Boss Rush Event: Info & Rewards *Updated

Comments

• aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    after potentially chewing through 300k of health from the 3 bosses, ur prize is 45k towards the bar. if this ran like a regular boss battle all 3 bosses combined health should be 45k cause that is the credit. we should instead be getting 300k since that is how much it took to down all 3 them.

Deciding to scale bosses individually to players' rosters necessitated disconnecting boss health from points earned. If they didn't, they would have to either scale the progressions to player's rosters as well, either dynamically or via tiers (and make those tiers forced, not elected), or expect players to be OK with higher level players to be able to complete rounds with fewer successful clears. If the scaling is working properly, the failure rate should be the same for all players regardless of roster strength, so the latter is a non-starter. Unless the scaling is broken. ANd players would revolt either way.

As-is, we are all receiving a %age of a set # of points, based on the %age of scaled boss health we are chewing thru. It's far. Conceptually at least.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stony wrote:

It really does though. I'm not debating that you're getting tough scaling, we all are. However being a 3* (or even strictly 4 with no high 5's) gives you OPTIONS! I have a 454 SS/435 OML/390 PHX. Round 7 I'm facing a Banner with 105k! ONE HUNDRED tinykitty K HEALTH! I can't use winfinite. I can't deny AP with Hood or Loki, I have three tinykitty characters I can use, who get wiped every tinykitty time! (Except once, extremely lucky board). Three shots at it and I'm out of Health Packs. That's not even mentioning the unlock nodes against three 350+ level heroes just to unlock the boss. I understand your frustrations, but don't act like you understand ours.

after potentially chewing through 300k of health from the 3 bosses, ur prize is 45k towards the bar. if this ran like a regular boss battle all 3 bosses combined health should be 45k cause that is the credit. we should instead be getting 300k since that is how much it took to down all 3 them.

this designed is very flawed and should have been fixed after idea was presented as an event. there must have been at least a dozen people who saw this proposal and either didn't read into it or didn't care. i think they should play test every event from start to finish as a whole at every levels from guys fully stacked rosters, mid range rosters, noobs to see how it works. playing a couple early rounds with maxed out rosters and say mission accomplished is probably what they call play testing.

The decoupling of boss health and round progress bars is because of the individual scaling. Stony is facing bosses with 105k; while 4* players get bosses with 50k health. If 1 hitpoint = 1 progress point, then higher level rosters would have an inherent advantage (even if their scaling were equally high) just because they play matches with larger health pools.

Stony: You are right that the pure 3* and even unboosted 4* ranks are basically non-viable given your scaling. but is AP suppression impossible? Perhaps against banner because he chains into that aoe so quickly. But in some other rounds, it seems like you might be able to use 5* + 5* + hood or something to suppress the ai.

And with regard to the options issue, this is isn't unique to the 5* player. Everyone has fewer options when they push up into a new tier of play. 5* players just have it worse because the power curve is so ridiculously high at levels 400+. It's almost like the gap between 4* and 5* power levels is too big, and demi has just been slapping some bandages on that open wound for 13 months with limited success. . .
  • Vhailorx
    Esheris wrote:
    Chipster22 wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Chipster22 wrote:
    even some 3* players on round 6.
    You say that as if you don't understand that scaling results in no advantage to better rosters in this event.

Actually, I was surprised that 3* players were complaining even though they reached level 6 only half way through the event. Should a level 3* player even expect to complete a boss event?

I agree, 4* and 5* players seldom seem to get an advantage from upgrading their rosters.

For an anniversary (or any event really), should any player be locked out? What kind of game company alienates their player base like that? Everyone should be able to compete and have fun, so their game can grow in the process.

But remember, Demi/d3 have a game that forces players to roster new covers or lose them and charges money for new roster slots (so growing a player's roster makes Demi/d3 money; and they have told us that roster slots are a big source of revenue, at least pre-5* buy clubs). And yet they still only give out new release covers to 10% of their playerbase (plus the legions of people who pull that 0.1% lottery ticket and get a cover from token packs)! Despite the fact that a single cover is, by their own admission, effectively useless.

This sort of hard to explain reasoning is not a new phenomenon in MPQ. Remember that anniversary 2 tokens were actively worse than contemporary heroic tokens before player uproar caused a mid-anniversary odds revision.
  • Stony
    Stony Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Stony wrote:

It really does though. I'm not debating that you're getting tough scaling, we all are. However being a 3* (or even strictly 4 with no high 5's) gives you OPTIONS! I have a 454 SS/435 OML/390 PHX. Round 7 I'm facing a Banner with 105k! ONE HUNDRED tinykitty K HEALTH! I can't use winfinite. I can't deny AP with Hood or Loki, I have three tinykitty characters I can use, who get wiped every tinykitty time! (Except once, extremely lucky board). Three shots at it and I'm out of Health Packs. That's not even mentioning the unlock nodes against three 350+ level heroes just to unlock the boss. I understand your frustrations, but don't act like you understand ours.

this designed is very flawed and should have been fixed after idea was presented as an event. there must have been at least a dozen people who saw this proposal and either didn't read into it or didn't care. i think they should play test every event from start to finish as a whole at every levels from guys fully stacked rosters, mid range rosters, noobs to see how it works. playing a couple early rounds with maxed out rosters and say mission accomplished is probably what they call play testing.

Stony: You are right that the pure 3* and even unboosted 4* ranks are basically non-viable given your scaling. but is AP suppression impossible? Perhaps against banner because he chains into that aoe so quickly. But in some other rounds, it seems like you might be able to use 5* + 5* + hood or something to suppress the ai.

And with regard to the options issue, this is isn't unique to the 5* player. Everyone has fewer options when they push up into a new tier of play. 5* players just have it worse because the power curve is so ridiculously high at levels 400+. It's almost like the gap between 4* and 5* power levels is too big, and demi has just been slapping some bandages on that open wound for 13 months with limited success. . .

I was using Hood before 7. It's impossible now.

And I agree, I was just saying 5* has it worse. Which it sounds like you agree with. icon_e_smile.gif
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx wrote:
    This sort of hard to explain reasoning is not a new phenomenon in MPQ. Remember that anniversary 2 tokens were actively worse than contemporary heroic tokens before player uproar caused a mid-anniversary odds revision.

I'll give them this, the anniversary Vault was way better than the tokens last year. Lots of star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png covers for me. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:

I'll give them this, the anniversary Vault was way better than the tokens last year. Lots of star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png covers for me. icon_e_smile.gif

The vault and the double ISO are the only things that even approach the definition of "saving grace."
  • Pope Belligerent
    Pope Belligerent Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Chipster22 wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Chipster22 wrote:
    You say that as if you don't understand that scaling results in no advantage to better rosters in this event.

Actually, I was surprised that 3* players were complaining even though they reached level 6 only half way through the event. Should a level 3* player even expect to complete a boss event?

I agree, 4* and 5* players seldom seem to get an advantage from upgrading their rosters.

Speaking as someone who has only recently started the 3* transition with any seriousness (in the past week I got up to 7 champed 3*, 4* roster is mostly 1 or 2-cover, nobody above 5 covers), I completely understand that you guys up in 5* land are getting the worst of this, but we're getting pretty wrecked too. I have all the characters I'd need for winfinite, but none of them are fully covered, or even close. I have very limited options too, given who's boosted - I've basically had to play 3Cyc/Doom/3Hulk, because I don't have anything else boosted enough to even make a dent past the third round.

tl;dr: Scaling-wise, we might have it easier down here in 3* land, but a lot of us have underdeveloped rosters and are getting our kitties kicked. I am pretty clearly going to flame out at round 5.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    an1979 wrote:
    I went into tryhard mode - just to see how sick later rounds are (and maybe grab that yellow)

However not only is this event TiNyKiTTy up! but as always this game stays buggy as hell!
    (Of course making banners slowing down the game takes priority over fixing crashes and testing events... I bet those last 2 days were spent hard on new ones!)

Using Hulkfinite.

I got 30.000 (or maybe even 15.000) in round 7 for at least 3 times instead of 45.000
    Points for one (or two) boss were not counted.
    It seems that if you manage to make "no moves given to boss" you might get a fat NOTHING!

Before boss: 73.739
    2z4i9w5.png

All 3 bosses killed +45.000
    As it is counting down it should be: 73.739 - 45.000 = 28.739
    However only 30.000 is deducted: 73.739 - 30.000 = 43.739
    nfquc9.png

After boss ("outside): 43.739 where it should be 28.739
    9uc6zn.png

In the end I had to do about 4 more clears in round 7!

It seems you have to allow (both 2nd and 3rd) boss maybe one move near the end when you have ~30AP greentile.png to immediately clean after him?

I have to stand corrected - givinng a boss one round does not secure your points in this buggy TinyKiTTy.
    You still get NOTHING from some bosses.

Round 8

Before boss: 384.607
    sngk5c.png

All 3 bosses killed +90.000
    As it is counting down it should be:
    384.607 - 90.000 = 294.607
    However this time only 60.000 is deducted:
    384.607 - 60.000 = 324.607
    2im6mqf.png

After boss ("outside): 324.607 where it should be 294.607
    72dsoz.png
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    Esheris wrote:
    Chipster22 wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Chipster22 wrote:

For an anniversary (or any event really), should any player be locked out? What kind of game company alienates their player base like that? Everyone should be able to compete and have fun, so their game can grow in the process.

Not being able to complete (win) an event does not equal being locked out of an event.

Would it be wrong for 1* players to be able to reach a certain point in an event, 2*s a little further, 3*s further yet, etc.?

Then the next time the event is run, the player would have the satisfaction of having an improved roster and reaching a higher goal.

At least for some of the events.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just noticed something: I'm on round 7 and I'm only a 3rd of the way through the progression ladder. Seriously, after sweat and blood getting here, I'm staring at a /25/ HP reward next. I calculate that when (if) I get to end of round 7, I'll be at the halfway point. That means that they "designed" the progression ladder so you'd only get the better half of it by plowing through the full round 8! That's flabbergasting, even for an event already riddled with baffling flaws.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I just noticed something: I'm on round 7 and I'm only a 3rd of the way through the progression ladder. Seriously, after sweat and blood getting here, I'm staring at a /25/ HP reward next. I calculate that when (if) I get to end of round 7, I'll be at the halfway point. That means that they "designed" the progression ladder so you'd only get the better half of it by plowing through the full round 8! That's flabbergasting, even for an event already riddled with baffling flaws.

Total points if you beat round 8 is 1.4 million. The boss bar is 680,000, so it is roughly half like you said.
  • guib
    guib Posts: 83 Match Maker
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]*Update: 1:25 PM 10/14/16

Greetings, all.

The dev team wanted to let everyone know they have been reading your feedback and taking it into consideration. Here's word from Anthony at Demiurge:
      "Hey everyone, We're trying a bunch of new stuff with the initial run of Boss Rush and we appreciate hearing your thoughts. We'll look at our data to see how people did and combine that with the feedback to help improve future runs of the event. Thanks for playing the event, and keep the feedback coming!"

so, obviously
    after Last Year Anniversary theme which was : " You're supposed to lose "
    the new theme this year is : " We're supposed to care, lol ? "

awesome... can't wait for next year icon_e_wink.gif
  • Vhailorx
    guib wrote:

so, obviously

"Just shut the **** up and give us your money already!" icon_e_smile.gif

But at the risk of breaking the negativity: are the sub nodes scaling a little bit better than in prior boss events? My nodes were only level 230 during this past reset. I don't remember them being that low late on Saturday in prior events. Is my memory faulty, or has the scaling actually be a smoother curve for this event (and totally overshadowed by the brutally difficult boss events)
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    are the sub nodes scaling a little bit better than in prior boss events? My nodes were only level 230 during this past reset. I don't remember them being that low late on Saturday in prior events. Is my memory faulty, or has the scaling actually be a smoother curve for this event (and totally overshadowed by the brutally difficult boss events)
    These are also scaled to your roster, mine were a "EASY" 323 at last reset
  • Vhailorx
    fmftint wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    are the sub nodes scaling a little bit better than in prior boss events? My nodes were only level 230 during this past reset. I don't remember them being that low late on Saturday in prior events. Is my memory faulty, or has the scaling actually be a smoother curve for this event (and totally overshadowed by the brutally difficult boss events)
    These are also scaled to your roster, mine were a "EASY" 323 at last reset

Well, scaled or not, they have been easier to handle later into the event that i expected. Is this true for 3* players? What about 5* rosters?
  • RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Vhailorx wrote:
    guib wrote:

so, obviously

"Just shut the tinykitty up and give us your money already!" icon_e_smile.gif

But at the risk of breaking the negativity: are the sub nodes scaling a little bit better than in prior boss events? My nodes were only level 230 during this past reset. I don't remember them being that low late on Saturday in prior events. Is my memory faulty, or has the scaling actually be a smoother curve for this event (and totally overshadowed by the brutally difficult boss events)

Its slightly better than the last event. Not much though. Its the next reset where they became unplayable for me last event, so we'll see if that changes.
  • guib
    guib Posts: 83 Match Maker
    RoboDuck wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    guib wrote:

so, obviously

"Just shut the tinykitty up and give us your money already!" icon_e_smile.gif

Its slightly better than the last event. Not much though. Its the next reset where they became unplayable for me last event, so we'll see if that changes.

and there is still the bug that waves subnodes are again at the same high levels as the others
    I was relieved to see that in first rounds, it took into account yhat since waves had 6 ennemies instead of 3, the lvls were adapted,
    but its no longer the case since a few refreshes icon_e_sad.gif
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    made it to rd 8 not going further have to save health packs for final pvp and shield sim. this boss rush event was kind of a stinker.
  • Astroy
    Astroy Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    I'll just say this. I'm tired of having my **** handed to me 6 times every 8hrs.

There is a difference between challenging and totally impossible to play.

Giving up on boss rush. Pity that an exciting anniversary ending in such a frustrating manner.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just a reminder "Never ever run this event ever again."

1) unless scaling is fixed.
    2) health of all 3 bosses = points given per completion.

Next Anniversary make it players version of "fun" not Dev's version of "challenging". Anniversaries are about being happy we are together, not dreading seeing one another.
This discussion has been closed.