PSA: Welcome To Our New Forum!

Options

Comments

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ugh, and the large-font quoting has got to go. Very few people ever edit their quotes, which is going to make quote cascades require the user to scroll down roughly the height of the Empire State Building.
    When you see how badly the forum handles editing quotes (you cannot delete them completely, can get the cursor stuck inside them etc.) it isn't surprising that a lot of people choose not to mess around and edit down their quotes to the more relevant part.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    i can't figure how to edit my old forum posts.  Anyone figure how?  

also all the links in my old guides that link to other pages in the old forum are now broken.  Very frustrating.  
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    TimGunn said:
    i can't figure how to edit my old forum posts.  Anyone figure how?  

also all the links in my old guides that link to other pages in the old forum are now broken.  Very frustrating.  
    Can't you "make it work" somehow though?
    Sorry, couldn't resist...   o:)
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    oh i see on the new post i made, there is a little tool wheel in the upper right, it says "edit (1 hour)".  Does this mean we can only edit for an hour after we post?  how are we supposed to do guides? 
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    We definitely need the ability to edit old posts. There are oodles of guides and FAQs on this forum that have been constantly updated for (literally) years.

In the old forum there was also a way to set another user as a "foe" so all of their posts were hidden by default. I don't seem to see that option in the new version.

The character/game-related emojis (like icon_bladepngblackflagpng  ) need to be migrated over for easy use as well.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why can I sometimes use my mouse scroll bar on the forum and sometimes not?   I didn't know how much I used it until I suddenly couldn't.  
  • Kojubat
    Kojubat Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Eichen said:
    I used to be able to click on a red nane and search their posts. I could click on brigby and it would show new each of your comments. Now when I click your name it just shows me each topic you commented on. 
    You'll want to click on Comments on the right hand side of the person's profile. It will display at the bottom all of their comments. We're going to talk with the designer about if it's possible to add the URL link to the thread where that comment exists.
    Actually, the link is there. It's just white font on white background, for whatever reason. Highlight one comment through to the next, and there will be an information line about the comment that is clickable.

What is missing, as far as I can tell, is the ability to follow a quote back to the original. For example, the only active links in the part I have quoted take you to the user's profile instead of the comment they posted.
  • Killians8
    Killians8 Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Is there still a way to move to the "last unread post" in a topic? I don't see it yet. Losing that would be a major time killer to try and remember which page you left off on each topic you're trying to catch up on.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    Killians8 said:
    Is there still a way to move to the "last unread post" in a topic? I don't see it yet. Losing that would be a major time killer to try and remember which page you left off on each topic you're trying to catch up on.
    When you enter a thread you've viewed before, it will automatically take you to the latest new posts.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Anyone knows how to disable "Featured Posts" at the top of the forum ? It is so distracting. The exact same info are posted a few line below.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sorry if this has already been said, but the folks responsible should know that most links to the old forum result in a message saying "The forum is currently unavailable due to scheduled migration over to the new forum. Thank you for your patience."

I'm not sure how many times I checked my bookmarks before realizing the forums were back up but the bookmarks were broken.  Maybe it could at least say "Come see the new forums!"
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can we make the MPQ logo banner about 20% the size it currently is?  Thanks!
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    1. Soooooooooo much wasted space. As others have said, the fixed column in the middle is using one third of the unsuable/readable space on the screen. 
    2. Tiny pale gray font on white. Awful.
    3. Ginormous header pushing all content beneath the fold. I can't understand why you guys keep doing that. It's basic design 101. It's almost like you don't want this to be usable.  
    4. No one has bothered to put a link on the old url/page. 
  • OrionKannan
    OrionKannan Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but not having a "New" tag on the main page to let us know if there are unread posts within each of the sub-form is a little annoying.  Now we have to go into each sub-form to see if something new was posted.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but not having a "New" tag on the main page to let us know if there are unread posts within each of the sub-form is a little annoying.  Now we have to go into each sub-form to see if something new was posted.
    Once you've read a thread, then the "3 New Posts" shows up next to it when new posts appear.

I am finding that I'm missing that little arrow at the side of each post that allowed me to jump back up to the top of the page.
  • OrionKannan
    OrionKannan Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    JVReal said:
    Once you've read a thread, then the "3 New Posts" shows up next to it when new posts appear.

I am finding that I'm missing that little arrow at the side of each post that allowed me to jump back up to the top of the page.
    I can see the "3 new posts" when I go into a sub form (ex: MPQ General Discussion, MPQ Character Discussion, etc); however, from the main form page there is nothing noting that there are new comments within "General Discussion" or "Character Discussion"

• Sykobanana
    Sykobanana Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Bottom banner is to large and covers over topics (mobile).

And seriously...badges?!?!?!  What is the point.....
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    The colors definitely could be a bit more contrasting, and we'll talk with the forum developers about that. The distance between the two boxes is actually the same as our old forum, so I think the grey background is what causes it to appear narrower.

Personally I disliked the previous forum redesign and always used the Old Style "&style=1" option.  Far less wasted space on the page.

One other important thing I noticed: Logins are reporting as not secured, that should absolutely be wrapped up in SSL. 
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Using this forum is a lot of work that wasn't there in the old forum.

1) Scroll down past the featured posts and past the massive banner.
    2) Click to close all of the pop-ups that tell you that someone posted something.