*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Comments

• I had full powers 3* Magnetos lay me out with purple on my opponents 2nd turn three different times in Heavy Metal event. At full strength, he would just one shot kill one of my heroes right away and the match was pretty much lost. After the second time I was keeping track, and he did not have the 10 AP needed to cast it. Completely screwed me from being able to compete for much needed Daken covers (which always seems to happen to me when Daken covers are up for grabs, but that's a whole other story).

This happen to anyone else?
  • Bump.

This has been happening to me since the update. The first time it was Mags firing off MT at 9 purple, the second was Patch using berserker rage at 8 green. I'm aware that the AI's ap doesn't update until the end of their turn, but both skills were used as the first skill of their respective turns – i.e. Mags didn't use a red first which would have caused a cascade giving them the last ap needed for the skills.

I've heard people complaining about this before, especially on the Steam forums, but I had never actually had it happen before this patch. Now I feel bad for thinking all those people were paranoid or misinformed.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    The problem was identified months ago. How is this not fixed yet?

I can't even deny him purple matches because Hood just steals them anyway. Megneto is *the single most annoying character* to play against because *every single turn* I have to wait a minute whle he goes through his routine of dropping defense tiles and blowing up a few random tiles because he always has 2 reds in the bank.

And then the ultimate screw you to the gamer. That purple movie that does at least 7000 damage. Killed my full health 2* Thor in one go. All because it's counting the damage wrong. How, exactly, is that a difficult fix to impliment? Surely it's a matter of changing the numbers in the calculation?

Fighting him drives me to the brink of madness, I tell you. I make a move, then go off to make a cup of coffee while he spends his time screwing me over.
  • He's generally considered one of the easiest popular 3* to beat. He has fairly low health compared to most of the other popular 3*, and his purple only does that much damage at 5 covers. Anyone smart has 3 on that and 5 on his other 2. If you're seeing hood+cmags, that a freaking blessing. That's some really low health. Now, he'll probably win the retaliation, but honestly, even 2* Thor and/or ares+obw should be able to beat patchneto or these hood+cmags teams your seeing. And there's no way the ai drops protect tiles every turn because they need to get 5 ap again, unlike a real player who would drop them into a match 5. And without patch's strike tiles his red does negligible damage
  • Dragon_Nexus
    I'm talking about the PvE fight against a level 215 Magneto and 215 Hood.
  • I'm talking about the PvE fight against a level 215 Magneto and 215 Hood.
    Ooooooh, that's different. 215 cmags would not be a fun time. At least he's rarely a pve enemy.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Dude, PvE Mags has 5/5/5 covers which no real player can have, but likewise PvE Ares and Moonstone can have 5/5/5 builds at levels surpassing their natural 94 limit. I agree, the Hood/Magneto node is artificially made very difficult by higher levels (3* players can have it as high as 300+), but if Mags still hasn't been nerfed by the time you can fight Hood/Magneto in Versus, too, you'll laugh at how easy he is compared to Daken/Sentry teams. True story. Hood is trickier, but his health is even lower.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Even so, even without a 5/5/5 layout, that purple attack is broken. The devs have said it themselves, I'm pretty sure. I seem to recall it counts the swapped tiles twice, if memory serves. Like if it swaps a red for a blue, it counts damage for the blue tile that moves as well as the red tile moving. so it does twice as much damage as it's meant to.

It's strange that this simple maths issue isn't solvable. Hell, you don't even need to re-write the coding so it only damages with blue tiles, just have the swap damage halved.

Also it's still tedious as all hell to fight him when he makes a red move every turn, and a blue move every other turns which drops your damage to 1 every round. I did beat him right after my last message because I got an utterly ridiculous cascade that gave me 9 green and 9 reds, so one red match later, Patch kickin butt and Captain America's shield and he was dead straight off. Lucky me, huh? Finally a cascade in *my* favour.
  • Even so, even without a 5/5/5 layout, that purple attack is broken. The devs have said it themselves, I'm pretty sure. I seem to recall it counts the swapped tiles twice, if memory serves. Like if it swaps a red for a blue, it counts damage for the blue tile that moves as well as the red tile moving. so it does twice as much damage as it's meant to.

It's strange that this simple maths issue isn't solvable. Hell, you don't even need to re-write the coding so it only damages with blue tiles, just have the swap damage halved.

Also it's still tedious as all hell to fight him when he makes a red move every turn, and a blue move every other turns which drops your damage to 1 every round. I did beat him right after my last message because I got an utterly ridiculous cascade that gave me 9 green and 9 reds, so one red match later, Patch kickin butt and Captain America's shield and he was dead straight off. Lucky me, huh? Finally a cascade in *my* favour.
    I've never seen the damage counted twice per swap, and i use him in every fight, so this must be a bug to be fixed, not an inherent problem with the ability. When working as it should its not op in any way because it requires a bunch of red and blue tiles, which the ai cmags would be matching for its other abilities. And you realize you're talking about one fight in one pve, right? It's not that big a deal.
  • Broken... Wait for it.... Record.

This has been addressed over and over. The c mags Nerf is coming. Buffs and Nerfs get spread out. Plus, working to fix tu's and working on characters like dp, it's not a shock hasn't happened yet. I'd trade dp and dp event for a Nerf delay any day.

Lastly, I'm guessing op does not have a viable c mags, so obviously should rant in the wrong thread instead of suggestions or character.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Mags' purple used to be 'broken' - it only counted blue tiles for the swaps and ignored reds, meaning you could launch it whenever the board had a lot of blues, and you can always add blue yourself, but it was changed at least a couple of months ago to counting both red/blue, so it's working properly now and requires both red and blue. If you want to claim double damage on any ability, be it PvP or PvE, make screenshots, i.e. pics or didn't happen.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    why does this guy tank yellow when he has no yellow ability?
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    why does this guy tank yellow when he has no yellow ability?
    So you could hide his long pajamas wearing butt behind someone else's Purple match tile.
  • I my tinykitty god. It's been 6 months of fighting him in just about every fight. Cascade after cascade and no covers to be seen for me to spam spam spam on my side. Do what you said you were going to do devs. If your not going to nerf him then feature him so we can earn his covers. I'm on day 292 and only have 8 of his. Maybe I would have spent money on him but Christmas time there was already info saying he would be merged soon. But no. Now it's Basically September and nothing. IceX said his Q&A in May it would happen soon. **** do it already.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,319 Site Admin
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,319 Site Admin
    Since each of these changes are a little long and the conversation for each character is relatively self contained, I'm making a thread for each character containing the changes and reasoning for that character. Yes, this'll make the stickies area a little big for a bit until they go Live. And yes, this probably should be in Character Discussion, but since it's Patch Note related, it's staying here.

Magneto is pretty well one of the most overpowered characters in current meta. His Magnetic Translocation can do massive damage, his Magnetic Field can be fired off pretty much infinitely at higher levels, and his Magnetized Projectile is a cheap board shaker that also does massive damage with accompanying Strike tiles on the board. He's supposed to be a powerful mutant, but Magneto in his current form could go up against the whole of the X-Men, and with a couple Starting AP Boosts, demolish them before they got a turn. He's a bit much. There's also the weirdness in having his abilities not match hit color strengths. So let's fix that while we're at it.

Magnetic Field -> Coercive Field
      Magnetic Field is an infinite AP generator as long as you have something to shake up the board to introduce some new Blue tiles. Even at base level there's still a darned good chance at getting at least 5 AP of the 9 spent back. Then you also generate a Critical tile and probably a cascade for some extra damage. An easy fix isn't really in the cards without pretty well destroying the ability. Just taking away the AP reductions isn't tenable, as grabbing 12-15 AP makes this just as powerful as before. Reducing it to one tile placement or making the tiles only placeable on Blue turns the ability from awesome to horrible in one fell swoop. After analyzing how the ability works and knowing that our original intent is to make this a strong shield, we decided to redesign it a bit. The new version of the ability moves away from creating new colors of tiles. Immediately it's no longer an AP generator. But that alone, as stated above, makes it pretty underpowered. So we decided to raise the number of tiles it creates but offset that by placing the tiles randomly. At max level the ability provides a relatively cheap and heavy decrease in incoming damage with 477 points of protection put out. And at the same time, it can also overtake enemy tiles at it levels, so a Storm (Mohawk) Hailstorm can be heavily blunted with a single cast of Magneto's powers. Overall, this power change allows the ability to match the original concept of a strong defensive ability that can decisively change the flow of combat when used. It may not be an infinite combo any more, but it's still powerful in its own right.
      Old
      Magnetic Field - Blue 9 AP
      Magneto summons an electromagnetic shield, turning 2 chosen tiles into Blue Protect tiles, each with a strength of 9.

New
        Coercive Field - Yellow 9 AP
        The air crackles as Magneto creates a force field of magnetic energy to protect his allies. Converts 6 random basic color tiles into strength 11 Protect tiles.

Magnetized Projectile -> Polarizing Force
          Much like Magnetic Field, the low cost and board shake up that this ability offered was just too much. Combine that with its incredible scalability with Strike tiles and this ability was an extremely low cost nightmare. So it needed to go back to the drawing board. We needed a way of keeping the soul of the ability intact while not making it uber destructive on its own. With Team-Up AP having entered the game, we saw an opportunity to use that with his powers in a very Magneto-esque way. He's a past master at making sure that his opponents can't gang up on him or his allies. So instead of destroying random tiles, instead he blows up all the AP tiles on the board. This keeps the board shift flavor of the old version and also deprives the opponent of what can be very powerful AP matches. At the same time, we still want the ability to be damaging. The old version of this did so very randomly, with lots of low cost cheap pings at the board to cause cascades and deal a little damage in the process. This then exacerbated itself by pairing well with Strike tiles. So to fix this, we flipped the destruction to a larger number of tiles for a larger expenditure in AP. This still means that with Strike tiles out, it'll do a hefty amount of damage, but that damage won't be centralized there. On an average board Magneto will be blowing up around 9 AP tiles per use, so a single blast of 8 AP will shake up the board heavily and knock around the enemy for 2400-ish damage plus assorted cascades.
          Old
          Magnetized Projectile - Red 6 AP
          Magneto propels magnetized projectiles at his enemies destroying 5 random tiles and dealing an extra 21 damage.

New
            Polarizing Force - Red 8 AP
            Magnet hurls a massive metal object towards the heart of the enemy team, landing with tremendous force and causing them to scatter. Destroys all Team-Up tiles, dealing 27 damage per tile. Does not generate AP.

Magnetic Translocation -> Magnetized Projectiles
              Magnetic Translocation worked pretty well on its own but scaled just a bit too high. And worse than that, 13 tiles swaps almost never happened so that power generally never got worked out. So while we were looking at the rest of the abilities, we figured we may as well give this one a once over. First off, we flipped this ability to Blue from Purple as Blue makes more sense for a board ability, and it keeps with Magneto's color strengths. Then we reworked the damage scaling so that it does more damage out the outset and tops off a little lower than the mass destruction it could cause before. It still does a quite hefty chunk of damage at 4991 for 7 swaps, which it'll do in most cases with an average board.
              Old
              Magnetic Translocation - Purple 10 AP
              Exploiting metals buried in the earth, Magneto lifts and moves huge sections of the battlefield, dropping them violently. Swaps up to 5 random Blue tiles with Red tiles. Does 38 damage for each swap.

New
                Magnetized Projectiles - Blue 10 AP
                Magneto turns metallic objects into deadly projectiles, causing devastation and chaos. Swaps up to 5 random Blue tiles with Red tiles. Does 93 damage for each swap.

Changes in full:
                  - Altered abilities for better balance Old
                  Magnetic Field - Blue 9 AP
                  Magneto summons an electromagnetic shield, turning 2 chosen tiles into Blue Protect tiles, each with a strength of 9.
                  Level Upgrades
                  Level 2: Costs 1 AP less.
                  Level 3: Costs 1 AP less.
                  Level 4: Costs 1 AP less.
                  Level 5: Costs 1 AP less.
                  Max Level: Damage reduced by 59 per Protect tile

New
                    Coercive Field - Yellow 9 AP
                    The air crackles as Magneto creates a force field of magnetic energy to protect his allies. Converts 6 random basic color tiles into strength 11 Protect tiles.
                    Level Upgrades
                    Level 2: Can convert enemy Protect, Strike and Attack tiles.
                    Level 3: Converts 8 tiles.
                    Level 4: Converts 9 tiles.
                    Level 5: Creates strength 17 Protect tiles and can now also convert enemy Countdown tiles.
                    Max Level: Creates 9 Strength 53 Protect tiles

Old
                      Magnetized Projectile - Red 6 AP
                      Magneto propels magnetized projectiles at his enemies destroying 5 random tiles and dealing an extra 21 damage.
                      Level Upgrades
                      Level 2: Costs 1 AP less.
                      Level 3: Costs 1 AP less.
                      Level 4: Costs 1 AP less.
                      Level 5: Costs 1 AP less.
                      Max Level: 133 extra damage

New
                        Polarizing Force - Red 8 AP
                        Magnet hurls a massive metal object towards the heart of the enemy team, landing with tremendous force and causing them to scatter. Destroys all Team-Up tiles, dealing 27 damage per tile. Does not generate AP.
                        Level Upgrades
                        Level 2: Deals 43 damage per tile.
                        Level 3: Deals 49 damage per tile.
                        Level 4: Deals 59 damage per tile.
                        Level 5: Deals 81 damage per tile.
                        Max Level: 261 damage per tile

Old
                          Magnetic Translocation - Purple 10 AP
                          Exploiting metals buried in the earth, Magneto lifts and moves huge sections of the battlefield, dropping them violently. Swaps up to 5 random Blue tiles with Red tiles. Does 38 damage for each swap.
                          Level Upgrades
                          Level 2: Swaps up to 6 tiles.
                          Level 3: Swaps up to 7 tiles. Max damage 457 per swap.
                          Level 4: Swaps up to 9 tiles. Max damage 640 per swap.
                          Level 5: Swaps up to 13 tiles. Max damage 745 per swap.

New
                            Magnetized Projectiles - Blue 10 AP
                            Magneto turns metallic objects into deadly projectiles, causing devastation and chaos. Swaps up to 5 random Blue tiles with Red tiles. Does 93 damage for each swap.
                            Level Upgrades
                            Level 2: Does 126 damage for each swap.
                            Level 3: Swaps up to 6 tiles.
                            Level 4: Does 169 damage for each swap.
                            Level 5: Swaps up to 7 random tiles and does 224 damage for each swap.
                            Max Level: 713 damage per swap. Max damage of 4991.
                          • I"m pleasantly surpised by the Nerf. Not sure why it did not come out sooner now.
                          • No longer being able to select the tiles to convert makes him completely useless. Oh well, it was to be expected, with your previous history of nerfing heroes into oblivion. I hope I'm wrong, though.
                          • TheHueyFreeman
                            TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
                            So he has falcon's cheaper purple and storm's more powerful yellow. I appreciate trying not to nerf him into oblivion but in the current meta, I'm not sure that it hasn't still happened... just not as harshly. It depends on how well the board shake up works with him
                          • I'm not prepared to digest all of this yet, but one big thing that jumps out at me is why exactly did we have to lose one of the only good active purple abilities at the 3* level? We need more good purple powers, not less.