PVE: Strange Sights (2016-11-03 to 2016-11-07)

Options

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Player1575 wrote:
    Anyone know if Deadpool whales works for an instant win in this fight? Haven't heard anything about it up to this point, but I don't see why it wouldn't.
    Super whales is currently bugged and only does regular whales damage. Also since the boss does not take damage from abilities just when his strike tiles are removed I don't think it will do any damage at all.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anybody else seeing a huge discrepancy between sub placement and overall? I'm ranked 43rd in the sub, 83rd overall. I started on the Maggia node, and wondering if the middle and right nodes are worth different points.

Same here. Take a closer look at the ranking in the main, you’re actually tied with the same points as everyone else who’s done the first 4 clears in the sub. Since there’s three different subs available, there’s three times as many people in the main than there are in the subs.

They’re equal, but will probably increase in value for everyone for the 2nd day and 3rd.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I haven't joined the event yet, so I can't tell: how do the sub rewards work? Are they given out daily to whatever subset of people in a bracket played that sub that day, or is everything on a 3 day timer and sub rewards go out at the end once everyone in a bracket has had a chance to hit each node?

Same question applies to alliance sub rewards as well. Are they given out daily, or all at the end? Because if they're daily, then I guess it would make sense for an alliance and have all their players focus on one sub each day?
  • StarScream
    StarScream Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Was excited to see the rewards for this thing. I would be able to champ my first character, but these new enemies are way too overpowered. I have to use health packs after every fight. Couple that with the boosted characters are **** with no health, this is just the latest disappointment with this game.
  • Tatercat
    Options
    Sluggo wrote:
    I haven't joined the event yet, so I can't tell: how do the sub rewards work? Are they given out daily to whatever subset of people in a bracket played that sub that day, or is everything on a 3 day timer and sub rewards go out at the end once everyone in a bracket has had a chance to hit each node?

Same question applies to alliance sub rewards as well. Are they given out daily, or all at the end? Because if they're daily, then I guess it would make sense for an alliance and have all their players focus on one sub each day?

It works the same as a normal PVE for sub and alliance rewards. It pretty much is a normal PVE, just with a boss fight at the end of it.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tatercat wrote:
    Anybody else seeing a huge discrepancy between sub placement and overall? I'm ranked 43rd in the sub, 83rd overall. I started on the Maggia node, and wondering if the middle and right nodes are worth different points.

Same here. Take a closer look at the ranking in the main, you’re actually tied with the same points as everyone else who’s done the first 4 clears in the sub. Since there’s three different subs available, there’s three times as many people in the main than there are in the subs.

They’re equal, but will probably increase in value for everyone for the 2nd day and 3rd.

It's also possible that the three subs have three different point values, as there is some variance in the people I can see which is unlikely to be entirely due to non-optimal play at this point. If this is the case, hopefully points don't increase, as it would mean that people playing the subs in different order would have a different theoretical point maximum without any way of knowing the optimal path.

All that said, I don't have Nova, so optimal play doesn't really matter to me. I'm just hoping that I can still get Top 300...
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZootSax wrote:
    Tatercat wrote:

It's also possible that the three subs have three different point values, as there is some variance in the people I can see which is unlikely to be entirely due to non-optimal play at this point. If this is the case, hopefully points don't increase, as it would mean that people playing the subs in different order would have a different theoretical point maximum without any way of knowing the optimal path.

All that said, I don't have Nova, so optimal play doesn't really matter to me. I'm just hoping that I can still get Top 300...

I don't have Nova either.. we better be able to place T300! icon_mad.gif
  • HeyoJayo
    HeyoJayo Posts: 75
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Star Lord/Switch/PX working wonders for me,

Each time one of these new npc fires a countdown, star lord fires one back.. Then just overwrite and redflag.png bomb. Switch will rush the purpleflag.png, and PX will add damage to the match 5s
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Haven't started the event yet, so I can't comment on the implementation of this boss design.

But in theory this is a good idea. Forcing players to use atypical tactics to damage the boss prevents winfinite teams from crushing any boss that lets the players survive for 4 turns, while still providing a potentially enjoyable/puzzle-y challenge.

To be sure, it could be ruined if the boss has stupid 'do X in Y turns or you die' mechanics, does massive match damage (forcing everyone to use only their boosted characters) and can RNG everyone to death instantly if the board falls right. But in theory this is a good need design path.
  • Tatercat
    Options
    ZootSax wrote:

I'm pretty sure each of the three subs are worth the same. An alliance mate is tied with me after the first optimal clear (4 on normal nodes, 2 on the waves) and he choose a different sub than I.

Maybe they're planning to award alliance rewards for the subs at the very end for this event? Once all three have been completed in any order? That would make the most sense but I wouldn't mind have those tokens before then.
  • Poodlec
    Poodlec Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    I have quite important question: do i get to play each door once, or i can do same door twice ? I'm quite satisfied with those hand guys and don't want be poked by dirty fingers or suffer through Ultron sentries...
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Tatercat wrote:
    ZootSax wrote:

I'm pretty sure each of the three subs are worth the same. An alliance mate is tied with me after the first optimal clear (4 on normal nodes, 2 on the waves) and he choose a different sub than I.

Maybe they're planning to award alliance rewards for the subs at the very end for this event? Once all three have been completed in any order? That would make the most sense but I wouldn't mind have those tokens before then.

The t10000 alliances get 2 event tokens with slight variations of ISO between the rankings. Looks like the way they are handling it is by making it rain tokens on everyone. I guess this is the flattening of alliance rewards hifi posted about. Well done D3!
  • HeyoJayo
    Options
    Optimal on the hand door has me at 12544 (12944 including main event)

Playing in lv7 if that changes points in any way.
  • sinburn
    sinburn Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Another event that looks exciting, only to be plagued by **** rewards and overly-RNG or difficult encounters.
  • Tatercat
    Options
    Poodlec wrote:
    I have quite important question: do i get to play each door once, or i can do same door twice ? I'm quite satisfied with those hand guys and don't want be poked by dirty fingers or suffer through Ultron sentries...

The Hand door/portal in mine is showing a red check mark now, where as the others are just locked, so I don't think so.

Could be worse, there could have been a symbiote sub.
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I tried the boss with Loki QS SW

Got close but no win... using QS black to match Strikes. Then when I lost him Loki Black turned them to 462 protects.

Matched a triple Strike tile... only normal damage... Doh

Edit: So three times I have had him down to 2662 then he pulls out his forbidden and wipes the team... minimal team damage until then

Using Patch as the base - tried the Luke cage and hulk combo

Then Electra and rhulk with Patch

Just needing that 1 match more!!

Edit 2: got him with Patch electra and hulk indestructible

Hulks Anger helps to feed patchs green - I saved up as much as I could as well as pink and fired them twice in the same time - so many strike tiles each turn after was a match

Second time around took 2 attempts... because the final ingredient is luck!!
  • Poodlec
    Poodlec Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    I cleared the boss with Patch/Loki/Kamala with only Kamala maxed. Interesting fight, but there was very little black on the board whole fight, so you may call that lucky. And Loki died when boss put out 3 strikes simultaneously. Anyway, that was a good fight, required a bit of strategic thinking. Maybe i will try Falcon next time, no point in having multiple boss strikes on the field anyway and keep damage to minimum is quite important. Or more cheap abilities to keep healing as i use Kamala anyway. Will see, there is alot of interesting variants, but due to my roster i'm quite limited in options.
  • Rojas66
    Rojas66 Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    HeyoJayo wrote:
    Optimal on the hand door has me at 12544 (12944 including main event)

Playing in lv7 if that changes points in any way.

Playing on lv8 and went through the Maggi door. Same points as you right now, 12944.

So looks like points are the same for each door.
  • Tikow
    Tikow Posts: 5
    Options
    Cleared the boss using Banner. Recommend using him if he's on your roster.

If you load up on green and don't use it--since it is pointless here anyway--then Banner always changes back to Hulk after Hulk is killed. Gives you multiple bonus lives/greater opportunities to match enough of the boss strike tiles to win.
  • DCUDCU
    DCUDCU Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I used OML and 3* Bullseye to take down the boss. I let the boss put out strike tiles, then used 3* bullseye's green ability to help make strike tile matches. OML to wall.