Do you like the new PvP system (progression rewards based on wins instead of points gained)?

Options
veny
veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
edited July 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Hey,
i follow this https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/66486/how-do-you-like-the-pvp-test#latest  thread (btw. thanks Ducky for interrupting me during writing my feedback by locking a thread, which caused a loss of everything i wrote... much appreciated).

For feedback use simple poll, or write a comment (and hope this thread wont be locked for irevelant reason :D ).

My feedback is simple:

I kinda like new PvP - no stress, no vicious cycle of losing points again again. 4*s are finally doable for me (after 3000 hours spent it is a huge achievement). 40 Wins is too much for me (took me 5 hours to get 4* cover) but if it stays that way, i wont be complaining.

PS: Sorry for doublepost... design of this forum is a pain :/

Do you like the new PvP system (progression rewards based on wins instead of points gained)? 269 votes

Yes
58% 157 votes
No
41% 112 votes

Comments

• A_Wise_Man
    A_Wise_Man Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This new system is great!  What a good idea.  Means anyone can progress their roster, at least through 4*, and means real competition in pvp now instead of just people hitting cupcakes 12,000 times a day.  Plus theres a ton more iso to be had on the way to progression.  Make this permanent now 
  • Kjeldbjerg
    Kjeldbjerg Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Love it. Play when I want, and hit others based on rosters, not points. Used a team with two 3* for the first time in maybe a year
  • Stick
    Stick Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I love it. Hit 40 wins no prob. Implement it now please.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In general yes. It's a huge improvement for like 90% of the games members or more. 

<shameless plug>
    i have some suggestions on tweaks that would help this and help one of the major problems with SCLs (no 9/10 and not enough difference between levels)
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/66504/suggested-changes-to-pvp-rewards-based-on-first-win-based-progression-test#latest
    </shameless plug>
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,602 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

No.  It's a perception thing.  Seeing that I still have 32 wins to go before the 4* is much more disheartening than needing "only" another 600 points.

I found myself not bothering with the event after the seed teams and a few more matches.  No enthusiasm for it at all.

:edit: Musing a little more, for PvE I end up grinding at least 9 nodes 6 or 7 times, every single day, 48 hour subs excepted.  Grinding another 40 matches over 3 days shouldn't be that big a deal.  But somehow it is.

Look at the short term. 32 matches to the 4* doesn't sound great. But 4 matches to the next reward is very easy to manage. And since you don't have to worry about when you get those wins, you can take little breaks a couple times a day and churn out the next reward easy enough, because it only takes 4 wins to reach another benchmark.
  • Stick
    Stick Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I definitely look for the easiest match instead of the one worth the most points now. If you break it up into sessions, its definitely less tedious. 10 here, 10 there and before you know it, BOOM 40. It's worth noting that while defensive losses don't take away your wins, defensive wins *do* add to them.

I do hope they find a solution for the 5 star cats. Let them have their own turf so us 4 star cats can have more fun with it.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    No vote due to 15cp being a placement reward. 

The event isn't bad overall. Broke the mmr a few times and clubbed seals for 30 wins or so. Not getting hit so much. No retaliations. Hardly getting sniped. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All the yes. I have never enjoyed MPQ PvP so much before.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think it is a much better system. It makes it viable to join the event near the start and work your way toward your goal. However I think that the number of wins needed for the goals (especially the 4*) are way too high.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Not a 5* player but do routinely hit 900 with my 4* roster and 1200 when I want it.  

Absolutely hated it.  Spent more time on it then a normal event with fewer rewards and more fights.  Only positive I can find is that I didn't use a single shield when I would usually have used several.  
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While I do want progression to be decoupled with the points system (you should never, ever be able to move backwards in progression), the system they're testing needs quite a bit of fine-tuning. The number of wins required is too high. Furthermore, the fact that clearance levels 9 and 10 aren't open yet means there's a bottleneck in level 8. It was way too competitive way too quickly.
  • vinnygecko
    vinnygecko Posts: 241 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like the concept, but voted no because in practice, 40 wins is ridiculous to me, when I got to 900 after 24 wins (despite the game crashing 3 times to automatic losses, including a seed team). I don't want to grind 16 more wins while only seeing the same 4 people over and over again. To not get a measly Ragnarok cover when I would have gotten the 4* cover is pretty infuriating and annoying. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's a big yes for me. I can play a handful of matches at a time to get a reward then take a break and not lose progress so my mindset no longer has to be about recovering lost points then winning as many matches as possible, and as quickly as possible at that, to get as many rewards as I can before the attacks rain down on me. A lot less stress because of it. 

I would like to see the cp return to progression though. And I read a suggestion yesterday, maybe the day before, that I liked which would help the guys that have more advanced rosters or would just rather play for points instead of wins. Just have a dual system where you can still get to the end prize by playing for points but if you would rather play more casually and do 40 wins then you can do that too.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I voted "yes", with the caveat that the win total could use tweaking and the CP should still be a part of progression.  Honesty, my point totals have hovered around the same as any other event (I've peaked at 644 (down in the mid-500's now after getting hit a lot), but was able to hit the "725" progression, which I never have before.  It probably took the exact same number of matches as it usually does to hit 575, for what it's worth.

The biggest difference to me was how much people collectively goofed off for the first 36 hours.  I saw more variety in opponents than I've literally seen in any other PVP event since I started playing.  I chained some mutually beneficial counter attacks with some complete strangers and generally enjoyed playing for fun on my own schedule.  The last 24 hrs has been the same monotonous tedium against the same 2-3 teams just like every other PVP event, but I get it as place matters to enough other people.  Even if I still only play to the 10CP award in the future, i very much favor this format to make PVP less repetitious than PVE...at least assuming many people will keep goofing off and that wasn't just an off-season thing.
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I do not like the new PvP system.

Probably already been said or asked but why do all clearance levels have to have the same reward structure? Why don't they give up to cl5 this new format and give cl6 and up the old format?