Options

Comments

• n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    n25philly wrote:
    What about the abnormal player? Not everyone treats this like a second job. When I started tracking what I need resource wise to champ my 3* it slightly more than what it would cost to champ these twelve. That was back during the first running of the civil war event. I am just reaching the end now, two left to champ. It's been almost a year? This also kills any chance I have at leveling and champing the old characters? If I am forced to use so much iso to constantly stay on top of the newest 12 that are forced on us how could I possibly every hope to level and champ one of the old ones, especially with all of the champ rewards being stolen from us due to the removed characters?
    The abnormal player like yourself should realistically be happy about this change. In the old system because you were pulling characters at a slower rate it took you forever to champion any character as the pool gets more and more diluted. Now you have a higher chance of even covering one character. And the best part is you can pick said character! If anything you get the more benefit out of this change than the rest of us. You have yet to tell us which character in particular you want so we can't help you meet your goal. So help us help you, what character do you want to champ in particular?

It's amazing how everyone defending this wants to bend reality to make it sound good. How does this make it better. I can't pull tokens because the odds of pulling a cover for someone I can't roster are ridiculously high. I can't put together the resources to actually roster them because it's now near impossible to add champ levels to have my 3* roster (my main source of hp) because I have to depend on rng inside of rng to actually get covers for them. Even if I manage to roster the missing characters I don't have the iso to do anything with them, and again have less resources coming in.

Even if I manage to do something with the 12 being FORCED on us (you know because of choice) I will never be able to put together resources ti do anything with the old ones because of the FORCED treadmill of new characters tieing up any and all resources I bring in to keep up because there is a limited time to do things now.

Why can't people realize SOME OF US NEED COVERS FOR LOTS OF CHARACTERS, NOT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But yeah, FORCING on to have to focus on new characters that are pretty much limited time only and destroying any realistic shot of really being able to actually do anything with older characters that we really want is a good thing and gives us more choice. How much brain damage do I have to give myself before this starts actually making any sense?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:

I would actually love your help with my roster. I would like to cover max and champ the following characters with 8 or more covers below (I have more with 8+ covers, these are just the ones I'd be really happy to pull a cover for and eventually champ):

Jean Grey (All New X-Men) 5/3/4
    Red Hulk (Thunderbolt Ross) 2/5/5
    The Punisher (MAX) 5/3/4
    Professor X (Charles Xavier) 5/2/5
    Carnage 4/5/3
    X-23 (All New Wolverine) 5/3/3
    Star-Lord (Legendary Outlaw) 4/3/4
    Miles Morales (Spider-Man) 3/3/5
    Deadpool (Uncanny X-Force) 3/2/5
    Kingpin (Wilson Fisk) 3/4/3
    Ant-Man (Scott Lang) 2/4/4
    Cyclops (Classic) 4/2/2
    Thor (Goddess of Thunder) 2/1/5
    Nova (Sam Alexander) 3/3/2
    Luke Cage (Power Man) 5/3/0
    Winter Soldier (Bucky Barnes) 4/2/2

Oh wait... you thought I had ONE favorite character that I wanted to champ?
    Okay I'd probably focus on luke cage because he is currently in the 12. Set bonus 4* to cage and 3* to cage and it shouldn't take too much time.
    After that I'd work on Cyclops as he will probably be the easiest of the rest. Set bonus 3* as Cyclops and bonus 4* as Cyclops and remove the rest.
    After you get enough for him I'd probably shoot for miles. Setting 3* to spiderman and 4* to miles.

Just like it was before it will take time to get anywhere in this game. Now for these 3 above the 3* are in the vaulted 3's so getting the first 4* champ reward will be fairly quick and you'll probably get the 2nd in a reasonable amount of time (compared to before).

I meant to leave Cage out because I was only listing vaulted characters I want to work on, since you know, everyone's answer to vaulted heroes is "bonus heroes". Of the currently blessed I also have Kate at 3/5/0 and Peggy at 5/0/2. Not to mention Iceman at a pathetic 1/5/1. The point is that in reality I would like to Champ everyone. That was my goal in 2 and 3* land and that's the goal in 4* land. Your advice was how to fast track my roster or get champs the fastest which is NOT what I'm looking for. So while I appreciate the advice, it doesn't help me. The fact that I won't even have the possibility of seeing a Deadpool, Red Hulk, Punisher, Jean, etc. because I need to rush Cage and Kate (much lower on the want list but like everyone else id like to one day Champ). Is just plain sad. Your answer is about what I thought it would be. Bonus heroes. I'm not going to just sit here and be happy with the company line where their solution doesn't apply to my problem. Not everyone wants to play the game like you and not everyone has one favorite vaulted character.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Great questions OP Brigby can you make sure the devs see the OP? This is one of the most detailed yet consise lists of the problems and concerns I've seen.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options

I kinda doubt anyone thought that. However, you can still achieve your goals, you just have to choose the order they happen in yourself, instead of letting RNG decide the order for you. Pick one you like best, and favorite that one. Then do another one after you're satisfied with the first.

The new system makes it slower. But in the meantime, with proper prioritization, you can champ characters like Medusa, Carol, and Peggy (all of which are top tier and are perfectly capable of competing with characters like Iceman and Rhulk) much faster, so your raw progress towards competition level will be faster. That does mean you will have to adapt and come up with a new plan for your roster, but it doesn't mean you're actually being hurt by the change.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Q1: you're confusing bonus heroes with vaulting. Bonus heroes does slightly help with RNG, vaulting does not. I very clearly stated people love the former but mostly hate the latter.
    To be fair, that seems to be part of the point. Give us a good new little thing at the same time as a pretty bad change for many players, pretend that they are necessarily one and the same feature, and let the players constantly debate each other about how people should stop complaining about the part that almost nobody is complaining about.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I kinda doubt anyone thought that. However, you can still achieve your goals, you just have to choose the order they happen in yourself, instead of letting RNG decide the order for you. Pick one you like best, and favorite that one. Then do another one after you're satisfied with the first.

You realise that it's entirely possible that some people will NEVER draw a bonus hero?
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Never draw a bonus hero? That ridiculous hyperbole. On average one in 20 heroics/event tokens should provide one. There is under a 1% chance that 89 pulls do no the provide a bonus hero and that doesn't include standard tokens. I know this isn't an unambiguously positive challenge but let's not be stupid in our complaints.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I meant to leave Cage out because I was only listing vaulted characters I want to work on, since you know, everyone's answer to vaulted heroes is "bonus heroes". Of the currently blessed I also have Kate at 3/5/0 and Peggy at 5/0/2. Not to mention Iceman at a pathetic 1/5/1. The point is that in reality I would like to Champ everyone. That was my goal in 2 and 3* land and that's the goal in 4* land. Your advice was how to fast track my roster or get champs the fastest which is NOT what I'm looking for. So while I appreciate the advice, it doesn't help me. The fact that I won't even have the possibility of seeing a Deadpool, Red Hulk, Punisher, Jean, etc. because I need to rush Cage and Kate (much lower on the want list but like everyone else id like to one day Champ). Is just plain sad. Your answer is about what I thought it would be. Bonus heroes. I'm not going to just sit here and be happy with the company line where their solution doesn't apply to my problem. Not everyone wants to play the game like you and not everyone has one favorite vaulted character.
    And in the old system you still could have opened 1000's of tokens and still not drawn any of these characters. It was RNG before and it is RNG now as well. And I know people have more than one favorite character as do I. And if you don't want to champ Kate or cage then don't, nobody is forcing you to (and honestly I say don't bother with Kate because she is leaving very soon). I'm just trying to help get your characters covered that's all. Although the rate is absolutely terrible for bonus heroes it's still 'free' covers and when you do get it you know what it is going to be.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Options
    n25philly wrote:

It's amazing how everyone defending this wants to bend reality to make it sound good. How does this make it better. I can't pull tokens because the odds of pulling a cover for someone I can't roster are ridiculously high. I can't put together the resources to actually roster them because it's now near impossible to add champ levels to have my 3* roster (my main source of hp) because I have to depend on rng inside of rng to actually get covers for them. Even if I manage to roster the missing characters I don't have the iso to do anything with them, and again have less resources coming in.
    I'm confused are you saying you won't pull more champ rewards for 3* because of RNG? You can get 3* in any tokens type (other than legendaries) or champ rewards for 2*. Also you don't have to put iso into new characters right after you get them, I still have a bunch at 70. And like we have said before you will still need these 4* for required characters at some point in time.
    Even if I manage to do something with the 12 being FORCED on us (you know because of choice) I will never be able to put together resources ti do anything with the old ones because of the FORCED treadmill of new characters tieing up any and all resources I bring in to keep up because there is a limited time to do things now.
    once again you don't have to use iso on new characters if you don't want to.
    Why can't people pull their heads out of their rears long enough to realize SOME OF US NEED COVERS FOR LOTS OF CHARACTERS, NOT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh I know you need covers for a lot of people, I'm just saying at the current rate you are going it was going to take forever to champ any 4*. Now I'd argue that your chance of champing one 4* in a reasonable amount of time is a lot better.
    But yeah, FORCING on to have to focus on new characters that are pretty much limited time only and destroying any realistic shot of really being able to actually do anything with older characters that we really want is a good thing and gives us more choice. How much brain damage do I have to give myself before this starts actually making any sense?
    I mean do with your brain what you want, but I assure you you can use the current system to build up these characters. Just do one at a time and make sure you get progression on events with 4* that you like and you'll be surprised I think in the long run.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Even before if you didn't have the newest 12 champed you still would have had the 4.4 million iso deficit from them that hasn't changed. Instead of having 40- however many you have champed now it is 12- however many you have champed (from that 12). So if you don't have any champed you now have to spend less. If you had most of them champed then you still would have had to champ them next anyway.

While what you say is technically correct, the reality is that under the old system, you would be spreading your covers across those new characters plus all the ones you had already champed (and getting more resources in the process) so you would be less likely to get into the situation where you max-covered a few at once and then had to either stop opening your tokens or would end up wasting them.

Every time you are basically forced to hoard (rather than choose to do so) you are effectively slowing down the progress of your roster due to the failings of the overall system.

Bonus heroes is a good addition, giving people some means of speeding up their progress on new characters is a good thing, but when they come at the cost of almost all your progress on the existing roster they are nowhere near enough to offset that downside.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Copps wrote:
    Never draw a bonus hero? That ridiculous hyperbole. On average one in 20 heroics/event tokens should provide one. There is under a 1% chance that 89 pulls do no the provide a bonus hero and that doesn't include standard tokens. I know this isn't an unambiguously positive challenge but let's not be stupid in our complaints.
    Funny.
    On average it should be a 5* draw from 7 LTs, yet I went 4/110 lately.

Yes, it's entirely possible to not draw bonus heroes for a long, long time.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Options
    Crowl wrote:

While what you say is technically correct, the reality is that under the old system, you would be spreading your covers across those new characters plus all the ones you had already champed (and getting more resources in the process) so you would be less likely to get into the situation where you max-covered a few at once and then had to either stop opening your tokens or would end up wasting them.

Every time you are basically forced to hoard (rather than choose to do so) you are effectively slowing down the progress of your roster due to the failings of the overall system.

Bonus heroes is a good addition, giving people some means of speeding up their progress on new characters is a good thing, but when they come at the cost of almost all your progress on the existing roster they are nowhere near enough to offset that downside.
    And in the old system I still had this problem. Right now I have 8 4* I can champion which caused me to hoard before this change. Hoarding isn't a new topic. Beginning players hoard to not pull 5*, 4* transitioners hoard to not waste 4* covers, 5* transitioners hoard to pull from the smaller pool of LL to try to max cover 5*'s.
  • Daredevil217
    Options

The new system makes it slower. But in the meantime, with proper prioritization, you can champ characters like Medusa, Carol, and Peggy (all of which are top tier and are perfectly capable of competing with characters like Iceman and Rhulk) much faster, so your raw progress towards competition level will be faster. That does mean you will have to adapt and come up with a new plan for your roster, but it doesn't mean you're actually being hurt by the change.

Again... you are talking about bonus heroes which is a great feature that adds a great element to the game.

We are talking about vaulting which is NOT helping my progress, nor is locking away all but 12 4's giving me "more choice" since those are the characters I'd choose to pull from. Giving a classic 4* token would be offering more choice. The current vaulting system does not.

Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    And in the old system you still could have opened 1000's of tokens and still not drawn any of these characters. It was RNG before and it is RNG now as well. And I know people have more than one favorite character as do I. And if you don't want to champ Kate or cage then don't, nobody is forcing you to (and honestly I say don't bother with Kate because she is leaving very soon). I'm just trying to help get your characters covered that's all. Although the rate is absolutely terrible for bonus heroes it's still 'free' covers and when you do get it you know what it is going to be.

Again, I appreciate the help, but you appear to be incapable of understanding the problem and so you are unable to offer adequate solutions when you can't properly diagnose the issue. Like many others, hiding behind "bonus heroes!", "more control!", "faster progression!" is not helpful for me because I can see the "system" (vaulting) for what it is and not what I'm told it is. The thing is I do want to level Kate and Cage and the blessed 12. I also want to level, champ and progress Elektra, Venom, Iceman and everyone else. I never use 2* Bullseye, 2* Cap, Squirrels, Colossus or many others unless forced upon me, and I still have zero regrets about champing/investing in them, nor am I upset when I pull another one. The system worked thanks to champing. And sure I may have had to wait an eternity and still never pull a Deadpool or Rulk, but maybe I'd of pulled my 13th Elektra, Fury, or IW finally (all are a cover from being champed!). The only pull I would be mad at before was one I'd have to chuck because I couldn't use it. Again, my goal is to Champ everyone. Now it will take legitimately FOREVER when 72% of the characters will MAYBE be seen 5% of the time one at a time and I have to pray it's the right color for a lot of them.
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Crowl wrote:

And in the old system I still had this problem. Right now I have 8 4* I can champion which caused me to hoard before this change. Hoarding isn't a new topic. Beginning players hoard to not pull 5*, 4* transitioners hoard to not waste 4* covers, 5* transitioners hoard to pull from the smaller pool of LL to try to max cover 5*'s.

This I agree with but simply saying "it was already a problem" doesn't offer solutions, nor mean the developers want to encourage more people to do it, or to do it more frequently.

This is why I asked the question about hoarding in the OP. I THINK the developers wanted this system to discourage hoarding (gotta spend, spend spend, before the covers leave!) but one of the many unintended side effects of this change is going to be more hoarding. I just want them to be aware (and hope they read it! Thanks for the upvotes guys!)
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If they made bonus heroes happen more often, this problem could be alleviated. I've been tracking them, I got 2 the day it was introduced and none since. I'm down to 0.9% roughly. At the point of introduction the idea sounded great! I could even deal with vaulting to help me reduce my Eddie Brock venom covers, as long as I got my hulk busters eventually. Now it just seems like I will never get there. I still have plenty of good characters, so it's not the end of the world. But hulk buster will never get to 13 covers... Progression will get me one cover once a year basically. If its a red cover even worse since he is 5/1/2.

Make BH's happen more often, and the complaints pretty much dry up, right?
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    Crnch73 wrote:
    Make BH's happen more often, and the complaints pretty much dry up, right?

Probably not. Bonus heroes is fine as is as a standalone feature. Vaulting is the problem. Bonus heroes should be exactly what the name entails. A "bonus". Something that if it happens it is awesome but if not, no big deal. It shouldn't be an answer to the problem vaulting creates or the main means of building up 30+ locked away heroes.

I think the best compromise I've read that has made most people happy is to unvault the 4s and put them in the classic packs. Super simple solution. Those who want to "catch up fast". Can open from latest and those who don't mind falling behind but want to build slowly and evenly pull from classics.

Sorry about your Buster. My 1-5-1 Iceman is also sad he will NEVER be completed. I could set him as my sole BH and pray that the minuscule time I actually pull a bonus 4 (has yet to happen) I don't get the 1/3 shot at another Blue. I can do this, wait for a year or more to get him champed while all my other vaulted toons rot. Nope. RIP Bobby.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

You realise that it's entirely possible that some people will NEVER draw a bonus hero?

Technically true but pretty hyperbolic. However the fact that it is tied to RNG is pretty bad. I need one more Ant-Man cover (anything but yellow). I've drained all my hoarded LT and my CP with him as the only 4* favorited. Out of 70 pulls I got 2 bonus covers (much less than 5%, closer to 2.5%) and 1 of those was a 5* I really didn't want, the other was the Ant-Man yellow I can't use. 70 pulls and the bonus cover result was just another dying on the vine.
  • Starsaber
    Starsaber Posts: 206
    Options
    There are at least 6 ways you can still get any 3 and 4 star characters even if they aren't in Heroic/Legendary packs any more:

1) Bonus Heroes
    2) Vaults (PVE, DDQ, and special vaults still have characters not from the current list)
    3) Progression rewards when they're the featured character
    4) Placement rewards in PVE or PVP
    5) Champion level rewards (only select 3*s from 2*s, but most 4*s have 3*s that give them)
    5) DDQ (assuming you have at least 1 of the 3* character for the essential node, but the above techniques should make that possible)

I agree that they could have handled this better, but I don't think it's the disaster some people are making it out to be. And for 3*s, I wouldn't be surprised if they rotate what ones are available in packs from time to time. My idea would be to rotate in 5 different 3*s when they're adjusting the 4*s in the packs at the start of each season.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Copps wrote:

You can flip a coin 100 times and get 100 heads.

Just sayin'.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:

The situation is worse now for almost everyone and will tend to get far worse for most people, whereas under the previous system things gradually improved as your roster developed until the point where you hardly ever had to hoard unless you wanted to do so.
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Haven't red. TLDR... Stepping only on one question:
    Question 8: If enough people voice concern, would you be willing to end vaulting?
    And why just tweek a bit the bonus heros system ? Let each player select the 12 4* that will be find in the vault. It will allow you to choose which character to put priority on. It also solve the dilution. Sounds great to me.