Half way mark of the PVP season, how is it going for you?

Comments

• thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    I play the game alot, everyday and I stayed optimistic about the changes.

They aren't that great for me and my 5's team. I have to play almost 3 times as much to get the same rewards of past, and for a progression game...that sucks. So I've finally built up my roster and now I have to play more, can't beat up on people I'm stronger than and really have no advantage over moving up a tier.

This is an inevitability of progressing your roster in the game, and I really don't understand why so many people continue to fail to see that. Yay, you can earn these 4-star covers now that you couldn't before....well naturally you're going to want to cover and champ them. 

You can say, "Well I just won't go into 5-star land". This is absolutely horrendous for the future of the game if a large portion of the player base is scared to enter the end game because they are afraid of difficulty. The point of earning all these resources and chasing these covers is to build your roster, so what sense does that ultimately make for you to gate yourself off from the highest level of play? Now that PVE no longer punishes you for improving your roster, game difficulty should no longer be a valid excuse. 

MAYBE, it's because you come to the realization that you won't be feeling so great about this system anymore once you're eventually in the same boat, having to fight through 5-star team after 5-star team, for 1 win a piece. You can say all you want about your new play style now, and how much "easier" it is, how you get to use more teams and less healthpacks, etc, but all roster improvement has the same final destination regardless of how much you try to stall yourself to get there. I'm certainly guilty myself of trying to delay entering 5* land by champing all of my 4-stars first. However I started 2017 with 0 4-star champs, and now will have 41 with Rogue in the next week. Will probably finish the year knocking on the door of 50. I will probably be caught up and ahead of the release schedule before Summer 2018, and will then have nowhere to go but up. Even though I don't relate to 5-star concerns now, I know I will eventually be in their shoes, so they can't be treated as some far-off eventuality that doesn't affect you. 
    The fact that you started in 2017 and have 41 champs blows my mind. I still don't have all my 4's champed and I've been playing since a couple months after the game launched. 

Infact only finally got my 1st 5 star champ this year, granted I went from zero 5's to 5 since the start of this year.

I didn't really stall myself, but there was REALLY no point in maxing out a 5 star before the pvp changes, i had been around long enough to hear the woes of 5 star players in pvp with one 5 star maxed that went from enjoying pvp to hating it because they really couldn't compete anymore once bumped up a bracket.

And while its not that bad for me, I can understand it. 
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    I quit PVP due to these changes and might come back if they change
    Wow. Bored at work and caught up on this.

As someone who has been very vocal about his opinions on the change, I think it important to note that we are a community here.  Just like in the USA, there are polarizing ideas of what this country should represent.  Each side is completely entitled to their opinions, but we are still parts of the whole.

It could be speculated that the previous system was better for the vets and harder on the rest.  The devs, in their desire to be more inclusive, let that particular pendulum swing the other way.

But to go back to that first metaphor, we need to reach across the aisles and work together.  There is enough divisiveness in the world.

Lets find the common ground and agree on a way forward and help guide the devs that way.

How does it sound if:

A) Progression CP is returned
    B ) Total wins necessary are reduced
    C) MMR is opened up (sure, lower tiered people are worth almost nothing, but that is for the wins portion.  Playing similar MMR teams is for points placement).
    D) More prizes along the way as well (lets be honest, every token is like a scratch off lottery ticket to me and I love to scratch).  More prizes equals more engagement cuz who doesn't like prizes?
    E) Develop a reason to spend HP.  

I don't know what E) is yet.  Is it boosts that are specific to the required character just for that PVP?  Is it the ability to unlock star levels of different characters (Like these LRs where you can use any 2/3/4/5 Star version of Thor)?

If someone has a different opinion, awesome!  I'd love to hear it, but this vitriol is getting tiring and serves no purpose but to rile ourselves up further.

/Gets off soapbox.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    Sounds good to me.

If MMR was opened up, would that now allow those who loved chasing placement under the old way essentially carry on?  Therefore lots of shield hoping etc?
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    No I hate the changes, but playing the same PVP
    @sh81 no it wouldn't and here is why. If I am 1200 and you are too, you are 33 points for me.  So that wouldn't do anything.  If I am 1500 and you are 800 you would be about 5-9 I think.  So there are 2 things here.  Points and wins.  Opening up MMR won't add a ton of points overall but it will get us to the 40 win mark quicker. Hope that makes sense. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Im assuming there will be plenty of others going for placement as well.

As well as, I would imagine, timing being a factor - I know how much you old school PVPers like that ;O)

In my experience under the new way I run into tougher and tougher matches at the end of my initial climb, some with plenty of good points on offer.  

I wonder if a little adaptation could see you play much like old?
  • The rockett
    So Falcon PVP, let me give you an example of the teams I see.  Here is what I am running. 

Max champed Falcon on all
    471 Thanos, 467 BP
    460 Gambit, 454 BB
    460 Gambit, 455 HE
    460 Gambit, 462 Dr S 

Here are the teams I Qd from the start, no seeds 
    460-490 Thanos, 460-490 BP
    450-490 Gambit, 450-490 BB
    490 Thanos, God Level Thor 5* 
    470 PP, 460 DD

For my 40 wins took me, well I forget how long, but it did take me 30 health packs or so.  Had to buy 4 times.  

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    No I hate the changes, and playing less PVP
    You had to buy health packs? Then working as intended!
  • The rockett
    Always do.  Never pve. Pvp yes. 
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    So Falcon PVP, let me give you an example of the teams I see.  Here is what I am running. 

471 Thanos, 467 BP
    460 Gambit, 454 BB
    460 Gambit, 455 HE
    460 Gambit, 462 Dr S 

470 PP, 460 DD

For my 40 wins took me, well I forget how long, but it did take me 30 health packs or so.  Had to buy 4 times.  

This is ridiculous. All the posts complaining about seeing 4* Rocket n Groot/ 4* Gamora teams are basically fighting seed teams compared to the opponents above. I see now why folks hoard Taco tokens specifically for the health pack pulls. 
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    No I hate the changes, but playing more PVP

471 Thanos, 467 BP
    460 Gambit, 454 BB
    460 Gambit, 455 HE
    460 Gambit, 462 Dr S 

470 PP, 460 DD

This is ridiculous. All the posts complaining about seeing 4* Rocket n Groot/ 4* Gamora teams are basically fighting seed teams compared to the opponents above. I see now why folks hoard Taco tokens specifically for the health pack pulls. 
    I've got 600+ tokens in both taco vaults for health packs.  

Killing a 540 Thor wasn't so bad but it takes forever to do 100k damage.

In regards to my previous post several page a back, I stand by my statement that if you can't hit 1200 in PvP you need to learn how to play the game.  To do that you need to communicate with vets which means you need to use LINE.  I've seen a lot of 2/3* rosters reach end game by learning how to earn PvP rewards.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Indfferent to the changes, and playing the same or less PVP
    awarnica said:

Just adding explanation to my vote.

I play enough pvp (cl8, top 5) to where 40 wins isn't an issue for me. I do have lots of alliance mates who just played 'the last 3 hours' and would often finish top 5/10 and get the same rewards (less iso for winning matches), but spend less hp. Or, they would not catch a bracket flip and finish to p25. That they often got the same rewards for less time doesn't bother me. This is just something to keep my mind busy when I have down time. If they can be more efficient for the same rewards, all the power to them.

74 wins though in simulator was the worst grind though in this game I've had for a long while. I did 30+ the first Sunday while watching football, and hit 74 a week ago, playing 3-10 matches a day. I'm still at 74, and have no desire to back and play more. I had a wall of 3x5* teams for about 60 of those 74 wins, and it was in no way fun.

I would have interest to see how many 4/5* players hit the 2K in simulator last season, and how many will do so this season. Not because those players are more important but because they closer represent my roster than would a 3* player.

I'm only on page 8 of this discussion (it grew exponentially on me!) but I saw this and wanted to chime in. The typical vet response about PVP is "I only hit high point targets". That is fair, as that is their experience. But many of us unfamiliar with the "unwritten rules" of PVP would rarely see those and hit much lower targets (result: less points + more matches). 

However, Simulator was different (at least for me). I saw tons of 75 point (and other high point values) and they were similar in roster strength to me because the lack of boosted characters. I could clear out Simulator to 2,000 fairly easily. It was actually the PVP I enjoyed the most (less time + same rewards = win!)

I'm not trying for 74 wins. That's too much.

I didn't like the 4* cover at 900 points. I don't like it at 40 wins. 

Which is worse: Not getting the 4* cover because I get pushed back down too quickly at 800+? Or not getting the 4* cover because each PVP, in addition to PVE and DDQ, takes up way too much time?

Eh, both suck. Oh well, its not life, its just a game to pass the time.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes I like the changes, and playing more PVP
    dkffiv said:

In regards to my previous post several page a back, I stand by my statement that if you can't hit 1200 in PvP you need to learn how to play the game.  To do that you need to communicate with vets which means you need to use LINE.  I've seen a lot of 2/3* rosters reach end game by learning how to earn PvP rewards.
    So, so glad that progression is no longer dependent on coordination, insider knowledge and a separate app just to progress in a match-3 game.  A good reminder that this change will very greatly benefit the casuals that were scared off from PVP.

As for the original question, I said this in another thread but I am finding it less grindy as the season goes on which is counter to what I thought my experience would be.  I think I'm going to 40-win Wolverine faster than any other event mainly because Patch is boosted and I've used him and Gambit (unboosted) more this season than any other character.

My team has been Patch, 3Bit, Captain Marvel.

- Usually can get 4 green and AOE damage with enemy green matches.
    - Wolverine casts green
    - Gambit overwrites enemy strikes with Purple.
    - Marvel resolves countdowns with Yellow
    - Strikes are buffed with Marvel's passive.

Team is just shredding folks.  I don't know if I'll end up using any of my boosted 4's this event (and I have a lot this week!) because I'm having so much fun with this pairing.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    I quit PVP due to these changes and might come back if they change
    dkffiv said:

So, so glad that progression is no longer dependent on coordination, insider knowledge and a separate app just to progress in a match-3 game. ...
    False, progression was never *dependent* on those things.

Easier, yes. Allowed less developed rosters to hit 1200, yes.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    No I hate the changes, but playing more PVP
    dkffiv said:

So, so glad that progression is no longer dependent on coordination, insider knowledge and a separate app just to progress in a match-3 game. ...

I hit 1.2k in every PvP for 2-3 seasons flying solo without any communication. (4* roster). Seasons before that I was lazy and hit only 900 for almost a year.
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Indfferent to the changes, and playing more PVP
    I’ve hit 40 wins in all events so far, dgot my sim cover, and for the first time ever got the last progression reward from the season.

previously I normally hit the ~750 range. I started hitting 900 right before the change due to finally having champed boosted 4s.

so from a pure reward point of view, I am raking in way more 4* covers now. But the time commitment will quickly become an issue. Before I would only dedicate max 2 hours per event, joining right at the end for good placement and the 700 progression. Now I’m spending 2+ Hours per day working on wins. I didn’t even bother with sakaar arena this week because it is just too much.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes I like the changes, and playing more PVP

Meh, definately feels like you were implying it here. 

dkffiv said:

I personally think that is a lot of “need to” in order to progress optimally in a time-wasting match-3 game. I know my opinion may not be a popular one amongst the hardcore, but I’m happy for all the people who want to enjoy the game without that level of commitment- that they can still progress and not get beaten to the point of leaving PVP altogether.  
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    With 2 events to go, I've hit 10k for the season, which last season would've been a time for celebration (or at least opening a Latest token).
    This season, given I've reached it on 198 wins, it's just disheartening, as it's been a significant drop off in shiney rewards.
    And those shiney rewards are what keep the pavlovian response going to tap those gems.
    Less shineys = less engagement.

• Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    CT1888 said:

Well that's probably why players like me are more engaged now. 
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    CT1888 said:

Well that's probably why players like me are more engaged now. 

Undoubtedly. It's just unfortunate that they had to gut the enjoyment and engagement of one group to get another group engaged.
  • [Deleted User]
    I like it.  I think it works for me only because I ditched competitive PVE.  If I was still going or placement it could be horrible.

Instead, with Prog on both, Ive made max progression in both PVP and PVE all season, while playing fewer matches over all.

Enemy of the state finishes tonight.  I played optimally the first few nights, made max progression on Tuesday.  That meant I didnt have to play at all last night* which meant I could just sit and play PVP instead.

With PVP Im finding a fair amount of variety in opponents, at least up to 20-something wins, which is refreshing.

Just as, without having to rush or be concerned about loses, Im throwing random teams in, taking chances and generally just playing.

Its a no stress situation, Im having fun.

I do agree 40 wins is high, but Im managing it without feeling any burnout, having dropped a bunch of PVE matches (more repetitive, grindy matches).

I would certainly like the 15cp back in there, without doubt.

But, over all, Im having a much better time with the game.

*I did actually play about 10 PVE matches to scoop up the 3cp on offer