3* GamBat (0/0/5) build - Is this good for the game?

Comments

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    No - This much AP gain to be used by any team as they please breaks the game balance
    Pongie said:
    Just faced a gambattery with my 5* gambit in balance of power. Thought I had the team under control (got lucky when Gwen stunned the other two), and had Gwen down to 14k of health. Next turn she one shot my gambit (who had over 70k in health) with her cherry bomb. The other two never came out of being stunned. 0/0/5 3* taking down a championed 550 variant of the same character!
    This is more an effect of 4* powers scaling better than 5s in BoP and cherry bomb's always had been a good nuke, than gambat.

Yeah, the fact that Gambat provides enough AP to fire off both of Gwen's powers every other turn is just a minor detail.

That's why we've seen so many people running Gwens in the previous months and years.

• Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Undecided - Greatness at the cost of only 4742 health on a 3*....I could go either way.
    It may not work in BoP, but in regular PVP where 0/0/5 Gambit has low health, I had success using Surfer against Gambit/Gwen teams.  Stun?  Don’t think so. :)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Undecided - Greatness at the cost of only 4742 health on a 3*....I could go either way.
    From reading the description of his power, the reasoning was that Gambit gets selfish and doesn't want to share with others, so the more logical thing would be for Gambit not to share AP from his black power with his allies, however they can still generate AP from usual other sources. Gambit can still spam but he no longer is creating the opportunity for infinite stunlock with others.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Starfury said:
    Pongie said:
    Just faced a gambattery with my 5* gambit in balance of power. Thought I had the team under control (got lucky when Gwen stunned the other two), and had Gwen down to 14k of health. Next turn she one shot my gambit (who had over 70k in health) with her cherry bomb. The other two never came out of being stunned. 0/0/5 3* taking down a championed 550 variant of the same character!
    This is more an effect of 4* powers scaling better than 5s in BoP and cherry bomb's always had been a good nuke, than gambat.

Yeah, the fact that Gambat provides enough AP to fire off both of Gwen's powers every other turn is just a minor detail.

That's why we've seen so many people running Gwens in the previous months and years.

Of course it only takes like 2 casts of purple to get cherry bomb to it's cheapest cost and gambat really accelerates that, but I read it as you complaining that cherry bomb dropped 70k plus damage. 
    Spidergwens red has always been efficient and strong especially when boosted and it's not specifically, or I guess technically, a case of the 005 taking down its 5* variant.  
    I don't have gambat but I have a 12 cover 5gambit and I'll try that fight too to experience the outrage.
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    No - This much AP gain to be used by any team as they please breaks the game balance
    Balance of Power? More like Imbalance of Gambit amirite?

Joking aside, I was in the "the HP penalty PROBABLY makes him fine" camp but yea, no. Balance of Power changes that. Even if its one event a month I do not want to suffer this level of busted ever again. He needs a change.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    aesthetocyst said:
    Does gambit gen AP on the offense's first turn?
    No, at the start of the match, our Gambit doesn’t produce any APs. That’s why I mentioned the AP boosts. It will be interesting to try some teams. I am seeing a lot of failed attempts..
    Thanks! I wasn't sure. Hell, I'm not sure any passives, of the type that process at start of turn, process on turn 1.

Are there any? 3Fist? Cag3?
    4* R&G and 4* Peggy are the only two I can think of, but neither of those potentially "pulse" at the start of each turn. I don't believe any of those go off on the active players 'first' turn. We do get the first move, though, so there's that. Obviously in this case it's not much consolation.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    They obviously did not intend for us to run him at 0/0/5. The fix is simple: place his restriction on using ally powers in red and purple on his black, that way he can't be used as an overpowered battery. It should be tethered to the AP gain (i.e., it doesn't block both colors at one cover, it only blocks the colors once the power generates AP of that color. This would also mean if you by chance have a Gambit at 5/5/0, he wouldn't block allies from using red or purple.)
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    @Brigby

A lot of people in this thread are under the impression that a 0/0/5 Gambit build exploiting his AP generation is NOT the intention the developers had with this character.  Rather than us speculating, would you be willing to ask them whether or not the under-build is intended and whether or not there are plans to re-balance him given the amount of players using him in such a fashion?

Thank you so much!
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    All they have to do is say Gambit only generates AP for his active power. If Gambit doesn't have purple or Red then he doesn't generate AP. 

Fixed.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Gambatt has figuratively broke Balance of Power, and I own one.  This is a glaring oversight by the developers and should be rectified.  The fix has been mentioned many times already.
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Obviously he is going to break BoP, but anywhere else he's just a fun punching bag.  Does it break game balance outside of one off season event?  PVE, it is way to slow trying to gwambatt essentials, so no you are'nt going to place higher using this.  PvP, you will get your 40 wins but also get knocked around.  It can be boring, but you know whats more boring?  Getting 40 wins off of mostly A teams.  So, why would you want this stress reliever taken out?  I'd rather not have this game feel like a second job and just have fun.
  • Daredevil217
    edited November 2017
    Obviously he is going to break BoP, but anywhere else he's just a fun punching bag.  Does it break game balance outside of one off season event?  PVE, it is way to slow trying to gwambatt essentials, so no you are'nt going to place higher using this.  PvP, you will get your 40 wins but also get knocked around.  It can be boring, but you know whats more boring?  Getting 40 wins off of mostly A teams.  So, why would you want this stress reliever taken out?  I'd rather not have this game feel like a second job and just have fun.
    Once people start 5-covering the 5* and his health pool is so high that he can’t be “knocked around” will that be okay too?

(Oh yeah, I avoid him on boat weeks too)
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    yes, that is just fine if someone wants to 5 black a 5* gambit instead of taking the sweet champ rewards.  He will still be under 20k health and easy to kill.  He will get hit even more since MMR will allow higher level rosters to see it
  • ramoramo86
    ramoramo86 Posts: 89 Match Maker
    you guys are worried about 3* with 5 black, wait till you see 5* gambit at 5
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Yes, Gambit needs a slight change. What he can do with Gwen is just ridiculous. Maybe make it that the passive only works if he has the other colors. Thing+Gwen+Gambit is just stupid in BOP.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    A lot of people in this thread are under the impression that a 0/0/5 Gambit build exploiting his AP generation is NOT the intention the developers had with this character.  Rather than us speculating, would you be willing to ask them whether or not the under-build is intended and whether or not there are plans to re-balance him given the amount of players using him in such a fashion?

Thank you so much!
    I've already passed along the feedback from players, regarding the current strength of Gambit, and the development team is reviewing and evaluating how to address it. I do not have any other communicable information, but once I do, I'll be sure to update everyone.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Yes - GamBat is fun and opens up new team options.
    Rip to gambit guess I won’t worry about leveling him after all
  • Daredevil217
    Brigby said:

Thank you so much!
    I've already passed along the feedback from players, regarding the current strength of Gambit, and the development team is reviewing and evaluating how to address it. I do not have any other communicable information, but once I do, I'll be sure to update everyone.
    Thanks so much Brigby!  I hope you passed along to the developers the strength of the Gambattery specifically. Fully-covered Gambit isn’t broken the way the undercovered one is (at least the 3*... I’m not a 5* player). I think he’s actually well-balanced without the exploit. Thanks again for passing along the info!
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

I don't think he's good for the game, but this is the first time I've ever been on the bleeding edge with the new shiny.  While it lasts I'd be mad not to take advantage of it, I guess.

It's really annoying though that my higher-level Gambit get reselected every match and I have to scroll through a million screens of characters to get to the one I really want.

• CHRISJN
    CHRISJN Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Fffffff.... those who designed this passive collection of AP..  the game basically is 3 match game, so no match but get ap?  Bring the essence and fundamentals,  match and collect ap before u fire a power. DEVELOPERS... play pvp now in BALANCE OF POWER using a 0/0/5 GAMBAT and see how you made the game unbalanced.