Unstable ISO-8 Rerun 4/1 - 4/7

Options

Comments

• HailMary wrote:
    CNash wrote:
    How on earth do I get the enemy levels to go back down? Will tanking help, and does it matter whether I tank in a PVP event or here in the PVE? I'm not interested in "playing optimally", I just want to enjoy the game and score some progression rewards...
    Tanking in PvP will not help. However, I've seen several people mention that PvE tanking, i.e. losing PvE fights with **** characters, helps with PvE scaling.
    That does not work for me. I tried with over 20 characters.
  • MikeyMan wrote:
    HailMary wrote:
    CNash wrote:
    How on earth do I get the enemy levels to go back down? Will tanking help, and does it matter whether I tank in a PVP event or here in the PVE? I'm not interested in "playing optimally", I just want to enjoy the game and score some progression rewards...
    Tanking in PvP will not help. However, I've seen several people mention that PvE tanking, i.e. losing PvE fights with **** characters, helps with PvE scaling.

Agreed, tried it a few times and didnt notice a difference
  • CNash wrote:
    I just don't get how it could've gotten so hard, so quickly. When I started playing, the enemies were around level 50-60; now they're closer to level 150 after only one attack on each node in the event! Is this the development team's idea of good difficulty scaling?

Its probably due to the event design, I see why this particular event was not run before now. Think how it would have been when they still had zero idea how scaling worked? 230's for everyone 10 minutes into the event.

Now not saying scaling is done or perfected, but its certainly the reason for the issues.

A. Most are goon heavy nodes. People will do anything to not lose to them, boost, unfair tactics, retreat if getting wiped by a countdown with 1 turn left. Losses rarely happen on here and the community scaling will crush you overtime. No matter what the weight.
    B. There are no subs where people can divy there time on the fights they want. There's the goon nodes and the three? fights with partial or full dark avengers. These are scaled lower for me significantly as people take damage and likely get surprised by attacks and cascades. The minimum amount of points on some nodes are very apparent. One node for example gives me 32 points and I only played it once, while some of them give 300. Which one will you repeat?
    C. It is very early in the event and since the mechanics on refreshing and "sub end time" are a complete shot in the dark, people want to get their rewards now and are hitting them lest they lose them.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    MikeyMan wrote:
    That sucks. Good to know, though.
  • We're now just over 8 hours into the event; has anyone had a node reset yet?
  • Holy **** - same thing, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I just logged on to start my first clear.

There's already level 217's. I have one character level 105 (punisher). Spidey has no blues. I may be screwed here.
  • Yeah, this looks like community-based scaling, hitting everyone. So the 'winners' will be those that, while being behind now, reload the game right after we get new nodes: They get all the rubberbanding, and low level opponents.

I for one think that community-based scaling is stupid, as it makes a game that is timing dependent even more timing dependent. Look at Simulator, for instance. Levels go up, bot only one set of levels is really problematic: The one to get the big ISO reward. You have to try to do that early, for safety purposes. For many mid level people without major stuns, it quickly becomes an extremely difficult node, even if they never farm any node.

To make things worse, this event is rather reward-poor, because we don't have all the tokens from sub-events. In simulator, many people get 2 heroic+ tokens every two days, and a few get 4. Here, you get two shots at the tokens, and that's it.
  • Don't be fooled by the level 230 on the enemies when they can't move the board. I'm pretty much clearing them in under 3 minutes without taking any damage, and unless these missions change it's going to be one of the easiest PvE event ever, which means there will be some serious grind at the end to try to grab a lead.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Don't be fooled by the level 230 on the enemies when they can't move the board. I'm pretty much clearing them in under 3 minutes without taking any damage, and unless these missions change it's going to be one of the easiest PvE event ever, which means there will be some serious grind at the end to try to grab a lead.

I agree. 141 Patch and OBW are pretty much killing everything in their paths for me.
  • I snuck in an hour ago to get a bracket without much competition.

Got stuck with the Ferret. No free ride this time.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ghast wrote:
    I snuck in an hour ago to get a bracket without much competition.

I'm lurking in the shadows of your bracket as well. icon_twisted.gif
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Ghast wrote:
    I snuck in an hour ago to get a bracket without much competition.

I'm lurking in the shadows of your bracket as well. icon_twisted.gif
    Hahaha, Ghast, if it makes you feel any better, I thought I got an easy "all the casuals firing this up after work" bracket, esp. since I recognized no one from the forums. Yay, right?

Well, #1 in my bracket is now a guy with 5 L141s.
  • Oh God, I was going to join about an hour ago, but I didn't. So happy to miss scary forum regulars! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    Options
    pretty stupid that it started at ~40 lvl and went up to ~220 (for the biggest point mission) in a matter of several hours...
    they need to seriously re-balance the scaling so that it gives bigger weight to your own wins (grind) and much lower weight to community wins... especially in such 1000 people brackets lawl
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    Vairelome wrote:
    Oh God, I was going to join about an hour ago, but I didn't. So happy to miss scary forum regulars! icon_e_biggrin.gif

+1 for this. I'm still unjoined and was planning on jumping in now-ish. I guess I'll wait an hour or two.
  • Ok so I was busy and couldn't start the event right away. I start just now and do the opening mission, get my cap cover, and then... I've started with some level217 goon nodes straight off the bat. I've tanked quite nicely, only just started the event, plus I played the simulator smart and still only had level80 opponents by the end, so what gives? Why am I being effectively locked out of this event from the get go? What could I have done differently??
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vairelome wrote:
    Oh God, I was going to join about an hour ago, but I didn't. So happy to miss scary forum regulars! icon_e_biggrin.gif

+1 for this. I'm still unjoined and was planning on jumping in now-ish. I guess I'll wait an hour or two.

There's no magic formula to dodge the uber geeks. Hop in and hope for the unwashed masses.
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    When will the next set of nodes appear? Has that been mentioned by anyone yet (couldn't find anything after a cursory search/skimming a few pages of the thread). I'm assuming this event is like the others and a new set comes up every two days or so, right? I just find it odd because I can't find mention of it in the game (just when the entire event ends).
  • Shadow
    Shadow Posts: 155
    Options
    morgh wrote:
    Pretty strange... some guy already at 5900... I am at 4900 and I refuse to grind out the nodes for 50 points a pop... I doubt it anyway if it would allow me to get another 1000 points >.>

Welcome to the world of rubberbanding. The later you do the nodes, the more points you can get out of them. But then again, it also means that the community scaling makes it a very tough battle.
  • Shadow
    Shadow Posts: 155
    Options
    morgh wrote:
    pretty stupid that it started at ~40 lvl and went up to ~220 (for the biggest point mission) in a matter of several hours...
    they need to seriously re-balance the scaling so that it gives bigger weight to your own wins (grind) and much lower weight to community wins... especially in such 1000 people brackets lawl

You got to factor in rubberbanding as well. Simply looking at scaling is just seeing half the picture. Community scaling is doing what it's supposed to do. Otherwise, people will all just wait till the 2 hours before nodes disappear and get the maximum effect of rubberbanding without worrying that the nodes have scaled too much. As it is, if you want to wait to benefit from rubberbanding, you have to deal with the consequence of community scaling.