Dear D3: 8 questions that will help us understand vaulting

Options

Comments

• Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Coubii wrote:
    Haven't red. TLDR... Stepping only on one question:
    Question 8: If enough people voice concern, would you be willing to end vaulting?
    And why just tweek a bit the bonus heros system ? Let each player select the 12 4* that will be find in the vault. It will allow you to choose which character to put priority on. It also solve the dilution. Sounds great to me.

unfortunately, everyone would just put the same top-12 characters in their vault and forget about the trash tiers. We really need an option where you can cycle the group through, though. It seriously feels like they said "Oh you didn't have character X championed yet? well too bad, you had plenty of time, not our fault."

and the fact that bonus heroes are rarer than unicorns here, this problem won't even get even a little bit better.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Q1: you're confusing bonus heroes with vaulting. Bonus heroes does slightly help with RNG, vaulting does not. I very clearly stated people love the former but mostly hate the latter.

Q2: So if we are supposed to be focusing solely on the blessed 12, how does that vibe with all the other game features I mentioned that promote roster diversity? It's a mixed message.
    How do I compete in DDQ, Crash, essential nodes, get champ rewards, etc. just focusing on 12 toons??

Q3: The fact that I bring all my toons up to champ status as soon as I have 14 covers means I'm definately not softcapping. I would not go to war with Falcap, Wolverine and Cho as three of my only four champs if I was softcapping.

Q4: So bonus heroes is your answer to why vaulting will work this time around? God I hope that's not going to be D3s official stance.

Q5: If it's not designed with hoarding in mind it will be an unintended side effect. I also agree that they want us to spend and not hoard but what else do you do when you've maxed covered the blessed 12? Or you don't have the Iso to champ them? Do you keep throwing away tokens hoping to pull a bonus (the answer to all life's problems)? Seems wasteful.

Q6: But you just said people should focus on the blessed 12 in your response to Q2. In fact I've heard many people talk about chucking undercovered toons because they will never get them to a useable place. Maybe newbies can keep a revolving roster spot for essential 4s, then chuck and replace them once the event is over (like many do with 2*). Seems kind of sad but is that the best way to go? Assuming you're right and I can get my one progressional token each time the event rolls around. How can I compete in Crash or Burrito? Wait for 10 or so events with that one character? Literally years before I can compete. Unless of course I maxed my 4s before the wall went up, in which case the resources will be flowing.

Q7: Glad we agree. If you can admit there is perhaps one unintended consequence of this then it follows that the developers are fallible and there may in fact be more than one unintended and detrimental consequence to this extreme shift. Many of which people have beautifully articulated on these here forums.

Q8: I'm really hoping you're wrong and the developers listen to their player base/consumers.
    1: No, I'm not confusing bonus heroes and vaulting, more on this later. Yes, vaulting does reduce RNG.
    2: You can compete in the vast majority of events with a single cover from all the toons. Missing one? Set it as your bonus and get it faster than you would have under the old system.
    3: Good. Softcapping makes baby Jesus cry.
    4: Sort of, more on this later.
    5: D3 doesn't like hoarding. They want you to pull everything, waste covers, and later spend money to make up for your lack of planning. They'll never come out and say it, but their actions speak loud enough - look at how rarely they communicate changes in advance to give people time to plan for them for example.
    6: See my Crash guide for how to beat them with very few covers. If that is your priority you can set your bonus heroes to characters that need more covers to complete Crash.
    7: .....OK
    8: Me too.

Dilution
    We've been complaining of dilution at the 5* tier for months now because that is the stage that most of us vet forumites are at. But the broader playerbase has been feeling the effects of 4* dilution for quite some time now, and that's a problem for the overall health of the game. I started playing right before the first anniversary, so for the most part I started out slowly collecting most of the 4*s as they were released. But I really did struggle to catch up on 3*s because of dilution, but it wasn't THAT big of a deal though as 3* covers can be earned much more quickly that 4*s. Now that there are more 4*s than 3*, and 4*s are earned at a MUCH slower rate, the road to 4* competition is a long one, and I think one that was turning players away. So how do you deal with dilution?

Put yourself in D3's shoes. The easiest way to understand where they feel they make the most money is by recognizes where they invest the most resources in development.....new characters. People like them, they spend their time to earn them, and their HP to roster them and their ISO to level them. You must also recognize that the rate at which covers are given out is something that D3 is going to want to remain pretty constant as more covers given out = less HP spent trying to acquire covers. Obviously an easy solution to dilution would be to just give out more covers, but that doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. So vaulting is a great way to keep the total rate of covers given out constant, while getting newer players more usable 4* characters faster so that they can transition, all while giving the players the new characters that they all seem to want (after all, they've been paying for them). This creates the problem that everyone has been complaining about though in lack of progress on older characters. Enter bonus heroes. No one is complaining about bonus heroes because bonus heroes are awesome, so I'll go ahead and be the first....the bonus hero draw rate of 5% is too low for the 3* and 4* tiers. The bonus covers don't come fast enough to make up for the lost progress due to vaulting. You used to have a 1/43 shot at a 4* that you needed, now if you have just one 4* that you need you get a 1/20 shot - great! If you have two that you still need it's likely 40 pulls to get them....slightly better than the previous 43 I guess, and you can focus on those 2 - fine. If you have more than 2 older 4*s that you still need to roster (the vast majority of the player base) then it's going to take you WAY more pulls to get them now compared to before, and so it's become tougher to catch up.

We have to talk about bonus heroes and vaulting together because they are both necessary to solve the dilution problem. Vaulting alone is not sufficient as it creates the older character problem, and bonus heroes aren't significant enough to solve it and making it significant enough to solve it would require D3 to essentially just give away free covers which we all know they won't do. So the two were implemented together to try to provide a better experience for all. It's not perfect, it could be better, but ultimately I think this will be better than what we had before - certainly for all newer players, and even a lot of vets as well.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We have to talk about bonus heroes and vaulting together because they are both necessary to solve the dilution problem. Vaulting alone is not sufficient as it creates the older character problem, and bonus heroes aren't significant enough to solve it and making it significant enough to solve it would require D3 to essentially just give away free covers which we all know they won't do.

Okay. Reading your entire post I think I see the main point where we diverge.

I never thought of dilution as a problem personally because I could see I was making progress under the old system and I was in no rush to vault to 5* land tomorrow. That said I will agree that it is a problem for a large majority of the player base and their concerns are valid just like I'm sure you'd agree that the concerns being voiced by a large majority of the player base now, post-vaulting are valid.

So, vaulting is an attempt to fix dilution. Fair. You state above that it creates a new problem. Fair. You state that bonus heroes is the solution to the new problem that vaulting creates and there is where you and a large majority of the player base differ.

Like I said in a previous post: bonus heroes, like their namesake suggests, should be a "bonus" not the fix-all for what you yourself deemed "the older character problem".

You state yourself that bonus heroes is not significant enough to fix the problem, so wouldn't it make sense that people would be upset over D3 creating a glaring problem and offering a "solution" that even a big supporter like yourself can admit is inadequate?

Your solution to give out bonus heroes at a higher rate flys in the face of your stance that D3 does not want to give out substantially more covers to encourage spending (which I absolutely agree with). So that is out. Like I keep saying, bonuses are perfect as is, vaulting is the problem.

Many have suggested that we put all the 4's in the classics packs. Those who want to fast track or already have the classics champed can buy latest. And those who don't care about dilution or want to work on old 4's can buy classic. Can you give any reason why this would not be a more adequate solution?
  • Crnch73
    Options
    Enter bonus heroes. No one is complaining about bonus heroes because bonus heroes are awesome, so I'll go ahead and be the first....the bonus hero draw rate of 5% is too low for the 3* and 4* tiers. The bonus covers don't come fast enough to make up for the lost progress due to vaulting. You used to have a 1/43 shot at a 4* that you needed, now if you have just one 4* that you need you get a 1/20 shot - great! If you have two that you still need it's likely 40 pulls to get them....slightly better than the previous 43 I guess, and you can focus on those 2 - fine. If you have more than 2 older 4*s that you still need to roster (the vast majority of the player base) then it's going to take you WAY more pulls to get them now compared to before, and so it's become tougher to catch up.

We have to talk about bonus heroes and vaulting together because they are both necessary to solve the dilution problem. Vaulting alone is not sufficient as it creates the older character problem, and bonus heroes aren't significant enough to solve it and making it significant enough to solve it would require D3 to essentially just give away free covers which we all know they won't do. So the two were implemented together to try to provide a better experience for all. It's not perfect, it could be better, but ultimately I think this will be better than what we had before - certainly for all newer players, and even a lot of vets as well.

I agree whole-heartedly. 5% is too low, and it's actually worse than that. 5% of all 4 star pulls that come from tokens other than LT's will turn into a bonus 4*. For me, it's more like 2.8% of any eligible tokens will turn into a bonus. However, how often do non-LT's turn out 4* covers? 1 outta 100, let's say? so now, you need 100 X 20 token pulls (2000, yay math!) just to get a single bonus character? There is no way to legitimately get those vaulted characters ever again. Basically, for those who already had them... congrats. Overall, we should see less of them in PVP to fight against as well. But for those of us who haven't completed some of those characters, it feels like we might as well just sell them and conserve HP on roster spots. My 7 cover Nova and my 8 cover Hulk Buster will never be completed, and overall champion levels are gone forever basically... Next new release, I should just sell off any older 4 that I hate (Mr. fantastic!) and use that roster spot on the new person. Granted, I would never do this, but at the moment it seems like a legit proposal.
  • kyo28
    kyo28 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Many have suggested that we put all the 4's in the classics packs. Those who want to fast track or already have the classics champed can buy latest. And those who don't care about dilution or want to work on old 4's can buy classic. Can you give any reason why this would not be a more adequate solution?
    Exactly. And it even makes sense from a business point of view. There are two revenue streams for D3:
    * Whales who buy a lot: these are happy with the new changes
    * regular players who buy less, are a bit more behind the curve but still spend money on the game through VIP, HP sales, etc

What they risk now is losing the regular players. I have spent about 160 Euros in the past year on this game (buying HP and VIP). That to me is a lot as a AAA console game only costs 50-60 Euros. So for a mobile game, I feel I have spent quite a bit of money. Sure I'm no whale, far from it, but that is 160 Euros that D3 won't get anymore going forward with the current system. And if a lot of semi-causal players feel that way, well, that will hurt their revenue stream.

I simply cannot find ANY logical reason not to have the older 4*s in a seperate vault, none! And noone on the forum has been able to come up with a reason either.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Options
    We have to talk about bonus heroes and vaulting together because they are both necessary to solve the dilution problem. Vaulting alone is not sufficient as it creates the older character problem, and bonus heroes aren't significant enough to solve it and making it significant enough to solve it would require D3 to essentially just give away free covers which we all know they won't do.

I never thought of dilution as a problem personally because I could see I was making progress under the old system and I was in no rush to vault to 5* land tomorrow. That said I will agree that it is a problem for a large majority of the player base and their concerns are valid just like I'm sure you'd agree that the concerns being voiced by a large majority of the player base now, post-vaulting are valid.

So, vaulting is an attempt to fix dilution. Fair. You state above that it creates a new problem. Fair. You state that bonus heroes is the solution to the new problem that vaulting creates and there is where you and a large majority of the player base differ.

Like I said in a previous post: bonus heroes, like their namesake suggests, should be a "bonus" not the fix-all for what you yourself deemed "the older character problem".

You state yourself that bonus heroes is not significant enough to fix the problem, so wouldn't it make sense that people would be upset over D3 creating a glaring problem and offering a "solution" that even a big supporter like yourself can admit is inadequate?

Your solution to give out bonus heroes at a higher rate flys in the face of your stance that D3 does not want to give out substantially more covers to encourage spending (which I absolutely agree with). So that is out. Like I keep saying, bonuses are perfect as is, vaulting is the problem.

I like the new system. I've always champed what I thought were the best characters, and so the only 4*s I don't have champed are the ones that I don't consider to be all that great. The new system allows me to not feel obligated to spend the 350k ISO to champ them, but instead champ the latest 4s as they are released and continue to pull from either the latest or classic LTs without ever wasting a 4* cover. That's a huge improvement for me. I'm a 5* player, so while evenly leveling 4*s for champ rewards is nice, it doesn't really make my roster more competitive (except through added LT draws). What makes my roster more competitive is really high level 4*s, and bonus heroes will get me there faster than the old system (well, at least the first two 370s).

Having older 4s in classic LTs makes sense, it really does. But I wouldn't like it. It would put me back into a position where I would be getting a ton of useless 4* covers from classics, and I'd prefer to be able to use them all without having to spend my CP on Latest tokens.

I think they could expand bonus heroes to 15% and force a minimum of 3 heroes at each tier without really breaking the number of covers given. Most people have more than just 1 or 2 older characters that they really want/need to cover to continue progressing though or enjoying the game, and opening it up to 3 at 15% total would mean you could pick 6 of the 30+ older characters to have a slightly higher draw rate from what they were before the change. So that seems a lot more reasonable to me without negatively affecting the bottom line.

Also, don't forget that the acquisition rate for older characters hasn't dropped to zero, they are still in vaults, and show up as placement/progression rewards. This is a big part of why vaulting today isn't nearly as bad as it was when it was around previously when characters were completely removed from any means of acquisition.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There's really no upside to vaulting and no really good reasoning any of us have seen for it.

If they vaulted 5's a lot of the higher tier players that are telling people to rely on vaulting bonus would RIOT.

The thing about this game is unless you've spent money, (and I mean A LOT) you have pretty much always been a top player, getting all the best rewards, aka the old characters, aka you don't need them, aka this isn't a concern at all to you.

Relying on a vaults + bonus is more or less saying to people "well when you have the tokens in 2 years you'll be fine", events come around, what every 3 months? You'll get 10-15 tokens if you're lucky and do phenomenally. And you're pretty much saying that I'll have to power through that time frame with my current roster. As new 4s are being added and other players get stronger.

Every month you go without pulling character from tokens is also a potential 2 more characters in the classic pool you'll need to cover as, seeing as how classic 4 stars aren't in rotation, you'll NEED to draw new 4 stars to get old ones.

Please don't mention placement.
    That is not something consistent for transitioning players.
    Even progression stretches further and further as top players progress, 2 years back soft capped 3's and 4's were enough.

Now a champed 4 isn't even a guarantee of 900.

Vaulting blows.
  • Daredevil217
    Options

I like the new system. I've always champed what I thought were the best characters, and so the only 4*s I don't have champed are the ones that I don't consider to be all that great. The new system allows me to not feel obligated to spend the 350k ISO to champ them, but instead champ the latest 4s as they are released and continue to pull from either the latest or classic LTs without ever wasting a 4* cover. That's a huge improvement for me. I'm a 5* player, so while evenly leveling 4*s for champ rewards is nice, it doesn't really make my roster more competitive (except through added LT draws). What makes my roster more competitive is really high level 4*s, and bonus heroes will get me there faster than the old system (well, at least the first two 370s).

Having older 4s in classic LTs makes sense, it really does. But I wouldn't like it. It would put me back into a position where I would be getting a ton of useless 4* covers from classics, and I'd prefer to be able to use them all without having to spend my CP on Latest tokens.

I think they could expand bonus heroes to 15% and force a minimum of 3 heroes at each tier without really breaking the number of covers given. Most people have more than just 1 or 2 older characters that they really want/need to cover to continue progressing though or enjoying the game, and opening it up to 3 at 15% total would mean you could pick 6 of the 30+ older characters to have a slightly higher draw rate from what they were before the change. So that seems a lot more reasonable to me without negatively affecting the bottom line.

Also, don't forget that the acquisition rate for older characters hasn't dropped to zero, they are still in vaults, and show up as placement/progression rewards. This is a big part of why vaulting today isn't nearly as bad as it was when it was around previously when characters were completely removed from any means of acquisition.

Annnnnnddd there it is.

I already champed the good 4* and have transitioned, so I'm in the small subset of the population that this change doesn't hurt. And the only good reason I can give not to undo vaulting in the form of a completely separate token is I don't want to pay 5 CP more for a latest 4* draw.

So I finally get you to admit there is a problem. You admit that you don't want them to undo vaulting in the form of a separate token because the system works for you slightly better (5 CP discount for pulls) at a huge detriment to the rest of the player base.

Thanks for playing...
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    There was little chance of the developers just going "Here, have a bunch of free covers of your choice in addition to the stuff you are pulling in RNG" as that would just be giving away stuff that would normally drive cash purchases...

Similarly, just saying "We have let you decide which character you pull in tokens" just lets every one develop a limited roster.

Neither of those solve the dilution problem but will guarantee that only the top tier of characters get developed and used, and that is awful for the game in the long run.

By Vaulting they have effectively said, "We had to decide how to group characters in order to reduce dilution. In the 4* tier, by focusing on the newer characters we think it helps the experienced players level them easier so they become more viable faster, and makes it easier for newer transitional players to have characters they can focus on after the release events etc (when there is the highest concentration of PVE and PVP progression tokens). At 3* we picked a selection of characters so that people get covers faster and also to demonstrate an interesting selection of powers and abilities."

Both of which, in terms of game survival, make sense....

Essentials are still available in progression, placement awards and vaults. Some 3* can be got from 2* and 4* can be got from 3*. So people can still have the key characters for DDQ and other PVE events. But what if someone really wants to get a character not in the tokens as standard?

and this is where Bonus Heroes comes in... it's awfully named (IMO) and without properly addressing why vaulting is needed and why the decisions were made they open themselves up to abuse, but Bonus Heroes lets people chase those characters they want.... for whatever reason.

Now, the change is definitely severe, and definitely could have been handled better... and is also not what the customers want

(but then, from experience, customers in general sometimes are not necessarily interested in considering what is good for the game/service provider as a whole, rather than what they individually want... example: I want free delivery of purchases to my house, even though that bankrupts the retailer for example)

I see Bonus Heroes as an attempt to provide people with access to the characters they really want.

and if you REALLY want them all RIGHT now!!! well, you weren't getting that pre-change anyway....
  • Fightmastermpq
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:
    There's really no upside to vaulting and no really good reasoning any of us have seen for it.
    As usual you are wrong. I just laid out several well-reasoned upsides from my point of view a couple posts up. Most people at least recognize that it gets new players from 0 to 13 covers on a 4* sooner, which has them competing at the 4* level sooner. That's a good thing. Obviously there are a lot of negatives, but to claim there are NO positives for ANYONE is...well that's just plain wrong.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Options
    Annnnnnddd there it is.

I already champed the good 4* and have transitioned, so I'm in the small subset of the population that this change doesn't hurt. And the only good reason I can give not to undo vaulting in the form of a completely separate token is I don't want to pay 5 CP more for a latest 4* draw.

So I finally get you to admit there is a problem. You admit that you don't want them to undo vaulting in the form of a separate token because the system works for you slightly better (5 CP discount for pulls) at a huge detriment to the rest of the player base.

Thanks for playing...
    First of all, this change DOES hurt me. I have a dozen 4*s over level 300, and only one of them will see measurable progress for the foreseeable future. So that's a pretty big drawback, and I would be a lot happier with this change if I could pick 3 of those to each get a 5% boost instead of just 1. And as I pointed out, the subset of population that this change doesn't hurt is actually the VAST MAJORITY of the playerbase that isn't vocal on the forums. It's the players trying to enter the 4* tier, and they are all going to get there a lot sooner now because of this change. If they had older 4*s in classics it would undermine this effort, and I doubt they will do it.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Q1: you're confusing bonus heroes with vaulting. Bonus heroes does slightly help with RNG, vaulting does not. I very clearly stated people love the former but mostly hate the latter.
    Vaulting does help with RNG 1/12 > 1/40+

That's assuming that i can place my carol danvers cover onto my redhulk.

Which, unfortunately

Isn't how this game was designed.

those 12 were included in the 40+

I can't give you 40 marbles to draw from, remove 36 and than announce "well now your odds are better! And now I'll rarely throw in one of the other 36!"

Those of us transitioning aren't just transitioning to scratch some sort of champing or collection itch, but to get stronger characters to compete so we don't have to only rely on RNG as much, maybe even getting a progression in pvp or two along the way.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:
    As usual you are wrong. I just laid out several well-reasoned upsides from my point of view a couple posts up. Most people at least recognize that it gets new players from 0 to 13 covers on a 4* sooner, which has them competing at the 4* level sooner. That's a good thing. Obviously there are a lot of negatives, but to claim there are NO positives for ANYONE is...well that's just plain wrong.

And again, remove vaulting and this is still true. At they had to do was make newest legendaries pull the 12 and it does all this without taking anything away and causing the negatives that far outweigh the positives
  • Crnch73
    Options
    Gmax101 wrote:
    There was little chance of the developers just going "Here, have a bunch of free covers of your choice in addition to the stuff you are pulling in RNG" as that would just be giving away stuff that would normally drive cash purchases...

Similarly, just saying "We have let you decide which character you pull in tokens" just lets every one develop a limited roster.

Neither of those solve the dilution problem but will guarantee that only the top tier of characters get developed and used, and that is awful for the game in the long run.

By Vaulting they have effectively said, "We had to decide how to group characters in order to reduce dilution. In the 4* tier, by focusing on the newer characters we think it helps the experienced players level them easier so they become more viable faster, and makes it easier for newer transitional players to have characters they can focus on after the release events etc (when there is the highest concentration of PVE and PVP progression tokens). At 3* we picked a selection of characters so that people get covers faster and also to demonstrate an interesting selection of powers and abilities."

Both of which, in terms of game survival, make sense....

Essentials are still available in progression, placement awards and vaults. Some 3* can be got from 2* and 4* can be got from 3*. So people can still have the key characters for DDQ and other PVE events. But what if someone really wants to get a character not in the tokens as standard?

and this is where Bonus Heroes comes in... it's awfully named (IMO) and without properly addressing why vaulting is needed and why the decisions were made they open themselves up to abuse, but Bonus Heroes lets people chase those characters they want.... for whatever reason.

Now, the change is definitely severe, and definitely could have been handled better... and is also not what the customers want

(but then, from experience, customers in general sometimes are not necessarily interested in considering what is good for the game/service provider as a whole, rather than what they individually want... example: I want free delivery of purchases to my house, even though that bankrupts the retailer for example)

I see Bonus Heroes as an attempt to provide people with access to the characters they really want.

and if you REALLY want them all RIGHT now!!! well, you weren't getting that pre-change anyway....

So let me use my current example: My hulk buster is at 5/1/2. My IM40 is at level 201, so he is pretty far from 223. I have received a total of 2 Bonus heroes since introduced, both were 3*. Personally, placement in the top 10 of any event, PVE or PVP, is not happening. I have been playing for almost 2 years and I have maybe placed in the top 10 twice ever, and that was for PVE. PVP progression to 900 is still incredibly hard for me. So, though all of those things are possible, the only realistic source for me to get Hulk Buster covers is PVE progression. With somewhere around 45-ish different 4*, and let's say we can have 2 PVE events per week. That means in the next calendar year, I can truly "bank" on getting 2 Hulk Buster covers from PVE. However, most likely one of them will be red, but that is besides the point. Let's say they are both usable colors for me. Let's also assume that, somehow my bonus character luck turns around, and I actually get a bonus 4* character. At a realistic expectation, I would say I might get one every month. Again, let's just assume I somehow only get colors I can use. If, and only if, RNG is kind to me, I can get my hulk buster fully covered in 6 months. And Let's be realistic, 4* don't fall out of any tokens except LT's. You almost pee yourself with joy if you get a 4* from a heroic, because it almost never happens. Same with event tokens and so on.

now, 6 months is NOT a hugely amount of time for that to happen. I could live with 6 months. But that also requires me to only select HB as my favorite, and again requires RNG to never give me a single red cover. Plus, all the new releases coming... So my overall roster, in terms of how I wanted to progress it, will fall behind schedule. For me to fully cover any "vaulted" 4* that is 8 or less covers, takes 6 months each and those months most likely won't overlap. So effectively, they made progress even harder, but put a pretty bow on it to distract us. It was, and remains, a great idea (bonus heroes), but the implementation of that change (too scarce), in addition to the other changes (vaulting), makes it harder for me to do what I wanted. I will fully cover Agent Venom (5 covers) before I cover Hulk Buster at this point, and that is nothing short of a travesty.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I am a bit late to the party, but I just wanted to comment about those claiming adding bonus heroes wasn't some nefarious plan to distract from the huge nerf to the four star tier. If you recall when the champion feature was released, right before then, boosted 3s were able to compete (and sometimes were even better than) 4 stars. Of course, D3 didn't like that because it meant people wouldn't covet 4s as much. And since they got more money from 4s, they had to nerf the 3s. So at the same time as they release the champion system, they massively nerf the 3s. Now the gap between 3 and 4s is pretty large. I am not saying they implemented the champion feature entirely to nerf 3s, but they realized it was a problem for them and planned the timing out perfectly to conceal the natural angry reaction many would've had if they had nerfed the 3s without any nice new feature.

Fast forward a year or so. 4s had not been able to compete with level 450+ 5 stars, even when boosted. The health and damage difference was just too much. But now, a not insignificant number of players has been able to work diligently to get their 4s to the range where when boosted, they actually stand a chance of taking on a 5 star team (especially as long as 5s aren't boosted). If you have a level 330 character who is boosted to 430, they could easily have as much health as OML. They might not do as much match damage, but their attack skills likely do more damage than the 5s. This isn't good for 5 star players to feel like they are being beaten on by a lower roster character, so they need to nerf 4s before this becomes a big problem. Rather than taking the nerf bat directly to them, they decide a much more underhanded method would be to prevent them from progressing quickly via vaulting. They have likely been planning this for a while, and trying to come up with another new feature that would cover up the angry reaction people would have. Enter bonus heroes. Unfortunately for them, they didn't realize that the people wouldn't be as won over by a tiny 5% chance at an extra cover as they were by the champion feature. In fact, I would argue that many people STILL don't understand that this was a huge nerf to 4s, and are just upset about this for other reasons. Those that realize this was essentially a nerf to 4s should be even more upset.

So I have two options: assume a game that has been around for years (somewhat of a rarity in the mobile game market) has developers that are idiots and don't understand their own game at all, or that they have experts doing analytics on how to best make money from this game and how to market bad changes in a way that people will be tricked into thinking they are good.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The new system makes it slower. But in the meantime, with proper prioritization, you can champ characters like Medusa, Carol, and Peggy (all of which are top tier and are perfectly capable of competing with characters like Iceman and Rhulk) much faster, so your raw progress towards competition level will be faster. That does mean you will have to adapt and come up with a new plan for your roster, but it doesn't mean you're actually being hurt by the change.
    Wait, so you're saying that vaulting all old 4*s is a good thing, and I should "give up" of my 2/5/2 Rhulk, 2/2/5 Jean and 3/4/5 Quake, to miraculously champ Medusa (0/1/1), Carol (0/2/0) and Peggy (2/1/1), who are faaar behind them icon_rolleyes.gif ? I just don't get how this could be a good thing...
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    Annnnnnddd there it is.

Thanks for playing...
    First of all, this change DOES hurt me. I have a dozen 4*s over level 300, and only one of them will see measurable progress for the foreseeable future. So that's a pretty big drawback, and I would be a lot happier with this change if I could pick 3 of those to each get a 5% boost instead of just 1. And as I pointed out, the subset of population that this change doesn't hurt is actually the VAST MAJORITY of the playerbase that isn't vocal on the forums. It's the players trying to enter the 4* tier, and they are all going to get there a lot sooner now because of this change. If they had older 4*s in classics it would undermine this effort, and I doubt they will do it.

I'm a transitioner trying to enter the 4* tier as are many on this forum complaining.

If you have "a dozen 4*s over level 300, and only one of them will see measurable progress for the foreseeable future", then wouldn't unvaulting the old 4's and adding them to Classic Legends help you progress them? And by keeping the new hotness in the latest legends help these mythical 4* transitioners that love this change but are just not here on the forums? So far the only reason you gave not to do this is you don't want to pay 5 CP more for newer characters. So I have yet to hear a GOOD counter to adding vaulted characters to classic packs.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    notamutant wrote:
    I am a bit late to the party, but I just wanted to comment about those claiming adding bonus heroes wasn't some nefarious plan to distract from the huge nerf to the four star tier. If you recall when the champion feature was released, right before then, boosted 3s were able to compete (and sometimes were even better than) 4 stars. Of course, D3 didn't like that because it meant people wouldn't covet 4s as much. And since they got more money from 4s, they had to nerf the 3s. So at the same time as they release the champion system, they massively nerf the 3s. Now the gap between 3 and 4s is pretty large. I am not saying they implemented the champion feature entirely to nerf 3s, but they realized it was a problem for them and planned the timing out perfectly to conceal the natural angry reaction many would've had if they had nerfed the 3s without any nice new feature.

I suppose it's a just semantics, but what I, at least, found implausible was claims that did the vaulting JUST to stick it to the players (as if they enjoy sticking it to us simply for sake of doing so - though maybe I was taking people on the forums too literally) and then came up with bonus heroes strictly as a cover story. I do find it somewhat plausible that they came up with vaulting because 4*s were reaching the stage where they were could compete with 5*s and/or they thought vaulting would make them more money (by getting people to spend money to get 5*s, appeasing whales or getting them to pay more, getting people to buy from limited character vaults etc.) and wanted to give us a new feature they thought we would like to compensate (perhaps they thought about nerfing 4*S and said "no - remember what happened when we did that with 3*s"). Of course, I also have a number of questions about this scenario and have seen no actual evidence for any of this - though, if true, it's not the kind of thing I'd expect D3 to be forthright about or for their to be any evidence for (unless one of these whales that supposedly has a direct line to the devs to make feature requests admits that it was done at their request).

OTOH, I also find it plausible that they implemented vaulting to address concerns that people couldn't cover up the new 4*s (whether to meet the demands of whales or not) or that new players couldn't get a covered 4*s in a reasonable amount of time and didn't think of all the implications. As to which I find more plausible, it depends on which day you ask me. Today I'm leaning more towards the former (they wanted to implement vaulting and came up with bonus heroes to partially compensate) - tomorrow it may change.

BTW, I am fairly new to the game and wasn't around when championing was introduced, but did players at the time feel that it was adequate compensation for the 3* nerf?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    astrp3 wrote:
    BTW, I am fairly new to the game and wasn't around when championing was introduced, but did players at the time feel that it was adequate compensation for the 3* nerf?

Not at the time, no. I think it's fair to say that some are potentially still upset about that (the flattening of character power above their base max level, that is), although championing itself was fairly well received. The later change to the sell price of fully-championed characters (specifically 2*s) brought even more people on board as well, I think.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    astrp3 wrote:
    I suppose it's a just semantics, but what I, at least, found implausible was claims that did the vaulting JUST to stick it to the players (as if they enjoy sticking it to us simply for sake of doing so - though maybe I was taking people on the forums too literally) and then came up with bonus heroes strictly as a cover story. I do find it somewhat plausible that they came up with vaulting because 4*s were reaching the stage where they were could compete with 5*s and/or they thought vaulting would make them more money (by getting people to spend money to get 5*s, appeasing whales or getting them to pay more, getting people to buy from limited character vaults etc.) and wanted to give us a new feature they thought we would like to compensate (perhaps they thought about nerfing 4*S and said "no - remember what happened when we did that with 3*s"). Of course, I also have a number of questions about this scenario and have seen no actual evidence for any of this - though, if true, it's not the kind of thing I'd expect D3 to be forthright about or for their to be any evidence for (unless one of these whales that supposedly has a direct line to the devs to make feature requests admits that it was done at their request).

I wasn't implying they were trying to do it to stick it to the players. Everything they do is a financial decision. I think you clarified those potential reasons a bit better than I did. Some of the below are legitimate issues, but still based around making more money.

1) Why spend money on getting 5 stars when 4 stars will be better than them until the 5s are much higher level?
    2) People don't buy HP as much anymore due to their HP flow increasing so much from getting high champ rewards.
    3) People don't throw away covers as much anymore as they champ a majority of the 4 stars possible to pull, and they don't have as much of an iso shortage as a result of having most 4s champed.
    4) How can we retain new players that feel they can never transition to 4s, and make them feel like spending money on the game will make a difference?
    5) How can we encourage whales to keep spending once they have max champed their older 4 stars?

All of these issues were addressed with vaulting. Absolutely a financial decision. The reasons all make perfect business sense if they ignore outrage and potential lost business from pretty much everyone in the middle. It helps the newer players feel like spending money will actually make a difference now since they can buy 12 roster slots and be good for a while, and pull tokens from legendary and not worry about having 40 with 3 covers. It helps whales feel like there is still a benefit to pulling latest legends when they already have the older 4s maxed.

Regarding the 3* nerf, D3 barely addressed this issue with the community at all. They pretty much said one or two sentences and claimed they didn't even change anything and moved on. There was outrage, but the champion feature was good enough that enough people overlooked it.

I am not denying that there are positive reasons for the changes, just that they are positive mainly for D3 making money, not for us enjoying the game.