*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think his new yellow is being under rated. At level 5 he can convert CD tile and at level 2 he can convert enemy attack, strike tiles. He can defend against Sentry WR, he can still pair with Patch, and possibly overwrite the purple strike tiles. He has a strong shield and 2 strong attacks. He feels really balanced to me. I do wish his new blue would have stayed purple, but I don't think it is a huge deal since he pairs will pair with green users. On the 3* level his blue will be the most powerful, and his red with strike tiles will probably down 1 opponent. Overall he is still very playable and that is very, very good.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    His new yellow will be very good and very annoying. Red is meh, blue is more consistent but less max dmg. Pretty much you want him 5/3/5
  • Having mulled it over a little more, I'm just not sure I understand these changes. This isn't really a buff, or a nerf, or even an adjustment. It's basically a completely different character, and one that on paper doesn't look nearly as interesting as the previous one, even given a reasonable adjustment of his old powers.

Why did his blue have to be radically redesigned? Just upping the cost to 6 AP would have solved most of the problem. That alone would have made making match-4s and -5s unsustainable over any reasonable period of time, and if his red was adjusted to be less of a cheap board reset you're in all likelihood going to run out of blue to match pretty quickly anyway. Still not enough? Make it end the turn. Have your match-5 and your crit tile that better get matched away or your two protect tiles to overwrite anything you want and pass control over to the enemy. Problem solved. Instead now we have random protect tile placement on yellow? Yay? It might have originally been intended as a defensive power, but it hasn't ever been that in practice. With this redesign you've taken away the fun part of the character, creative board control, and given us a cheaper Bird Strike on a different color. I don't get it.

Now granted his red needed to be fixed. Spammable board juggling is just way too much when combined with his blue and strike tiles from any other source. Couldn't we have just jacked up the damage and the cost here and called it a day as well? Or if it simply had to be changed, how about making it more expensive, more surgical in its destruction, to keep that mastermind kind of feel. How did it turn into Storm's power minus the AP collection? This just seems like a very lazy "fix".

This last one just baffles me. Why did his nuke have to get moved off of purple? The adjustments don't seem unreasonable at a glance, practice may prove otherwise, but I just don't understand why losing one of the few good active purples was necessary. You just introduced a new purple damage power on Deadpool, an AoE no less, so it's not like this is some kind of sweeping game reform. It's just one less good active purple power for seemingly no good reason. We're down to five now out of twenty four 3* characters, and most of those are either marginal, on marginal characters, or both. Again, I don't get it.

These changes took an incredibly long time to materialize, and presumably a lot of development resources that could have been spent on other things. I understand the need for adjustment, but transforming the character this way doesn't really seem to make sense, and on paper doesn't feel very satisfying. You seem to have lost the flavor of the character completely. Now he's one part Falcon, one part Storm, and has had his nuke moved from a rare color to a more crowded one. This doesn't appear to have been a good use of time or resources. There were easier and faster ways to have addressed the issues with this character without ending up here, wherever this is.
  • So just in time for Beast, Cmags loses the ability to place cheap blue special tiles. Too bad, Cmags and Beast were going to be bestest friends.

I suppose the 9 yellow shield scattergun might produce a blue special, but I was really hoping a cheap blue special survived the nerf. Guess not.
  • sorcered wrote:
    Nobody used CMags for his purple, and his red was decent exactly due to his low AP cost. Now there are at least six 3* characters with better red powers (Punisher, Thor, Wolverine, Deadpool, Torch, Sentry) and three 3* heroes with better purple powers (Daken, Grey Widow, Falcon). Yup, I'd say they killed Magneto. R.I.P.

i did, he had the best purple on the game
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    He doesnt seem to be nerfed too bad. I just dont care for the "random tile" selection. What good is trying to stop a count down if you cant convert it. That was what I mainly used CMag for in the first place. To convert enemy tiles.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    sorcered wrote:
    Nobody used CMags for his purple, and his red was decent exactly due to his low AP cost. Now there are at least six 3* characters with better red powers (Punisher, Thor, Wolverine, Deadpool, Torch, Sentry) and three 3* heroes with better purple powers (Daken, Grey Widow, Falcon). Yup, I'd say they killed Magneto. R.I.P.

i did, he had the best purple on the game

yeah me too, mine is 5/3/5 and he was part of my sim team simply cause of his purple, with this adjustment that means in high end play the only viable purples are Deadpool and Fury.
  • There's not much point for a strong defensive ability until the broken offense stuff is all fixed because a broken offense will often defeat even a broken defense let alone one that is still within reason. But you can't just say because offense is broken there's no point for them to even try to make strong defensive characters. The yellow is very strong defensively against anyone who isn't capable of killing someone in one move (e.g. Sentry, Thor). The red does decent damage and provides a strong cascade and you can actually know the outcome of it if you take some time to study the board as opposed to other board shakeup abilities. Purple is a stronger color to have a damaging move than blue, but solid blue damaging moves are almost nonexistent too (only Fury has one. Daken ends up giving up too much strike tile strength though that may change after his strike tiles are nerfed). No I won't be playing him while I still have Sentry but the same can be said of virtually anyone else that isn't horrendously broken. After this batch of changes, only Sentry remains totally overpowered while Thor and Hood are overpowered but barely balanced (Thor is slow, Hood has no HP, doesn't make them fair but it makes it barely balanced) while X Force becomes the new 'big number everything guy' but at least he's justified for being a 4* and his black could be defended some of the time.

In the short run I'll be using Daken + Sentry. In the long run there doesn't seem to be a clear overpowered team except that X Force now has the best baseline stats, but who compliments him the best is not clear to me yet.
  • No one was scared of magnetos red power I was hoping it would be buffed while the other two powers were nerfed but yet some how it was nerfed

"Polarizing Force - Red 8 AP
    Magnet hurls a massive metal object towards the heart of the enemy team, landing with tremendous force and causing them to scatter. Destroys all Team-Up tiles, dealing 27 damage per tile. Does not generate AP."

if it generated ap it would be a great ability but as it is it stinks.
  • MonkeySlut wrote:
    No one was scared of magnetos red power I was hoping it would be buffed while the other two powers were nerfed but yet some how it was nerfed

Magnet hurls a massive metal object towards the heart of the enemy team, landing with tremendous force and causing them to scatter. Destroys all Team-Up tiles, dealing 27 damage per tile. Does not generate AP."

It does good damage (not amazing, but good) and WILL cause multiple cascades. If you don't think clearing teamups makes much of a difference go to the second mission in the first PVE campaign and swap a couple tiles around.

Compare it to mStorm's Misstress of the Elements.
  • Am I the only one that calculates what tiles will fall back when Mistress of the Storm cleared all environmental tiles to see if it'll cascade into something nice before using it? Sure, right now in the time it takes you to do that someone would've beaten you with Sentry, so it's not a practical use of your time, but hopefully the insane pace of PvP will slow down at some point when they finally realize how broken Sentry is.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Mags is sitting at 3/3/3 so I'm in a prime decision to decide which way I'm gonna go. Gonna put in some games in simulator as soon as update hits.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    ark123 wrote:
    MonkeySlut wrote:
    No one was scared of magnetos red power I was hoping it would be buffed while the other two powers were nerfed but yet some how it was nerfed

It does good damage (not amazing, but good) and WILL cause multiple cascades. If you don't think clearing teamups makes much of a difference go to the second mission in the first PVE campaign and swap a couple tiles around.

Which also generates 6-7 environmental AP for 1 more cost
  • Thugpatrol wrote:
    Having mulled it over a little more, I'm just not sure I understand these changes. This isn't really a buff, or a nerf, or even an adjustment. It's basically a completely different character, and one that on paper doesn't look nearly as interesting as the previous one, even given a reasonable adjustment of his old powers.

Why did his blue have to be radically redesigned? Just upping the cost to 6 AP would have solved most of the problem. That alone would have made making match-4s and -5s unsustainable over any reasonable period of time, and if his red was adjusted to be less of a cheap board reset you're in all likelihood going to run out of blue to match pretty quickly anyway. Still not enough? Make it end the turn. Have your match-5 and your crit tile that better get matched away or your two protect tiles to overwrite anything you want and pass control over to the enemy. Problem solved. Instead now we have random protect tile placement on yellow? Yay? It might have originally been intended as a defensive power, but it hasn't ever been that in practice. With this redesign you've taken away the fun part of the character, creative board control, and given us a cheaper Bird Strike on a different color. I don't get it.

Now granted his red needed to be fixed. Spammable board juggling is just way too much when combined with his blue and strike tiles from any other source. Couldn't we have just jacked up the damage and the cost here and called it a day as well? Or if it simply had to be changed, how about making it more expensive, more surgical in its destruction, to keep that mastermind kind of feel. How did it turn into Storm's power minus the AP collection? This just seems like a very lazy "fix".

This last one just baffles me. Why did his nuke have to get moved off of purple? The adjustments don't seem unreasonable at a glance, practice may prove otherwise, but I just don't understand why losing one of the few good active purples was necessary. You just introduced a new purple damage power on Deadpool, an AoE no less, so it's not like this is some kind of sweeping game reform. It's just one less good active purple power for seemingly no good reason. We're down to five now out of twenty four 3* characters, and most of those are either marginal, on marginal characters, or both. Again, I don't get it.

These changes took an incredibly long time to materialize, and presumably a lot of development resources that could have been spent on other things. I understand the need for adjustment, but transforming the character this way doesn't really seem to make sense, and on paper doesn't feel very satisfying. You seem to have lost the flavor of the character completely. Now he's one part Falcon, one part Storm, and has had his nuke moved from a rare color to a more crowded one. This doesn't appear to have been a good use of time or resources. There were easier and faster ways to have addressed the issues with this character without ending up here, wherever this is.

Well put and well reasoned. Interesting to note that Spidey's blue also could have been fixed the exact same way suggested, rather than trashing the character.
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Perhaps it's in anticipation of more characters and more funbalancing to come?

The lack of Purple users makes me scratch my head (maybe it's to encourage people to pair him differently with other characters) but I'm even more baffled as to why it's Magneto of all characters to lose a Purple ability - his costume IS purple and magenta-red dominant. The swap to blue 'making more sense' for a board ability doesn't really make much sense to me save for the fact that we're swapping reds and blues but maybe I'm not understanding something in the change information.

To me, it's like taking away Daredevil's Red or Punisher's Black or the Wolvervine's Yellow or Captain America's Blue and Red.

That said... Thank you, Ice, for the post. I for one appreciate seeing the rationale that went into the changes even if I don't fully understand them. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Spoit wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    MonkeySlut wrote:

Which also generates 6-7 environmental AP for 1 more cost

Which is a pathetic tradeoff considering it doesn't completely clear teamups from the board. I'd take polarizing lvl 1 over Mistress lvl 5. Easily. This is an amazing battery power.
  • SunCrusher wrote:
    I'm even more baffled as to why it's Magneto of all characters to lose a Purple ability - his costume IS purple and magenta-red dominant.

To me, it's like taking away Daredevil's Red or Punisher's Black or the Wolvervine's Yellow or Captain America's Blue and Red.
    Yes, exactly. All of that.

And yet we here we are, with no purple for the Magster. We also have a Psylocke who neither matches purple nor has a purple power, despite having an AP stealing power which logically could have been purple like most of the other AP stealing powers. I mean, have you seen Psylocke? Did you notice anything about her? Anything...slightly...purplish? Just a little maybe? Not that I'm bitter or anything. icon_razz.gif
  • You guys are looking at in the wrong direction. This new red makes him a crazy good battery.
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    SunCrusher wrote:
    I'm even more baffled as to why it's Magneto of all characters to lose a Purple ability - his costume IS purple and magenta-red dominant.

Yes, exactly. All of that.

And yet we here we are, with no purple for the Magster. We also have a Psylocke who neither matches purple nor has a purple power, despite having an AP stealing power which logically could have been purple like most of the other AP stealing powers. I mean, have you seen Psylocke? Did you notice anything about her? Anything...slightly...purplish? Just a little maybe? Not that I'm bitter or anything. icon_razz.gif

I almost forgot her! So our two Purple-dominant characters have no Purples to speak of. Yeaaah, that's definitely baffling.

... Wait a minute. Does this mean Mags won't be tanking/hitting hard in his previous color matches matches anymore, either, and will be stronger in the new colors to reflect the color swaps? Or is it only the abilities themselves that change and not the color damage per match strengths?
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Translocation was the only active purple ability that is generally good on all teams on offense (bird strike sucks, fury isn't available to everyone, deadpool is expensive, gsbw/daredevil are unplayable in PvE), so now we're left with a character with a good blue, okay red, and average to below average yellow.
    I agree with a lot of this, but GSBW is quite playable in PvE.