Dear D3: 8 questions that will help us understand vaulting

Options

Comments

• astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    notamutant wrote:
    I wasn't implying they were trying to do it to stick it to the players. Everything they do is a financial decision. I think you clarified those potential reasons a bit better than I did. Some of the below are legitimate issues, but still based around making more money...

I didn't think that you were saying that D3 was just sticking it to the players, but there were some posts where people seemed to do just that - though, to be honest, they probably didn't REALLY think that the devs were a bunch of sadists who get off on dropping bombs on us and gleefully watching us run for cover. As for financial benefit, one other reason a few have suggested is that they introduced these limited character vaults and they went over like a fart in church and they thought this might prompt us to buy from them (I find this argument a bit less plausible - the limited character vaults seem like such a bad deal to me that I can't imagine spending HP on them other than in rare situations - then again, I'm still building up my roster, so I'm not flush in HP).

As far as money, if the recent changes end up making them more money overall, despite angering the players in the middle, it's hard for me to argue against it - especially if they are struggling to make money on the game (if they are making money hand over fist, it would annoy me more, but I doubt that's the case).

I am personally ambivalent about the changes. I was initially OK with them, though I had some big concerns and would have much preferred that they didn't vault characters or that they split the vaults. Being honest again, however, I have to admit that some of the initial knee-jerk reactions, complete with one-sided, cherry picked arguments, sarcasm, and even, in at least one case, cursing out the devs and calling them names (not cool in any situation, IMO) pushed me to speak up on the side of D3 more than I otherwise might have (sarcasm, in particular, personally annoys to beejeezuz out of me - it's all too often used when someone doesn't have a real argument ["Ooh, 1 plus 1 equals 2. That' SOOO intelligent. I'm SURE that's true."] - and there's a LOT of sarcasm on here).

The other reason I am OK (but not thrilled) with the change, is that I am one of those new players you mentioned (ca day 110, half the 3*s champed, all but 11 4*s rostered but none useable and most with 4 or fewer covers, Rulk at 8 is highest) who was beginning to wonder just how long it was going to take me to get a handful of the(or even a single) champed 4*s so I could progress in the game - especially with a new one coming out every other week. I was thinking that if I could just get 3 or 4 top 4*s (or even decent ones) championed, I could start hitting 900 in PvP (I regularly hit 800 now, but have yet to reach 900). With the new system, I can concentrate on getting a couple of the newest ones champed, and select Hulkbuster, Rulk, Jean Grey etc. as my sole favorite and get them champed too. Of course, I may well be kidding myself that I only need 3 or 4 champs to reach 900.

OTOH, I felt that once I got there, I would soon been in a state (under the new system) where I needed to get more 4*s champed and, if I wanted to progress further (mainly to reach 1200 progression in PvP - I had already written off top 5/10 placement in PvP/PvE ) and compete with 5*s, I was going to have to level some 4*s up to 330+ and that is looking increasingly , unlikely under the new system, even for new characters (since they'll only be easily obtainable for 5-6 months).

On a lesser note, I had plans to eventually max champ (or at least champ) every single character (even the 1*s) and now that's looking unlikely too. I don't expect D3 to cater to the obsessively compulsive collector in me, but I think there are a lot more benefits to having a deep roster than just nerdly obsessiveness (that's certainly been the case for 3*s, though that may be because of my lack of skill). I don't know how many max champed/high level (as opposed to just rostered) 4*s you need to succeed in this game.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Oh, and at the risk of wearing out my welcome with more long-winded pontifications, the other reason I was skeptical of claims that this was all a money grab was that when I listened to the interview on Puzzle Warriors, the D3 people didn't sound like they were just giving the corporate line. Yes, I realize that's a pretty lousy reason, but they seemed basically honest to me. They didn't seem keen on talking about the financial side of things (though they did mention it at one point) but that doesn't surprise me (saying you made a financial decision, even a justified one, is going to anger some players). I wish the hosts had brought up more of the concerns that have been raised here (in their defense, I think this was the first they'd heard of the bonus heroes and vaulting), but when they asked how players would get older 4*s, the answer (IIRC) was something like "Oh, they'll still be in vaults and PvE/PvP rewards, etc." in a tone that suggested they thought this was the obvious answer to such concerns.

To a veteran player (or even a relative newbie like me), it may seen incredible that they could think that, but I'm not sure how much they actually play (as opposed to play testing) the game. I wonder how many of them have actually gone from beginner to having fully developed 5* (or at least 4*) rosters and being competitive at high levels.

After all, I once had the fool notion that if I could just get two top 3*s champed, I'd be able to reach top 25 in PvP regularly (partly because one PvP guide says as much). I also initially felt "Who needs every 3* and 4*? I'll just concentrate on the top 10. After all, you can only play two of them in PvP and three in PvE, right???" Once I reached those levels, however, it soon became obvious that neither of those things were true (Oh how I rue selling off all those covers for "low"-level 3*s and 4*s).

Then again (I'll shut up soon, I promise) the devs have access to loads of stats on roster composition, character usage and win percentage, etc., which they have freely admitted they look at when making decisions, so they shouldn't need to play the game to know how hard it is to reach full progression in PvPs and top placement in either without a developed 4* roster (though in placement, by definition, only 1% can reach the top 10 in a full slice).
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just feel like there's some sort of development schizophrenia going on.

They introduce a mode that requires every 2*, 3* and 4* days before they vault a massive portion of the 3* and 4* pool. How the heck does that make sense?
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Crnch73 wrote:
    Gmax101 wrote:
    Me : blah blah blah icon_e_smile.gif

So let me use my current example: My hulk buster is at 5/1/2. My IM40 is at level 201, so he is pretty far from 223. I have received a total of 2 Bonus heroes since introduced, both were 3*. Personally, placement in the top 10 of any event, PVE or PVP, is not happening. I have been playing for almost 2 years and I have maybe placed in the top 10 twice ever, and that was for PVE. PVP progression to 900 is still incredibly hard for me. So, though all of those things are possible, the only realistic source for me to get Hulk Buster covers is PVE progression. With somewhere around 45-ish different 4*, and let's say we can have 2 PVE events per week. That means in the next calendar year, I can truly "bank" on getting 2 Hulk Buster covers from PVE. However, most likely one of them will be red, but that is besides the point. Let's say they are both usable colors for me. Let's also assume that, somehow my bonus character luck turns around, and I actually get a bonus 4* character. At a realistic expectation, I would say I might get one every month. Again, let's just assume I somehow only get colors I can use. If, and only if, RNG is kind to me, I can get my hulk buster fully covered in 6 months. And Let's be realistic, 4* don't fall out of any tokens except LT's. You almost pee yourself with joy if you get a 4* from a heroic, because it almost never happens. Same with event tokens and so on.

now, 6 months is NOT a hugely amount of time for that to happen. I could live with 6 months. But that also requires me to only select HB as my favorite, and again requires RNG to never give me a single red cover. Plus, all the new releases coming... So my overall roster, in terms of how I wanted to progress it, will fall behind schedule. For me to fully cover any "vaulted" 4* that is 8 or less covers, takes 6 months each and those months most likely won't overlap. So effectively, they made progress even harder, but put a pretty bow on it to distract us. It was, and remains, a great idea (bonus heroes), but the implementation of that change (too scarce), in addition to the other changes (vaulting), makes it harder for me to do what I wanted. I will fully cover Agent Venom (5 covers) before I cover Hulk Buster at this point, and that is nothing short of a travesty.

But prior to this change, what was your option?

The only difference between now and then is that you have you used to have a small chance of getting it in the tokens naturally, and I accept that tiny is better than 0%

but in that scenario you have 0 control over when you get the covers other than via the aforementioned progression/placement routes....

By your own admission you are reliant on tokens....

Standard Token - Smallest of small chances.... so small that they don't even show 4* as an option even though it might turn up
    Heroic Token - roughly a 0.023*0.14 = 0.3%
    Event Tokens - roughly the same as heroic... 0.33%
    Legendary Tokens - roughly 1.9%

Thing is, if Hulkbuster is a priority for you then why wouldn't you maximise your chances of getting him by adding as your only bonus.... ok, so the others not in the vault will not get any covers.... but if this is your current priority then you are clearly better off to do it that way

Standard Token - oddly, if you pull ANY 4* cover from here then in theory you will automatically trigger the bonus...
    Heroic Token - 13% chance of a 4* x 17% chance of a bonus... = 2.3%
    Event tokens - 14.5% x 17% of bonus = 2.4%
    Legendary = 85% * 5% = 4.25%

So assuming the same level of pull rate, you are 43x more likely to get him from Standards, 8x more likely from Heroic/Event and over 2x more likely to get him from Legendary's...

even having 2 Bonus Heroes at a time still gives you a next gain...

Which, if you compare that to Agent Venom (I will assume that he is not a favourite icon_e_smile.gif )
    Standard Token - he will be random IF you pull a 4* but only 1/12 of the time (HB 12x more likely to be pulled)
    Heroic Token - he will be at 1.14% (HB ~ 2x more likely to be pulled)
    Event Tokens - he will be 1.21% (HB ~ 2x more likely to be pulled)
    Legendary = 7% (AV ~ 1.6x more likely to be pulled)

So other than Legendary tokens, you are more likely to get Hulk-buster than Agent Venom

Progress will be slow, but I just don't understand how pure RNG, as it was pre-change, is better than some element of control where you can pull the characters you need (whether it is a missing roster slot for essentials or in an attempt to get those last couple of covers to champion them)

If you just want champion levels then sure, you will get less spread across the roster... but for targeted levelling of characters, this way IS better.

And while I agree the implementation had MANY faults, Vaulting in some manner IS needed to address dilution in a way that does not mean that the same old characters becomes the only high level characters on a roster, creating a stale game. Sure, I would have done it slightly differently... but at the same time, if I am honest, I cannot state categorically that what I would have done would have been better...

Nothing that has been suggested so far really does it any better...

if there are 31 4* in the proposed Classic Tokens, your odds of getting the 4* you want is still less than the Bonus Hero% and will continue to get worse as characters move out of latest in to classic... so not actually solving the dilution problem at all... (2.7% for the record)

Now I really WANT colourless tokens and making all BONUS HEROES colourless would go some way to making the vaulting more palettable...

But for me, Vaulting is needed and Bonus Heroes lets everyone keep finding the characters they really need.
  • kyo28
    kyo28 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    The root issue was whales with EVERY classic 4 star.png already @370. They are the main financiers of the game and they were tossing 75% of their token draws and that is UNACCEPTABLE! With this vaulting they will now be able to use 100% of their token draws
    I think it doesn't even need to be said how painstakingly obvious this is. The current system is 200% catered to huge whales. Their old 4*s are already ultra-maxed out and their older 5*s are also very far along. They want their pulls to go to the latest 4*s and 5*s as much as possible with very occasionally still getting an older 4* or 5*. And that's exactly what this system is designed to do. I think I can even hear the party music from teams like Olympus all the way from over there into my bedroom.
    I just feel like there's some sort of development schizophrenia going on.

They introduce a mode that requires every 2*, 3* and 4* days before they vault a massive portion of the 3* and 4* pool. How the heck does that make sense?
    Yes but see the above remark. Works perfectly for huge whales as they already have every old 3-4-5* and now can even faster build up the newer ones so they can crush us even easier in PVP as well.
    But transitioning players going from 2* to 3*; 3* to 4* or halfway through 4* to 5* all of a sudden have a huge, huge problem.
    To quote Trump: "they have an ENORMOUS problem, it's HUGE, it really is, it's really HUGE."
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Gmax101 wrote:

Standard Token - Smallest of small chances.... so small that they don't even show 4* as an option even though it might turn up
    You can't pull 4* from standard tokens. They confirmed this in one of the podcasts.
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Gmax101 wrote:

You can't pull 4* from standard tokens. They confirmed this in one of the podcasts.

Fair enough. Thank you for the correction.

though I genuinely thought I managed it recently (pre-bonus characters though)
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Gmax101 wrote:
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Gmax101 wrote:

Fair enough. Thank you for the correction.

though I genuinely thought I managed it recently (pre-bonus characters though)
    NP, the general consensus was that you could but very rarely so they asked them on the podcast and they confirmed that it was not possible.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Gmax101 wrote:

The only difference between now and then is that you have you used to have a small chance of getting it in the tokens naturally, and I accept that tiny is better than 0%

but in that scenario you have 0 control over when you get the covers other than via the aforementioned progression/placement routes....

Thing is, if Hulkbuster is a priority for you then why wouldn't you maximise your chances of getting him by adding as your only bonus.... ok, so the others not in the vault will not get any covers.... but if this is your current priority then you are clearly better off to do it that way

Standard Token - oddly, if you pull ANY 4* cover from here then in theory you will automatically trigger the bonus...

So assuming the same level of pull rate, you are 43x more likely to get him from Standards, 8x more likely from Heroic/Event and over 2x more likely to get him from Legendary's...

Which, if you compare that to Agent Venom (I will assume that he is not a favourite icon_e_smile.gif )
    Standard Token - he will be random IF you pull a 4* but only 1/12 of the time (HB 12x more likely to be pulled)

So other than Legendary tokens, you are more likely to get Hulk-buster than Agent Venom

Progress will be slow, but I just don't understand how pure RNG, as it was pre-change, is better than some element of control where you can pull the characters you need (whether it is a missing roster slot for essentials or in an attempt to get those last couple of covers to champion them)

If you just want champion levels then sure, you will get less spread across the roster... but for targeted levelling of characters, this way IS better.

And while I agree the implementation had MANY faults, Vaulting in some manner IS needed to address dilution in a way that does not mean that the same old characters becomes the only high level characters on a roster, creating a stale game. Sure, I would have done it slightly differently... but at the same time, if I am honest, I cannot state categorically that what I would have done would have been better...

if there are 31 4* in the proposed Classic Tokens, your odds of getting the 4* you want is still less than the Bonus Hero% and will continue to get worse as characters move out of latest in to classic... so not actually solving the dilution problem at all... (2.7% for the record)

Now I really WANT colourless tokens and making all BONUS HEROES colourless would go some way to making the vaulting more palettable...

But for me, Vaulting is needed and Bonus Heroes lets everyone keep finding the characters they really need.

In all honesty, that is a very well-thought out post. My only problem is that they post the odds of bonus heroes happening and the numbers don't line up. I can honestly say I am bucking all trends with those numbers. So, in theory, if probabilities acted as truths, then yes you are correct that this is much better than it was before. However, as we all know, probabilities mean nothing in the real world, and definitely mean jack-squat in this game. You are never likely to be hit by lightning, but it happens anyways. In this game, if there is no "slump-buster" function, the probabilities can go against you very often. So, if I was guaranteed a 4* bonus character with every 20 LT pulls? I wouldn't be complaining about the vaulting. But since I have pulled almost 40 LT's (I had stockpiled CP and LT's before the change) and gotten zero... that is where the vaulting becomes a travesty. If probabilities are to be believed, somewhere in the next few LT pulls, I should get two 4* bonus heroes. When that doesn't happen (because, let's be honest, it just won't), then it becomes a double whammy.

They vaulted the character I wanted to work on, and claimed I would have a chance at still getting him... but that has yet to be true. Maybe it's my pessimism, but I like to follow the mantra of "I won't believe it will happen until it actually happens." If they prove me wrong, I will gladly eat my hat. Until then, though... I just feel like there needs to be better odds for BH's, or a slump buster functionality. At this point, it just feels like they put most of my roster in retirement mode, and then said "We will tell you exactly who to build!"
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Very late to the party here, but just wanted to say that these are fair and good questions to be asking. Hope that Demi has some input on this.

I'm not particularly outraged by vaulting/bonus heroes, but since there are plenty of people who are I think a discussion is important.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Gmax101 wrote:

Then I'm afraid their pod cast is wrong unless this has changed recently.

In Oct 2016 I pulled KP black from a standard.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Gmax101 wrote:

By logical deduction I can only conclude that you must be Chuck Norris.
  • OneLastGambit
    Options
    Crnch73 wrote:
    Gmax101 wrote:

In all honesty, .... <Snip> At this point, it just feels like they put most of my roster in retirement mode, and then said "We will tell you exactly who to build!"

I think his point was that everyone complaining about the change is complaining about the wrong thing. They want the old system back because they think its better but your chances of covering someone (one particular character) were worse in the old system than the new one.

People are saying "This new system sucks bring back the old one!"

When they should be saying "We hate rng and dupes please solve this problem!"

It seem that people acknowledge there is a problem but they're vocalising it badly.
  • OneLastGambit
    Options
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Gmax101 wrote:

By logical deduction I can only conclude that you must be Chuck Norris.

This made me laugh. I have actually done it 3 times since joining the game 450 odd days ago. The KP Black is just the most recent. None since then so perhaps they have changed it now.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This made me laugh. I have actually done it 3 times since joining the game 450 odd days ago. The KP Black is just the most recent. None since then so perhaps they have changed it now.

I actually seem to recall doing it once or twice as well, but not for a long time, and human memory is an amazingly subjective and inaccurate thing.
  • OneLastGambit
    Options
    Jaedenkaal wrote:

I actually seem to recall doing it once or twice as well, but not for a long time, and human memory is an amazingly subjective and inaccurate thing.

Indeed it is. I keep note of times something weird happens, I've done it with 4* pulls from standards because everyone keeps saying how it can't happen. Yet here I am with 3 4* covers from standards. As I said its been months since this last occurred so perhaps they have actually altered this now.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anecdotal yes, but it sucks really hard now.

The double gating of RNG made the "oh well at least I can use this cover" of random legendaries feel now a lot more like "Oh no bonus? well guess I won't be getting covers for red hulk right now" (or iceman, jean, champ levels for cyc, or prof x's last purple, or more covers for punisher max, or my first carnage black, or other colors for my 5 red hulk buster, or more covers for war machine or winter soldier who began to pop for me pretty decently pre-vaulting, or nova)
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:

The double gating of RNG made the "oh well at least I can use this cover" of random legendaries feel now a lot more like "Oh no bonus? well guess I won't be getting covers for red hulk right now" (or iceman, jean, champ levels for cyc, or prof x's last purple, or more covers for punisher max, or my first carnage black, or other colors for my 5 red hulk buster, or more covers for war machine or winter soldier who began to pop for me pretty decently pre-vaulting, or nova)
    And on the flip side you won't pull a cover and be thinking "oh great, another new 4* that will sit on my roster undercovered for the next year before I even think about using them," because you'll be pulling covers for them all the time and be able to use them MUCH sooner than every character you mentioned.
  • TheZeusBear
    TheZeusBear Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Newbie to the game, on day 36.

I love the bonus hero feature. Vaulting.. not so much.

I have added every 3* and 4* I don't have (which is a substantial amount) just so that if I draw them, I can compete in more ddq and have those champs for essential nodes in PvE. Sucks big time for new players that we can't draw from a token and get an older character that'll be needed at some point for PvE and ddq.

Most people are using their bonus selections on champs that are almost 13 covers or to buff up their already champed heroes but for people who don't even have half the games hero pool, incredibly hard to earn more CP, 3* and 4* covers from placements, ddq because we lost the chance of any draw being beneficial towards building a larger roster. Now forced to favorite a hero and hope you get the bonus draw to get them. That's a lot of bonus draws just to be able to compete in PvE.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:

And on the flip side you won't pull a cover and be thinking "oh great, another new 4* that will sit on my roster undercovered for the next year before I even think about using them," because you'll be pulling covers for them all the time and be able to use them MUCH sooner than every character you mentioned.

Yes and no.

Because I've been transitioning for a year already, i've already perpetually been in that state for a year+. I was random covers from fully covered 4's. some of my characters were 4/4/4, 5/3/2. 5/0/5, 3/2/3 etc. Those legends were adding up.

Now I have 20+ 4's that will sit on my roster dead in the water until bonus heroes works in my favor. At no point will wasp be the red hulk. Even post buff.

Because I've been skipping out not placing well enough for most new 4's over 6 of them are entirely new characters I don't have. And because I didn't roster everyone from the start personally 4 star wise, it's just a new era of getting characters that will fall out of the tokens before I can cover them, a la moon knight & Kate in a week.

The clean slate of 12 new ones to try for doesn't quite make up for it.