**** Nick Fury (Director of S.H.I.E.L.D) ****

Options

Comments

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    hamsingame wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Enemy IM made a match 4 that included 2 traps - those two went off and killed IM.
    Then the rest of the traps detonated and killed the enemy Thor.

That ability is insane.

That behaviour has happened for me once, but other times not. Can you recall off-hand if the traps from the actual match would have downed the current target? Maybe that's when it'll chew through 2 guys?

Edit: Some damage data. At level 209, Iron Man did 2543 damage, Hulk did 1281

If those numbers are correct the rough estimate is that you could increase those dmgs by about 41%. So IM would do roughly 3585 and Hulk about 1806 dmg.

While this won't do as much as a Thor Lightning Strike/Call of the Storm combo, it will do a fair amount of dmg as well.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    hamsingame wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Enemy IM made a match 4 that included 2 traps - those two went off and killed IM.
    Then the rest of the traps detonated and killed the enemy Thor.

That ability is insane.

That behaviour has happened for me once, but other times not. Can you recall off-hand if the traps from the actual match would have downed the current target? Maybe that's when it'll chew through 2 guys?
    I think they would have, yeah. I'll pay attention next time.
    So I've tried this twice more, and both times all traps detonated and killed just the enemy that set them off, even though only the first set of traps would have been needed.
    Huh.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm not seeing where people get this trap spread out damage amongst the available targets thing. I've tried it several times by getting Daken down to 1 trap killable range and the guys behind him never got hurt when he matched the multiple traps I have out.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I'm not seeing where people get this trap spread out damage amongst the available targets thing. I've tried it several times by getting Daken down to 1 trap killable range and the guys behind him never got hurt when he matched the multiple traps I have out.

I have had it happen once or twice, I don't recall the circumstances though
  • Unknown
    Options
    nisamun wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

The traps do cause the tile they're on to go away which may cause cascades, so if you've a significant strike tile out (like Escape Plan) you can also do a lot of damage with the cascade. But I sure have yet to see the traps damage the guy beyond whoever tripped them.
  • Unknown
    Options
    nisamun wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

It works only if you make a match with two or more traps at the same time.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    nisamun wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

If so, this might be a bug. Maybe each matched trap triggered the total damage separately?
  • hamsingame
    hamsingame Posts: 66 Match Maker
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    If so, this might be a bug. Maybe each matched trap triggered the total damage separately?

I think this might be right. I remember a specific instance last night where the AI made a match 4, which caused them to gain AP from 2 different trap tiles, and two of the enemy team just fell over.
  • Unknown
    Options
    hamsingame wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:

I think this might be right. I remember a specific instance last night where the AI made a match 4, which caused them to gain AP from 2 different trap tiles, and two of the enemy team just fell over.

Patch R57: Nick Fury now correctly only blows up one dude if two bombs are matched simultaneously.

They really ought to make a beta client - I can only imagine how much it would speed up/improve their character output if we could all test things in development.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options

Patch R57: Nick Fury now correctly only blows up one dude if two bombs are matched simultaneously.

They really ought to make a beta client - I can only imagine how much it would speed up/improve their character output if we could all test things in development.

And we'd gladly do it for free! A beta client with unlimited hp/iso to test characters with-- of course not linked to PVP or PVE just a simulator
  • Unknown
    Options
    eidehua wrote:

And we'd gladly do it for free! A beta client with unlimited hp/iso to test characters with-- of course not linked to PVP or PVE just a simulator

The problem with having a test server with built in infinite resources is that you might get a lot of F2P guys just move to that server instead. Sure you can technically do that right now by cheating, but if given the choice between cheating your way to infinite HP/iso or having that endorsed by the company, I'm pretty sure people will still pick the latter. Maybe you can only access this server if your account is in good standing, like say require having a 3000 season rating at some point, not because doing well in seasons mean anything, but that having such a score means you likely play the game at least somewhat regularly and not just someone looking for a place where you can max boost Sentry + Daken every fight for fun. Yes, it probably doesn't matter if someone's just doing that for fun, but given the game's server issues I'd rather not have too many freeloaders that's just doing stuff for fun on a test server simply due to performance issues.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah, of course it should be a limited server. Only select people should be allowed on the test server, and perhaps season score is a way to determine the right people. In addition there can be windows of testing, where the test server is only active for certain periods for each new character/event/etc...
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    I used to play a game where the developers would occasionally invite highly involved, highly skilled, longtime players to play on the same test server as the developers themselves used. Worked great -- you get a lot more people who have a ton of experience in spotting gamebreaking balance stuff looking at things before they go live.

There are two issues though: 1, you need to have that test server set up so that you can invite an arbitrary person to use it but lock it down against everyone else, which is not exactly rocket science but it does take some time and maintenance; 2, you have to be very certain that every person you invite is both going to contribute utility regularly and isn't going to spill the beans to anyone.

#2 in particular gets tricky when you have people who've seen the new content before it comes out and have playtested it, so know something about strategy, but aren't allowed to tell people in their alliance what they know. Given how frequently people are called out around here for cheating, how long do you think that arrangement is going to last?
  • Unknown
    Options
    I used to play a game where the developers would occasionally invite highly involved, highly skilled, longtime players to play on the same test server as the developers themselves used. Worked great -- you get a lot more people who have a ton of experience in spotting gamebreaking balance stuff looking at things before they go live.

There are two issues though: 1, you need to have that test server set up so that you can invite an arbitrary person to use it but lock it down against everyone else, which is not exactly rocket science but it does take some time and maintenance; 2, you have to be very certain that every person you invite is both going to contribute utility regularly and isn't going to spill the beans to anyone.

#2 in particular gets tricky when you have people who've seen the new content before it comes out and have playtested it, so know something about strategy, but aren't allowed to tell people in their alliance what they know. Given how frequently people are called out around here for cheating, how long do you think that arrangement is going to last?

The problem with that is almost every highly skilled player has his own agenda too in a competitive game. The guy who Sentry bombs his enemy to oblivion is probably not going to tell you why Sentry is overpowered and they're probably going to account for most of your top players since that's the right thing to do in PvP right now. I've seen plenty of 'top player summit' and the vast majority of the time you find out either those guys actually don't know nothing about the game or that they pretend they know nothing about the game if you ask them for anything that'd threaten their go-to style of playing.
  • The Finn
    The Finn Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So now that Fury's covers are all out in the wild, what's the final verdict on him? Is he as OP as he looks on paper? How does it rank? I have to assume he'd land in the top tier, e.g. Top 5?

I don't see myself having a usable Samuel L any time soon (ever?) but he's definitely in my wish list.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Can't see anyone not going 3/5/5 with him because those powers are that good. Yellow just requires too much AP for proper use.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yea 3/5/5 is the way to go. Yellow needs a lot of ap generation. Nicks a beast for PVE
  • Unknown
    Options
    Except when it's just goons then you are screwed. They need to buff Daredevil the same way with his traps to make him useful. One trap is just so easy to avoid and the game always puts it out in the middle of nowhere. Random my tinykitty!
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Why do you need a 4* to defeat goons? icon_e_confused.gif Wasn't the whole point of Fury to be a decent 4* that gets used for more than just horsing around (beating goons) and tanking?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well since I'll be taking a break from PVP. Goons are what I'll be killing when I can be bothered with the odd PVE event.