Heroic Venom PvE Discussion Thread 4/10 - 4/17

Options

Comments

• Viorala wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Venom's shenanigans.

I was just coming to say that. That's exactly what Venom does. Even when I'm color denying purple, which admittedly isn't too often because who among the allowed roster can use it, but still, I've tried on occasion and he still stuns me way early. I think he's cheating.

In the second Venom fight, his helpers generate 3 purple AP a turn (or maybe it was 4). You can't deny purple effectively, not to mention there's literally no one on the roster that can make use of purple, so you're basically skipping your turn while he's still getting 3 purple a turn for free.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Viorala wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Venom's shenanigans.

I was just coming to say that. That's exactly what Venom does. Even when I'm color denying purple, which admittedly isn't too often because who among the allowed roster can use it, but still, I've tried on occasion and he still stuns me way early. I think he's cheating.

In the second Venom fight, his helpers generate 3 purple AP a turn (or maybe it was 4). You can't deny purple effectively, not to mention there's literally no one on the roster that can make use of purple, so you're basically skipping your turn while he's still getting 3 purple a turn for free.

Oh right. Well it seems like every Venom fight anyway. Go eat your own tongue, Venom.
  • Viorala wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Viorala wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Venom's shenanigans.

Oh right. Well it seems like every Venom fight anyway. Go eat your own tongue, Venom.

Assassin, analyst, lieutenant, and commander all generate purple AP, and he's usually associated with HAMMER guys.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I made sure to start fairly early before community scaling (not that large I know - raised levels by only 3 I think in 2 days) made levels too high for those first few venom fights. Just want to unlock the Yelena missions and I can at least be competitive with just those if the rest are too hard.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Lvl 121 Venom was giving me a hard time, too.
    +3 blue/purple and +3 all stockpiles save the day again *cringes*
    What don't we do to get access to the HT nodes...
    U9C3SxIl.png
  • Phantron wrote:
    There is obviously some disconnect between what is merely hard and what is impossible.

Daken, for example, is very very hard. But you can hope you might get lucky and not have too many green matches early until you can do something. Sure 9 out of 10 times this doesn't work and you still die, but you at least have a plan.

In a fight against Venom + 2 purple generator it goes like this:

You make your move.
    Venom makes his move, doesn't matter what.
    You make your move.
    Venom makes his move, doesn't matter what.
    You make your move.
    Venom stuns you and matches a purple
    Venom stuns you and matches whatever
    Venom stuns you.

There's nothing being 'good' would have any impact on this because it doesn't even matter what tiles Venom is matching when he's got 2 guys generating purple. I'm pretty sure nobody was actually doing those for points on Deadly after you got them out of the way the first time.

I think part of the problem is that these missions are still designed as 'anti-Spiderman' even though you can't even use him here. The Venom mission wouldn't be too hard if you could use Spiderman. Heck, you can get just let him stun first and let him build up some web tiles for you and then you can lock him down forever. But of course, we can't use Spiderman in this event at all, but the event doesn't seem to be aware of that, which is why we have the Venom + 2 purple generator. It'd be like having lazy Thor + 2 green generators in Simulator Basic. That's obviously designed with Spiderman in mind, and without Spiderman there's almost no conceiveable way you'd be able to beat that if the enemies are at least level 150+.

Yup, this.

Assuming Venom does not match any purple in the opening turns, the player has exactly THREE turns to burn down the Spy. Otherwise, perpetual stunlock and dinner mode is engaged for Venom.

Massive AP boosting and match damage PLUS hoping for the right colors on the board at start PLUS hoping for at least a minor cascade in your favor to either generate enough AP for Adamantium Slash and/or Rage of Panther is needed to even grant a small window of opportunity to win the fight.

Even with one purple generator, the fight is still difficult. At least with only the Analyst standing, the player has an opportunity to occasionally clear away Venom's web tiles before he starts Devouring characters.

I won one this on Deadly today through a miracle opening cascade plus Venom not clearing a Psylocke attack tile, which after an eternity wore out the Analyst and exposed Venom before he could eat all of my roster. Never playing that node ever again.
  • One easy fix I can think of in general is that goons should not generate AP while paired up with a villian. I mean imagine if you can have lazy Thor and 2 guys with 5800 HP that generates 2 green AP a turn and do absolutely nothing else (not even tile match strength). You'd routinely win most PvP games by turn 6. Goons should only generate AP when there is no one that can move the board on their side. This would include if their villian is downed.
  • Phantron wrote:
    One easy fix I can think of in general is that goons should not generate AP while paired up with a villian. I mean imagine if you can have lazy Thor and 2 guys with 5800 HP that generates 2 green AP a turn and do absolutely nothing else (not even tile match strength). You'd routinely win most PvP games by turn 6. Goons should only generate AP when there is no one that can move the board on their side. This would include if their villian is downed.
    I remember this one time where Lazy Thor did pair up with goons that generate green aps. icon_lol.gif
  • I still haven't bothered doing anything in this event except the two intro missions. Eventually I'll try to get access to the HT Required missions.

What's the best team to go with out of the available characters? More often than not, I was getting those awful games with a bunch of impossible to get countdown tiles.

EDIT: This event is the exact opposite of fun. Made the mistake of trying out one mission, and it absolutely refused to ever give me any sort of set up to try to get four in a row OR give me any Green tiles to be able to try to deal with HAMMER Sniper countdown tiles. What the hell?
  • RichHurtz wrote:
    I still haven't bothered doing anything in this event except the two intro missions. Eventually I'll try to get access to the HT Required missions.

What's the best team to go with out of the available characters? More often than not, I was getting those awful games with a bunch of impossible to get countdown tiles.

Black Panther/HT/Modern Storm.

If you don't have HT you got to use Wolverine to cover green for Modern Storm unless you have her at a very low level. Otherwise Storm is just going to die whenever she makes a green match. If you don't have Black Panther use whatever highest level character you have to substitute for him, but you'll have a huge power dropoff going from BP to anyone else on the roster.
  • MikeyMan wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    One easy fix I can think of in general is that goons should not generate AP while paired up with a villian. I mean imagine if you can have lazy Thor and 2 guys with 5800 HP that generates 2 green AP a turn and do absolutely nothing else (not even tile match strength). You'd routinely win most PvP games by turn 6. Goons should only generate AP when there is no one that can move the board on their side. This would include if their villian is downed.
    I remember this one time where Lazy Thor did pair up with goons that generate green aps. icon_lol.gif

Yeah, that mission is like I hope you brought Spiderman along, or you're dead in 5 turns.
  • Phantron wrote:
    RichHurtz wrote:
    I still haven't bothered doing anything in this event except the two intro missions. Eventually I'll try to get access to the HT Required missions.

Black Panther/HT/Modern Storm.

If you don't have HT you got to use Wolverine to cover green for Modern Storm unless you have her at a very low level. Otherwise Storm is just going to die whenever she makes a green match. If you don't have Black Panther use whatever highest level character you have to substitute for him, but you'll have a huge power dropoff going from BP to anyone else on the roster.

I would love to do that team, but the Black Panther I have is 0/1/1 Level 18. So it's going to be.... well, about as useless as everyone else I can use in this one. I have a 1 Green Torch, Maxed IM35 and MStorm, and a 75 Wolverine. But no matter what I do, nothing works even remotely well. If I'm lucky enough to actually win in this, I get maybe one or two before my team is wiped out. Right now, all this event is doing is costing me points in the 'Murica event. Haha.
  • Torch, IM35, and mStorm has actually worked surprisingly well for the goon fights. Need some more punch for the villains: Torch is my damage soaker, I use Wolvie and BT, and then Psylocke and Torch work well together too with mHawkeye. mHawekeye's stun is really useful except with Ragnaros so I focus on him first, hence needing a damage soaker.
  • RichHurtz wrote:

I would love to do that team, but the Black Panther I have is 0/1/1 Level 18. So it's going to be.... well, about as useless as everyone else I can use in this one. I have a 1 Green Torch, Maxed IM35 and MStorm, and a 75 Wolverine. But no matter what I do, nothing works even remotely well. If I'm lucky enough to actually win in this, I get maybe one or two before my team is wiped out. Right now, all this event is doing is costing me points in the 'Murica event. Haha.

You should not be expecting to get through this event without using health packs. If only one guy is wiped out in a fight that involves Daken that's usually pretty decent.

Try to do the HT required mission since those have the lowest level and is worth the most points. Alternatively you can do the 2 missions that are goons only if you're confident about your ability to stop countdown tiles. Otherwise just do the Yelena + 2 henchman, focus on getting enough red to take out Yelena fast and it should be manageable. Keep in mind when it's just down to goons, you want to save your AP for Mistress of the Storm + Lightning Strike over other damaging options to hit the countdown tiles you can't reach.
  • Sounds like my big weakness is that I didn't have a good enough team at the time to get BP and Psylocke covers... I doubt that's going to change too much before this event ends.

Phantron: Honestly, I was going to stick to just the Goon Only and the HT Required missions, but even those are proving to be impossible for me tonight for whatever reason. It's constantly being only able to make useless matches and impossible to deal with countdown tiles. Playing tonight is just getting me frustrated with the event.
  • RichHurtz wrote:
    Sounds like my big weakness is that I didn't have a good enough team at the time to get BP and Psylocke covers... I doubt that's going to change too much before this event ends.

Phantron: Honestly, I was going to stick to just the Goon Only and the HT Required missions, but even those are proving to be impossible for me tonight for whatever reason. It's constantly being only able to make useless matches and impossible to deal with countdown tiles. Playing tonight is just getting me frustrated with the event.

There's really no such thing as an easy mission on the deadly bracket. I've got plenty of wipeouts even on the 'easy' missions when I got a bad cascade. But Yelena + 2 goons is certainly far more doable than say, Venom + 2 purple generator, or Interference.
  • Phantron wrote:
    RichHurtz wrote:
    Sounds like my big weakness is that I didn't have a good enough team at the time to get BP and Psylocke covers... I doubt that's going to change too much before this event ends.

There's really no such thing as an easy mission on the deadly bracket. I've got plenty of wipeouts even on the 'easy' missions when I got a bad cascade. But Yelena + 2 goons is certainly far more doable than say, Venom + 2 purple generator, or Interference.

I'm not even talking about the Deadly Heroic Mode. This is in the regular one. I've been getting terrible boards in those missions I pointed out that make it nearly impossible to win all night. And if I do manage to win one, I'm left with 1 or 2 guys with just a little HP left.
  • RichHurtz wrote:

I'm not even talking about the Deadly Heroic Mode. This is in the regular one. I've been getting terrible boards in those missions I pointed out that make it nearly impossible to win all night. And if I do manage to win one, I'm left with 1 or 2 guys with just a little HP left.

Even normal can be quite humbling. I have lost to normal even though a single Rage of the Panther can wipe out the entire team. There's really no freebie in this round of heroics.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My boards seem to be better on the last day of Heroics round 1 after my teams got wiped out on earlier days. I say just try to send your team on kamikaze missions, let them heal or use health pack, play until they are dead again, and repeat all over. AI will take pity on you sooner or later - or maybe it's just my luck that I got those good boards on the last day.
  • MikeyMan wrote:

But that was during Simulator and you had your full range of characters available, this is a Heroic where none of the characters can steal or stun...

I swear the devs just wanna let us know how it feels like to be on the receiving end of a stun lock.