PSA: Welcome To Our New Forum!

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    ammenell said:
    still no active topics button.
    don't write something which might get you banned don't write something which might get you banned don't write something which might get you banned don't write something which might get you banned don't write something which might get you banned 

seriously.
    User banned for text repetition.

... kidding, kidding.

I'll follow up with Brigby to see if there's any chance at an "active topics" view.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the "discussions" counter beside each forum may be broken. The News & Announcements counter jumped up from 574 to 578 today even though no new announcements are to be found.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just ran across something that makes navigation on the new site a bit less tedious. If you are using Adblock, you can right-click on the enormous banner plastered at the top of the page and block it. That saves a little time every refresh so you don't have to scroll down past the banner. 
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Thank you for the arrow at the bottom that takes you back to the top!
    Thank you for fixing the links!

An odd thing I noticed... I typed "heck" and the filter changed it to tinykitty, I noticed when I was re-reading my post... then I went in to edit it because I found a typo further down, and in the content of the post it had changed the tinykitty to a different version of the word I used... then when I saved the changes and it want back live, the language filter didn't work and didn't change the word back into tinykitty.  So my clean version of an eternal torment was retranslated back to the unclean version (why its unclean... i don't know) and then not filtered... the forum actually forced me to curse and then not hide it... glad I caught it and changed it back to the clean version... but I thought you might like to know.  This way someone doesn't get dinged for skirting the filter somehow when they weren't intending to do it.  The language filter may need some tweaking when it comes to editing a post.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing... I miss the thread title being on each post... with so many comments that veer in various directions, it's super easy to forget what thread you are in... especially when conversations sometimes carry over from thread to thread.  Right now, the only way to be reminded what thread you are in is to go back to the top.  Others may not get lost, but I have a tendency to forget when people say the same thing in various threads.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    active topics yadda yadda active topics.
    but you had the time to update the forum rules, awesome.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Okay, so it's been a month now since the new forums went up. I wasn't outright thrilled from the start, but I thought it might just be me having to get used to the new design.

But I still think the boards are hard to navigate (the navigation still feels slow, too), the board indexes are cluttered and bloated, and the recent trend of enforcing forum rules more strictly tends to leave redirect link topics for more clutter as well. And yeah, still no 'active topics'.

/rant

/Edit: decided to do some custom css editing too, to make the boards more bearable. Thought I'd share my hacks here. Note that I'm usually visiting the forums with FireFox. But hacking custom styles should be possible with most (all?) major browsers. Also not that I'm not a designer so it might look ugly for you. And that this is a quick hack, so it's probably sloppy:

/edit2: board insists on turning css in code block to garbage, so here's a pastebin.
    Place this in a custom css file (instructions for how to do this in firefox).
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    The messaging system seem really limited on the current forum. No way to organise into folders let alone delete messages.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've noticed that you can see the name of the people that Like or find your post Insightful... but you can also see who exactly "Flagged" you too.  I'm not sure that is a good idea.  The Flag should be just a number, and not identify who has flagged you.  I'd hate to see someone get targeted because they flagged someone's post(s).

It's fine if you see it as mods or admins, but I think for general population it should be anonymous.

Is there a way to fix editing?  When you first make a comment that includes a quote it automatically minimizes the previous quote trail and does the language filter.  If you go in and edit your post, the language filter doesn't apply after the initial post and the quote trail is no longer minimized.

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    As of today or yesterday, the post dates in the colored header on each post are now dark grey on blue/green/red for me, in Chrome. They're really, really hard to read. Just me, or is this an everyone thing?

It's tolerable on the Green headers but pretty much impossible on the dark blue.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    As of today or yesterday, the post dates in the colored header on each post are now dark grey on blue/green/red for me, in Chrome. They're really, really hard to read. Just me, or is this an everyone thing?

It's tolerable on the Green headers but pretty much impossible on the dark blue.
    We brought this up to Brigby earlier today and it was added to the list of things to fix. Not sure why it happened tho.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    My guess is that it happened at the same time that the links became visible in the user comments and topics bit. Some accidental piggybacked CSS change probably. 

Liking the visible links, though. Those are nice.
  • DeNappa
    I have another major annoyance. The text editor doesn't respect some basic default keyboard navigation commands. I'm used to be able to quickly navigate around texts with Ctrl-Left arrow and Ctrl-Right arrow.  (For those not in the know: in just about all editors these commands move the cursor to the beginning of the previous or next word). This allows quick navigation to typos or to a position you want to insert a missing or required words, quick selection of (part of) texts or segments, etc.

Can this be fixed?

I noticed this is purely the 'fancy editor' at fault; if you toggle to the 'HTML view', the text box behaves normally.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @DeNappa
    That's peculiar. I'm able to use the CTRL + Left / Right hotkeys to navigate from word to word just fine. What browser are you on? Perhaps that might attribute to the reason you're unable to utilize that feature. 
  • DeNappa
    edited May 2017
    @Brigby I'm mainly using Firefox to browse the forums.

/edit: that is, the latest version of FF on windows.

Out of curiosity I just tested it in Chrome and Vivaldi, and it seems to be working there. So it's definitely browser related :anguished:
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @DeNappa
    Hmmmmm interesting. I'll pass this along to the web developer to inform them this issue is occurring, but that it seems to be browser related. Thanks for the info!
  • Ducky
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussions

You can thank me later :)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Ducky said:
    3 questions:
    1.  Is there going to be a link to that somewhere?
    2.  Why is the top thing on page 1 a locked topic from 2015?
    3.  Is there a way to filter this to just MPQ and not have Magic posts?

Edited to ask a 3rd.
  • Ducky
    broll said:
    Ducky said:
    3 questions:
    1.  Is there going to be a link to that somewhere?
    2.  Why is the top thing on page 1 a locked topic from 2015?
    3.  Is there a way to filter this to just MPQ and not have Magic posts?

Edited to ask a 3rd.
    1. No idea, that's a question for @Brigby
    2. It's a stickied topic that I can resticky so it doesn't show up there.
    3. At the moment there is not and from what I gather it likely won't be possible anytime soon, if at all.
  • Ducky
    @MoosePrime Thanks for the pro tip! That should be of great help to forumgoers!