Suggested changes to PvP rewards based on first win based progression test.

broll
broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
NOTE: I pulled this from my post in Progression Reward Changes in Versus Tournaments (7/20/17) as it was getting lost 26 pages deep.  Content wasn't really changed but I wanted place to discuss just this suggestion (and make it more likely @Brigby and/or devs see it).
shusheshe said:
I played the way I normally do (except sans shield) and 27 wins got me to 1006, which is the highest I've hit since cupcakes disappeared.    

This goes exactly to what the devs said in discord about people not playing as they intended.  Cupcakes only became a thing to fix a problem caused by people not bothering to play PvP (especially lower rostered players).  This change offered in a massive influx of lower rostered players essentially fulfilling the absent role that cupcakes tried to fix.  This is ultimately very good for PvP if this level of play stays up.

From what I'm reading it sounds like there are two thing that need to be fixed:
1.  15 CP out of top 10 and back into progression in some form (even if it's points based, see my earlier suggestion about hybrid progression rewards).
2.  Find a way to have 5* rosters not have to play way more than normal against their tougher foes.  My suggestion to that is SCLs 9 and or 10  (see below).

If SCL9 and/or 10 had the 4* at like 20-25 wins would that be reasonable to people playing in 5* land?  There would probably still need to be some reward at 40 wins in that rank, but maybe a second 4*, an LT, or a 5*?

Here's my proposal for rewards.  This would lower the 4* requirement for people in 5* (by using SCL 9 /10), adds something more worthwhile to most 5* players for 40 wins if they want to fight for it (I used LT, but could be a second 4* or 5*), and spreads the rewards out more then they are today to discourage people jumping down to lower SCLs.

What do you think?

Comments

• RunningMan
    RunningMan Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    I'd prefer a hybrid system where it uses both points and wins for the same reward, but it rewards you based on whichever you hit first.  I can't remember all the point values for rewards, so will just use the ones I remember from CL7. 

575pts or 16 wins : 10cp
    800pts or 28 wins : 3* cover
    900pts or 40 wins : 4* cover
    1200pts                : 15cp

This way, the transitioning rosters can reach their desired covers by grinding out wins while the stronger rosters can reach the rewards through points in likely fewer wins.  The existing CP for max progression would remain points only.

So for example, a 3*-4* transitioner could:
      - hit 575 points in 12 wins and get the 10cp
      - They might decide to stop there, or continue on and hit 800 points for the 3* cover in 25 wins
      - However, at that high, they often get beat back down as fast (or faster) than they can get points, so they decide to grind out another 15 wins to get the 4* cover, and end the event with 625 pts after all is said and done.
  • larzilla
    larzilla Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    First 20 wins= about 900 points so this system ruins an already lacking in rewards pvp system. 

I believe a fix would be base the star levels on the CL the player chooses to enter.

Example

CL1-  1 stars
    CL2- 1&2 stars
    CL3-2 stars or less
    CL4- 2&3 stars or less
    CL5 -3 stars or less
    CL6 -3&4 stars or less
    CL 7 -4 stars or less
    CL8 -4&5 stars or less
    CL9-5 stars or less

In this example you couldn't use your 5* characters in CL 7 and could only use 1 5* in cl8

Also at CL6 plus it would be nice to use the 4* version of the required character if available as an option.