Doctor's orders Apr 25-27 season 1

Options

Comments

• Ben Grimm wrote:
    Toxicadam wrote:
    I'm predicting Spider Man rewards.

I'm wondering if - after they heavily implied recently they were going to do something about Spidey - that they were consciously avoiding featuring or awarding him until the changes hit.

True, but they also offered Classic Mags a few times after it became clear he needed to be nerfed.
  • Teke184 wrote:
    My guess is that he's looking for low point people to retreat from, which does more damage to your point total and, in turn, probably has a greater effect on your MMR.

The system appears to queue a certain number of players in advance. Many people no longer skip because it sucks away their ISO bonus, but that bonus means nothing when you have no plans to win the match. If I lose in a match on the top node, I can absent-mindedly skip four matches in the lower-left node before retreating to the fifth opponent instead of paying the skip tax. Repeat with the lower-right node, then back to the top. You will not notice much of a difference at first, but keep at it and you will see enemy levels melt away.

By the time you hit 50 points, losses begin to suck away 1 or 2 points at most. By the time you hit 16, you should see nothing but stock opponents and level 1 M. Storm and Iron Man. You will continue to see these foes for quite some time because the system has so many of them queued up for you by now. These matches eventually become worth no more than 12 points, but completing them takes less than a minute and you know with 100 percent certainty that your opponent will not successfully retaliate. Also, as I have stated elsewhere - sometimes while completely oblivious to sarcasm - you generate tons of ISO.

By the time you get to the 600s, many of your enemies will have a level 40+ Daken. This is adorable and should bring back fond memories. The later you start climbing in a tournament, the more likely you are to run into mid-level players at higher point thresholds. Eventually though, the MMR starts looking at point values more than anything else. When that happens, you guys show up and most targets below 700 points disappear. That is when I slug it out with REAL opponents and their equivalent rosters for final points and placement without fear that of losing points to the bodies I have climbed over on the way up.

You can try this for yourself on a small scale during the next Lightning Rounds. Beat the seeds, do the skip thing until you get down to three points, and then whomp the players available to you. With the equivalent of instant seed teams, you can fly up the leaderboard within the first ten minutes. If you intentionally win against tank teams and selectively retreat to others, you can keep yourself between 50 - 150 points and face one tank team after the other. You will not get diabolical tokens, but diabolical tokens suck anyway. You get ISO and the traditional tankers get much-needed losses the old-fashioned way.

On the way back down - if I choose to go back down - I look for names that I recognize and retreat to them. Yesterday I tried to only do this with people in the 1000+ range who still needed a green GSBW cover. During the LRs I gave points to people with serious teams trying to place.

TLDR: Lowering your MMR In a specific way helps generate ISO and allows you to place higher with a lower fear of retaliation.
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wow very in depth write up about your tanking methods and with the simulator in prologue going away I think I need to try this. Also thanks for the points you have given me multiple times.
  • Who says marijuana makes you dumber? Nice post. Now delete it so the devs won't make changes to the current system.
    Ghast wrote:
    [By the time you get to the 600s, many of your enemies will have a level 40+ Daken. This is adorable and should bring back fond memories.

This made me laugh.
  • Ya I'm aware of that tanking/ISO generation method, I had to use it during bad is good because I couldn't progress with my garbage team in my MMR.

If I had enough free time or on holidays I would do that. But otherwise we are treading into play is work territory.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Classic Magneto rewards. I already have him maxed but that is a good reward for others. I think I will casually try to get to top 25.
  • Right now my cMags is softcapped at level 66 so being able to get him to playable levels is pretty hype
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Maybe they're going to nerf him so they're giving us all covers for re-spec purposes. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    No, he's probably skipping to find a forumite to retreat to.
    Or skipping is the thing to do while stoned, what do I know icon_e_wink.gif

Oddly enough...when I play this game whilst stoned I don't skip anyone...I fight every opponent that comes across my queue to varying success. Not sure why....
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Who says marijuana makes you dumber? Nice post. Now delete it so the devs won't make changes to the current system.
    Ghast wrote:
    [By the time you get to the 600s, many of your enemies will have a level 40+ Daken. This is adorable and should bring back fond memories.

This made me laugh.

I was going to quote that part too, good stuff. Thanks to Ghast for the write up, I know I've seen it in action since the only way you'd have lost to some of my teams is retreating ^.~
  • Woo-hoo! I need red and two purples. I can get 2/3rds of the way there without having to place top ten.
  • And another pvp that ends 5-7am for the Europeans. After the Punisher pvp which ended afternoon (7pm for me) the pve and 2 pvp end 7am.

Why don't they move the ending times to 11 AM/PM GMT? At least then one of them is convenient for the majority of players. 11PM would be a little late for Europe (but definitely manageable) and around 2-4 for US (when most players have left work) and 11AM would be a little late for Americans and during work for Europeans, although both could squeeze some games and put a 3h shield. The way things are now, for Europe it's either during work or in the middle of the night. It's only a matter of time before people stop caring about the game. I know I am getting there.
  • Looks to be a fun tourney...

I don't have to pour all my iso into maxing out Doom, as my copy is cover-maxed at the moment.

I need all three colors of Mags, with finishing in the top 10 maxing out my blue.

Doom meshes well with most of the available maxed 2*s I have, so it doesn't feel like a chore to play like Hollowpoint Kiss feels.
  • I've got Red and Blue covered thanks to killing it in the Lightning Rounds before they got nerfed to complete crapola.

Thanks for offering the rare purple as an alliance only reward, D3. Let us know when you have a clue how to rotate awards.
  • Black Panther and/or Punisher look like good matches for a Doom with 5 blue. Doom should act as a black battery for BP in the same way that Thor acts as a green battery for GSBW.

Buffed Doom tanks black, blue and pink, so I may bring C. Mags as my third.

Doom/Pun/Mag - Doom tanks pink, Pun covers red and green, and C. Mags takes the hit on yellow. Nobody uses yellow as a skill, so that goes to waste.

Doom/BP/Mags - BP tanks yellow and Mags takes the hit on red. Green AP goes to waste and green matches do minimal damage. Doom and Mags both have skills that use blue AP. On defense, it does not matter whether BP or Doom use their black AP ability because your foe is screwed either way.

I want to level Lazy Thor because I will snag his last two covers tonight. His abilities do not conflict with Doom unless you destroy Demons for red AP and he covers three colors that Doom does not. No time to bring him up to a respectable level during this tournament, though.
  • Ghast wrote:
    Black Panther and/or Punisher look like good matches for a Doom with 5 blue. Doom should act as a black battery for BP in the same way that Thor acts as a green battery for GSBW.

Buffed Doom tanks black, blue and pink, so I may bring C. Mags as my third.

Doom/Pun/Mag - Doom tanks pink, Pun covers red and green, and C. Mags takes the hit on yellow. Nobody uses yellow as a skill, so that goes to waste.

Doom/BP/Mags - BP tanks yellow and Mags takes the hit on red. Green AP goes to waste and green matches do minimal damage. Doom and Mags both have skills that use blue AP. On defense, it does not matter whether BP or Doom use their black AP ability because your foe is screwed either way.

I want to level Lazy Thor because I will snag his last two covers tonight. His abilities do not conflict with Doom unless you destroy Demons for red AP and he covers three colors that Doom does not. No time to bring him up to a respectable level during this tournament, though.

The goofball in me kind of wants to use Punisher/Doom/MN Mags. Mags will be protected on all his colors and give fast Tech Strike, and Judgement+Buffed Demons will kill people about as fast as Rage of the Panther anyways icon_lol.gif
  • That is an interesting idea. My MN Mags is up to 68 solely because I need him to live a few turns in PVE. Even maxed at 85 though, I am afraid he will lack the "stay away" factor that 3 141s exude.
  • Ghast wrote:
    That is an interesting idea. My MN Mags is up to 68 solely because I need him to live a few turns in PVE. Even maxed at 85 though, I am afraid he will lack the "stay away" factor that 3 141s exude.

Besides that factor, he also sucks on defense because the AI has no idea how to use Polarity Shift properly.
  • Teke184 wrote:
    Ghast wrote:
    That is an interesting idea. My MN Mags is up to 68 solely because I need him to live a few turns in PVE. Even maxed at 85 though, I am afraid he will lack the "stay away" factor that 3 141s exude.

Besides that factor, he also sucks on defense because the AI has no idea how to use Polarity Shift properly.

Jerk would probably use Iron Hammer instead of Tech Strike, too icon_evil.gif
  • Teke184 wrote:
    Ghast wrote:

His red is the only move the AI might do successfully and it's fairly high cost. MN Mags (and I love him) doesn't even have the stay away factor of most 85s.