Hollowpoint kiss APR 07 - APR 09

Options

Comments

• I just had a ton of fun climbing to 800. I tried using pretty much my entire A-list - which is 15 characters, 5 2*s, 10 3*s, all 81st level - and managed to use all of them except OBW, who I couldn't (duh), and a handful I forgot about (Doom, Rags, and, oddly, Hulk, who I had planned to). I even used Daredevil. Just threw up a bunch of random combinations and saw how they played off each other. Means I'll have some weird defenses, but - since I'm really just farming ISO point, since I had intended to spend the evening on LRs - I'm not too worried about what happens when Jozier and walkyourpath - who came up in my queue - see my bizarre teams (admitttedly, I think the last was Ares and BP, which is pretty good) and decide they're easy targets. I'm not shielding, I don't think. I need to save HP.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I just had a ton of fun climbing to 800. I tried using pretty much my entire A-list - which is 15 characters, 5 2*s, 10 3*s, all 81st level - and managed to use all of them except OBW, who I couldn't (duh), and a handful I forgot about (Doom, Rags, and, oddly, Hulk, who I had planned to). I even used Daredevil

I think I may have hit you on my way up to 800. Either that or someone else is running Daredevil on a team. I had a moment of "wait, really?" before shrugging and taking the points.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    kidicarus wrote:
    Walala84 wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    The MMR bubble is horrible in this.
    Usually there's at least some randoms thrown in, this time it's The Ladder / Bubbleboy / Walala / SongCn at every skip past 550. Haven't had that before 850 in a long while, wonder if they changed something in the algorithm.

I'm curious about this too....I'm seeing bubbleboy and mostly 141s in my queue now but then again I'm pretty high in the points. This either means:
      I'm in MMR hell i.e. too high
      I'm in MMR heaven but I've gone too low so I'm seeing the top players
      These are the few guys close to my rating so MMR makes little difference

The bolded item is probably it and the fact that there's no one in your point range with the same MMR. I was doing an early push yesterday and some of the above names popped up. So I went and won some shield training rounds and tried untanking! There is a slight difference now but that's also probably because more people have made pushes.

I've played around with this a bunch and I actually believe it's the third. It usually starts around 700-900 points. Tanking/untanking might shake up your matchups a bit, but they'll all still be tough. Essentially at the higher point values, there's not a large enough population to make MMR a relevant factor.

It's almost definitely this. The number of players that are 900+ and not shielded is very small. Those people will likely be the only ones that will show up.
  • mags1587 wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I just had a ton of fun climbing to 800. I tried using pretty much my entire A-list - which is 15 characters, 5 2*s, 10 3*s, all 81st level - and managed to use all of them except OBW, who I couldn't (duh), and a handful I forgot about (Doom, Rags, and, oddly, Hulk, who I had planned to). I even used Daredevil

I think I may have hit you on my way up to 800. Either that or someone else is running Daredevil on a team. I had a moment of "wait, really?" before shrugging and taking the points.

If I retaliate, you probably won't see him again, I have to admit.
  • Right now, I'm at 3rd place in my bracket with 625 points. First place has 749. I only have enough HP for a 3 Hour Shield, so it seems pointless to use it now. More than anything, I've been able to get a lot of Iso-8 saved up for whatever events are coming up. Hopefully I can keep my rank up and possibly get a couple Psylocke covers.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nemek wrote:
    kidicarus wrote:
    Walala84 wrote:
    I'm curious about this too....I'm seeing bubbleboy and mostly 141s in my queue now but then again I'm pretty high in the points. This either means:
      I'm in MMR hell i.e. too high
      I'm in MMR heaven but I've gone too low so I'm seeing the top players
      These are the few guys close to my rating so MMR makes little difference

The bolded item is probably it and the fact that there's no one in your point range with the same MMR. I was doing an early push yesterday and some of the above names popped up. So I went and won some shield training rounds and tried untanking! There is a slight difference now but that's also probably because more people have made pushes.

I've played around with this a bunch and I actually believe it's the third. It usually starts around 700-900 points. Tanking/untanking might shake up your matchups a bit, but they'll all still be tough. Essentially at the higher point values, there's not a large enough population to make MMR a relevant factor.

It's almost definitely this. The number of players that are 900+ and not shielded is very small. Those people will likely be the only ones that will show up.

I think that's fair enough, except the post I was responding was complaining about bubbleboy and songcn at about 550 and I was seeing them at about 600. Not the 900+ point range.

Granted that this is anecdotal, I was wading through single and 2 page roster players and stopped at about 600 about 18 hours from event completion - decided to retreat a bunch in shield training at that point so that I wouldn't have to spend HP on shields (my GSBW is relatively squishy at only 86ish buffed so I didn't want to lose too many points overnight). I decided to cycle through my match ups and saw the above mentioned culprits and sighed silently to myself.

The fact that I am occasionally matched up with SHIELDbros and other hardcore forumites is probably because we tank too much
  • Looks like I need to spend more time in Shield Training. It's getting really hard to find any enemy team with members that are are under Lv100. Hopefully I won't lose too many points in this event during the night...
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I keep missing all of you Shield fella's, and that's fine by me. It's a bummer to come out of a match and see that you were hit twice for -80. Oh well, shielding up for the night and hoping my score will still be good for first in the AM.

EDIT: anyone ever see someone by the name of Slobofix? Pretty impressive roster...maxed 4 stars and BP, Mags, Hood, Hulk, Punisher, and Lazy Thor. How did S.H.I.E.L.D miss this one?
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I keep missing all of you Shield fella's, and that's fine by me. It's a bummer to come out of a match and see that you were hit twice for -80. Oh well, shielding up for the night and hoping my score will still be good for first in the AM.

You do realize you just jinxed yourself, don't you? Next PvP you'll have 2 or 3 of them in your bracket.
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    mags1587 wrote:

You do realize you just jinxed yourself, don't you? Next PvP you'll have 2 or 3 of them in your bracket.

Yea...Probably. It's inevitable though. I'm still happy that I beat The Ladder once.
  • I'm so tanking this one. The rest of my roster is fine- competitive enough- but GSBW isn't a new character so there are tons of people in my bracket with her decently leveled or even maxed and I have her at level 15(which I barely managed to get from the last event). Fun.(not saying I don't like the event or anything, I'm just whining personally about my lack of a playable GSBW)
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    ^ Oh come on, I have a 3/4/2 GSBW and the only thing she does is feed green to Punisher. In LazyThor or Panther tourneys, people have been able to place well despite lacking the cover completely. Just pick your best two and go smashing, this has a desert node, so tons of broken fun.
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    locked wrote:
    ^ Oh come on, I have a 3/4/2 GSBW and the only thing she does is feed green to Punisher. In LazyThor or Panther tourneys, people have been able to place well despite lacking the cover completely. Just pick your best two and go smashing, this has a desert node, so tons of broken fun.

Lazy Thor paired with GSBW in the desert is insane. A team with those two and Spidey almost beat me tonight. There is almost endless green with that team, add in Spidey's stun and it's trouble.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    locked wrote:

I know I'm riding the MStorm pony to victory. Even having one cover for Deceptive Tactics has been amazingly useful.

Just cracked 500 but I don't know that I'll get to 600 unshielded.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    locked wrote:

Lazy Thor paired with GSBW in the desert is insane. A team with those two and Spidey almost beat me tonight. There is almost endless green with that team, add in Spidey's stun and it's trouble.
    Just played against MN Thor and GSBW in Desert, the AI opted to use lvl 23 Widow's Rifle instead of a maxed Call the Storm, but oh well, suits me, I only lost my own Widow and not my entire team.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    mags1587 wrote:

Yea...Probably. It's inevitable though. I'm still happy that I beat The Ladder once.

Hopefully with the addition of alliance chat, there will very rarely have more than one member of SHIELD in a bracket at a time. From what I've heard so far, I think we made it into 20 different brackets for this tourney...hope that keeps up.
  • My battery is @ 11%, so I won't go into detail on how I reached 741 twice, but needless to say, the shield is up, & I ain't commin' out unless my bracket gets banannas and sends me out of Top 10(currently 741 puts me @ #2).

Appologies if I wacked any forum-goers on the way, as I was interweb-restricted and had no practical way of checking names on my nodes.

Anyway, chance of retals happening is 0.0042%, so if I come up, swing away. Or better yet, U-turn so I can add to my 741 total. I won't turn down a blue IW. Yeah, right. Who am I kidding? No-one owes me money here....

Note: Message submitted. Power level @ 9%.
  • I keep missing all of you Shield fella's, and that's fine by me. It's a bummer to come out of a match and see that you were hit twice for -80. Oh well, shielding up for the night and hoping my score will still be good for first in the AM.

EDIT: anyone ever see someone by the name of Slobofix? Pretty impressive roster...maxed 4 stars and BP, Mags, Hood, Hulk, Punisher, and Lazy Thor. How did S.H.I.E.L.D miss this one?

I am responsible for him maxing his X-Force Wolverine. It was just level 190 when I beat his team and 230 when he retaliated.

I mean, it could also be coincidental. I don't want to be "that guy" pointing fingers. At the cheater.
  • MaxCavalera
    MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Blah Ladder just double hit me.. was gonna shield now i gotta push again closer to finish at least ill have juicey hit backs
  • This tourney was actually a lot of fun, unfortunately I don't have more time to spend on it. But I scrapped my idea for using Doctor Doom and IM40 and followed the cue of another poster here and went with cStorm and Spidey. Awesome combo, who knew. It was great to use a whole new comp that works, I love OBW but I'm too dependent on her and it gets boring.