Boss Rush Event: Info & Rewards *Updated

Options

Comments

• JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Events like this make me want to quit the game. This whole season has been pretty mediocre up to this point and Boss Rush has made it the worst one yet. The fact that nothing was learned from last Anniversary's feedback makes me question my decision to continue being a part of this game and community. I'm sick of being ignored. I'm sick of being patronized (you're supposed to fail). I'm sick of paying money for something that isn't enjoyable (I stepped buying regularly 3 months ago).

If this game is to last the 10 years that the devs think it will then some major changes are going to need to be made.

More community engagement.
    Listen to the community, not just a few big spenders.
    Test your events better, because I KNOW there was no way there was time to test this event properly with NYCC happening at the same time.
    Compensate better when you screw something up.
    Provide better customer service overall.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    moving my comment to this thread:

this is the worst event ever.

not only are you double dipping on rewards (individual players get progression rewards AND they get round clears?), so that you get the player progression for points but your points also give you round rewards, but you are also eliminating the need to be in a good alliance. I normally fall somewhere in the middle for my alliance, right around 10 out of 20. The top players are really good, and the bottoms are generally more laid back players or just starting out. Normally, we all just play boss battles as far as we can take them, and the heavy hitters (admittedly) carry us to the final rewards. It helps people build better rosters, while the already good rosters get likeable rewards as well.

now? If you are in a **** alliance, you can rank at the top. You carry no one to the finish line, so why compete against friends and such. The end alliance rewards are a joke. Also. the scaling is out of control. I have never had THIS much trouble getting out of the 4th round. I will absolutely be unable to make it to round 6. I was so excited to see Peggy as a reward for a boss event, and now I won't even sniff any of those covers. I can't believe they managed to screw up boss battles even further. WAY TO GO!
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dissenting (sort of) opinion time!

First time attempting round 6. Using OML (420), Phoenix (435), Scarlet Witch (i dunno. 190-something).

I accidentally popped my own OML claws in the first round vs OML. I was terrified that not having his healing ability was going to make this a quick loss. I survived the fight against the boss OML and found myself facing a gigantic phoenix with about 90K health. It turns out that I was REALLY lucky to have popped those claws. My own phoenix cascade had built up enough red AP to cast OML's red three times in a row, and since he was low on health it did the bonus damage. Boss Phoenix got one turn, then died on the next hit.

Then I saw the Surfer. Shiny and terrifying. He hit OML once with Cosmic Beam and dropped him like a sack of potatoes. Two turns later he took down my Phoenix. Poor, lonely, 3* Scarlet Witch was the last man standing. But behold! From the ashes rose my own own Phoenix with enough green AP fury to cast it twice, bringing Surfer down to just enough health where a simple match-3 could end the round.

Guys, this was actually fun. No sarcasm.

BUT, I recognize that it was INSANELY lucky that all of the above happened. And I'm sort of dreading trying it again. And I have no idea how anyone is going to beat this without high-level 5*s and a lot of good breaks.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Events like this make me want to quit the game. This whole season has been pretty mediocre up to this point and Boss Rush has made it the worst one yet. The fact that nothing was learned from last Anniversary's feedback makes me question my decision to continue being a part of this game and community. I'm sick of being ignored. I'm sick of being patronized (you're supposed to fail). I'm sick of paying money for something that isn't enjoyable (I stepped buying regularly 3 months ago).

If this game is to last the 10 years that the devs think it will then some major changes are going to need to be made.

Test your events better, because I KNOW there was no way there was time to test this event properly with NYCC happening at the same time.

Holy ****, 10 years!?! We'll be on 20* characters by then, running the same tired PVEs against Dark Avengers.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm not sure if something has been changed but I'm seeing a big difference in round 5. My first fight was a joke getting destroyed last night. I got up this morning and while the reported levels are the same, the bosses had about 30K less HP and were not hitting as hard.

Anyone else seeing this?
  • Bohemond
    Bohemond Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Orion wrote:
    Round 6 update! Yes, I made it to round 6.

Roster: champed OML/SS/Bucky

1st boss - OML. Yeah, not nice
    2nd boss - Phoenix

Just don't. Don't even play this level if you want to keep your sanity. Phoenix is literally impossible to beat. Well over 100k health, she creates 5 red tiles a turn, then when there's a certain number on the board she destroys them all and collects the red AP. She uses the red AP to 1-shot someone and destroy all of your AP.

Tl;dr - abandon all hope, ye who enter round 6.

Orion, I agree that round 6 is mind bogglingly difficult (surfer is as bad as jean, if not worse). However, it can be beat! I have been running with TA hulk, Prof X and X23. If you get out enough tiles against OML, professor X can hide in the corner as everyone else dies and the world collapses around him. Got a win on my first try, but it does require things to bounce the right way for you.
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well, isn't this special! I have actually made it to Round 4 (boy, I really needed that Mohawk Storm cover icon_rolleyes.gif !!!!!) I have 5 champed 4*'s, with the highest level being my 278 Hulkbuster. Even boosted, Dr. Doom is 289. By Round 3, I'm seeing the bosses at 380 and higher. Now they are at 400. Will I beat round 4? Only if they keep this going for the next month. And the side nodes are still giving out standard tokens and team up boosts?? I can understand the idea of "you are supposed to loose", but not on the first turn the boss has. What happened to scaling based on your roster? Maybe we should ask Sasquatch, or the Loch Ness Monster or the unicorn that lives in the forest near me!!! I am sure they will have the answer! I have to echo the sentiment of many I have seen on the forums here and say that this is a mirror of the first Galactus run. What a goat rope!!!!!! Even with maximum additions to AP, damage boosts, etc., I'm lucky to beat the first boss. Then I have to worry about two more with less than 10,000 points left between my team of three (and in most cases, only two)? Are you tinykitty tinykittying me???????? I was actually enjoying this anniversary more than the last one until now.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    Options
    [spioler]Events like this make me want to quit the game. This whole season has been pretty mediocre up to this point and Boss Rush has made it the worst one yet. The fact that nothing was learned from last Anniversary's feedback makes me question my decision to continue being a part of this game and community. I'm sick of being ignored. I'm sick of being patronized (you're supposed to fail). I'm sick of paying money for something that isn't enjoyable (I stepped buying regularly 3 months ago).

Provide better customer service overall.[/spoiler]

Demiurge, when you start losing the favor of your sponsored players, and i think sponsored is an appropriate term since they recieve a monthly stipend if in game currency/goods, you reely should pay attention.

This is not fun for anyone
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Orion wrote:
    Round 6 update! Yes, I made it to round 6.

Roster: champed OML/SS/Bucky

1st boss - OML. Yeah, not nice
    2nd boss - Phoenix

Just don't. Don't even play this level if you want to keep your sanity. Phoenix is literally impossible to beat. Well over 100k health, she creates 5 red tiles a turn, then when there's a certain number on the board she destroys them all and collects the red AP. She uses the red AP to 1-shot someone and destroy all of your AP.

Tl;dr - abandon all hope, ye who enter round 6.

She is less nasty with a 4* roster, but then you get the bonus prize of a SS who has been given the power to spam those same stupid tiles from the Galactus boss fight.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Every other boss event has static levels that gradually increase and top out at 450 (or is it 550?)

Why on earth did you pick the 'celebration' event to change that formula (which worked fine) and bring in bosses from hell?
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Options
    xidragonxi wrote:

Great! Maybe you could provide some tips on how to make this enjoyable?
    Using OML (420), Phoenix (435)

Ah. Nevermind.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If this game is to last ... 10 years.

If all good things come to an end them this game will last forever. (yes, that"s both sarcasm and faulty logic.)

Of course there was.
    1. Should have been tested before the con. Cons arent surprises. They are schefuled years in advance.
    2. How many people does it take to man a booth?
    3. Marketers should attend cons, devs should be busy dev'ing (and testing)
    4. Why would the QA team be at the con?
    5. Ok, of course i realize the devs are east coast and thus they were local-ish. And they are probably underresourced and behind schedule. And feel entitled to attending cons. Soooo ... Use the con as a testbed.

Sarcasm aside. the booth at NYCC was D3Go, not Demiurge. Pubs, not devs. I assume Demiurge staff was all back at the office, working away.

Madrox is expressing the frustration of many players, but imagine his position as a mod. He's try to maintain a community for a pub and dev that constantly sets him up to fail, IMO. And as an alliance comm*, I feel the same way. We try to advise players, get them engaged, keep them informed, get them pumped about events, and over and OVER because the pubs a/o devs will not communicate fully in regards to new events, we are made to look like fools. Time and again, I have to go back to the guys and say, "Well, sorry fellas, looks like they screwed us again. Let's pick up the pieces as best we can ... maybe next time we can guess correctly ..."

* Well, more like an organizer at best, instigator at worst, never in"command" of anything, but the roster still says "commander". When the alliance likes me anyway.
  • Jdob84
    Jdob84 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2016
    Options
    72419406.jpg
    I know you just read that in his voice..didnt you..

..just trying to lighten the mood..
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    xidragonxi wrote:

Ah. Nevermind.

Haha.. what's funny is that I truly feel that my roster is in a **** middle-ground, where it's not good enough (no champ 5*s) but too good where my scaling is bonkers and PVP MMR is horrendous.

Some people in my alliance have been using OML/Quicksilver/Professor X, which has some winfinite capabilities. You have to be lucky though because either QS or Prof can go down quick and hard.

I had some other success using 4* Deadpool with OML and Phoenix. Any match damage from the bosses is enough to trigger X-Enforcer, but I also wiped once with this team.

It all comes down to luck, which is a shame, because the experience I described in my post was really fun. It just isn't repeatable.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    xidragonxi wrote:

Ah. Nevermind.
    That's unfair, the bosses are scaled, so the 5*s have a much harder time IMO. They are forced to use just a handful of available characters (very few people have more than three 5* champs), and the scaling goes vertical around level 500 (which is what 5* players start to see starting round 5). I would MUCH rather be able to pick from my pool of fifteen champed 4*s than be locked in to OML/Phx/Support Character.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 701 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Woke up this morning, thought "maybe I'll give Boss Rush another go."

Then I realized it's been a while since my last colonoscopy and figured one of those would be less uncomfortable.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If they didnt have the time to fully complete this new boss event they could have just run an established one like Galactus for the anniversary event and saved this one till another time, although as has been mentioned devs and testers should not be spending much if any time at the con anyway.

One thing they have to do in the future is give a clear impression of the level of difficulty of a new event prior to it starting, people were going into this one expecting to get through it as easily (or not) as any other boss events and make it easier for people to know whether or not to skip them.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I managed to kill all t4 bosses with Prof X, Iron Fist and Scarlett (plus some teamups reating strike/attack tiles).

Thanks to prof X invisibility + strenghtening, attack/strike tiles from IF, and purples from SW, i was able to kill bosses with 5k+ damage per round while Prof X was invisible.

I hope it helps, i cant find another combo so far (worst was 186 points for tier 5 boss - awesome)
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Listen to the community...but let's go lock all the threads where the community is giving voice to their displeasure. Because one ten page thread that a red name has to read all of to get a sense of what's what is going to get the point across better than a half-dozen 'oh **** this' threads whose very existence ought to be a hint that there's a problem without even having to read them.

I get it, mod voice versus private player voice, but there's an enormous cognitive disconnect there.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Don't think having decent 5* is gonna save you... Round 5-6 scaling is still brutal.

image.png

image.png
This discussion has been closed.