PSA: Welcome To Our New Forum!

Options

Comments

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Another annoying thing would be the featured posts and unnecessarily large mpq banner, it is jarring that they load in after everything else and neither of them are actually useful enough that actual posts are pushed almost entirely off the first page when you go into general discussions.

The broken links for posts that have been migrated over, but not even searching for simple terms works if you are trying to track one of those orphaned posts either, just try searching in the character sub-forum for any character name e.g. carnage and you get zero results.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Another thing that's really annoying is the featured posts bar and the enormous image that's above the boards when you open a forum.
    The featured posts div is taking up vertical space, but what's more it's loaded after a slight delay so it will push the contents of the page down after half a second.
    The large image is just... well, what?

So, if I click on the 'MPQ general discussion' link from tha main forum page, this is what I see: http://imgur.com/a/gX1Hk . Way to go? [sarcasm ;)]

[ /edit: I took too long to construct this post, as it's essentially what @Crowl mentions above me :D ]

• V1rusHunter
    V1rusHunter Posts: 201 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    Options
    New forum feels optimized for mobile browsing but certain features feel lacking or not intuitive.

1. It appears that if I view a topic, then all messages are marked as read. The old forums detected how far your read and allowed you to jump to the spot the next time. 
    2. Notification preferences (email vs pop up) aren't listed in the hamburger menu but only within the toast pop up from the globe lower menu. 
    3. There's no way to skip multiple pages at a time. There's only the >> which should really be a single > as most times >> implies multiple page jumps. The Last button does no good for the General Discussion sub-forum.

I'm sure I'm missing more stuff but this is what I observe after 15 minutes with Be app. 
  • djpt05
    djpt05 Posts: 178
    Options
    My eyes!  My eyes!
  • Jsh2014
    Jsh2014 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Options
    The old forum had a softer look to it this new look bugs my eyes plus ease of topic search seems more difficult.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Forums are a work in progress. It's my understanding that tweaks are going to be made over the next little while to get it to where D3 wants it to be.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's not very mobile friendly from first glance...Haven't really played around with it though.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I only view the forums from a desktop, but I'm immediately struck by how space-inefficient the new layout is. The large vertical banners identifying the poster only reduce the number of posts that can be displayed on one screen, and could easily be placed under the user avatar, where there is a ridiculous amount of empty space. The navigation sidebars are features that I rarely use, so they're more appropriate as a menu, which would allocate still more space for post text.

I'd really love it if the old forum character emoticons (e.g. :hulk:) could get added back soon (and while we're at it, please alphabetize the characters in the selection UI).

And whoever decided that grey on white was a legible color scheme will be receiving my next bill from my ophthalmologist.
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Brigby ... I'm still getting used to the new format, but I have one main question... how do you edit an existing post?  I'm trying to update the Weekly Buffed Characters list and can't find the Edit link...

Also: the icon for Agent Coulson appears to be missing from the new forum (the images is showing as broken in the post I mention above).  And actually... how do we include the character icons in a post now?  It looks like if I do something like :blade: that does nothing.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby ... I'm still getting used to the new format, but I have one main question... how do you edit an existing post?  I'm trying to update the Weekly Buffed Characters list and can't find the Edit link...

Also: the icon for Agent Coulson appears to be missing from the new forum (the images is showing as broken in the post I mention above).  And actually... how do we include the character icons in a post now?  It looks like doing something like :blade: doesn't work right now.
    I don't think the icons have been added yet. Right now it's just a handful of emoji.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Also: the icon for Agent Coulson appears to be missing from the new forum (the images is showing as broken in the post I mention above).  And actually... how do we include the character icons in a post now?  It looks like doing something like :blade: doesn't work right now.
    I don't think the icons have been added yet. Right now it's just a handful of emoji.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ugh, and the large-font quoting has got to go. Very few people ever edit their quotes, which is going to make quote cascades require the user to scroll down roughly the height of the Empire State Building.
  • HobieCat76
    HobieCat76 Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options
    @Brigby - First, apologies, if it's been mentioned previously (above), but the old site is still not redirecting here.  Second, this site is way too painful on the eyes.  I actually started to search for any recent mentions of redirects and my eyes literally started to water and hurt looking at this site.  There's way too much going on and the color contrasts aren't there (grey on white?).  I would take the old site design any day over this.

Good news is that it seems that @ mentions work!  (hopefully)
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Post a new thread with the WYSIWYG editor
    • What you see is what you get! No more struggling to get the HTML code correct, or lining up brackets correctly. Just edit and format your content as you go, like you would for any document or email.

Please let us know if anything doesn’t work the way you expect, or if you have trouble with anything at all.

Thanks again, and we hope you enjoy the new D3 Go forum!

- The D3 Go! Team

I'm hoping a tweak will come out soon to improve certain "default" features of the forum.

I agree that the Giant graphic is too big, but that was the same problem last time you guys updated the site, you eventually toned it down, but I have to know... was it the same guy?

Maybe the avatars can be embedded in the blue title of each individual post instead of outside creating a new margin.  And the stuff eating up space on the right hand side... didn't that stuff used to be on the bottom of the page?  I think it should stay at the bottom.

The light grey text on white background is super difficult to read... especially as I get older and teeter on the edge of needing bi-focal glasses. I figured I'd just change the color of the text to make it easier for others... but I can't.  I thought I'd make the font just a little bit bigger... kind of like the quoted text... but I can't.  Felt kind of misled by the giant quote up above that says "Just edit and format your content as you go, like you would for any document or email".  Even notepad lets you change the font size... and the text box in Paint lets you choose a color.  Also... bold, italics and ... strikethrough?? where's the underline? (had to go into html view to underline;... shouldn't this stuff be available without going to html view?)  Did someone not choose the right editing options to display for us to use?  If someone can customize those, throw in font size and color please.

If you have any links in your sig... they function due to being ported over until you actually go in and edit your sig... then they get stripped out and you have to recreate them.

I do like the blue footer on the page, and I like that the giant graphic disappears once you are in a thread.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'd love a dark theme (black background with white text), or some way to adjust the look of the layout.
    Light grey text on a white background is not easily readable...

Also, when editing the text of a post, for some reason Shift + arrow doesn't work right.  It doesn't go word by word, it just jumps to the very beginning of the entire line, or the very end.  So it's essentially useless.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm sad that I lost all my old likes  :'( Those meant a lot to me!  o:)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not a fan, a lot of wasted space.
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Add me to to the "too much white" list.

No HTTPS is a sin guys.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm still getting used to the new layout, but as some others have pointed, there's room for improvements ;) :
    - Avatars could stay inside the blue title, before the user name;
    - The light color of message text (#888) is hard to read. Something darkier (#333) would be better;
    - Font size of quotes are too big, compared to regular message ones.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is really an archaic looking board.  I'd downvote this, but we can't have nice things.