3* GamBat (0/0/5) build - Is this good for the game?

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    He's the only thing that makes the grind in SSIM bearable right now.
    Only if you have him. I am very happy I got my Rogue cover early so I don't have to beat my way through all the Gambit teams that suddenly showed up in Sim to get her...
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    I think the OPs nerf is exactly what needs to happen.  His active powers are underwhelming on their own, so being a battery for himself balances him as does blocking his teammates and his low health.  Being a battery for others with way better powers and having no restrictions is what makes him wildly unbalanced and broken.

MPQ has nerfed other Winfinite combos because they know it is not good for the health of the game- 2* Mags, 3* Mystique, doesn't matter.  Of Gwen, Miles and Remy, it's obvious Gambit is the one that needs the nerf, and blocking his ally's actives even at 0/0/5 is the best way to do that.  Like I said, without that exploit he's actually a well-balanced 3*.
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Jeez, why would you ask for a nerf that makes getting your win count up easily.  I am actually hunting for black gambits so i don't have to worry about wins and just play pvp the way i want.  It's not like this 5 cover 3* team is going to be able float or climb and steal your top 10 spot, it will pounded out in 2 minutes.  I also like to have options for cl9 5e to save on health packs.  Remember when professor x and his two lovers were wrecking pvp season scores because you could take down any team?  I sure don't, because in sim they would get beat down fast.  Same happens with 005 gambit
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Undecided - Greatness at the cost of only 4742 health on a 3*....I could go either way.
    I'm using one questionable design decision (GamBattery) to address an unquestionably stupid design decision (90 level boost on a self-feeding 5-star).

If that's not fair, I don't know what is.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    No - This much AP gain to be used by any team as they please breaks the game balance
    Not even bothered to make a 0/0/5 just for giggles. I expected it to be nerfed by now to be honest.

The fact the Devs either didn't see this possibility or didn't care, is quite frankly very worrying. As short sightedness always is. It's potentially another OML situation here..

Still, if this is OK. Let's have the +3 boosts back, mmmmk?
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Undecided - Greatness at the cost of only 4742 health on a 3*....I could go either way.
    thisone said:

The fact the Devs either didn't see this possibility or didn't care, is quite frankly very worrying.
    This is what bothers me about it too. Not that people are building him 0/0/5 and using it to power weird team ideas, but that it seems that they didn't think people would do that. That lends credence to the "they don't play/understand their own game" arguments that get thrown around a lot, and it is definitely worrying.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    Gambit sidesteps the need to match colors in order to fire powers, which  is...like, the entire game.
    You could say the same about Medusa+Carnage +Carol/Blade/Rocket.. I don't even care what colors I'm matching, let the special tiles do all the killing, no need to fire powers.
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Thats not even the same thing
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    On a slight tangent, once you've champed a Gambit, is it possible to create a 0/0/5 one without maxing out the first one? I couldn't find a way to 'recruit' a new separate cover rather than adding a champ level.
  • Merrick
    Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Yes - GamBat is fun and opens up new team options.
    He is fun to play with. And can hit way above his weight class. But on defense, gets killed in a single round. So not a problem. 
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Richyyy said:
    On a slight tangent, once you've champed a Gambit, is it possible to create a 0/0/5 one without maxing out the first one? I couldn't find a way to 'recruit' a new separate cover rather than adding a champ level.
    There should be a small, inconspicuous star button to the right of the cover if you have a cover pending for a character you already have rostered. tap that.

That's how it works on Steam anyway ... 
    Ah, so there is (on Android, in my case). Thanks.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    tanis3303 said:
    thisone said:

The fact the Devs either didn't see this possibility or didn't care, is quite frankly very worrying.
    This is what bothers me about it too. Not that people are building him 0/0/5 and using it to power weird team ideas, but that it seems that they didn't think people would do that. That lends credence to the "they don't play/understand their own game" arguments that get thrown around a lot, and it is definitely worrying.
    I asked Brigby if this was intentional or an oversight in the official thread and he stated that it was intentional on the part of the developers, which is the only reason why I think there's a strong possibility he doesn't get nerfed.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I'm generally against these kind of cheese tactics. I never did charlies angels, I try not to rely on IM40 and Vulture too much. I don't think its good for the game, but if its available, you might as well go for it. I don't think I will build a 0/0/5 Gambit, since he'd be the biggest crutch. I think him fully covered makes for more interesting teams since you have to plan around his selfishness. I like him paired with Charge tile users, think he could be useful champed, working as intended
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah he's accelerating other characters, but its a 5 cover 3* for **** sake.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    No - This much AP gain to be used by any team as they please breaks the game balance
    tanis3303 said:
    thisone said:

I asked Brigby if this was intentional or an oversight in the official thread and he stated that it was intentional on the part of the developers, which is the only reason why I think there's a strong possibility he doesn't get nerfed.
    I think what he/they meant was, it was intentional that having no covers in Red or Purple doesn't prevent allies from firing those powers, with the intent that having a developing Gambit isn't actively terrible (running that 3* essential node with a 0/0/1 Gambit and being locked out of Red and Purple, for example).

I would be extremely surprised if the explicit intent of this ability was to encourage a 0/0/5 Gambit to be a viable competitive build.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Based on this summary, I'm going to build one for PvP.

I don't care about taking placement, but if it can get me through 40 wins faster than I can manage with my single champ 5 I'll stoop to conquer.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    tanis3303 said:
    thisone said:

I've got these beans for sale...you'd be amazed at what they do...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    tanis3303 said:
    thisone said:

While this is true, the further explanation was that they thought the lack of levels properly offset the benefits of running an 005.  I think they'll find that isn't the case, and change Gambit accordingly at some point.

Combos like CoulHawk or VultureParker have survived, truly broken combos like old Mystique/2Mag have been fixed.  I expect the same at minimum with the Gwen stunlock party.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    Yes - GamBat is fun and opens up new team options.
    With the exception of pairing him with Phoenix I will pick that team every day especially with a 3 star Gambit.  Now I will admit the one time I went after a fully leveled Phoenix and 3 star Gambit they mopped the floor with me but I attacked whoever the third character first not gambit.  You can take him out in 2 rounds in most cases at 0/5/5 the ap generation is great but not that difficult to get around, there are other combos much more annoying that this one.  Now if I see people doing this with the 5 star version I will revise my statement a little.  The 5stars survivability is enough that the extra rounds he will survive will make the match much more difficult especially when paired with Phoenix but if you have the 5 you should be attacking with Gambit anyway.
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Lol i have 1 5* cover. Its black. Used him with phx first match. Won easily.