Heroic Venom PvE Discussion Thread 4/10 - 4/17

Options

Comments

• vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    RichHurtz wrote:
    What do you do to get people to join and pay for the next spot? Is it just something to do in the Alliances forum?

If your 5 man alliance is currently full you need to either drop someone or one of you has to pony up 600 HP to create an open spot. Then you get someone to join your alliance and they agree to pay for the next spot which will cost 700 HP. When they join you need to promote them to commander so they can buy the next spot. Rinse and repeat until you're a 20 man alliance.

There are a couple drawbacks which you should at least be aware of--once someone is a commander you can't kick them out of the alliance. This means there's the risk that they could say that they will pay for the next spot and then refuse to do so. I don't think this is widespread issue but I'm sure it's happened to someone. It also means that if the person stops playing the game in the future there's essentially a dead spot in your roster unless they drop out before they go. Again, haven't heard of this happening yet but I'm sure it will in the future. However, the system is necessary because people won't be willing to drop significant amounts of HP on an alliance spot if they could be kicked out immediately afterwards.

Even with the risks, the opportunity cost of not expanding your alliance is huge. As previously stated I've received around ten 3* covers for 800 HP. Even if I had spent 2,000 HP on my spot that's still only 200 HP per cover which is a steal when you consider they cost 1,2500 each to upgrade them in the training tab.
  • I don't want to just quit on the Alliance I'm in now since it's one my friend and I started. I guess I'm just not too confident in my recruiting abilities. icon_razz.gif Can't tell if I should kick some of the members we have to try to get better members or what.

I'll probably buy the next Roster Spot, then look over who we have now to see if there's anyone that should be kicked. Would help a lot of we were able to look at past event results to know how people have usually done.
  • @Alliance perfomance history... Agreed.. That would be nice.
  • Deadly bracket leader is 3k points behind the easy mode leader. Good thing deadly progression rewards are worth twice the points. Don't want to give away too many 250ISO rewards like last event.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:
    Does anyone know if the Heroic Tokens can only be used for this event? I don't need them right now so I plan to save them for the next Heroic event unless they expire at the end of Heroic Venom.

Sorry--I meant Heroic Boosts, not Heroic Tokens. I'm talking about the Target Lock +50% Damage to all enemies/HAMMER/Maggia boosts.

Does anyone know the answer to this? I want to know if the Heroic Boosts for the Venom event expire tomorrow or if I can save them for the next Heroic event.
  • I know it's early, but I'm seeing a lot of horrifically low alliance scores at the top of the deadly bracket. I wonder if we drived up the community scaling so high that the deadly bracket will be won by a bunch of 1* roster alliance, because I honestly have no idea how I am supposed to beat these level 200+ guys all over the place. Okay, I can still beat the goons, and HT required missions are probably beatable too, but that's about it. That doesn't really like a score that can compete for #1, but who knows, maybe we can drive the community scaling to even more insane heights for everyone!

Just checked the top alliance score in normal is 220K versus 160K for deadly. Yes I know people say they're taking it easy this time, but have you looked at the levels of the nodes? At this rate even the HT nodes will be very hard to beat and everything else you might as well forget about it.
  • vudu3 wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:
    Does anyone know if the Heroic Tokens can only be used for this event? I don't need them right now so I plan to save them for the next Heroic event unless they expire at the end of Heroic Venom.

Sorry--I meant Heroic Boosts, not Heroic Tokens. I'm talking about the Target Lock +50% Damage to all enemies/HAMMER/Maggia boosts.

Does anyone know the answer to this? I want to know if the Heroic Boosts for the Venom event expire tomorrow or if I can save them for the next Heroic event.

They hang around for future Heroic Modes. Outside of a Heroic Mode event, these boosts are invisible, so they will "vanish" until the next Heroic Mode. But, they will still be in your inventory even though you won't be able to see them.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    RichHurtz wrote:
    I don't want to just quit on the Alliance I'm in now since it's one my friend and I started. I guess I'm just not too confident in my recruiting abilities. icon_razz.gif Can't tell if I should kick some of the members we have to try to get better members or what.

I'll probably buy the next Roster Spot, then look over who we have now to see if there's anyone that should be kicked. Would help a lot of we were able to look at past event results to know how people have usually done.
    I'm not sure what the recruiting landscape looks like right now, but my impression is that, for alliance commanders, it's a seller's market: there've been several fairly new alliances of various flavors that've quite successfully expanded to high-level reward contention. And remember, the main performance metric that matters isn't roster strength, but activity level.

As vudu3 said above, create a thread in the Alliances subforum, talk a bit about your alliance, its goals, its/your personality, etc. Post a recruitment notice to the "Alliances Looking for Member" sticky thread. Don't be afraid to seek out unaligned forumites whom you think fit your style. In particular, look through the "Players Looking For Alliances" sticky thread for free agents you think are a good fit, and drop them a line. Django used a mix of public and private recruitment, proactively sending PMs and making recruitment threads.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I know it's early, but I'm seeing a lot of horrifically low alliance scores at the top of the deadly bracket. I wonder if we drived up the community scaling so high that the deadly bracket will be won by a bunch of 1* roster alliance, because I honestly have no idea how I am supposed to beat these level 200+ guys all over the place. Okay, I can still beat the goons, and HT required missions are probably beatable too, but that's about it. That doesn't really like a score that can compete for #1, but who knows, maybe we can drive the community scaling to even more insane heights for everyone!

Just checked the top alliance score in normal is 220K versus 160K for deadly. Yes I know people say they're taking it easy this time, but have you looked at the levels of the nodes? At this rate even the HT nodes will be very hard to beat and everything else you might as well forget about it.
    It's a probably combination of that, and a lot of people maxing out the reds from last time, basic mode seems to be going up a lot slower than last time as well
  • Honestly, all this event has done is really make me dislike the scaling method used in this game. It sucks to see when missions I've already had trouble with get even harder. Not because I've beaten it repeatedly, but because others have. Or getting scaled up possibly because of your roster size? It doesn't add fun to the game when I'm going against enemies that can kill me with one countdown tile and having an unlimited supply of power along with the "advantages" the computer gets.

I'll try getting into the top 100 for the normal mode, but I have my doubts about it. With the way this whole event has gone, I'll expect 1 to 2 missions at most before my team needs to be revives/healed.
  • I'm playing probably about half as much as I did first go-round, I still haven't (and almost certainly won't) been able to win all the nodes on deadly (stuck on lower right corner), and nearly half of my matches in deadly are total team wipe-outs.

I was also in places 10 (easy) and 8 (deadly) this morning when I left for work. I only finished top 100 in both first time. I realize this won't last (I'll be at work the last four hours of the event), but I never even reached those ranks first time around. Participation must be way the tinykitty down this time around.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Since the rewards are the same in Round 2 (my 3-star Cap is in good shape) and end during my workday, I have only been focusing on the Normal Venom for now. I intend to start Deadly tonight and try to get a progression token but not going to put as much effort this time around.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I'm playing probably about half as much as I did first go-round, I still haven't (and almost certainly won't) been able to win all the nodes on deadly (stuck on lower right corner), and nearly half of my matches in deadly are total team wipe-outs.

I was also in places 10 (easy) and 8 (deadly) this morning when I left for work. I only finished top 100 in both first time. I realize this won't last (I'll be at work the last four hours of the event), but I never even reached those ranks first time around. Participation must be way the tinykitty down this time around.

Isn't it a good sign that there are less players? It shows that people are telling devs to tinykitty themselves
  • kensterr wrote:
    Isn't it a good sign that there are less players? It shows that people are telling devs to tinykitty themselves

I'm not complaining at all. I just think it's a bit odd. But yes, they need to ratchet down the scaling if they want people to maintain interest.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    kensterr wrote:

I'm not complaining at all. I just think it's a bit odd. But yes, they need to ratchet down the scaling if they want people to maintain interest.

That and also the infinite venom snare along with "impossible to get to and painful" countdown tiles.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Now this is getting absurd.
    Even the Torch missions in deadly are wiping my 128 BP / 110 Psyduck - and Yelena is only at 110.
    Not even going to bother again until the last hour and rubberband my way to top 50.
  • i have done 3 nodes (x2) once a day and i am in top 5 in deadly. Its making a mockery of the pain i went through in round 1 with my lame **** team of max wolvie, BP- 30 and Buff HT.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Turns out Yelena is still easily beatable because she's, well, Yelena.

I think scaling needs to have an individual node component too. Just because you can wipe the floor with level 200 Yelena doesn't mean you can do the same to a level 200 Daken, and good luck fighting a level 200 Venom with 2 purple AP generating sidekicks. The scaling, as far as I can tell, seems nearly universal, unless there are guys out there that are simply wiping out level 300 enemies on Interfence with ease.

The problem with scaling is that people will obviously always pick the easiest mission first (and HT missions are easy and worth a ton of points), and there's nothing wrong with that in itself, but all missions seems to get increased by scaling equally, which means the mission that starts out as borderline impossible quickly becomes impossible, despite the fact that you beating the easy missions says nothing about your ability to actually finish those crazy combinations of enemies.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Funny, switching out Psyduck for MStorm did the trick, easily.
    Now I've done two repeats of the highest two Torch missions and went from 86 to 5.
    So I guess everyone has hit a wall and isn't doing anything in deadly.
    Which of course means that there's absolutely no chance to reach the progression rewards. Again.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    i have done 3 nodes (x2) once a day and i am in top 5 in deadly. Its making a mockery of the pain i went through in round 1 with my lame **** team of max wolvie, BP- 30 and Buff HT.

I'm doing the same thing and I pretty much feel like I am abusing the game. But, that's what they gave us so I'm going to exploit it. I just need one yellow cap cover...