how did you beat Kaecillius?

Comments

• gamecat235
    gamecat235 Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    I used the Boss Rush Stormfinite build approach and it worked with great success against my level 356 Kaecilius. Build is Mohawk (Storm), KK, and 3Hulk. And basically works by keeping the team alive by regularly firing Storm's powers (primarily green, which builds AP for every power, including itself) triggering KK's healing, allowing you to go far deeper into a battle.

Kk's purple also lets you periodically make matches off green strike tiles, or help set the table for them. And of course Storm's green regularly clears tiles.

Using this approach I beat him on the first try. All three of my chars are champed: Mohawk @ 185 / KK @ 182 / 3Hulk @ 180.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Unfortunately I can't beat the boss. Not going to bang my head repeatedly against a wall.
    His match damage is ridiculously high.
    I can't even get in the game to land a blow if you will.

This is after reading the Advice on all the previous pages.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    The answers in this thread show that it's fun being a three star player. Unfortunately the match damage from a 516 Kaecilius negates most of these fun strategies. Blah
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    As expected Kaecillius was level 513 for me. This is really ... I want to use a word that is not an insult but none come to my mind, so I won't say any, but you get the idea.

I barely make it with PH, Patch + Loki. PH finished with just 2k life. PH was just the meat shield, she does nothing, just tank everything so Patch and Loki can do their magic.

Devs need to understand that they can not use PvE scaling for bosses, specially when there are special mechanics and you have to use 3s to beat it, but with the scaling set for 5s.

Really Devs, this is not fun at all.

PS: Oh and to make things even better I just noticed that Ultron minions have a completely broken scaling. At 410 they have 100k+ hitpoints and their match damage is comparable to 5s, so when they create a critical, which they can do quite often, they do 7-8k damage !!!! Man, this is nuts, I almost don't make it when they were 390, but I don't think I will be able to beat them being 410 :S
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Patch/Witch/QS team worked for me, but I tried (and failed) with a few others first.

Also, the scaling nonsense some of y'all are tossing out there tell me "don't level my 5* until all the 4* are championed."

So in about three years, give or take.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used Red Hulk, Quake and Patch and won on my first try. Champed RH is a big beefy meatshield against Kaecillius' nutso match damage, and shakes the board after a hit. Quake blows up colors that don't have strike tiles on them (team-ups if nothing else will work) and Patch does his usual job of creating purple strikes for me to match away. You rely on RNG a bit more without a purple generator, but RH's 30K+ life provides lots of time to work, and his purple lets you use Berserker Rage more often.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    It took three or four tries with different combos but Patch/hulk/KK eventually won it. I just kept throwing teams at it til I got lucky. It takes some luck. Kaecillius was 406 for me for reference.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    First 2 attempts I went with a puzzley solution and tried Patch/Rulk/SWitch, and Patch/Rulk/QS. Those both failed miserably as the match damage from a 515 makes quick work of my 3*s. Third try I just brute forced through with SS/OML/PHX and won on my first try by making useless matches with OML that he could heal from. Tons of fun. Tons.

Next time I'll probably go with OML/QS since OML will tank black for him. I might at IF to the mix too, but I think a PHX or someone with a larger health pool would fare better.

Definitely agree on Sentry scaling. At around 400 they were approaching insanity levels, and they were just bumped to 416 for my next attempt which I'm not really looking forward to.

Yet another example of 5* rosters getting penalized for progressing......
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I ran OML, Electra, and QS. Electra was defiantly the star as my boss was around 430ish?? I ended up to use shadow step 2 different times to protect myself from damage once before the boss Black fired and then after to avoid match damage. I also brought a Higgs TU which really came in handy as at one point no strike tiles were close to being matchable.
    Overall QS was a good idea but got squashed on a cascade after a blue match
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Patch/Loki/Quicksilver worked for me, even after a stupid mistaken casting of Loki black rather than Quicksilver, ugh. I didn't pay attention to what level he was though; he had 40-45k health.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    3* Bullseye was a revelation. His green allowed me to pinpoint and destroy tiles to match away the strike tiles.

I think i used Rulk and HB to tank because of their high health - honestly don't remember.
  • Ctenko
    Ctenko Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Likely just a Luck Sac. QS, Elektra, Kamala. I wanted to be matching Purple all the time anyway. Elektra tanks a bunch in that set up at 209 against a 407 Kaecillius. So her Shadow Step was actually useful. More though it was getting strikes out for him, that I could then match. Attempting to use powers all the time is terrifying but it worked. Plus QS has cheap powers to use for healing. I was briefly thinking of using my Ha Ha Heal team. But I don't know quite how well it would work.

Star Lord
    Vision
    KK.

Vision tanks two colors, (For me.) and sadly doesn't tank Yellow. But his yellow ignores a pile of Damage, and his abilities cost three when Starlord has a tile out. So, you can heal a lot. And with Vision not taking a lot of damage that's pretty good. Ask allies for Elektra team ups. (it's the only color she can share after all.) And just use those to hasten the end.
  • 8punch
    8punch Posts: 97 Match Maker
    beat him with Dr xavier, invsible and Miles Morales as i suggested in page 1.

i have 2 charchters invisble. however with the shields blocks up and getting stronger because of purple match of dr xavier when he is invisble. it aint really that difficult. you only need to make sure that he does not match black.

i believe he is level

once he matches black and uses his power everybody is dead.

so far have beaten him twice.

1 book left and book middle.

on to the third.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Scaling and roster level on this boss seems to make all the difference in the world, based on what everyone is saying.

My k-whatever boss was 380ish level and I beat him easily with Qsilver, 3Cage, and Kamala on the first try. (Glad I read about how to damage this guy on the forums though, it would have been frustrating to figure out how to damage him otherwise.)

For players in 3* land with a decent Qsilver/Patch this boss isn't going to represent much threat. For 4* land it sounds as though Electra is essential.

Aren't there any 5* out there who generate strike tiles, a la Patch/Electra? Or is every 5* player just rocking OML/Pheonix/SS? (Wait, doesn't OML generate strike tiles? Or is the boss just too overpowering at higher levels?)

This is just another battle that reminds me how important roster diversity is, which is nothing new - diversity has been important since the beginning of the game. You think you don't need a character, or that he/she has no value, or isn't 'top tier', until a battle like this comes along. But I can see where it would be frustrating if the scaling zooms off the charts and doesn't allow you to use your diversity.
  • Ctenko
    Ctenko Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Dormammu wrote:
    Scaling and roster level on this boss seems to make all the difference in the world, based on what everyone is saying.

My k-whatever boss was 380ish level and I beat him easily with Qsilver, 3Cage, and Kamala on the first try. (Glad I read about how to damage this guy on the forums though, it would have been frustrating to figure out how to damage him otherwise.)

For players in 3* land with a decent Qsilver/Patch this boss isn't going to represent much threat. For 4* land it sounds as though Electra is essential.

Aren't there any 5* out there who generate strike tiles, a la Patch/Electra? Or is every 5* player just rocking OML/Pheonix/SS? (Wait, doesn't OML generate strike tiles? Or is the boss just too overpowering at higher levels?)

This is just another battle that reminds me how important roster diversity is, which is nothing new - diversity has been important since the beginning of the game. You think you don't need a character, or that he/she has no value, or isn't 'top tier', until a battle like this comes along. But I can see where it would be frustrating if the scaling zooms off the charts and doesn't allow you to use your diversity.

You would need Phoenix to generate tiles for him. So you already have to have several on the board, otherwise she will not generate tiles for him. And he does, or so I hear, some pretty obscene match damage. So he is burning a bunch of them down I imagine, and once you scale out of where some people are useful, No one is useful anymore. I am finding this out a lot more now that I have a handful of champed four stars. The Three Stars who used to carry me through Galactus and Ultron, and Civil War, with Scaling turned on, are absolutely useless to me now. But I am stuck in a place where I can only go back, by selling all the championed 4 stars I have, and all the Five stars to boot, if I want to play in that previous zone.

And I would like to keep my Ghost Rider. He isn't great but damn it I wanted a Rider.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    This fight is heavily RNG-dictated as has been well-documented.

My Kaecilius is level 401. None of my boosted 4*s are above level 212 this week, though I have 6 4* champs.

Tried Witch, Elektra, QS twice. No dice - had him within 2 strike matches the second time, but he just did too much match damage before I could get anywhere. Black was nowhere to be found on the board to have QS help.

Next team: Patch, QS, Witch. Same basic story, only this time he landed enough black to finish me.

Winning team: Spid3y (boosted to 277), Luk3 (spec'd to 5 red), Rulk (2/5/3 boosted to level 205). Between Rulk's board shake, some of K's match damage being reduced by Luke, and one timely Spidey heal, I somehow managed to get the strikes to fall into place. The starting board was super purple heavy, but K ignored purple for at least his initial 2 matches (maybe 3 but I don't remember). I lost Spidey and almost lost Luke by the end, but the Rulk board shake is what did it. It dropped one strike out of matching range one time, but the rest of the time it helped more than hurt.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    my kaec was 440. for reference my t3 options in event were 405, 383, and 379. I barely made it through with rulk/patch/witch. all 3 survived but just barely. basically witch makes purple so rulk can make green so patch can make purple strikes so witch can match by making purple on the board. that, and deny black. started slow but by the time I could reliably damage him, every turn was a ton of damage to me. very puzzle-y. I may try oml/fist/qs next time.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Sorry, not sure if anyone mentioned this but...I'm pretty sure web tiles work.

I was running low on health and trying to find a way to match a special tile away and just matched a couple of web tiles Miles had made and he was suddenly finished off. Since Miles makes a buttload of web tiles for his yellow and purple moves, this makes things a bit easier. Maybe also combined with similar web heads, if you've got them.
    Can anyone confirm this?
    I'd like to know more about this as well...
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Wanted to say thanks for the great ideas and strategy. I was struggling and knew that someone here cracked the code. My 1 yellow OML with s 121 5/5/0 quicksilver and a 153 4/3/5 scarlet witch got it done.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    Sorry, not sure if anyone mentioned this but...I'm pretty sure web tiles work.

I was running low on health and trying to find a way to match a special tile away and just matched a couple of web tiles Miles had made and he was suddenly finished off. Since Miles makes a buttload of web tiles for his yellow and purple moves, this makes things a bit easier. Maybe also combined with similar web heads, if you've got them.
    Can anyone confirm this?
    I'd like to know more about this as well...

Perhaps Kaelicius was matching his own tiles and doing damage to himself?