone that Gambat charges up if you stun them before they can fire the ability. But how often will you actively get the AP to do this before a team that can passively get the same AP? Not sure whether to be excited or scared at how they will address this. 
  • AlexxKats
    AlexxKats Posts: 99 Match Maker
    edited November 2017
    a 0/0/5 gambatt isn't necessarily bad nor good for the game (except BOP that is, where at he is king, and you can just skip him until next BOP where you'll have one of your own i guess, so for 1 event for the duration of your gametime).

But a complete lack of playtesters at demi's side is definitely bad.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    BoyWonder1914 said:

Can you think of an effective counter though without having to mirror him with your own GamBattery?
    Almost all the hits I took in BoP were from gramora teams, unless I left out BSSM; so at least in BoP, those players apparently can.

Leave out BSSM gwenbattery, and you'll take hits from other kinds of gambatteries. Round and round we go. All has a counter, like Sm0key said.

Yeah, most of my hits (and those who wiped) were using Medusa/Gamora/R&G. I use this team to take down Peggy/Gwen/005 Gambit. Pretty much can get Gwen down in 3-4 moves. Yes, she will stun two of you and possibly get one red off, but once she's down the match is very much in your favor. Peggy don't do much and Gambit does nothing at all. Save him for last.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    No - This much AP gain to be used by any team as they please breaks the game balance
    I may have to change my opinion. I just used a non boosted Gambit and Gwen in SCL9's 5* PvE essential, with an underwhelming IM, and basically won a 10 minute perma-stun match. If it's that easy to win a match where everyone on my team is 175+ levels below the competition, and I'm not even using Thing, it's probably OP.

I think I was wrong. The other side is right.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Borstock said:
    I may have to change my opinion. I just used a non boosted Gambit and Gwen in SCL9's 5* PvE essential, with an underwhelming IM, and basically won a 10 minute perma-stun match. If it's that easy to win a match where everyone on my team is 175+ levels below the competition, and I'm not even using Thing, it's probably OP.

The other side could be right just because the idea of 40x 10 minute long fights sounds like cruel and unusual punishment.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    No - This much AP gain to be used by any team as they please breaks the game balance
    Any character that is crazy good at 0,0,5 is bad for the game.  His trade off with the AP generation is it is suppose to block other characters red and purple power.  The fact that there is a Work around to get the AP generation for other more powerful abilities should not be allowed. 
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Borstock said:

Shouldn’t you be happy about the win instead? We have classic winfinite who can beat most boss when it gets going. Their levels aren’t necessarily high either. There are couple options for the weaker roster to win the tough fight using the perfect synergy team. As you said, it took a 10-min to finally finish off that node. That’s a long time for one fight. Well, after they take away this gambattery, there is one more less option to beat the node except whaling it or give up the node.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    robertbah said:
    Borstock said:

Shouldn’t you be happy about the win instead? We have classic winfinite who can beat most boss when it gets going. Their levels aren’t necessarily high either. There are couple options for the weaker roster to win the tough fight using the perfect synergy team. As you said, it took a 10-min to finally finish off that node. That’s a long time for one fight. Well, after they take away this gambattery, there is one more less option to beat the node except whaling it or give up the node.
    No, because my Gambat is weak sauce. I prefer to earn my wins. 
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    No it probably should be addressed sooner than later but until then I will keep using mine.  I prefer calling him Goombit since he acts like a super goon (ie Muscle, Thug, etc at 0/0/5).  
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Has anyone had at look at other colours? Would 0/0/5 be okay if gambit had the first two colours changed? 

Blue - a lot of stuns in this colour too, so maybe avoid
    Green - aoe damage but abilities tend to cost more
    Yellow - safest colour 

Gambit becomes green, yellow, black?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie said:
    Has anyone had at look at other colours? Would 0/0/5 be okay if gambit had the first two colours changed? 

Yellow - safest colour 

Hm... perma-invisibility with IW and/or perma airborne from Riri. 
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie said:

Yellow - safest colour 

IW invisibility could be annoying but at least you stil get your turn and can still use aoe. Riri only airborne a single member though so you could potentially decide who to bench and switch it around. Much better than having the whole team stun locked and eating cherry bombs
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie said:
    Pongie said:

Yellow - safest colour 

IW invisibility could be annoying but at least you stil get your turn and can still use aoe. Riri only airborne a single member though so you could potentially decide who to bench and switch it around. Much better than having the whole team stun locked and eating cherry bombs
    Unless she matches green on her own. Or airbornes your only aoe capable character while remaining permanently invisible ;)

Also, I bet 5* SL would look suddenly pretty appealing with 3 AP per turn for both of his powers.