**** Nick Fury (Director of S.H.I.E.L.D) ****

Options

Comments

• john1620b
    Options
    I think all 4*'s are relatively half-strength for abilities at 70, and full-strength at 270, so it doesn't make sense to add those last levels. For comparison, my level 200 Fury's abilities are:

• Blue: 1388 damage for each trap (694 if you match it)
    • Purple: 3511 damage, with 585 strike tile

Comparing against our very own Dracodad (thanks, Draco) icon_e_smile.gif a level 270 Fury has:

• Blue: 1505 damage for each trap (752 if you match it)
    • Purple: 3809 damage, with 634 strike tile

I assume his Yellow ability is the same. Since he's even squisher than X-Force, and doesn't gain much in ability damage from 200 to 270, I wouldn't recommend leveling him over 221.
  • john1620b wrote:
    I think all 4*'s are relatively half-strength for abilities at 70, and full-strength at 270, so it doesn't make sense to add those last levels. For comparison, my level 200 Fury's abilities are:

Comparing against our very own Dracodad (thanks, Draco) icon_e_smile.gif a level 270 Fury has:

I assume his Yellow ability is the same. Since he's even squisher than X-Force, and doesn't gain much in ability damage from 200 to 270, I wouldn't recommend leveling him over 221.

Out of curiosity and since I like reading analysis threads like this, why do you say level 221 when you say he doesn't get much ability damage from 200-270? Is there another factor I am missing? Health increase perhaps?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    john1620b wrote:

Out of curiosity and since I like reading analysis threads like this, why do you say level 221 when you say he doesn't get much ability damage from 200-270? Is there another factor I am missing? Health increase perhaps?

221 is the absolute farthest you can take a 4* character without having them tank any colors over fully leveled 166's. So this maxes out health and damage, while keeping them hid. Apparently there are decimals in the point value, so if you take Nick Fury to 222, he will say 79 for yellow damage, but actually is 79.xxxx, so when the game looks to see who has a tile, Fury gets it, keeping him at 221 prevents this.
  • john1620b
    Options
    When do 4* characters overtake 3* ones in match damage?
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sorry if this has been asked before, its too many pages.

Do demolition place traps on blue tiles, or on random tiles?
    If on random, how on earth can I protect myself from this power? Juggernaut, Storm, Ragnarok and 1* Hawkeye?
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Wolarsen wrote:
    Sorry if this has been asked before, its too many pages.

Do demolition place traps on blue tiles, or on random tiles?
    If on random, how on earth can I protect myself from this power? Juggernaut, Storm, Ragnarok and 1* Hawkeye?

random, that's why it's so good.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You protect yourself by killing the heck out of Fury. Unless it's used as a team-up, in which case you match tiles from the top of the screen, and pray.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Characters like X-Force and Juggs can destroy the tiles which won't set off the traps. Unfortunately, the resulting cascades are likely to trigger the traps anyway. icon_e_surprised.gif
  • anyone know if there is anypoint in bringing my 1/4/3 Nick fury to level 172?

I have one 3* cover team at about level 134-158 the rest are all 94. For those that have gone thru all the levels, I wonder if he is effective at that level or should I wait for more covers.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    silverrex wrote:
    anyone know if there is anypoint in bringing my 1/4/3 Nick fury to level 172?

I have one 3* cover team at about level 134-158 the rest are all 94. For those that have gone thru all the levels, I wonder if he is effective at that level or should I wait for more covers.

As it's been discussed before, the power of 4*'s revolves around having them fully covered, as levels aren't as important as they are in 3*'s. If you had a 3* Thor at 1/4/3 he would be still strong even if not fully covered, that's not to say your Fury isn't useable, but unless you have a very developed roster, I would work on your other guys while you slow get your Fury covers.
  • vudu3
    Options
    I'm really surprised the best build voting is currently in favor of 3/5/5 because I think 5/5/3 is so much better. Phantron already wrote a dissertation on on the subject so I won't go into as much detail as he has; instead I'll try to make it as simple as possible. Going to 5 in Escape Plan means you steal an extra 6 AP and give you an extra 634 damage because the strike tile will be placed one turn sooner. That's it. The strike tile is placed in the same location as the CD tile so getting it out one turn sooner means you'll only get one extra turn with it.

It's not like Punisher's Molitov where it generates attack tiles in random spots. In Punisher's case, reducing the CD tile by one turn often means the difference between getting an attack tile or not. That attack tile can then stick around for one turn or ten turns and the enemy now has to deal with the attack tile and the original CD tile. If the CD tile manages to stick around for a few turns the effect multiplies because you're generating attack tiles 50% faster at 5 covers vs. 3.
  • Since I finally pulled some Fury covers from Token day (he's all the way up to 1/2/3!) and look at his build, I came to the same conclusion - the benefits of 5 in Yellow seemed to vastly outshine those of 5 Purple.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    I'm really surprised the best build voting is currently in favor of 3/5/5 because I think 5/5/3 is so much better. Phantron already wrote a dissertation on on the subject so I won't go into as much detail as he has; instead I'll try to make it as simple as possible. Going to 5 in Escape Plan means you steal an extra 6 AP and give you an extra 634 damage because the strike tile will be placed one turn sooner. That's it. The strike tile is placed in the same location as the CD tile so getting it out one turn sooner means you'll only get one extra turn with it.

It's not like Punisher's Molitov where it generates attack tiles in random spots. In Punisher's case, reducing the CD tile by one turn often means the difference between getting an attack tile or not. That attack tile can then stick around for one turn or ten turns and the enemy now has to deal with the attack tile and the original CD tile. If the CD tile manages to stick around for a few turns the effect multiplies because you're generating attack tiles 50% faster at 5 covers vs. 3.

It's not that simple though. Reducing the cd tile from 3 to 2 matters immensely if the CD tile is destroyed during the enemy's 2nd turn: having the CD get off 1 turn earlier could be the difference between getting 8 AP and not getting 3AP, which is more substantial than your analysis. Honestly I think the reason why people like 3/5/5 Fury is because of the "level what you use" argument. Yeah, 5 yellow is better in a vacuum, but how often do you use Fury's yellow vs using Fury's purple? I'd imagine that purple is used far more often because of how few good purple powers there are in this game, so even though the upgrade from 3->5 isn't as great, it's going to be more relevant than the ability that you rarely use. Not to mention that you have to hoard 5 green and 5 blue to get any utility on Fury's yellow to begin with for levels 4 and 5.
  • vudu3
    Options
    TBH there's a pretty good chance I already drained the enemies' strongest color using Surgical Strike.

AP Steal linked to a CD tile is far too unreliable to count on. Same goes for the strike tile. I tend to use Escape Plan the same way I use Molitov--as a pure damage dealer. If I happen to get any of the secondary benefits it's a nice bonus but I'm not going to rely on it.
  • First of all the faster CD has no relevance on defense because you can bet if the CD can be destroyed in any way it definitely will be immediately destroyed against a human player.

On offense it matters more since more time = more chances for the AI to randomly destroy it, but it's also way easier to setup the correct conditions for Avengers Assemble on offense as well. I'm also finding the stun on level 4 Avengers Assemble to be surprisingly useful when I don't have some kind of ultra cheap combo, which you won't be because you've Nick Fury on the team and he's definitely not someone capable of pulling cheap combos.

Take Thor who has a 8 AP move in his strongest color, if it is equally likely for the AI to have any AP between 0 and 7 AP (we'll ignore the case they just get 8 or more red AP at the end of their turn for you to steal 8 or more) then we get that on average the 9 AP version will steal (0+1+2+3+4+5+6+7/8) = 3.5 AP. The 3 AP version will steal (0+1+2+3+3+3+3+3/8) = 2.25 AP. You steal about 1 more AP on average. In reality it's probably slightly more likely they'll have a value in the 3-7 range versus 1 or 2 though that's not going to make a big difference either way.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    I just like to see that there seems to be an even split 5/5/3 or 3/5/5 amongst his builds, that's a sign that a character was well created as there is no "best build" and for the most part I think Fury's fairly balanced, giving mine is nowhere near close to being leveled and during the BoP event I found him underwhelming, however I also found X-Force underwhelming as well, so obviouly that enviornment is not very kind to 4*'s. I had Fury 3/5/5 since that's how my covers fell, and hardly ever got Escape Plan to resovle for the reasons Phantron has previously stated, and even when it did the strike tile was not around long and I never really stole anything decent from AP. When I switched to 5/5/3, I saw my Escape Plan resolve at about the same rate, meaning not much at all, however Avengers Assemble got massively better and the stun is nice in situations, however having Hulk's Aoe is godly. Honestly aside from the damage, the 2 Hawkeye critical tiles might be the next best thing over Cap's Shields and Widow's stun do to the fact it many times adds another 1K damage to the target and starts cascades, it's just a fun spell and just having the Hulk resolve will do more damage then that strike tile ever will.
  • I have a question about Fury's trap tile, because a weird thing happened to me:

Mine is lv250, 4/5/4. I was playing a match, opposing team only had lazythor and cmag, both at 80% health I think. Had lthor targeted, used trap, enemy set it off next turn, and it killed lthor, and then it moved on to cmag and killed him too.

Most of the time all the traps will detonate at once and down just one character (even if their remaining health is less than the total output of the trap damage), but more rarely, every once it a while, it'll move onto the next character and kill both.

Can anyone explain what I'm seeing? Am I missing something here?
  • JessyC01 wrote:
    I have a question about Fury's trap tile, because a weird thing happened to me:

Mine is lv250, 4/5/4. I was playing a match, opposing team only had lazythor and cmag, both at 80% health I think. Had lthor targeted, used trap, enemy set it off next turn, and it killed lthor, and then it moved on to cmag and killed him too.

Most of the time all the traps will detonate at once and down just one character (even if their remaining health is less than the total output of the trap damage), but more rarely, every once it a while, it'll move onto the next character and kill both.

Can anyone explain what I'm seeing? Am I missing something here?

Weird things happen when multiple traps are triggered in a single match. They're supposed to have been fixed but I don't think it's all fixed.
  • So: Nick Fury.

When he was released it seemed like he was going to be the most powerful character in the game. Sure he's been eclipsed by X-Force but it's still kind of amazing how rarely I see him.

I'm I've got 13 covers for him and am really starting to wonder whether he's worth leveling. Do any of you actually use him?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes. He's fun, but slow. But his colors work well with XForce, so no matter what the board, you'll always be able to feed something nasty.