*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Comments

• eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    sorcered wrote:
    No longer being able to select the tiles to convert makes him completely useless. Oh well, it was to be expected, with your previous history of nerfing heroes into oblivion. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Ehh, I think these changes havn't nerfed him into oblivion. Still much better than Rags, for instance icon_e_wink.gif

His purple -> blue is still about as powerful I'd say, more consistent definitely.
    His red is no longer a spam-able skill (which they said themselves they do not want -- 5 ap should be minimum cost for skills as they say) but it does decent damage for 8 AP (it's no Fireball) and you basically don't have to worry about the enemy team using their teamup ability for awhile.
    His blue -> yellow definitely got nerfed, but that was obviously going to happen. The random nature does the new skill not that great, and i'd rather have lower amount of tiles converted with selected tiles.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does the level 5 yellow always hit countdowns if they're up, or is it a random chance to hit? C. Mags might actually be a really cool counter pick to countdown guys if it always hit.

I think moving C. Mags from blue/purple/red to yellow/red/blue really hurts his place in the meta. Translocation was the only active purple ability that is generally good on all teams on offense (bird strike sucks, fury isn't available to everyone, deadpool is expensive, gsbw/daredevil are unplayable in PvE), so now we're left with a character with a good blue, okay red, and average to below average yellow.

This is definitely d3's best attempt at balancing as of late though: Translocation is now one of the best blue abilities in the game, so many teams will gladly take a character with a strong blue ability and two passable red/yellow ones. This clearly isn't the end of the line for the character like it was with Spidey/Rags. New C. Mags is probably now around mid-tier: I would put him near characters like LazyCap, Torch, etc.
  • I think these are fine, and it's looking like 355 may be the way to go now (so my 533 isn't great), but I'm unclear on the red.
    The way it is written suggests it might be AOE damage, is this the case or is it targeted? It's very, very good if it's AOE, and decent if it's not.
  • Unknown
    edited August 2014
    I can't believe this, those changes are horrendeous.

It's a completely new character.

You didn't change him, you smushed him into a pile of goo and rebuilt him out of that. Like a chicken nugget.

Earlier he had 2 cheap abilities you could use with strike tiles. And a powerful damaging one. Now instead of providing support in the form of shakeup and board manipulation he has 2 big damage dealing abilities. Plus one of them is tied to Team-UP, great.

It's a Punisher with Protect Tiles now. My best 2 chars are 140 Patch and 114 Magneto, which are what I use to play in PVP. This is a huge blow to me. Magneto is completely unusable for me now.

I would have been ok with changing either the blue or red completely but taking away both of them is almost an insult to him. Those were his signature moves. Remove the ridiculous 2nd ability and just tack on an AP cost at all Levels to the old one. Why does he need 2 big damage abilities?

To reiterate, I am not saying it's a terrible character now. Just that instead of tweaking his abilities you took the Butcher's Cleaver and turned him into an entirely different character. Magneto's lesser known 2nd cousin, Polarity Boy!
  • Beast1970
    Beast1970 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    My immediate concern, and one that someone else has most likely already figured out, is how to deal with Hulk. Before we could use Spidey to stun lock and avoid the massive Hulk anger, after that nerf many turned to Magneto to utilize his powers to take down a fully leveled Hulk. Now I'm thinking the new cheap shield will be Hulks for everyone, as he will be difficult to manage without losing a significant amount of health as his anger cascades the board. I know some of the higher metas, like Daken and Sentry can still take him on, but our choices are getting more and more narrow. As we concentrate on nerfs more than buffs (and I know some buffs were introduced as well), I think we tend to see other characters become OP as what used to work for checks and balances is removed. Just my 2 cents, not a rant.
  • Nobody used CMags for his purple, and his red was decent exactly due to his low AP cost. Now there are at least six 3* characters with better red powers (Punisher, Thor, Wolverine, Deadpool, Torch, Sentry) and three 3* heroes with better purple powers (Daken, Grey Widow, Falcon). Yup, I'd say they killed Magneto. R.I.P.
  • Beast1970 wrote:
    My immediate concern, and one that someone else has most likely already figured out, is how to deal with Hulk. Before we could use Spidey to stun lock and avoid the massive Hulk anger, after that nerf many turned to Magneto to utilize his powers to take down a fully leveled Hulk. Now I'm thinking the new cheap shield will be Hulks for everyone, as he will be difficult to manage without losing a significant amount of health as his anger cascades the board. I know some of the higher metas, like Daken and Sentry can still take him on, but our choices are getting more and more narrow. As we concentrate on nerfs more than buffs (and I know some buffs were introduced as well), I think we tend to see other characters become OP as what used to work for checks and balances is removed. Just my 2 cents, not a rant.

Why should there be an easy way to deal with Hulk, a character that contributes a negligible amount of offense? In most cases you'd end up taking significantly less damage if you let Hulk use his red/green instead of whoever else that can use red/green on the same team, so why shouldn't he be very good at slowing you down? A Thunder Strike into Call the Storm combo will still usually take care of him, especially now that it'd take longer to get all that AP without Magneto so you've more time to pile on the match damage on Hulk.
  • I think he's usable, which means he's better than I anticipated, but he's probably a below average 3* now. I doubt I'll use him much. I'll probably keep mine at 5/3/5. It is a pity to see his purple go.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    sorcered wrote:
    Nobody used CMags for his purple, and his red was decent exactly due to his low AP cost. Now there are at least six 3* characters with better red powers (Punisher, Thor, Wolverine, Deadpool, Torch, Sentry) and three 3* heroes with better purple powers (Daken, Grey Widow, Falcon). Yup, I'd say they killed Magneto. R.I.P.

...I used cmags for his purple.
  • Twysta wrote:
    sorcered wrote:
    Nobody used CMags for his purple, and his red was decent exactly due to his low AP cost. Now there are at least six 3* characters with better red powers (Punisher, Thor, Wolverine, Deadpool, Torch, Sentry) and three 3* heroes with better purple powers (Daken, Grey Widow, Falcon). Yup, I'd say they killed Magneto. R.I.P.

So did I, especially against Hulk. This is functionally a Hulk buff.
  • I like it. Most likely not A-tier anymore, but I'll be more than happy to use him when he's featured and/or buffed
  • NorthernPolarity
    sorcered wrote:

The beginning of many "the sky is falling" posts from the hoards of patchneto users. His purple was one of the main sources of damage in Punisher or Torch/C. Mags/Hood, and was the best purple ability in the game. You also can't compare Daken's purple (which is a passive that depends on green matches) to C. Mag's active purple ability that nukes an enemy character. Widow is somewhat comparable but unplayable in PvP, and Falcon's purple is easily a lot worse than C. Mags purple. Again, this changes him from the god tier, wrecks every single character on offense to a balanced, middle of the road support character. If that's your definition of "killing" a character, then sure, C. Mags is dead, but the game is healthier because of it. It's not like he was nerfed like Spidey/Rags to bottom tier.
  • Twysta wrote:
    sorcered wrote:

Stop pulling my leg, please. I have him 5/3/5 as well, but using purple was in no way his primary purpose, more if a byproduct icon_e_smile.gif
  • sorcered wrote:

The beginning of many "the sky is falling" posts from the hoards of patchneto users. His purple was one of the main sources of damage in Punisher or Torch/C. Mags/Hood, and was the best purple ability in the game. You also can't compare Daken's purple (which is a passive that depends on green matches) to C. Mag's active purple ability that nukes an enemy character. Widow is somewhat comparable but unplayable in PvP, and Falcon's purple is easily a lot worse than C. Mags purple. Again, this changes him from the god tier, wrecks every single character on offense to a balanced, middle of the road support character. If that's your definition of "killing" a character, then sure, C. Mags is dead, but the game is healthier because of it. It's not like he was nerfed like Spidey/Rags to bottom tier.

Who's using second rate heroes like Punisher or Human Torch when we still have Thor, Sentry, Daken etc? In a world where AlL heroes are second rate, yes, maybe CMags will be sometimes useful. Until then, though, there's absolutely no reason to dust him off, if you can play a better hero instead, of which are many.
  • gamar wrote:
    I like it. Most likely not A-tier anymore, but I'll be more than happy to use him when he's featured and/or buffed

You're even using Loki when he's featured...
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    sorcered wrote:
    Twysta wrote:
    sorcered wrote:

Stop pulling my leg, please. I have him 5/3/5 as well, but using purple was in no way his primary purpose, more if a byproduct icon_e_smile.gif

There is no leg pulling or crank yanking of any sort!
    My build is 4/4/5!

h7E45D5A6
  • sorcered wrote:
    gamar wrote:
    I like it. Most likely not A-tier anymore, but I'll be more than happy to use him when he's featured and/or buffed

Yeah but I'm not HAPPY about it
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,319 Site Admin
    gamar wrote:
    sorcered wrote:
    gamar wrote:

Yeah but I'm not HAPPY about it
    Oh, come on. Don't tell me you don't giggle when you use Patch's Berserker Rage followed by a Trickery.
  • Whoa. Time to max my Loki ASAP icon_e_smile.gif
  • NorthernPolarity
    sorcered wrote:
    sorcered wrote:

Who's using second rate heroes like Punisher or Human Torch when we still have Thor, Sentry, Daken etc? In a world where AlL heroes are second rate, yes, maybe CMags will be sometimes useful. Until then, though, there's absolutely no reason to dust him off, if you can play a better hero instead, of which are many.

In PvP, there is no reason to play any other hero in the game except Sentry+Daken or Sentry+Hood, so I don't see how your logic of "no reason to dust him off" really applies here because you can say the same thing about any other character in the game that isn't Sentry+Daken or Sentry+Hood. My comment refers mostly to PvE events where you want to build a team composition that works best with the featured characters, and in the events where Pun/Torch were featured, C. Mags was by far the best character you could pair with them, and having a good purple contributed heavily to why that was the case.