**** Nick Fury (Director of S.H.I.E.L.D) ****

Options

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So: Nick Fury.

When he was released it seemed like he was going to be the most powerful character in the game. Sure he's been eclipsed by X-Force but it's still kind of amazing how rarely I see him.

I'm I've got 13 covers for him and am really starting to wonder whether he's worth leveling. Do any of you actually use him?

Ive personally never used him because of the opprtunity cost of leveling him up. I dont think xf fury is really that much better (arguably worse?) than xf dp or xf cmags, and it costs at least 400k iso to level him into useable territory, which is like leveling 4 3*s to 135.
  • So: Nick Fury.

When he was released it seemed like he was going to be the most powerful character in the game. Sure he's been eclipsed by X-Force but it's still kind of amazing how rarely I see him.

I'm I've got 13 covers for him and am really starting to wonder whether he's worth leveling. Do any of you actually use him?

He's pretty good in PVE when you need to focus on denying blue from enemy Daken. Also lots of enemies have purple as their strongest color so using Surgical Strike can often lead to Escape Plan. I'll sometimes use Spider-man to tank for him when facing an overscaled Moonstone node and use the protect tiles to block Gravity Warp.
  • He's good, just all his powers require quite a lot of AP. blueflag.png is deadly, purpleflag.png is nice and yellowflag.png is not bad.
    I think players with Fury have also XF, so they use better (faster) option and definitely better AFK.
  • The way the 4* seem to be designed is that they're more like someone you bring out to get that extra hard win but their long downtime and relative slow speed means it's hard to use them continously. Of course, the problem here is that X Force has double regen for being Wolverine and Recovery, so he's pretty much always ready whereas Nick Fury is not. Nick Fury needs all of his health because his moves does take a while to get going and you will be getting beat up while you're getting enough AP to setup an Avenger's Assemble or waiting for an enemy to finally trip over Demolition, so he's not someone you can play for extended time because if he starts out at half health he might not live long enough to get his moves in, but you can't exactly afford to use a health pack when he takes 4K damage. Keep in mind Nick Fury essentially takes elevated damage because his moves are slow, it's virtually assured that your enemy will have time to put on plenty of damage on him.

I think they need to get rid of the double regen thing as a property of character because I don't see why X Force needed any boost to begin with, and if they don't want to nerf anything just make everyone have double regen (besides the guys who already have it). The remaining true healing abilities should be looked at, because there are still a lot of time I just use X Force + Daken + whoever for even somewhat difficult PvE nodes (low 200 range) simply because this is the team that can play the longest even if it's not optimal for winning, but as long as you win at the end, not having to heal 2 out of 3 characters is just way too much of an advantage for sustained play.
  • I like Fury (mine is lv221 atm) but he's very much one of those characters I wheel out for the odd fight rather than a key part of my team.

The total focus on speed in top end pvp makes him only suitable for the 700-900 grind zone, while in high level pve the match damage before he gets a power off can be dangerous.

What suprises me in the poll is the lack of popularity of 4-5-4. I'm currently going with a 3-5-5 build but the utility of a 3 turn stun for the 4th colour in Yellow is very appealing and as far as I can tell all I'd lose is a 1 turn faster countdown tile in the purple. That sounds OK to me.
  • I like Fury (mine is lv221 atm) but he's very much one of those characters I wheel out for the odd fight rather than a key part of my team.

The total focus on speed in top end pvp makes him only suitable for the 700-900 grind zone, while in high level pve the match damage before he gets a power off can be dangerous.

What suprises me in the poll is the lack of popularity of 4-5-4. I'm currently going with a 3-5-5 build but the utility of a 3 turn stun for the 4th colour in Yellow is very appealing and as far as I can tell all I'd lose is a 1 turn faster countdown tile in the purple. That sounds OK to me.

The stun is nice since you might not always be able to match both Crit tiles generated when level 3 Avengers Assemble activates, but then you might as well go for 5/5/3 to potentially get extra AOE damage with green while giving up an unreliable extra 6 AP drain on purple. You get the damage upgrade on Escape plan at level 3.
  • You'd see fury a lot more if it wasn't for Hood's blue.

Clearly if you maxed fury, you probably already have XForce maxed who is a faster character. Also Sentry. . . Well that'll change soon

But as long as Hood is around, you probably can't use a slow character as effectively - until Thorina arrives anyways
  • The Hood has nothing to do with slow or fast character because his ability is just as good on a slow character as a fast character and fighting The Hood without The Hood is borderline crazy talk. Nick Fury is as good as anyone else you can possibly use in the PvE nodes where Wolverine locked out (common) and he's easily the best character when both Sentry and Wolverine cannot be used as in the case in one of the recent nodes (versus X Force + Sentry + Doom). The problem is that while in PvE your team would likely look like Fury + The Hood + any R/G user, this team cannot be constructed in PvP unless the featured characteri s R/G or The Hood. While there are a lot of R/G characters out there it's still nowhere near the majority and missing R or G or possibly both is crippling to your team. Comparatively X Force + The Hood is missing R out of the powerful colors, and Sentry + The Hood isn't missing anything. Although his blue and purple are both quite good, that doesn't mean anything if you end up missing G since failure to acquire green AP is generally the fastest way to ensure a loss. In a free form team he's still not as good as X Force and that's mostly because of Surgical Strike, but he's still the second best guy in a free form team (factoring impending Sentry nerf) where you don't have to worry about his inability to cover R/G, but you always have to worry about that in PvP.
  • I'm currently leveling my Xforce.

I have 10 covers in Nick Fury and I intend to max cover him by the time I get Xforce to level 270 (about 200k ISO away).
    Is Nick Fury worth the 430k Iso to max level him? Or is he just another guy that can be replaced with a 3 star?

I’ve never had a high leveled Nick Fury so it’s impossible to test him out.

What do you guys think?

In the same vein, what is his best build? 5/5/3 sounds great in theory, but is it difficult getting that 5 AP in each color without consistently delaying casting it?
    Is his purple worth farming 12 purple AP, or is it just okay and not worth focus farming for?

Thanks for the help!
  • HA, just posted to your FB comment with a response...check it out
  • Why start leveling nick when thor has just arrived and is kicking ****??
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Fury. I have 5/2/4 at 209 and he's great so far. He might be the only character where any build would work well. I like 5 yellowflag.png because you only need 3 of any out of the 4 other colors to be effective. He might not be on XF or Thorette's level, but I'd say he's a match for the top 3 star.png chars.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    onimus wrote:
    In the same vein, what is his best build? 5/5/3 sounds great in theory, but is it difficult getting that 5 AP in each color without consistently delaying casting it?
    Is his purple worth farming 12 purple AP, or is it just okay and not worth focus farming for?

For quite a while I was stuck on aiming for 355 for Fury just because I felt I had plenty of yellow users and blue/purple were a bit more sparse. But after looking closer at the difference between 3 purpleflag.png and 5 purpleflag.png , it's the same initial damage, the same strike tile, only the cd is reduced by 1 and you steal +6 AP. So while I'm not excited by the cost of yellow, I'll probably end up 553 just because the extra covers in purple don't seem to do enough to pass on the yellow for me.

I haven't leveled my fury at all yet, but that's mostly because I'm missing a couple blues.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5/5/3 makes more sense. 3->5 purple as others have said are both average upgrades where as the 2 turn stun and 3k hulk smash have a better chance of being relevant (esp hulk smash on green, which is high priority). 3->4 purple is like upping the ap steal on Psylocke blue (bleh) and 4->5 purple increases the consistency of the strike tile coming out, but its not essential.
  • Nick Fury is hard to use in PvP because he doesn't cover red or green and it's hard to cover green, support, and optionally red with the featured character format on PvP. He's quite good in PvE but nobody comes close to X Force in the generic damage guy role there alone, and Nick Fury doesn't have double regen/true healing which is a very important consideration for PvE. He's a good character but he's limited by game system that overwhelming favors true healing type for PvE and certain color coverage in PvP.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Fury is pure FUN.

I consider his strongest build to be 355 but I personally run 553 because executing a perfect yellow is FUN and pretty much leads to victory. He's a strong character but he's not a game changer in any way.

His strongest asset is just that he's a deterrent defensively. If I leave LR with XF/featured/Fury I never seem to get hit. Meanwhile if I leave it with XF/feature/Hood (a team that's easily stronger) then I'll get hit from time to time. The same is true in PvP at least until you break 1000 or so.

I'd compare Fury to a character like Black Panthor. He's very strong but has no lasting power and eats up health packs in short order. Though unlike BP, Fury has a strong offensive blue and purple power which is lacking in this game (blue less so these days).

Is it tough to get each colour without delaying the cast?
    Yes. Even with hood it's tough.
    I often have 2 problems...getting 12 yellow quick and then missing either a pivotal red/green match. Or having a rainbow colour but being stuck at 9 or 11 yellow. Unless you have a lucky board with multiple line matches or you're bringing in AP boosts...Fury's yellow is not about killing quickly with consistency.

I'd recommend leveling him but 270 is a huge waste of ISO.
    Level 222 is more than enough.

Note: Lady Thor should definitely take priority over Fury. But XF takes priority over everything.
  • So, I am currently leveling my Fury, and I love him. Got in to 245 at 5/5/3. Purple is a great ability, but still does a good job at 3. As I will run him with xforce, though, I am always prioritizing green, black, and blue before purple or yellow. His blue is DEVASTATING, and not too expensive. And, as someone stated before, is a good defensive deterrant, as a combo of him and xforce can cause a lot of trouble, because you can only deny so many colors.

As for leveling Fury or Thoress, I am going after Fury as I have him cover maxed. Sure, if they were the same level and cover maxed, I'd probably go Thoress, but that isn't the case.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    babinro wrote:
    Fury is pure FUN.

I consider his strongest build to be 355 but I personally run 553 because executing a perfect yellow is FUN and pretty much leads to victory. He's a strong character but he's not a game changer in any way.

His strongest asset is just that he's a deterrent defensively. If I leave LR with XF/featured/Fury I never seem to get hit. Meanwhile if I leave it with XF/feature/Hood (a team that's easily stronger) then I'll get hit from time to time. The same is true in PvP at least until you break 1000 or so.

I'd compare Fury to a character like Black Panthor. He's very strong but has no lasting power and eats up health packs in short order. Though unlike BP, Fury has a strong offensive blue and purple power which is lacking in this game (blue less so these days).

I often have 2 problems...getting 12 yellow quick and then missing either a pivotal red/green match. Or having a rainbow colour but being stuck at 9 or 11 yellow. Unless you have a lucky board with multiple line matches or you're bringing in AP boosts...Fury's yellow is not about killing quickly with consistency.

Note: Lady Thor should definitely take priority over Fury. But XF takes priority over everything.

offensively 5/5/3 is the stronger build. Because purple is random and by random I mean it can show up on any color there is no way to protect the tile like some others that have a tile random go to one color, like Psylocke's blue or Punisher's Black, Fury's goes anywhere and you have just as much chance of it being matched right away whether's it's 2 or 3 CD, defensively it's more lethal at 2 because one, the AI will cast yellow whenever, and if placed in a hard to match spot the CD resolving is painful, but....defense is pointless in MPQ
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    babinro wrote:
    Fury is pure FUN.

offensively 5/5/3 is the stronger build. Because purple is random and by random I mean it can show up on any color there is no way to protect the tile like some others that have a tile random go to one color, like Psylocke's blue or Punisher's Black, Fury's goes anywhere and you have just as much chance of it being matched right away whether's it's 2 or 3 CD, defensively it's more lethal at 2 because one, the AI will cast yellow whenever, and if placed in a hard to match spot the CD resolving is painful, but....defense is pointless in MPQ

Eh. Spiderman GSBW gets me above 300 points in LRs frequently.
  • ayatorahxephon
    ayatorahxephon Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    wondering who are top characters to pair with nick exception of the hood who seem very obvious