**** Nick Fury (Director of S.H.I.E.L.D) ****

Options

Comments

• Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Why I built 3/5/5

I had maxed Fury to 0/5/5 after Season 2 and have played with him soft capped like that. The blue is as already mentioned the absolute best of the three powers.
    So my dilemma was 4/5/4, 5/5/3, or 3/5/5.

4/5/4 was never a real consideration because it **** both yellow and purple.

So 5 purple I've played with and I would say besides the direct damage the CD tile goes off at least half the time and my feel is it is slightly more than that. The AP gain is a random thing that might help but I would say didn't really have an effect. The strike tile late in the game that had an effect. I liked the damage and I like the strike tile.

5 yellow never seemed like a great option when I compare it to the other premiere three-star yellow LThor's Thunder Strike. For the same cost that is the beginning of a game ending sequence of strike/COTS. Fury does direct damage to the primary target from IM and Hulk, crits cause cascades, bw stuns an already pretty damaged primary target and two protect tiles are laid down. That does not have the same impact that LT's yellow has.

Since I will very likely be playing Fury/Thor/Hood, HT or Psy for the rainbow coverage it really was the right build for the way I want to play.

Hopefully one of the 5/5/3 guys will chime in with why they went that way.
  • darthmental
    darthmental Posts: 104
    Options
    Can anyone lend me $100 so I can max him please? icon_e_wink.gif

That only gets you 8 covers. Still not max'd sadly enough.

Lol dammit!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Can always count on you for the math, Phantron. icon_razz.gif Regarding The Hood's conflicting yellow ability, that's true, but Twin Pistols is a strong enough ability that I don't actually mind the AI using it instead of NF's yellow.

If someone who's built 5/5/3 does pop in, do you suppose you could also upload a video of the full animation? Most of us are unlikely to ever see a 5 yellow NF fire off.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One could ask the question. Is 5 in blue overkill? As far as I can see the trap damage always remains the same, it's the number of traps. So a maxed Fury would be

Lvl 3 Blue--6020 Dmg
    Lvl 4 Blue--7525 Dmg
    Lvl 5 Blue--10535 Dmg

As long as you have 5 Red when you cast Fury's yellow, you are going to do about the same amount of dmg as purple does and at the same cost. On paper, I think you want a least a lvl 4 in yellow to get a decent amount out of the skill. I'm assuming if it triggers in order, it goes protect, direct dmg, crit tiles, and assuming the target is still alive, then it gets stunned. I'm wondering if more than half the time you'll kill the target and it will stun the second.

I don't know, running the scenarios over and over in my head, I just can't see not wanting 5 blue, it's too good, it may be overkill, but it also may allow you to one shot some guys. It really I think comes down to purple vs. yellow. I wish we knew what all the numbers are because it could potentially rival Thor's Lightning Strike. If you have the red and green when you activate it, it potentially could do more dmg than lightning strikes initial, and more AoE then Call of the Storm. If that is the case I think I would gladly give up random AP and a strike tile for that.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Blue's max damage is overkill but you should expect to blow up some of your traps. Certainly on defense the AI won't be trying to preserve your traps, and even on offense you shouldn't turn down a match 4 just because some of your traps will do half damage, so the extra traps gives you more room to work with.

Purple is better for defense while yellow is better for offense, and since anybody who can afford to max out Nick Fury isn't going to need help winning games on offense, purple is likely a better overall choice. Since the purple already has a high failure rate when used defensively (if it's placed on any available match it's obviously gone) it really helps to have the CD lowered by one to make sure it sticks around.

I wonder if people will start using Falcon to counter Nick Fury though. Falcon pretty much unconditionally counters that ability. A 5/5/3 Fury + Falcon would be very hard for a 3/5/5 Fury with anyone else to handle, but this team might not do well against other teams. If Daken didn't have a blue power, 5/5/3 Fury + Falcon + Daken would be awesome, but Daken's blue completely ruins your own team.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Since the purple already has a high failure rate when used defensively (if it's placed on any available match it's obviously gone) it really helps to have the CD lowered by one to make sure it sticks around.

This is why I think NF ideally runs with at least one other special tile generator.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Since the purple already has a high failure rate when used defensively (if it's placed on any available match it's obviously gone) it really helps to have the CD lowered by one to make sure it sticks around.

This is why I think NF ideally runs with at least one other special tile generator.

That'd only matter against Falcon. Since Escape Plan tile can be placed on any random tile, we should assume that when used defensively, if it's placed on anything that can be matched immediately then of course a human will immedately get rid of it due to its immense threat value. Now this actually leads to two completely different solutions. You can say if it has an especially high failure rate on defense maybe you should go 5 yellow instead. Or you can say then we better have the CD reduced to 2 turns to make sure the times where it is not placed on an immediate match actually resolves.

Can D3 or someone provide the actual stats of Nick Fury's yellow? It's hard to compare 'CD down to 2 turn' versus "Hulk is ready to smash things'.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

That'd only matter against Falcon. Since Escape Plan tile can be placed on any random tile, we should assume that when used defensively, if it's placed on anything that can be matched immediately then of course a human will immedately get rid of it due to its immense threat value. Now this actually leads to two completely different solutions. You can say if it has an especially high failure rate on defense maybe you should go 5 yellow instead. Or you can say then we better have the CD reduced to 2 turns to make sure the times where it is not placed on an immediate match actually resolves.

Can D3 or someone provide the actual stats of Nick Fury's yellow? It's hard to compare 'CD down to 2 turn' versus "Hulk is ready to smash things'.

yeah those numbers would really help me sway which way I will end up going (ha like i'll ever max him). But just for curiotisy's sake I would also like to know. Because from rumours it sounds like IM hits for about 3500 dmg, and if Hulk comes in and does an AoE Thunderous clap for like 1200 dmg, then Fury's yellow is Thor's Lightning Strike and Call of the Storm all in one
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    yeah those numbers would really help me sway which way I will end up going (ha like i'll ever max him). But just for curiotisy's sake I would also like to know. Because from rumours it sounds like IM hits for about 3500 dmg, and if Hulk comes in and does an AoE Thunderous clap for like 1200 dmg, then Fury's yellow is Thor's Lightning Strike and Call of the Storm all in one

Well the only really relevent part is comparing the additional effect of level 5 of yellow versus the additional effect level 5 of purple. The extra AP steal versus stun are both weak effects and can be safely ignored. Unfortuantely, not knowing what Hulk is actually doing makes it pretty hard to compare as an ability.
  • Unknown
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

99% sure, hulk isn't Thunderous, it's the smash animation
  • Unknown
    Options
    I find it dumb that a 4 star level 270 character has less health than a 3 star character level 166. Hulk, lazy thor and sentry all have more health than fury. Am I the only one that finds that disturbing?
  • Unknown
    Options
    mockingjay wrote:
    I find it dumb that a 4 star level 270 character has less health than a 3 star character level 166. Hulk, lazy thor and sentry all have more health than fury. Am I the only one that finds that disturbing?

In comic terms, considering Fury is just a human, no. X-force has less than all of them.
  • Unknown
    Options
    nisamun wrote:
    mockingjay wrote:

In comic terms, considering Fury is just a human, no. X-force has less than all of them.

It does make a degree of sense. Hulk is the next best thing to indestructible, Sentry is a cosmic-level power, and Thor's a god. NF, on the other hand, controls and manipulates people of their level of power. You could argue that his HP is representative of the defenses he's constructed around himself, rather than the actual resilience of his body.

The Hood has less HP than 2* Thor and Ares.
  • Unknown
    Options
    nisamun wrote:
    mockingjay wrote:

It does make a degree of sense. Hulk is the next best thing to indestructible, Sentry is a cosmic-level power, and Thor's a god. NF, on the other hand, controls and manipulates people of their level of power. You could argue that his HP is representative of the defenses he's constructed around himself, rather than the actual resilience of his body.

The Hood has less HP than 2* Thor and Ares.

Very well said and i agree. The hood thing is also crazy, but if your going by what they really are in the comics, movies or cartoons rather than the 4 or 3 star thing, then it does make perfect sense
  • Unknown
    Options
    For anyone questioning 5 blue, it's the best power in the game. You can say it's overkill but it isn't everytime. In fact I have killed all 3 players on the other team with one go of demolition. If the match detonates more than 1 bomb, then only a select number go off to kill that player. Followed by the next set to kill the next player. If more than one is detonated in a matchup, you will mostly likely win the match in that turn. 5 blue is simply insane.

Also, 5 purple is the way to go I think. Purple is a rare color to have a good power in, and this power deals sick damage, steals AP, and leaves a MASSIVE strength tile. It's pure devastation ESPECIALLY with Lazy Thor.

I'm going to use them and BP and devastate every color on the rainbow. Nick Fury is a beast.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The HP of a character isn't some representation of how strong they're in their respective universe or you'd have matchup where your opponents die immediately for being too weak compared to a god like Thor, or the other way around. Characters with a lot of HP aren't supposed to have powerful moves, while characters with little HP are supposed to have devastating moves. Of course, this model fails horribly with Thor and Sentry, who have a ton of HP and devastating moves, but those two characters are incredibly overpowered in general. Hulk is a good representation of the kind of ability a high HP character should have. It's annoying and can lead to some dangerous situation, but you'd certainly prefer a Thunderous Clap over most a Sniper Rifle.
  • Unknown
    Options
    For anyone questioning 5 blue, it's the best power in the game. You can say it's overkill but it isn't everytime. In fact I have killed all 3 players on the other team with one go of demolition. If the match detonates more than 1 bomb, then only a select number go off to kill that player. Followed by the next set to kill the next player. If more than one is detonated in a matchup, you will mostly likely win the match in that turn. 5 blue is simply insane.

Waaaiiiit...wait wait wait - *only* enough traps detonate to kill a character? If you have more than you need, the excess remain undetonated to be used later?

O.O
  • Unknown
    Options

Waaaiiiit...wait wait wait - *only* enough traps detonate to kill a character? If you have more than you need, the excess remain undetonated to be used later?

O.O

Yes. It happens in the same move, but essentially that is what happens. I've been doing it in all my PVP matches. It's awesome when I get 20 AP because I have 14 bombs, and pretty much just win on the next turn.
  • Unknown
    Options

O.O

I think he's saying the bombs you detonate on your own matches is enough to kill people too. Remember you get half the value and half of 10K is still 5K and can certainly blow up multiple guys when you use them yourself.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:

O.O

I think he's saying the bombs you detonate on your own matches is enough to kill people too. Remember you get half the value and half of 10K is still 5K and can certainly blow up multiple guys when you use them yourself.

No that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying in the same move if the match matches 2 or more of the bombs, it will divide the explosions to only using what is needed to kill the opponent, then using the remainder for the next one.