Do you like the new PvP system (progression rewards based on wins instead of points gained)?

Comments

• Stick
    Stick Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    I'm transitioning to 4 stars (I've got 5 champed) and I play at scl8. I think the only people this format hurts is the people on top the pile. I think what would be best is if there was a 5 star land bracket where each match is worth more since they take longer. keep whatever structure they like best, but keep them away from smaller fish like me so I can have a chance lol.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker

I'll mirror what a few have said already - Number of wins required needs to be tuned lower.

I was at nearly 700 points by the time I had enough wins for the 10CP, but then stopped playing at either 24 or 28 wins because I just didn't want to fight the exact same teams another 12 or 16 times. Other than that, I enjoyed the fact that I never lost progress.

I like the concept, and I think the execution definitely matched the vision for the devs. Definitely tune the number of required wins a little lower.

• dstann
    dstann Posts: 55 Match Maker
    I don't mind the concept but the number of wins required for the 4* reward is way too high.  I made 900 points after 26 wins, so now I have to do another 14 fights to get the 4*.  Because I have already finished the boss event I can devote a bit of time to PVP, but if there was a PVE event at the same time it is just too time consuming.  It really would become PVE or PVP, I don't have the time to do both.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Rewards are set way too high!  I only played to 20 matches and got to just over 800 points.  2-3 more would have gotten me to 900.  I don't need an XFW cover bad enough to slog through another 20 matches.  Otherwise, it was rather relaxing to not have to play-shield-hit 1 or 2 teams-shield-hit again-final shield.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just wish they kept the test for black vortex. I really really.ned that red X23 cover. She's been sitting at 5/1/5 since vaulting began.

• Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Conceptually, it's a welcome change, but the reality is just far too tiresome. I'm giving up at 24 wins because I would have normally hit 900 already and the remaining rewards don't merit doubling my playtime for these particular covers.

I do applaud the effort to allow PvP players some way of obtaining 4* covers without requiring them to have the boosted characters champed.
  • bOmbast
    bOmbast Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Voted no, as a 4* player (22 4* champs, no useable 5*s). Like most posting here, I reach 900 in 20-25 matches, so needing double is just ridiculous considering how much of a time sink this game already is. 

What I DO support, is the chance for 3* rosters to earn the 4* reward if they put in the effort (previously that was very tough). But not at the expense of the players who really care abouty pvp, and for whom the "stress" of quick climbs and shield hops remain a welcome change from an otherwise pretty grindy and tedious game. This test was pvp for pve players, music for people who don't like music, if you will. 

I can live with the change, however, if the required matches is lowered to 30-35 - and if they bring back CP for progression. 

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    Ooh, here's another random idea. People seem to want the 900 cover so badly?

Move the 3star cover down to 575, the 900  4 star cover to 700 and the 10 cp to 900. Leave 15cp at 1200. Boom! Problem fixed.

I wouldn't say that's 'fixed'  It still does nothing to address the real concern driving this of backsliding progression.  But that is a better compromise that I don't see the devs implementing.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Daiches said:

Move the 3star cover down to 575, the 900  4 star cover to 700 and the 10 cp to 900. Leave 15cp at 1200. Boom! Problem fixed.

I wouldn't say that's 'fixed'  It still does nothing to address the real concern driving this of backsliding progression.  But that is a better compromise that I don't see the devs implementing.
    There is already a solution to backsliding progression. It's called shields and it's one of their income sources. Next to healthpacks. Which ties into it. So...
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    broll said:
    Daiches said:

There is already a solution to backsliding progression. It's called shields and it's one of their income sources. Next to healthpacks. Which ties into it. So...
    Yet it still comes up as an often requested feature (and probably something people put in comments as why they don't recommend it).  The only logical reason to do this test at all is they are trying to address that feedback.  A solution that doesn't address that isn't really a solution.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tentative yes from me.  I didn't get to really test it because my playtime was limited, and i spent most of it finishing the last season pvp, hulk, and sinister 6.  By the time I'd had sufficient free time to try I only had about four hours left in the event and didn't even reach the 10 cp (fell asleep).  I like it in theory, though.  I was able to use teams other than whatever was boosted for some of the easier matchups and pick specific counters without worrying about how many points I'd lose leaving them on defense.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    No sir, I don't like it.
    Tried to find fights to get a slew of easy/low point wins, got a couple, got really bored, climbed and jumped in usual fashion, ended up up 10 in CL5 at around 30 wins. Was getting a lot of twin 5* champ teams, and I ran out of health packs, but had neither the time  or desire to let myself drop  and come back up for placement, so shielded and did a single hop into the 900s.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017

No.  It's a perception thing.  Seeing that I still have 32 wins to go before the 4* is much more disheartening than needing "only" another 600 points.

I found myself not bothering with the event after the seed teams and a few more matches.  No enthusiasm for it at all.

:edit: Musing a little more, for PvE I end up grinding at least 9 nodes 6 or 7 times, every single day, 48 hour subs excepted.  Grinding another 40 matches over 3 days shouldn't be that big a deal.  But somehow it is.

In a PvE clear to checkmarks, there are only maybe 10 matches/day comparable to the matches that I play in every PvP match.  This format increases, by a non-trivial amount, the number of tough matches that I need to play every week.

EDIT:  I'm in a Skrull Sandwich!
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    As long as the 15 CP is a placement award, I'll always vote no.  It makes no sense to force people into lower CLs in an effort to get better placement.
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Voted no.  This is awful.  The only positive is that it makes retaliating worthwhile.

I ended up shielded at 1040 points with 32 matches.  There was no way I was going to play another 8 matches (which would take another half hour at least) just to get an x-force cover that I should have already gotten from the old style of progression.  

Given that several of my matches were retals that I'd normally skip and that I let a few friendlies hit me late, it's a fair assumption that 30 matches would have given me the 1200 I'd normally need for full progression rewards.

This new system is asking me to play more for less rewards. It's a total bust in my opinion.
  • Gandalf333
    Gandalf333 Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    I... kind of like it, as I hated losing progression when losing to another team, but... the amount of wins is just nuts. I know some here are saying "I hit it no probs," but I'm quite certain it took me fewer than 12 wins to get to the first HP reward, and having to fight 40 times for the top progression is yet another grind they want us to do. This and that adjustment to PVE which asks us to grind 6 or more of the same nodes... 5 times now? In a 24 hour period for the most part? They're just asking for players to get burnt out.

Another issue is the people admitting they really clobbered lower level teams to get to their 40 wins. I'm glad you got to your 40, but I'm sure those people that didn't have a chance against your champed 4 star or 5 star team really loved being hit over the head so much. One good thing the previous system did is that it discouraged this kind of thing, but now, it REALLY encourages it. 

Rather than this win system, I'd prefer the other idea I saw out there, where once you get a progression reward, your points couldn't fall under that threshold. That's less of a change to the system we've had and wouldn't require nearly as much balancing as this does. 

And yeah, as usual, to finish in the top 100 and get two 2 star covers (at clearance level 8)? Please. Even with people probably growing new 2 stars, these are just not good rewards. You used to get a 3 star for this, and that was something to go for. Yes, more ISO here and draws are nice and all, but you know the cover reward is the shiny people are looking for. 
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    On the truest level of the question- "do you like the new PvP format",  my answer is yes.  I truly think its an improvement. On the unasked question of "do you like or agree with the rewards structure associated with the test? " my answer is a resounding hell no.  Bring back cp