PSA: Welcome To Our New Forum!

Options

Comments

• DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Any plans to get the custom MPQ smilies back yet? 
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not a fan, but I'll give it time to see if you can make it look not ****.

Anybody else not able to scroll threads etc with mouse wheel?  It's working fine on every other site I visit.
  • Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Sorry to see I can't keep my current signature, or I can keep it but not update it.....

I know moving to a new forum will always bring some startup problems. Previous (custom) functionality has to be reinstated, link locations have been moved, etc. Some will just require the users to get used to them, the rest I hope they get fixed soon :).
  • ClydeFrog76
    Options
    More thoughts:

Get rid of the MASSIVE banner.
    Quote text is way too big.
    Let us disable avatars.

My mouse wheel started scrolling threads for some reason, so that's something I guess.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Well....it looks better on mobile. I guess. There's a ton of wasted space on a desktop though.
  • StreetPreacher
    StreetPreacher Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    Old forum bookmarks aren't working (not sure if this has been mentioned already).
  • Eichen
    Eichen Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Eichen said:
    I used to be able to click on a red nane and search their posts. I could click on brigby and it would show new each of your comments. Now when I click your name it just shows me each topic you commented on. 
    You'll want to click on Comments on the right hand side of the person's profile. It will display at the bottom all of their comments. We're going to talk with the designer about if it's possible to add the URL link to the thread where that comment exists.
    Finally found the comments. It's at the top right not left. 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

There's a heck of a lot of wasted space either side of the narrow column used for comments.

I do like the new voting system, reminds me a little of Slashdot.

If we can't have down-voting, yet we can flag posts as Off Topic, are there other categories we could have, such as Flame-bait, or Informative.

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Brigby said:
    So what you're all saying is that you absolutely love the color scheme, and don't want us to change it at all. Got it. /sarcasm

In all seriousness, we will bring this up with the designers, and we will see what other color schemes we can go with.
    Im going to enjoy messing around with all the new features. 

@Brigby Any tips and tricks I should know about?
    Well one fun new feature is that going back to a previously visited thread will send you to the oldest post you haven't seen yet, not to the first one.

Also...the mention system works.  :p

Can you ask them to stop wasting so much space on a typical widescreen monitor too, only about 40% of the width of the page is used for post text which is actually the important part of a forum, not the other stuff.

Given how little room the actual posts get, can you ask them about making quoting less bloated, there is generally no need on forums to include the quotes of quotes of quotes etc rather than just the specific post you are replying to.

Another issue for them to look into, if you click quote, there appears to be no way to remove that quote from your next post even if you decide not to comment on the post other than manually deleting the entire quote which then leaves a single line of empty quote box in the post instead. After further checking, deleting the quote doesn't help matters because if you then quote somebody else their quote gets nested inside that first one and you are only able to type inside the first quote.

• Crowl
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:
    This is barely readable now and it looks like total garbage. What an upgrade...    everything is just worse.
    Possibly a metaphor for the game itself?  :D

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,297 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How does one do character icons?

Spiderman
    :spiderman:
    Spider-Man

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,370 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Options
    First impressions:

The font of quoted messages is too large. It's like double the size of regular font.

Also, I really dislike the vertical space usage (desktop browser experience). The blue banner with stats above the post and white banner with 'toolbar options' below a post are all irrelevant when you're browsing through a topic (same goes for signatures, but as that was already in place and already kept 'low' I don't mind as much). 

This makes the vspace go like: 
    • Margin
    • Blue banner
    • Blue banner
    • (relevant text)
    • (relevant text)
    • (relevant text)
    • Sig
    • Sig
    • Toolbar
    • Toolbar
    • Margin
    • Blue banner
    • Blue banner
    • (relevant text)
    • Sig
    • Sig
    • Toolbar
    • Toolbar
    • Margin
    See what I mean?

Furthermore, is there an 'Active topics' feature? I can't seem to find one, but on the old forums this was my #1 way of navigating the forums... The 'Activity' list is useless, who cares about who updated their profile pic or earned a comment badge :p.
  • Crowl
    Options
    Given how much space is wasted elsewhere, can we also get a common forum feature added, the ability to not display graphical sigs?
  • ClydeFrog76
    Options
    Crowl said:
    Given how much space is wasted elsewhere, can we also get a common forum feature added, the ability to not display graphical sigs?
    Go to your profile, click on the cog, Edit Profile, Signature Settings.

Not a great UI.
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Eichen said:
    Brigby said:
    Eichen said:
    I used to be able to click on a red nane and search their posts. I could click on brigby and it would show new each of your comments. Now when I click your name it just shows me each topic you commented on. 
    You'll want to click on Comments on the right hand side of the person's profile. It will display at the bottom all of their comments. We're going to talk with the designer about if it's possible to add the URL link to the thread where that comment exists.
    Finally find the comments. It's at the top right not left. 
    The CSS rule in style.css that formats <a> elements on the comment page colors them #fffff . This is pretty readily fixable by the designer but should certainly have been caught before rollout.
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Quite indifferent on the change. It is something I'll get used to eventually.
    BUT!!
    What I used the most in the old forum was the view unread/new posts button. That was really handy to check any topics I would be interested in instead of running around checking each sub forum
  • ArcanaMoon
    ArcanaMoon Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Options
    I´ll put it bluntly... HATE the new forum... at least the typography color, thay soft-grey over with... is just a PAIN in my eyes. Please, make the letter a bit darker, it will greatly thankful
  • Sykobanana
    Sykobanana Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The "Off topic" is just going to be used as a dislike, so why not reintroduce it.  

And do we really need to see how many topics are available for topics on the main page in such large type? We're going to a particular area already, the only people who need to see this are statisticians.  

Will Featured Topics have any controversality, like OML recently, or will they just be anouncements?  Name them correctly if theyre not

And also, if you are reading comments down a page and click on a post to view a link, you have to scroll up to the top to "ok leaving the site". Surely this can be changed....
  • Cymmina
    Cymmina Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    1.  Cool URIs don't break.  This is the golden rule of the internet.  All of the forum threads I have bookmarked?  They look like this:

The forum is currently unavailable due to scheduled migration over to the new forum. Thank you for your patience.

I didn't even realize the forum migration was done because I was looking at one of the subforums rather than the home page.

2. Tiny fonts stopped being in vogue 6 years ago.  Low vision is the probably most common disability among internet users.  I'm not just talking about the blind, but people who are as young as in their 40s that don't see as well as they used to.  Combine this with the poor contrast between the content text and the background and you've got a real losing combination.

3. Like everyone else, I come here to read the content, not look at oversized banners that take up half of my screen's real estate.

4. Responsive Design, ever heard of it?  It's not just for collapsing 2-column layouts into a single layout for narrow viewports.  Stacking all of the content vertically is incredibly lazy and does not take advantage of horizontal space that's available in landscape oriented viewports (ie. desktop).  Because long lines cause eye fatigue, making content sprawl across the entire width of the viewport decreases usability.  If you have the extra space, you're better off making the content multi-column when it makes sense to do so (eg. author, post metadata, etc.).

5. People universally hate change.  If you're going to do it, make sure you're actually making things better.  Some of the changes are pretty tone deaf.

• TadPrime
    TadPrime Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I do not care for it either, mostly because of the truly horrendous amount of wasted space on the page.  I am an information density person and I really despise having to scroll a lot more than necessary because some designer thinks double-space and obnoxiously wide margins is beautiful and thus shoving the meaningful content into a narrow column (on my screen right now, the actual text of a post takes up about 6.5 inches in a 13 inch wide window).

So far I have not been able to find any way to customize anything to get it usable for me (granted, that was just one quick look under settings so far).  Please enable options for us to control font sizing, colors, and spacing.