Top Gun: Apr 28 - 30 Falcon PVP

Options

Comments

• Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Firstly, thanks Kyip! I just took a few shots at you since I've got some competition climbing up my bracket. The 2nd match nearly ended badly, thanks to a cascade in Thor's favour.

I'm at 1200 now and re-shielded. I'll need to time my push to 1300 later in the day - some time after the 8 hour mark has passed, I think. This endeavor has been expensive on HP, but I soft sold myself when I decided to get the Falcon cover, and once I was in first I didn't really feel like giving that up.

As for point inflation:
    It could be worth considering that this is not a co-incidence.

If, by some bizarre algorithm, a small number of people remain visible after shielding, that would allow more of the player base to hit some higher rewards. Following the recent spree of XF Wolverine covers from the daily rewards, perhaps demiurge is attempting to raise the number of XF and IW in the wild.

Why would they do this?

If I had to guess, they want to gather more information on how the current 4*'s are used in matches, and it's a numbers game - the more XF's there are out there, the more likely he is to be used. I seem to recall a number of hasty changes "recently": The pre-release nerf to Falcon's Yellow, the post-release nerf to Panther's Black, and my inner conspiracy theorist wants to believe that the "bug" to Patch's Green at release was how they had originally planned the ability and just hadn't fully considered how badly it would be abused - just like the 2 AP cost spamable abilities.

With that reasoning, I think they've probably tweaked XF in-house, but someone finally said "hey, how do the players use this guy? are these changes going to break the game?" to which the response was probably "uh, we actually don't know."

Further, Fury is set to surpass both of them once he is fully released. And I would say that there's a good possibility that Sentry, teased recently, could be a follow up 4*. Perhaps there's no intention to fix XF and IW (I know she's not nearly as broken, but she still doesn't get much play) and Fury simply represents the first of the "new" 4* cast that operate at a 4* level. Since XF and IW won't be able to compete, they'll simply become trophies for taking up a roster slot - and most people will be disinclined to sell a fully covered character, even if it's worthless.
  • Mawtful wrote:
    Firstly, thanks Kyip! I just took a few shots at you since I've got some competition climbing up my bracket. The 2nd match nearly ended badly, thanks to a cascade in Thor's favour.

I'm at 1200 now and re-shielded. I'll need to time my push to 1300 later in the day - some time after the 8 hour mark has passed, I think. This endeavor has been expensive on HP, but I soft sold myself when I decided to get the Falcon cover, and once I was in first I didn't really feel like giving that up.

As for point inflation:
    It could be worth considering that this is not a co-incidence.

If, by some bizarre algorithm, a small number of people remain visible after shielding, that would allow more of the player base to hit some higher rewards. Following the recent spree of XF Wolverine covers from the daily rewards, perhaps demiurge is attempting to raise the number of XF and IW in the wild.

Why would they do this?

If I had to guess, they want to gather more information on how the current 4*'s are used in matches, and it's a numbers game - the more XF's there are out there, the more likely he is to be used. I seem to recall a number of hasty changes "recently": The pre-release nerf to Falcon's Yellow, the post-release nerf to Panther's Black, and my inner conspiracy theorist wants to believe that the "bug" to Patch's Green at release was how they had originally planned the ability and just hadn't fully considered how badly it would be abused - just like the 2 AP cost spamable abilities.

With that reasoning, I think they've probably tweaked XF in-house, but someone finally said "hey, how do the players use this guy? are these changes going to break the game?" to which the response was probably "uh, we actually don't know."

Further, Fury is set to surpass both of them once he is fully released. And I would say that there's a good possibility that Sentry, teased recently, could be a follow up 4*. Perhaps there's no intention to fix XF and IW (I know she's not nearly as broken, but she still doesn't get much play) and Fury simply represents the first of the "new" 4* cast that operate at a 4* level. Since XF and IW won't be able to compete, they'll simply become trophies for taking up a roster slot - and most people will be disinclined to sell a fully covered character, even if it's worthless.

I would say 90% chance sentry is a 3***. Void would be 4**** sentry. Also. I think the idea xforce has been touched at all is wishful thinking. A while ago ice said he didn't know what it was about. I would assume they touched something in coding and it reverted to an older set-up (has happened before with them). So I doubt this is on purpose...there is no way they mean to be giving this many 3*** out to basically everyone with 2 hrs and 0 pts.

This has me thinking.though....could the same happen in the shield training? Because that's going to lead for a LOOONG last few days if ppl can shield hop on eachother's shields like they clearly can in the PvP right now.
  • well i just realized that there is only 14 hours left. There is no way im getting 1100. People are attacking me and now im under 500 points

._. i should just give up.....
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just made the climb to 1100 and got my Falcon cover. icon_e_smile.gif Which only puts me in 3rd in bracket. Top five are all over 1100.

As an aside, almost every single team I faced had OBW. It got to the point where I was skipping to find a team without OBW just for a little bit of variety.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    To save us from future torture...Everyone should stop grinding.

PHRASING!

Boom!
  • Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Making my push now, let me be please icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm trying to reach 3000 so please no one attack me. Also, i'd appreciate it if you would all retreat to me...several times. Your cooperation is appreciated, thank you and good night. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Arogntbastrd
    Options
    Haha, oh thanos. You're what the Spanish call "el terible"

Hello yellow birdie... 1100 for first time, woot woot! I'd like to dedicate this falcon to locked. She always believed in me
  • MaxCavalera
    MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    entropic01 wrote:
    Geez guys, you could have at least bought me dinner.

v7BVDdv.jpg

Ouch that is quite impressive i hope you had thrown in a tank team at least.
  • Shielded at 1030 for a few hours while I head out. If anyone sees me in their queue anyway, now is the time for free points apparently.

But if you also wanted to lose and nudge me up a bit toward 1100, that'd be fine too.
  • Ghast wrote:
    Shielded at 1030 for a few hours while I head out. If anyone sees me in their queue anyway, now is the time for free points apparently.

But if you also wanted to lose and nudge me up a bit toward 1100, that'd be fine too.

Sorry bro, pretty sure kyip is the town bicycle on this one. Seriously, ppl 800 points or more down are finding him.almost instantly. It's pretty weird honestly.
  • Ah, I'll probably get it without much hassle after I let things cool down for a bit. Congratulations to everyone in advance on that IW blue.
  • Arogntbastrd
    Options
    Ghast wrote:
    Shielded at 1030 for a few hours while I head out. If anyone sees me in their queue anyway, now is the time for free points apparently.

Sorry bro, pretty sure kyip is the town bicycle on this one. Seriously, ppl 800 points or more down are finding him.almost instantly. It's pretty weird honestly.

Let's not feel too bad for him, I just came across him, he's at 1700+ icon_eek.gif

Edit: double woo! Crossed 1300! kyip, made those last 100 go by pretty quick. Sweet ****. Glad I shielded, I just got hit twice for 87!
  • Ghast wrote:

Let's not feel too bad for him, I just came across him, he's at 1700+ icon_eek.gif

Hey, nobody ever said the town bicycle doesn't have its perks! Lol. It's actually really funny,.in that he has gained over 100 pts from 1-2 pt losses. Although he may have unshielded to gain some of that, but I don't think so. That same 100 pt push will cost me 1-3 shields lol. Of.course, if he didnt time his shield right he might end up in the 800 range in a matter of minutes lol.
  • Arogntbastrd
    Options
    Haha, I assume he's watching his shield timer like a hawk. I could've said falcon but we're all better than that. Can you re shield while shielded? Or do you have to break it to re shield?

What's funny is that half of shield will prob do better than him, and by funny I mean soul crushing. I'm 500+ above 2nd in my bracket but s.h.i.e.l.d's shamusyeah is sitting in third just laying in wait

STOP MOCKING ME!!!
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    lol the point inflation is amazing, guess I should jump on that train while it's in town!

Argont, yeaaah this stuff is pretty addictive! One could get used to it icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Reminds me of the first ares tournament, the first pvp I won, with 2200 points due to the new shielding mechanic.

Also a little mad at myself that I tagged out after I got the falcon cover and didn't go for the blue IW, but I will not take that gift for granted. I hope this was a non repeatable shielding glitch, and if so that D3 will not make significant progression changes because the glitch was abused to this extent. You know as well as I they increase progression instantly but it takes weeks of unobtainable rewards before they will lower it slightly. I thought we just hit a sweet spot where we can get to 1100 with some diligence for those who work hard for it. Now I feel it may be ruined.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I started to feel bad but
    1) 4* covers in the game are mostly useless atm, so whatever
    2) if we can score now, less to worry about later

3) it's contagious so it won't stop anyway however well you preach, unfortunately, because if people can abuse a glitch, they will
  • Going to sound a little high horse but I have enough standards not to abuse a glitch for personal gain, but there is definitely a contingent to player who will win at any cost. I know nothing I will say will change that but I fear the potential repercussions from their actions, I can only pity them for the inevitable situation.

Understand that I am not complaining or taking a holier than thou stance, I am just observing reality and it worries me.

I bet the same people to drove the points up to the moon will complain if D3 cranks the 1100 cover up to 1400 again and we cannot actually claim it anymore without this freak shield accident.

Hopefully D3 does not do that. Too bad this will have lasting effects on season 1. An inky blemish if you will.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Dormammu you attacked me while I was at 1080. The freaking screen said "Points: 1129" and I was so happy, and then "You've Been Attacked!
    - (whatever)"

During my next match I was attacked down to 950, and I haven't been able to get back up to 1100 in the past two hours

we are now MORTAL ENEMIES. your children will suffer for this, and your childrens' children