PSA: Welcome To Our New Forum!

Options

Comments

• jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Really not a fan of the way the new forum handles links to external websites. It is a waste of time to have a popup telling me I am leaving the forum. It's also breaking the links whenever they contain ampersand characters. For example, in the event threads, there are links to timers for each slice's end time. The URL should be 
    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20170412T14&p0=64&msg=Heavy+Metal+Slice+5

The URL is being changed to
    https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20170412T14&amp%3bp0=64&amp%3bmsg=Heavy+Metal+Slice+5
    That is causing the timezone and custom message to revert to the website's default settings, which is a generic message and the user's local timezone. Since I am using the Central timezone end times, the countdowns will only be correct for others in the same timezone.

I am also noticing that I am sometimes unable to scroll down using the scroll wheel. Haven't been able to notice a pattern yet, but it is quite annoying.
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    pheregas said:
    Is there any actual benefit to linking accounts?
    The only reason I did it was as a security measure.  A Twitter.com login is using HTTPS, meaning my username and password are encrypted when talking to the server.  

Right now the forum site isn't doing HTTPS, and if you try to access https://forums.d3go.com it says it's using an invalid certicate from Vanilla Communities -- presumably the makers of this forum software -- and its domain name doesn't match the site; Google Chrome tells you not to trust it and redirects you away.  (You can click Advanced and continue on, since at least the connection is encrypted but it's a pain to always do that.)  

I have an aversion to sending usernames/passwords on a non-encrypted connection from years of IT/web work.  It's ridiculously easy for someone to grab your login info if you're on an untrustworthy network (like a free Wi-Fi hotspot), or even if you are somewhere you think is safe... all it takes is for someone watching the Web traffic going to d3go's forum server to grab everyone's passwords.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Why did my post get flagged for spam?  I've got just as much right to list my pros-and-cons about the new forum as any other reader.  It was only my second post of bullets, my first post was a list of my first impressions, my second was additional things I noted after additional use.  I'm not the only person with multiple posts in this thread.  So why did I get dinged?  What did I do wrong?  No, seriously, not just complaining about it, I really want to know... ???
  • mattonline
    mattonline Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Is there an option to add the post time to the post date? I missed it if there is. Really helpful for the bracket size threads to know when on a certain day a slice count was posted. 

Also I miss having the page numbers in the mobile view. 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just popped in to check, it still sucks, no comment I can find from someone in charge, back in a couple of days.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Is there an option to add the post time to the post date? I missed it if there is. Really helpful for the bracket size threads to know when on a certain day a slice count was posted. 

Also I miss having the page numbers in the mobile view. 
    Probably doesn't help on mobile, but in a desktop browser you can hover over the date if there's no time displayed and it will show a timestamp. But with all the wasted screen real estate, it seems silly not to display both the time and date.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    rainkingucd said:Pylgrim said:
    The amount of lost functionality and ease of use to gain some dubious cosmetic updates and superfluous features is hard to believe and it came at the cost of destroying guides painstakingly made over the years now that the links don't work and the formatting is so different. I hate to complain about this because complaints about change are always easy to dismiss as cantankerous resistance, but man, was this a bad and unnecessary change.

Also, in all honesty, I may be extra salty due to the loss of my reputation (upvotes:posts) which was among the top 10 in the forums after 3 years of posting.
    This is where I am at the moment.  The forums advantage comes from it's users.  For years, most of the content has been user generated.  If the structural changes meant a loss in function for some of the guides (i.e. lists, font size/colour, spoilers), okay yeah, we need to adjust.  Change is fine, it'll work eventually, we all need to adapt.  Things can't remain static so no big deal.  

What really took the wind out of my sails is the broken links for things like Compendiums (Character, PVP, PVE), the guides, or anything that has a link in it.  I trawled the forums to try and create a comprehensive list of PVE history, with much of it coming from the previous work of people like @lukewin , @Quebbster , @aesthetocyst, and yourself.  All those links are gone.  I've not got the heart to find them all again.   

Although it's like you said, I may be extra salty because of all the work I put into in the PVE Compendium & threads.

And I miss my character icons:  I may not understand the acronym, but I assumed WYSIWYG didn't mean a hidden list of url's to character images.  
    what you see is what you get

also, posting on mobile is... awkward, to say the least.

and still no idea about those “new topics/active topics“ link.

isnt it enough we have a buggy game, now we have an inferior platform, too?
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's pretty awful design wise.  Seems like a default theme with a "build your own website" site.

I can at least see the comments now, if you have an ad blocker you can probably hide the giant header image and the rotating new discussion thing at the top.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I also kinda miss having moderators in green and devs in red.  It was an instant notification that "something happened."
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    deadtaco said:
    It's pretty awful design wise.  Seems like a default theme with a "build your own website" site.

I can at least see the comments now, if you have an ad blocker you can probably hide the giant header image and the rotating new discussion thing at the top.
    An ad-blocker can, indeed, hide the giant header image. I haven't tried to hide the highlighted discussions, though.
  • Sykobanana
    Sykobanana Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thankyou for fixing the footer so i can see options there and moving the feature posts to the bottom (well on the general discussion page anyway).   

I was losing confidence that anyone inside were looking at posts.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I was looking a bit at my badges today and then realized I seem to be the only one who has gotten the badge for more than 5000 posts so far. I knew I was chatty, but not that I was the chattiest one on the entire forum.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,371 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanks for removing the obnoxious 'featured posts' bar, and the grey-on-white text. I still think the forum banners are way too large as well, though...

Any word on an 'Active topic' listing? @Brigby ?
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yes, nice, the message text is darkier, very welcome ;)
  • Khanwulf
    Khanwulf Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Well, I can say the forum migration has removed the single useful tool that was my daily go-to: the list of recent posts per user.

I used to be able to easily keep track of updates by hitting your (@Brigby) profile, posts, and then seeing your activity to identify where new info might have been applied. Now there is just a list of discussion threads started, which is not helpful.

Not an improvement.

--Khanwulf
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Brigby 

Any word on whether the icon tool from the old forum will be returning?  

I'm talking specifically about these:

They were fairly useful, but are not something that exist on this new forum unless you take the time to find the images and copy/paste the url every time instead of just accessing a post tool.
  • Steellatch
    Steellatch Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    well they removed the "lol" and "offtopic" votes. right when I started using offtopic as a downvote in many cases. :(
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    well they removed the "lol" and "offtopic" votes. right when I started using offtopic as a downvote in many cases. :(
    And that's exactly why it was removed. People were abusing the features and using them in ways that were not intended.
  • Steellatch
    Steellatch Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    Ducky said:
    And that's exactly why it was removed. People were abusing the features and using them in ways that were not intended.
    In my case I was rationalizing my choices very well. Can't speak for others but mine made sense.